• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs coming Fall 2012 by the developers of Dear Esther?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Clunky interface? Its controls are basically standard FPS lite + clicking on items to acquire them or physically interact with them...

As for your issues with the visuals, you'd think you could have seen those in all the media, official and otherwise, before getting it.

The demo also has remixed elements and isn't as nicely paced or as moody as the full game, which you would probably like less...

lol it sounds like his PC is weak so he had to try it on Onlive with lag and all that hence complaints about controls.

also what scaries some people doesn't work for others.

sam27368

Banned
Big site update!
takes you to - http://maps.google.com/maps?q=506+2...6+2nd+Ave,+Seattle,+Washington+98104&t=h&z=16
and the image is now unblurred.
yVKkz.jpg

McHuj

Amnesia was one of my favorite games of the last couple years. A lot better then some big budget titles, I really hope these guys can deliver again. Looking forward to it.

Amnesia was one of my favorite games of the last couple years. A lot better then some big budget titles, I really hope these guys can deliver again. Looking forward to it.

The lead designer behind the game did a talk in my city last year, and he said that they really only scratched the surface of what they will be able to do, since a lot of Amnesias neat tricks were made shortly before launch, and they didn't have enough time to actually make it as awesome as they could.

Carcetti

Well, this is now officially my most awaited game now.

I don't think any dev has been able to make both horror and classic lovecraftian style work in a game so well.

A new Amnesia game it is? Neat, can't wait. Even though I really enjoyed it for the castle setting, I dunno if I'd like something in the vein of their prior games (And looking at the art, it might be something like that?)

The only thing from Amnesia that I'd want to see fixed is that they provide a map. Either I didn't find it back then, or there wasn't anything for orientation in the game. (Horror-)Adventures just need that. The lack of such was especially annoying in the
prison
and the final map, that just had one giant dark room, which kinda killed some of the atmosphere for me.

ArjanN

wow. enjoying the reaction to Justine from people in here.

anyone who finds Amnesia 'too scary' really really confuses me. the penalty for being caught is close to zero, and sometimes you get rewarded for being caught. Deadly Premonition is scarier despite being completely utterly ridiculous, because the enemies actually kill you, and they do so in the nastiest goddamn way.

see, that's all i want from Amnesia. enemies that do something really nasty to me, and for dying to actually MEAN something other than 'we put you in a room right nearby with all the stuff you had, and without undoing your progress at all'.

that's why i loved Justine. i mean, they don't have to go to THAT level of penalty for dying... but damn. maybe i'll replay Amnesia and set it up so that when i die someone shoots me with a BB gun and formats my hard drive.

i'm just really hoping Amnesia 2 is a teeeeeny bit meaner, to go along with the solid level design, enemy design, and incredible atmosphere. then i won't have to be jealous of all you babies that were scared by it ;)

oh and a good final encounter next time too please.

I thought they were pretty smart in the way they handled dying. It really isn't very different from you just pressing reload and then going back to the latest checkpoint. Reloading and then having to do sections over/puzzles over would probably be more frustrating and game-y.

IMO a horror game works better if you don't think about it on a meta/game design level that much.

I'll agree the ending could have been better though.

A new Amnesia game it is? Neat, can't wait. Even though I really enjoyed it for the castle setting, I dunno if I'd like something in the vein of their prior games (And looking at the art, it might be something like that?)

The only thing from Amnesia that I'd want to see fixed is that they provide a map. Either I didn't find it back then, or there wasn't anything for orientation in the game. (Horror-)Adventures just need that. The lack of such was especially annoying in the
prison
and the final map, that just had one giant dark room, which kinda killed some of the atmosphere for me.

I don't think it really needed a map. If the lights were on you'd notice the areas are actually pretty linear and smaller than you think. They're only just big enough to give you the idea you might have gotten lost, but not big enough that you actually can.

I thought they were pretty smart in the way they handled dying. It really isn't very different from you just pressing reload and then going back to the latest checkpoint. Reloading and then having to do sections over/puzzles over would probably be more frustrating and game-y.

IMO a horror game works better if you don't think about it on a meta/game design level that much.

I'll agree the ending could have been better though.
fear is subjective. i'm not afraid of being hunted in the dark, so i ask 'what is hunting me?' and 'what happens if it catches me?'. when the answers to those questions are 'a freaky looking thing.' and 'not much really.' i go 'wait what?' to the second one.

yes, having to do sections and puzzles over can be frustrating, but that adds to my fear of dying. there's a bit of a penalty for death, which makes me try harder to avoid it, and makes me fear it more.

on the rare occassions where i got cornered in Amnesia, i pretty much just sighed, leant back in my chair and twiddled my thumbs until the monster killed me. i didn't bother trying to escape that bad situation, because... really why? it completely neutered the enemies. freaky looking is enough for a lot of people, i get that. otherwise Silent Hill 2 wouldn't be nearly as revered as it is despite being full of completely unthreatening enemies (apart from pyramid head).

i didn't 'die' much playing Amnesia, so it wouldn't have been a lot of frustration for me, but that teeny amount of extra frustration would have made the game scary for me too. i don't die often in Resident Evil games, but the enemies scare me more, because dying can mean losing progress, and is often rather nasty looking.

i will likely get Amnesia 2. i enjoyed the first... i just feel really left out when people rave about how scary it was, and so from my perspective want to see them actually punish death this time, instead of basically rewarding it. i know i'm not the only one too.

sam27368

Banned
Another update
it goes further!

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-13197-post-118242.html#pid118242
The address in Seattle is Smith Tower... or more accurately the CHINESE (!!) rooms at the smith tower.
It's clear that the new Amnesia will be set sometime after the happenings in the original. Metal is the primary resource and there is a transportation system hooked to the roof of the sewer. Maybe it's just me who's colourblind, but isn't the water red?

The forum have discovered this - http://www.nextfrictionalgame.com/inject_db.php?select_user=' or '1'='1 a C64 emulator
erSy8.jpg

ArjanN

Another update
it goes further!

The forum have discovered a C64 emulator

LOAD "AMNESIA2",8,1

fear is subjective. i'm not afraid of being hunted in the dark, so i ask 'what is hunting me?' and 'what happens if it catches me?'. when the answers to those questions are 'a freaky looking thing.' and 'not much really.' i go 'wait what?' to the second one.

yes, having to do sections and puzzles over can be frustrating, but that adds to my fear of dying. there's a bit of a penalty for death, which makes me try harder to avoid it, and makes me fear it more.

on the rare occassions where i got cornered in Amnesia, i pretty much just sighed, leant back in my chair and twiddled my thumbs until the monster killed me. i didn't bother trying to escape that bad situation, because... really why? it completely neutered the enemies. freaky looking is enough for a lot of people, i get that. otherwise Silent Hill 2 wouldn't be nearly as revered as it is despite being full of completely unthreatening enemies (apart from pyramid head).

i didn't 'die' much playing Amnesia, so it wouldn't have been a lot of frustration for me, but that teeny amount of extra frustration would have made the game scary for me too. i don't die often in Resident Evil games, but the enemies scare me more, because dying can mean losing progress, and is often rather nasty looking.

i will likely get Amnesia 2. i enjoyed the first... i just feel really left out when people rave about how scary it was, and so from my perspective want to see them actually punish death this time, instead of basically rewarding it. i know i'm not the only one too.

It's subjective I guess, although it sounds to me you need to apply more suspension of disbelief.

sam27368

Banned
and more !

ml4zy.jpg

from left to right
c p f g o i i c m n i g s

Guys i think i found something. Zoom in at those letters you can see that certain letters got a tiny dot besides them and some got a tiny yield or pin next to them. This could have something to do with the order of the letters

There's is no way they will do punishing deaths. Thomas, the lead on Amnesia, did a big talk about how he is very focused and removing all the typical game components, and making it easier for the user to focus on the experience and be scared, rather then worrying about old-school mechanics that just is in the way of the experience.

sam27368

Banned
Can an admin change the title to reflect the new direction, something along the lines of "Frictional Viral Campaign for Next Amnesia"
Thanks!

Site seems to be getting hammered, which is awesome, since that means that a lot of people are paying attention. Hopefully this game virals as hard as the last one, seeing as how most of its success was owed to youtube playthroughs and such.

And I really hope we don't have to wait till Halloween to get our hands on it.

Dascu

I would honestly be willing to just pay them 50 euro already for whatever their next game is.

Anyway, I'm glad that the setting seems to be a bit more modern.

sam27368

Banned
More
I've noticed something interesting. Try accessing a user without password protection and it'll show something like this "Status: Throw directory error %6". The last character, in this case number 6, is different for every user. Check all users and you get this "61ky5w". Sort it in order of employee number and you get "561ywk", which seems very similar to the folder fragment_ebola.zip is in (hpl2.1/267weg/fragment_ebola.zip).

Might be a password, might be nothing!

sam27368

Banned
Massive find, this warrants a new thread. Are the developers of Dear Esther working on an Amnesia sequel?

HOLY CRAP YOU GUYS, VERY SIGNIFICANT FIND!!!

By a coincidence, I've discovered something. I was browsing this thread, seeing stuff about this building in Seattle with 'the Chinese Room', when a friend sent me a link to a game that just came out on steam called Dear Esther http://dear-esther.com/ . I thought it was cool, so I went to read their 'about Dear Esther' section. You can't imagine my surprise when I find a section at the bottom called "The Chinese Room"!!! The Chinese Room is a game development group with a website at http://thechineseroom.co.uk/ . From their front page:

"We currently have three titles in development. Dear Esther, the commercial remake of the award-winning, critically acclaimed mod will be released on PC via Steam in early 2012. Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture, an openworld game for PC and possibly PS3 starts development in January 2012, and gameB is a secret project due for development and release sometime in late 2012."

If you go to the page for this 'gameB', you find this page http://thechineseroom.co.uk/?page_id=53 , where it says:

"gameB is the codename for a top secret game we’re working on that will be due out in Q4 2012. All we can tell you is that it’s a survival horror and we have a fantastic development team working hard right now. More information will be released in the new year. The concept art is by Ben Andrews"

I think the evidence is overwhelming that there is a connection here! I am so excited typing this... my hands are shaking... I literally stumbled across all of this completely by accident...

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Amnesia that is not made by Frictional...? Hmm....

SOUNDS LIKE CASH-IN, LET'S BE POSITIVE GUYS!

Dascu

http://www.thechineseroom.co.uk/PinchbeckStorytelling08.pdf
Researching islands to base the environment on also led us to historical documentation of Boreray, part of an isolated cluster of Hebredian islands.

I did a quick little google on "Dear Esther" and "Boreray" and I found that.

Definately! Care to make a new thread about it? I got bumped to jnr :( Definately warrants a new thread
Not really worth a new thread, but a title change would be good. You could PM a mod for that.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
holy shit @ the Esther update. Hype²

Helmholtz

I liked Amnesia a lot. Didn't care for the ending(s), but the journey there was great. I'll buy their next game for sure, and if the Dear Esther team is working on it too the atmosphere should be amazing.

sam27368

Banned
I'm amazed at how deep this goes

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-13197-page-58.html
select_user peter

Gave me Error:password Incorrect. There seems to be moar commands than we're being told?

USER PETER

employee nr: 7
Promotion level: db_error_inf_manifest

After promoting Thomas and then acessing user_thomas

Employee nr: 2.
Promotion level: 304
Status: Recently made game files save in Documents/My Games/ instead of Documents/.
For this he got promoted.
"Downloading file hpl2.1/267weg/fragment_ebola.zip" to client.

And the ebola file will be downloaded.

USER DAN

employee nr: -1 %#&?|!.Syntax error. User unknown.

I'm not convinced it hypes up anyone but the people who loved Amnesia and would buy it day 1 anyway, though.

But hey, it's not hurting anyone. This stuff just isn't interesting to me.

sam27368

Banned
Update - 19th Feb 2012 - Image cracked

So they've gone and worked out the password to the last archive which revealed the full art
STkj4c.png

Also the two texts were deciphered -
LZW WNAD ESQ ZAVW LZW YJWSLWJ WNAD. TML LZW WNAD SDKG ZAVWK LZW YJWSLWJ YGGV.
THE EVIL MAY HIDE THE GREATER EVIL. BUT THE EVIL ALSO HIDES THE GREATER GOOD.

from the CSS and...

XTCN KVMED CN S FSZTCHR. S FSZTCHR QVM WCYN. QCX VHEP QVM XTR NESOYTXRMCHY VQ WCYN.
THIS WORLD IS A MACHINE. A MACHINE FOR PIGS. FIT ONLY FOR THE SLAUGHTERING OF PIGS.

Top Bottom