• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime - Black Character Appreciation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cedric

Aokiji is not black. This is who he's based on.

tumblr_inline_mlgszoiSo71qz4rgp.jpg

That's crazy... the hair, the height, the darker skin, there was no doubt in my mind he was black. Even my IRL friends just assumed he was, oh well.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
They made an animated movie o_O Was it good?

They made two movies in the late 1960's, one in 1980, and then this one in 2012; I haven't seen any of them.

They probably from India. They do that way to much having India and African people look alike.

Probably, though it's hard to say in these cases. My first pick is considered Japanese, but the other two come from a fantasy world not based on ours, so it's up in the air.

Chariot

Maybe he meant north African?
We never know. He probably didn't think too long about that question.

D: Nice to meet you, Oda-sensei. I have a question. If One Piece was set in the real world, which countries would the nine Straw Hats come from? Pen Name: MICHAEL JACKSONS' BROTHER

O: Well. I'll just put what fits with the character's image.

Luffy: Brazil
Zoro: Japan
Nami: Sweden
Usopp: Africa
Sanji: France
Chopper: Canada
Robin: Russia
Franky: USA
Brook: Austria

That's crazy... the hair, the height, the darker skin, there was no doubt in my mind he was black. Even my IRL friends just assumed he was, oh well.

Most people forget a lot of Japanese people are fairly/very tan, hence some of the posts here not actually being black characters in anime lol, just tan... or indian in a few cases.

20081005153948.jpg

Darly from Gundam 00
almost made it the whole season, died in the second to last episode or so.

I am REALLY not sure about that one. :D

He gave his life to get Inferno Cop a chance at first place in the race. Yes he did get second place still and yes it gave the same prize amount as first place, but it's the thought that counts! Or is it the fact that when he somehow survives turning into ash he becomes white?

The character design of your third example is a little suspect...
How so?

Also REALLY surprised no one mentioned Afro Samurai. I mean, really.

763700-afro_samurai_resurrection.jpg

I know I'm bending the rules bit, but RJ from me and the devil blues needs more love. A manga about slavery and racism in post civil war southern United States with blues and the devil thrown in the mix? What's not to love?
meandthedevilblues.jpg

prison school is another manga by the same author, but it's a lot less serious. Check that out too if you're a true ass man

Never heard of this. Now I need to check it out.

O'brien from yugioh gx
500px-Axel_Brodie.png

Best character in the show, even though his design is hilariously racist
Nothing really racist about it, altho his Dumbo-sized ears are goofy. That isn't something exclusive to black people tho (or that occurring on anyone for that matter).

ISOM

Most people forget a lot of Japanese people are fairly/very tan, hence some of the posts here not actually being black characters in anime lol, just tan... or indian in a few cases.

20081005153948.jpg

Darly from Gundam 00
almost made it the whole season, died in the second to last episode or so.

Indian? Are people sure the characters who aren't black are actually indian? Or is it just creative expression to get dark colored characters in their anime?

Unbounded

Canary from Hunter x Hunter

Canary_zpsbae30274.png

I like Canary because she's still one of the few characters I can say without a doubt is "undisputably black" while not really having any stereotypes going on whatsoever.

I mean, she's black but has no sense of trying to lighten her skin or change her hair or whatever the fuck.

Punch/Alfredo from Cowboy Bebop
6ZJkZHj.jpg

One-half of the bounty hunter program Big Shot, both he and Judy mainly serve as comic relief, but he's pretty charming. His last appearance as that persona is in "Brain Scratch" where he reveals the cancellation of the show.

In a rather surprising cameo, he appears one last time, but as Alfredo. Faye spots him at an airport picking up his mother in episode 25 "The Real Folk Blues Part One". I always really loved that cameo. It also really drives home the fact that you're at the end of Bebop.
B9jhEA3.jpg
cPQ2GsO.png

He got a new job all right...
ZaXRSoG.gif

ZaXRSoG

qNqOMBw.png

Hairline+Bushy 'stache

He had to take a job in the syndicate to make ends meet it seems

I think the definition of what makes an anime character black is very fluid which is kind of cool. The darker skin with blond hair look shows up a lot.

Probably not black but I still want to mention Mihoshi from Tenchi. Because I like Mihoshi.

FZjMPuB.jpg

The same with Shayla Shayla from El Hazard.

oHcqbrK.jpg

FluxWaveZ

I like Canary because she's still one of the few characters I can say without a doubt is "undisputably black" while not really having any stereotypes going on whatsoever.

I mean, she's black but has no sense of trying to lighten her skin or change her hair or whatever the fuck.

Hm. I will say, though, that while she's awesome, she's the only black character I can think of from HxH and yet she's forced into a servant/butler role.

Still, she's pretty cool, and I didn't really care about that much.

qNqOMBw.png

Hairline+Bushy 'stache

He had to take a job in the syndicate to make ends meet it seems

Oh, nooooo! Dammit, and I was happy for him in that scene where he met his mom.

Chariot

Yeah, also I don't think Oda is very good artist in general.
Well, he doesn't have a lot of different types of women he can draw and in the last years it feels like panels are a bit to full, opposed to the lightness of his earlier work, but not a good artists? I mean, his style is very silly, but that is intended, is it not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom