• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime - Black Character Appreciation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Muhammad Avdol from Jojo

bf1788ab.jpg

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Having a thing for items that go boom and bang also, this dude right here.

Jormungand-Perfect-Order-7-7.jpg

William Nelson AKA Wiley

As in Wile E. Coyote.

Was so disappointed when the series ended (the manga) am guessing the writer ran out of ideas. Can see why too considering its not like there is a huge amount of information in Japanese for them to collect from unlike the US for example on the subject matter. But was a great series none the less for what it was. But really would have liked for it to continue more.

Wileys backstory was pretty badass too.

Best thing about him too is hes not written as some sort of stereotypical "black" character either and is one of the more intelligent ones on the team also serves as a tutor for Jonah during down time.

I know I'm bending the rules bit, but RJ from me and the devil blues needs more love. A manga about slavery and racism in post civil war southern United States with blues and the devil thrown in the mix? What's not to love?
meandthedevilblues.jpg

prison school is another manga by the same author, but it's a lot less serious. Check that out too if you're a true ass man

plus the drawing are fucking amazing, too bad they cancelled it and never did a 5th tome!

I was considering making a thread saying I wish there were more black anime characters sometime, so this is neat.

There should be more black anime characters.

Well, everyone knows I'm a big fan of Iris. Hooray for brown Pokemon champions!
Iris is the Pokemon queen as far as I'm concerned.

I don't like it when fanart lightens her skin. And that they straightened her hair when she became champion. :<

Blues1990

Cyborg_008.png

Regardless of his origin story, Pyunma couldn't catch a break. In the manga, he & his tribe were forced to become slaves, but he was able to escape from being chained & ran off. It wasn't long before he was cornered by the slave drivers, but they were slaughtered by Black Ghost agents, which came out of nowhere. Being held at gunpoint, Pyunma was forced to be taken to the cybernetics laboratory to be cybernetically argumnented. In the 2001 series, Pyunma was a rebel for a group of guerrillas that where trying to reclaim their land, which was taken over & being ruled by a powerful tyrant. Unfortunately, Pyunma was caught in the crossfire, and was later found by Black Ghost agents. After receiving cybernetic implants in his body, it allowed him to survive underwater for long periods of time at extreme depths. In addition, he also had increased stamina & tremendous swimming prowess.

Sometime after joining the team, he had a near-death experience from battling the Black Ghost organization, which caused his old body to be damaged beyond repair. Dr. Gilmore had no choice but to replace his old body with a highly durable fish scale armour. While he had never forgiven Gilmore for modifying his body without his consent, Pyunma later appreciated his "scale armour", which had enhanced his durability and allowed him to swim at higher speeds.

Out of all the members, Pyunma was the coolest in my eyes. He was a character that despised prejudice of any kind, regardless if it was against his own race or for people that weren't the social norm. He had also taken pride of his heritage, and would rather die than for his home to fall to tyranny. Even after being captured by Black Ghost, 008 is still a hardened soldier whose mind is conditioned to the constant warfare that plagues his homeland.

Genryu

Banned
I know it's just manga for right now, but if the anime keeps being popular for about another 6 or so years, then we will have
enrico_pucci_49129.jpg

Enrico Pucci, one of the coolest JoJo villains ever.

Chariot

Bob - Tenjou Tenge

1657412.jpg

NOTE: While I'm not a huge fan of the character design, Bob was an undisputed badass in the anime and manga. I still think he might have been a ripoff of Bob Wilson though.
Yeah, Bob was pretty great. A bit stereotypical maybe, but he was the badass normal. All the japanese had their weird magic powers, while he was just using his great strengh. I loved the scene where they were training and Souichiro was already beaten when Bob still had to sweat :D

efvErLI.jpg

Dutch from Black Lagoon
He is pretty cool, but he really needs his story arc. I am curious about the thing that was hinted at in the Baile de los Muertos-arc.

2236508_1323624559566.29res_320_240.jpg

Gidget from Eureka 7. Not the most interesting but <3
Yeah, was pretty cute. Sadly most of the crew was neglected. Would've loved to actually know her.

This thread feels like a fun excuse to post Iris pictures, hehe.

Iris and Hikari or Dawn are two of my favourite of Ash's companions. Though Iris is still my favourite Pokemon character.

I actually like her in the games more than the anime. In the games she's an amazing gym leader and champion. But I like how I get to see her for an entire season in the anime.

Punch/Alfredo from Cowboy Bebop
6ZJkZHj.jpg

One-half of the bounty hunter program Big Shot, both he and Judy mainly serve as comic relief, but he's pretty charming. His last appearance as that persona is in "Brain Scratch" where he reveals the cancellation of the show.

In a rather surprising cameo, he appears one last time, but as Alfredo. Faye spots him at an airport picking up his mother in episode 25 "The Real Folk Blues Part One". I always really loved that cameo. It also really drives home the fact that you're at the end of Bebop.
B9jhEA3.jpg

Tizoc

Cyborg_008.png

Regardless of his origin story, Pyunma couldn't catch a break. In the manga, he & his tribe were forced to become slaves, but he was able to escape from being chained & ran off. It wasn't long before he was cornered by the slave drivers, but they were slaughtered by Black Ghost agents, which came out of nowhere. Being held at gunpoint, Pyunma was forced to be taken to the cybernetics laboratory to be cybernetically argumnented. In the 2001 series, Pyunma was a rebel for a group of guerrillas that where trying to reclaim their land, which was taken over & being ruled by a powerful tyrant. Unfortunately, Pyunma was caught in the crossfire, and was later found by Black Ghost agents. After receiving cybernetic implants in his body, it allowed him to survive underwater for long periods of time at extreme depths. In addition, he also had increased stamina & tremendous swimming prowess.

Sometime after joining the team, he had a near-death experience from battling the Black Ghost organization, which caused his old body to be damaged beyond repair. Dr. Gilmore had no choice but to replace his old body with a highly durable fish scale armour. While he had never forgiven Gilmore for modifying his body without his consent, Pyunma later appreciated his "scale armour", which had enhanced his durability and allowed him to swim at higher speeds.

Out of all the members, Pyunma was the coolest in my eyes. He was a character that despised prejudice of any kind, regardless if it was against his own race or for people that weren't the social norm. He had also taken pride of his heritage, and would rather die than for his home to fall to tyranny. Even after being captured by Black Ghost, 008 is still a hardened soldier whose mind is conditioned to the constant warfare that plagues his homeland.
Wait in the previous page he had a different design o_O

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Wait in the previous page he had a different design o_O

This is from the older series and more closely resembles the original 1960's manga's designs by Shotaro Ishinomori.

The one on the last page is from the 2012 film 009 Re:Cyborg

Punch/Alfredo from Cowboy Bebop
6ZJkZHj.jpg

One-half of the bounty hunter program Big Shot, both he and Judy mainly serve as comic relief, but he's pretty charming. His last appearance as that persona is in "Brain Scratch" where he reveals the cancellation of the show.

In a rather surprising cameo, he appears one last time, but as Alfredo. Faye spots him at an airport picking up his mother in episode 25 "The Real Folk Blues Part One". I always really loved that cameo. It also really drives home the fact that you're at the end of Bebop.
B9jhEA3.jpg

Woah. Forgot about this dude. I loved their little commercials on the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom