• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Americans eat too much salt (surprise), CDC survey finds source of sodium (surprise!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I'm surprised... yet not. During my last trip to America I noticed that flatbread such as the one used for rolls is much tastier than the yucky European kind, usually bland and tasteless to the point of almost being neutral. I guess this explains it.

Edit: And American bagels are like a calorie assplosion in my mouth compared to German ones. Holy fuck, those things are rich.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I don't have time to slice my own bread for sandwiches. Also, anytime I try to slice bread like that, it's either hard as a rock or collapses under pressure.

They don't say "it's the best thing since gourmet bread" for a reason.

What kind of knife do you have? A proper bread knife should slice through pretty much all bread in a second or two

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Wouldn't the refined white flour in most breads be more of a health problem than the sodium?

Wthermans

Banned
What kind of knife do you have? A proper bread knife should slice through pretty much all bread in a second or two

Whatever is in the cutting block. Don't got the money to spend on separate utensils when sliced bread works just fine. Also don't have the money for the gourmet breads given they tend to average $2/loaf more than their sliced counterparts.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wouldn't the refined white flour in most breads be more of a health problem than the sodium?

Yes, of course. I really doubt the sodium levels are even causing anyone problems.

RotBot

What am I to make of this?

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=its-time-to-end-the-war-on-salt

This week a meta-analysis of seven studies involving a total of 6,250 subjects in the American Journal of Hypertension found no strong evidence that cutting salt intake reduces the risk for heart attacks, strokes or death in people with normal or high blood pressure. In May European researchers publishing in the Journal of the American Medical Association reported that the less sodium that study subjects excreted in their urine—an excellent measure of prior consumption—the greater their risk was of dying from heart disease. These findings call into question the common wisdom that excess salt is bad for you, but the evidence linking salt to heart disease has always been tenuous.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Fix'd.

I don't even care anymore, everything is bad for you.

If it tastes decent, spit it out. What you don't know about being alive might kill you.

Nope, just the bad things are. Plenty of delicious, whole foods that are healthy for you, too.

verbum

Oh, wow! So that's bread!?

Man, I wish we had bread in America :(

We do, try the Publix Grocery bakery, Kroger bakeries are shit. Or find a local bakery and see what they have.
I make my own bread from time to time. It's not hard if you have a nice stand mixer like Kitchen Aid or Sunbeam Heritage mixers. Takes about 30 minutes to mix it, a hour to rise, and another 40 minutes to bake it. The mixer does the kneading for you.
A good feeling is smelling the yeast from rising bread and then the smell of baking bread.

RDreamer

We haven't eaten store bought bread in months. We got a bread maker a couple months ago, and have been using that for a while to make all of our bread from scratch. We also only make wheat bread. It's much tastier and healthy for you than that shitty white bread stuff you buy in the store.

We do, try the Publix Grocery bakery, Kroger bakeries are shit. Or find a local bakery and see what they have.
I make my own bread from time to time. It's not hard if you have a nice stand mixer like Kitchen Aid or Sunbeam Heritage mixers. Takes about 30 minutes to mix it, a hour to rise, and another 40 minutes to bake it. The mixer does the kneading for you.
A good feeling is smelling the yeast from rising bread and then the smell of baking bread.

Just grab a bread maker. Funny enough Goodwill gets them in all the time, so you can buy one for like 5 bucks. If it doesn't work, go buy another one. Takes like 2 minutes at most to mix the stuff together and it has less cleanup than making it with a mixer and all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom