• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime - Black Character Appreciation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some "moe" thread got me thinking about anime. I did a quick search and did not find a thread on this but I was wondering, with black characters so few and far between in anime, who are the best, most interesting black anime characters?

I want to go ahead and eliminate American-syndicated series like Afro Samurai or anime-ized American comics Blade and X-Men.

Please don't assume we know the reference point and post the name of the anime that featured the character as well.

Udai Taxim - Cowboy Bebop

39805.jpg

Claudia Grant - Macross/Robotech

NOTE: Seeing a couple like this on a show this old just felt right. Claudia herself was a pretty one-dimensional character but she was strong-willed and consistent.

Roy_Fokker_4_large.jpg

Bob - Tenjou Tenge

1657412.jpg

NOTE: While I'm not a huge fan of the character design, Bob was an undisputed badass in the anime and manga. I still think he might have been a ripoff of Fatal Fury's Bob Wilson though.

Who are some others that deserve some love?

Kite

1JFkOX7.jpg

Tosen from Bleach

Zfbi3Nt.jpg

Arshes Nei from Bastard!

kiLrGO5.jpg

Kilik from Soul Eater

BiG6tpD.jpg

Michiko from Michiko to Hatchin

5uBtOgG.jpg

Cyborg 008 (Pyunma) from Cyborg 009

TbeUVsJ.jpg

Fire Emblem from Tiger and Bunny

hdwJ3E6.jpg

Buddy Waters from Space Brothers

Chocolove from the Shaman King manga was treated pretty well for a black character. He also ended up being the strongest of the main five if I recall correctly.

Kilik from Soul Eater is my personal favourite. I love his abilities and personality.

Darui from Naruto isn't bad either.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
efvErLI.jpg

Dutch from Black Lagoon

And is actually a very well written character too. They slowly introduce bits and piece of his background without ever making it a direct focus. Each revealing a bit more with his actions adding to it.

Love James from Blood+.

Diva_and_James.png

Eureka 7 Gecko State pilots

latest

The couple on the right.

Finally one you wouldn't think of (and I'm not sure if he counts)

Usopp_.png

My second-favorite One Piece character Usopp would be from Africa if in the real world according to Oda. Now of course that includes Egypt so YMMV.

Victor Freeman

Second Blaster Knuckle related post I've made all day, thats a record.

Looks very JoJoish.

Killer Bee! (Naruto)

tumblr_mgjlfryjyB1qmygffo1_r1_500.gif

Uub (Dragon Ball GT)

dragon-ball-gt-the-return-of-uub-cart-d07.jpg

I really liked Killer Bee. Wish he did more in the war arc.

I'm pretty sure Uub has been confirmed south Asian.

Edit:

Simon Brezhnev. A massive black Russian who works at a sushi place.

Love him and loved Patrick Seitz's Russian accent in the dub.

No Pedro from Excel Saga? The dude sleeps with The Universal Will. Hilarious character. He is Colombian in the show. He also, as the show tells us, has a very sexy wife.

"Very very nooooooo!"

Yeah, he is a joke character, but that goes for the entire cast.

I liked Lizzie from ~Requiem for the Phantom~. Not because of the nude scene, I promise!
leuhkikcskn4ayu7m.gif

53135.jpg
This reminded me of Casca from Berserk.

I know I'm bending the rules bit, but RJ from me and the devil blues needs more love. A manga about slavery and racism in post civil war southern United States with blues and the devil thrown in the mix? What's not to love?
meandthedevilblues.jpg

prison school is another manga by the same author, but it's a lot less serious. Check that out too if you're a true ass man

Kite

Am I missing something good? Should I jump on this anime?
Yes, Black Lagoon is a damn good show even for those who don't like anime.

The story follows a team of pirate mercenaries known as Lagoon Company, that smuggles goods in and around the seas of Southeast Asia in the early to mid 1990s.[1] Their base of operations is located in the fictional harbor city of Roanapur in southeast Thailand (somewhere in the Amphoe Mueang Trat district, likely on the mainland north/northeast of the Ko Chang island or on the island itself).[2] The island is home to the Yakuza, the Triad, Cuban and French cartels, and a wide assortment of pickpockets, thugs, mercenaries, thieves, prostitutes, assassins, and Gunmen of all sorts. They transport goods in the 80-foot (24 m) Elco-type PT boat Black Lagoon. Lagoon Company does business with various clients, but has a particularly friendly relationship with the Russian crime syndicate Hotel Moscow. The team takes on a variety of missions—which may involve violent firefights, hand-to-hand combat, and nautical battles—in various Southeast Asian locations, even going as far as Phu Quoc island of Vietnam and when not doing much, the members of the Lagoon Company spend much of their down time at The Yellow Flag, a bar in Roanapur which is often destroyed in firefights.

Dutch is the leader of the Black Lagoon mercenaries.

edit: If you are talking about the classy Dutch pic, iirc it is from an artbook or doujin that pretends that Black Lagoon is a tv show and the pics are from the actors playing the BL characters. You can see the rest of the artbook here.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
NlPRyza.jpg

His ethnicity is never stated (other than being Japanese), but I Yuuji from Zaion always seem mixed race to me. Idk, kinda an iffy pick, I'm probably off base anyways.

Also,

break_blade_064.jpg

257272839a5bc00ded75b433e034420d.jpg

King Hodr and Narvi Stryze from Broken Blade (though this is set in a fantasy world, so who knows)

Verelios

Bob from Tengo was an undisputed G from beginning to end. Great guy.

Dutch from Black Lagoon ranks a little lower because there's not much actually disclosed about him characterization wise. Still a bad ass.

My favorite though is Chocolov from Shaman King. A really great character who's in the middle of redemption yet still puts on a smile.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Is Brock from Pokemon black? I thought he was, but I think some people on the internet said he isn't.

I know I'm bending the rules bit, but RJ from me and the devil blues needs more love. A manga about slavery and racism in post civil war southern United States with blues and the devil thrown in the mix? What's not to love?
meandthedevilblues.jpg

prison school is another manga by the same author, but it's a lot less serious. Check that out too if you're a true ass man
I've been meaning to read this for a minute. I love Prison School and was surprised to see this in his repertoire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom