• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Americans eat too much salt (surprise), CDC survey finds source of sodium (surprise!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryehn

I can't fathom how Americans can be addicted to the uniform crap Americans refer to as bread..

This is bread:

aLRrQ.jpg

lUhi3.jpg

QH8Pb.jpg

/edit

thx. haven't seen that for a while :D

I eat "good" breads too, but they're still loaded with sodium more often than not.

Bavarian rye breads are a great low sodium option.

gdt

I just eat 100% whole grain bread for sandwiches. Yum..................my. Usually have one sandwich a day, sometimes 2.

TheMan

interestingly, food stamps in KY can't be used to buy white bread, only darker bread (whole grain, etc). So that's a good start, i guess.

RevDM

Banned
Just checked my Nature's Own Whole Wheat Bread only has 115mg per slice. I wonder if "breads" is referring to hamburger buns from fast food joints.

RevDM

Banned
Is Sodium even bad for you?

Sodium itself is not toxic. What sodium does is cause you to retain body water, and you can't excrete sodium as fast as you intake it (ie. positive sodium balance). Increased body water means increased fluid in your vascular system, meaning higher blood pressure. The disease sequelae of hypertension are numerous.

I can't fathom how Americans can be addicted to the uniform crap Americans refer to as bread..

This is bread:

aLRrQ.jpg

lUhi3.jpg

QH8Pb.jpg

/edit

thx. haven't seen that for a while :D

we do have bakerys that make fresh bread, which is awsome and is so much better then the one that is made in a factory.

clav

I don't understand Chipotle GAF.

Chipotle burritos and condiments especially the guacamole are full of salt.

Grinchy

Banned
ewww french people eat bread that's just sitting out all day for people to touch and for flies to spit all over?

I make my own bread. And it usually gets a teaspoon of salt for an entire loaf.

I didn't know store bought bread had so much sodium wtf.

I have a gluten allergy, so those pictures are making me cry. But I thought another study recently said sodium intake doesn't matter? I thought inflammation and controlling it is the new bad guy in heart problems, not the fat/sodium stuff. (Maybe I read too many LCHF books because that is my diet because of my allergy and my perception is skewed)

ronito

Bread?
No.

I will not sacrifice my bread. We've made too many compromises already; too many sacrifices. They said "burgers are bad!" and I stopped eating them. They said, "Doughnuts are terrible" and I stopped eating them. Not again. The line must be drawn here! This far, no further!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I loved bread once, and then I educated myself. I can't believe I grew up thinking it was more on the 'healthy' side of things. Oh well, live and learn.

With that said, what exactly is "too much salt"? I doubt that's true for most people.

RevDM

Banned
Any suggestions for inflammation control? Links would be appreciated.

Inflammation (loosely used) is one of the main causes of atherosclerosis which leads to heart attacks and other cardiovascular complications. Damage to the lining of the blood vessel (aorta, for example) allows LDL fat particles to enter. These fat particles become oxidized and are dangerous. Your body responds to this by sending in immune cells to eat up the oxidized, dangerous fat particles. Unfortunately the oxidized fat ends up hanging out inside the immune cells and eventually the entire area is "scarred" over (fibrin) trapping the immune cells and oxidized fat. This is called Atherosclerosis.

But as you can see, it's not so much the inflammation that needs to be controlled, it's the damage to the vessel lining and entrance/oxidation of the LDL fat particles. Controlling these parameters are far more effective in reducing incidences of heart problems.

I make my own bread. And it usually gets a teaspoon of salt for an entire loaf.

I didn't know store bought bread had so much sodium wtf.

A teaspoon of salt is a lot of sodium, that's approx 2.3g

I however don't think that large amounts of sodium in the diet is necessarily bad. The studies linking it to hypertension were poorly done

Bread?
No.

I will not sacrifice my bread. We've made too many compromises already; too many sacrifices. They said "burgers are bad!" and I stopped eating them. They said, "Doughnuts are terrible" and I stopped eating them. Not again. The line must be drawn here! This far, no further!

you have my sword.

They can take our bread but they'll never take OUR FREEDOM!!

Seriously though, nobody better take my bread. What would I make grilled cheeses and PB&Js out of?

Wthermans

Banned

This is bread:

http://i.imgur.com/aLRrQ.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/lUhi3.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/QH8Pb.jpg[IMG]

/edit

thx. haven't seen that for a while :D[/QUOTE]

I don't have time to slice my own bread for sandwiches. Also, anytime I try to slice bread like that, it's either hard as a rock or collapses under pressure.

They don't say "it's the best thing since gourmet bread" for a reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom