• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime - Black Character Appreciation

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBAD

I think Casca is Kushan which was a South Asian empire in real life and are darker skinned in the Berserk universe.

While its just a name Casca is apparently a Portuguese word.

"Casca = bark, crust, bread crust; skin, rind, peel; shell, hull, husk"

Which makes sense for the character even more now considering her current mental state.

Miura planned fairly far ahead.

Veldin

tumblr_m401k8f5zL1ro77om.jpg

Nadia is such a classic. A favorite of mine for sure.

Mira Nygus and Sid Barret from Soul Eater are black.

Here's a picture of Mira.
eDnAXNS.png

And Sid is a blue zombie for most of Soul Eater, but he's black.
AFIRhkY.jpg

I had a conversation about Yoruichi's ethnicity/race with a friend once, I was saying I thought she was mixed while he believed she was just a tanned white person (his reasoning was that she didn't have "big lips" or a "big nose"). The fact that she has an afro and some type of Diana Ross swag in one of the anime endings makes me think the author intended her to be black/mixed. I don't read Bleach though, just know who the character is.
Yoruichi is Indian.

junpei

Yoruichi is Indian.

I used to think that she was black but now I think that she is south east Asian.

Dutch is by far my favorite black person in anime.

I think that looking for black people in anime is going to hard because of how isolationist the Japanese have been. There should be a great black people in western animation thread .

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
From what I've seen, Soul Eater has repped the highest concentration of non-embarrassing, actual cool looking black character designs in this thread.

Very encouraging, but... is the show actually worth checking out on it's own merit?

Moaradin

From what I've seen, Soul Eater has repped the highest concentration of non-embarrassing, actual cool looking black character designs in this thread.

Very encouraging, but... is the show actually worth checking out on it's own merit?

Soul Eater is great. The anime goes off the rails towards the end since it stops adapting the manga, but considering that I still recommend it.

If you like shounen stuff, yes.

Zoe

The anime did have the foresight to censor this part:
rZLmeyW.jpg

And once again I want to chime in that Kilik should probably be Kirikou :\

TalonJH

Honestly, Soul Eater is the show that got me back into heavy anime watching. I took a bout a year break before discovering it. Do yourself a favor and read the manga as well. It continues the story while the anime starts looking for a series conclusion in the middle of an arc.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Thanks for all the info guys. Wiki says there's only 51 episodes. Not too bad! I'll definitely be giving it a shot.

The anime did have the foresight to censor this part:
rZLmeyW.jpg

And once again I want to chime in that Kilik should probably be Kirikou :\
LOL, good call! A real shame this type of imagery has managed to stick around for so long.

abadguy

Banned
xOaGfbM.jpg

Shame he got a "race-lift" in the movie version. Though to be fair the Appleseed movies are shit anyway. I heard they corrected that mistake in the last tv series though.

ckohler

Like others have said, the anime diverges from the manga around episode 34 and what they made up kinda sucks, especially the ending, but overall and especially those first 30+ episodes are fantastic. Great characters, music, action and comedy.

However, if you're digging Kilik you're better off reading the manga because he's a b-team character that gets very little screen time in the anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom