• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Anime] Your "Controversial" Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
[Clark Gable];34635532 said:
top ten list, that include k-on, idolmaster, strike witches, birdy, utena, salior moon, are jokes, and at most a troll.
Well then I guess your tag explains a lot.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
You say that as if K-ON wasn't transparently a cold, calculating attempt at selling as much merchandise as fucking possible.

Moe rose as the dominant force in anime pretty much because of Key's visual novels/dating sims and KyoAni. The whole original point behind it was the idea that this character was this sweet, innocent and just for you.

Geneijin will invariably respond that "that isn't what moe is about!" To that I say, 'so what'? Even if moe, a term which is vague almost to the point of meaningless, isn't about that the explosion of it was.

If you think KyoAni is completely ignorant of that and isn't pandering to them every second of K-ON, I really don't know what to say. I mean do you seriously think the people in this company really only cared about making a show about girls having fun, and then they were shocked to find that the show was among the most popular among creepy Otaku? Fuck no. They meant to do that. Haruhi Suzumiya as a whole states that they are very much aware of it and K-ON shows just how much they're willing to pander to that part of the anime community.

K-ON is the Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen of anime just in terms of how much of a shallow, artless, tasteless, cash grab it is.

K-On is artfully and lovingly crafted, the staff are genuinely talented animators, directors and whatnot who spent a lot of time and effort producing K-On. It is literally one of the most consistently well animated series in anime, there isn't anything cold or calculating about that. Really K-On is largely innocuous, inoffensive in terms of tone and content, there isn't a single pantyshot or intentionally sexually exploitative moment (OK so they go to the beach and wear bathing suits, so there's that) I think that KyoAni knows that it's "moe" but it isn't trashy, it's just the opposite.

Geneijin

You say that as if K-ON wasn't transparently a cold, calculating attempt at selling as much merchandise as fucking possible.

Moe rose as the dominant force in anime pretty much because of Key's visual novels/dating sims and KyoAni. The whole original point behind it was the idea that this character was this sweet, innocent and just for you.

Geneijin will invariably respond that "that isn't what moe is about!" To that I say, 'so what'? Even if moe, a term which is vague almost to the point of meaningless, isn't about that the explosion of it was.

If you think KyoAni is completely ignorant of that and isn't pandering to them every second of K-ON, I really don't know what to say. I mean do you seriously think the people in this company really only cared about making a show about girls having fun, and then they were shocked to find that the show was among the most popular among creepy Otaku? Fuck no. They meant to do that. Haruhi Suzumiya as a whole states that they are very much aware of it and K-ON shows just how much they're willing to pander to that part of the anime community.

K-ON is the Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen of anime just in terms of how much of a shallow, artless, tasteless, cash grab it is.
Except K-On as an anime property has made over 50 billion yen in merchandising. The otaku "waifu" crowd cannot possibly support something as big as that so it stands to reason that it has mainstream appeal. Reducing it to something only creepy otaku buy is factually wrong.

It even airs on Disney Channel Japan man.

I was wondering when this thread would actually deliver.

I wanna act all mad and shit but this is hilarious

We all can't have immaculate taste. I am the guiding light, while others still want to be stuck in the dark ages. There's no excuse for the garbage that comes out.

MmRMR.jpg

cajunator

Banned
How does one fall asleep during a Ghibli movie? There's always interesting things going on in the background of scenes, even if you aren't into what is happening in the movie.

I fell asleep multiple times watching Castle In the Sky. I dont know why this happens, because I stay awake and enjoy every other Ghibli film.

LordCanti

New controversial opinion:

Buying anime DVD's was a stupid thing to do back in the day. I'm watching my Witch Hunter Robin DVD's (for the second time, I believe) and I can't believe how terrible this show is. Not only the show, but the picture quality and animation as well. I don't really understand how this ever made it to TV over here.

If the DVD's weren't compressed garbage, it would be slightly more palatable.

cajunator

Banned

Buying anime DVD's was a stupid thing to do back in the day. I'm watching my Witch Hunter Robin DVD's (for the second time, I believe) and I can't believe how terrible this show is. Not only the show, but the picture quality and animation as well. I don't really understand how this ever made it to TV over here.

I enjoy the aged look of old anime DVDs. Kind of adds to the nostalgia for me.

Cwarrior

Evangelion still the worst piece of shit I’ve watched (pretentious crap, terrible monster of week show about annoying retarded characters bitching, screaming and whinnying in your ear for 26eps) and evengelion fans are worst fan base there is.

Gurren laggan part 2 is insulting garbage

FLCL is an insanely boring harem about a 20+ pedo girl forcing herself on 12 year old, you have to endure some much boring crap to get to some good animation, should of made a kai version of this making it 1ep long or just made quick clip containing the nice animation scenes.

LordCanti

I enjoy the aged look of old anime DVDs. Kind of adds to the nostalgia for me.

If I want nostalgia, I'll throw a VHS tape (that's been watched way too many times by other people) into my VHS player and just marinate in it.

:p

Evangelion still the worst piece of shit I’ve watched (pretentious crap, terrible monster of week show about annoying retarded characters bitching, screaming and whinnying in your ear for 26eps) and evengelion fans are worst fan base there is.

Gurren laggan part 2 is garbage

FLCL is an insanely boring harem about a 20+ girl forcing herself on 12 year old, you have to endure some much boring crap to get to some good animation, should of made a kai version of this making it 1ep long or just made quick clip containing the nice animation scenes.

I ain't even mad right now. This is just not true. One girl does not a harem make.

When I started developing more than a passing interesting in anime back in 2002, I went to suncoast one day with my dad in hopes of buying a fuckton of anime... until I saw that each DVD cost 30+ dollars a volume. It blew my mind many years later when I found out that anime fans in Japan were paying double that for 2 eps a pop.

Witch Hunter Robin.. I remember watching that on Adult Swim. Never did watch all of it but I remember not hating what I watched. What was wrong with it btw?

I don't know if this was an early digitally animated show or what, but the characters are wooden. Not even wooden, because wood was part of a living thing at one point; Robotic. It has low budget written all over it. To be fair, I'm only on episode 3 at this point, so maybe it gets better. Nostalgia made me think it was much better than it actually is (thus far).

edit - ^^^
I don't know if this was an early digitally animated show or what, but the characters are wooden. Not even wooden, because wood was part of a living thing at one point; Robotic. It has low budget written all over it. To be fair, I'm only on episode 3 at this point, so maybe it gets better. Nostalgia made me think it was much better than it actually is (thus far).

Reminds me of S-CRY-ed. I made the mistake of going back to watch that show because of nostalgia. Big, big mistake. That show is a fucking turd and it is way too long for relative little pay off. Yeah there are some really cool scenes (almost all of them early on) but holy shit. The animation is horrid or just simply non-existent and they cut & paste a lot. They really butchered the one thing they had going and that was the rivalry between Kazuma and Ryuhou and ugh.. that show was just very low quality and the writing was terrible.

When I started developing more than a passing interesting in anime back in 2002, I went to suncoast one day with my dad in hopes of buying a fuckton of anime... until I saw that each DVD cost 30+ dollars a volume. It blew my mind many years later when I found out that anime fans in Japan were paying double that for 2 eps a pop.

Witch Hunter Robin.. I remember watching that on Adult Swim. Never did watch all of it but I remember not hating what I watched. What was wrong with it btw?

Mechazawa

This doesn't actually make sense. I'm not sure how any of the characters are retarded. They may seem "silly" and over the top, but that is the point.

Well, not "retarded", but every 30 seconds, one of the protagonists proceeds to have a mental breakdown.

I'm saying they all cry too much.

I'm really surprised at all the hate for Gurren Lagann and especially for part 2. I don't get it. Well whatever, can't be be loved by everyone.
Well, not "retarded", but every 30 seconds, one of the protagonists proceeds to have a mental breakdown.

I'm saying they all cry too much.

I don't remember everyone crying all the time. I'm sure Daisaku cries, but I mean he is a kid and as far as anime kids he's pretty solid. He's not Shinji Ikari levels of emo or anything. But yeah I guess the show could be a bit too melodramatic and some people could be turned off by it. There is a lot of *gasping* moments from characters.

Cwarrior

K-On is artfully and lovingly crafted, the staff are genuinely talented animators, directors and whatnot who spent a lot of time and effort producing K-On. It is literally one of the most consistently well animated series in anime, there isn't anything cold or calculating about that. Really K-On is largely innocuous, inoffensive in terms of tone and content, there isn't a single pantyshot or intentionally sexually exploitative moment (OK so they go to the beach and wear bathing suits, so there's that) I think that KyoAni knows that it's "moe" but it isn't trashy, it's just the opposite.
And I'm sure the CGI animators behind the Transformers movies are great as well. Doesn't mean the movies are any good. It doesn't make the movies any less shallow or tasteless. Bad argument on your part.

Except K-On as an anime property has made over 50 billion yen in merchandising. The otaku "waifu" crowd cannot possibly support something as big as that so it stands to reason that it has mainstream appeal. Reducing it to something only creepy otaku buy is factually wrong.

It even airs on Disney Channel Japan man.

I am not saying all K-ON fans are creepy otaku, merely that they are the target demographic just like several other show KyoAni made. Everyone else is periphery demographic. Just like My Little Pony's target demographic is young girls and dudes on the internet are a periphery demographic.

I edited this into my last post. Not sure if you saw it so I'm adding it here:

Who was it that abandoned that discussion in the first place? Uh yeah, it was you. You bringing it up again is priceless coming for you. If you want to be stuck being narrow-minded, go ahead. Just don't think it's going to be uncontested.

Do you even want to have a discussion?
Do you? Just earlier in this thread, I brought up legitimate, non-moe criticisms of K-ON, in particular, all the things they got wrong whenever the show focused on music, and there was almost always something critically wrong every time. Off the top of my head, I listed two that I thought were really egregious. Your response was to say "oh well the show isn't about that!" Okay. Why the fuck did they include it? If the music didn't matter, wasn't supposed to matter, and the staff didn't care enough to research anything about music and guitar? Why even have it? To sell CDs. Which is part of the problem with the show.

LordCanti

Oh, I agree, she's totally the Scrappy Doo of the series. I was just bemoaning his placement of Mio and Ui.

Woah there. I hope you mean that in a good way. Scrappy Doo was the best Doo, other than Scooby. I guess you could say he was the number two of Doo's.

She's the only twenty year old one, and the only one that lives with him. Even if you count Mamimi, I'm not sure two girls is a harem. The third girl is a classmate, and pretty much gets over her love for him after one episode.

cajunator

Banned

That didn't stop me from collecting the stuff, and entire series a volume at a time. Granted I was new to anime and crazy about it, and I had a job and almost no bills, so I went nuts with it. Actually, I still pretty much do the same thing.

Mechazawa

I don't remember everyone crying all the time. I'm sure Daisaku cries, but I mean he is a kid and as far as anime kids he's pretty solid. He's not Shinji Ikari levels of emo or anything. But yeah I guess the show could be a bit too melodramatic and some people could be turned off by it. There is a lot of *gasping* moments from characters.

Oh, dude. Check that OVA out again some time.

Like, I'm pretty sure a solid 1/4th of the runtime is Professor Go laying on the waterworks.

That didn't stop me from collecting the stuff, and entire series a volume at a time. Granted I was new to anime and crazy about it, and I had a job and almost no bills, so I went nuts with it. Actually, I still pretty much do the same thing.

I was 12 in 2002 so yeah. I just stuck to Toonami and Adult Swim (and later the anime network OnDemand). That was where most of the stuff I watched came from for a long time.

It was either spend my money on a game that could last me months or 5 episodes of a show I might not like.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
And I'm sure the CGI animators behind the Transformers movies are great as well. Doesn't mean the movies are any good. It doesn't make the movies any less shallow or tasteless. Bad argument on your part.

Why would they exert so much effort and money on the production aspects of K-On when ultimately only a small minority place primary value on animation, quality scene composition, overall direction and visual aesthetics and the like? It doesn't really jibe with your assertion in the least. Beyond that what is tasteless about K-On specifically, what is particularly egregious about the content? At the end of the day it is as inoffensive in content as any slice of life series, yet in actual execution is leagues ahead.

I'm really surprised at all the hate for Gurren Lagann and especially for part 2. I don't get it. Well whatever, can't be be loved by everyone.
Part 2 is the part with the space ocean right? I can see why people would...
Woah there. I hope you mean that in a good way. Scrappy Doo was the best Doo, other than Scooby. I guess you could say he was the number two of Doo's.
Sorry, I have nothing good to say about Scrappy...

Oh, dude. Check that OVA out again some time.

Like, I'm pretty sure a solid 1/4th of the runtime is Professor Go laying on the waterworks.

Oh him. So what two characters is everyone? And it's not like they don't have a story and character reason from him to be doing that. He's supposed to be seen as a weak and pathetic person. It's not like crying in the sense that he's acting emo or something. Your suppose to look at him and be like "why is this supposedly noble dude such a wuss, what actually happen". I don't see a problem here. Not enough for it to "suck" or to think "everyone cries".

Shit-My mistake. Prof. Go. Yeah that's who I was referencing when I said "a lot of "*gasping moments*". Since he does have intense reactions to things. I wouldn't call that crying though. I thought you meant Shizuma. Either way I don't think the show is full of crying and is pretty great. Agree to disagree.

BluWacky

As someone who really rather likes Witch Hunter Robin - the first half is mostly boringly episodic, everything is grey, all of the acting is "LET'S TRY NOT TO SOUND LIKE HYPER ANIME CHARACTERS SO INSTEAD WE'LL SOUND INCREDIBLY BORING AND UNNATURAL INSTEAD" etc. etc.

The show has one truly great episode, a few pretty good ones, and a lot of blah.

Why would they exert so much effort when only a small minority place primary value on animation, quality scene composition, overall direction and visual aesthetics and the like? It doesn't really vibe with your assertion in the least. Beyond that what is tasteless about K-On specifically, what is particularly egregious about the content?

Just FYI when I say tasteless, I mean shallow and tacky. As I've said before, the music sticks out as egregiously tasteless. They put no effort into learning about guitars, or music in general. And it shows, repeatedly. I cited a couple that I remembered off the top of my head, a couple really blatantly sloppy mistakes. Every time they brought up music, I remember there being similar mistakes. It shows a complete disregard for guitar and music because much of it should have been obvious had anyone on staff played guitar or had talked to someone who did. To me, it seems like one of the reasons for adapting K-ON is that the episode in which Haruhi played guitar and the song she played turned out to be really popular, so they decided to do a series where they could do that multiple times. It seems like a transparent cash grab and pandering to me, just like the army stuff in the Transformers.

As someone who really rather likes Witch Hunter Robin - the first half is mostly boringly episodic, everything is grey, all of the acting is "LET'S TRY NOT TO SOUND LIKE HYPER ANIME CHARACTERS SO INSTEAD WE'LL SOUND INCREDIBLY BORING AND UNNATURAL INSTEAD" etc. etc.

The show has one truly great episode, a few pretty good ones, and a lot of blah.

Lol that's funny. Kind of reminds me of Texhnolyze or aka the slowest anime ever produced.

Mechazawa

Oh him. So what two characters is everyone? And it's not like they don't have a story and character reason from him to be doing that. He's supposed to be seen as a weak and pathetic person. It's not like crying in the sense that he's acting emo or something. Your suppose to look at him and be like "why is this supposedly noble dude such a wuss, what actually happen".
I don't see a problem here. Not enough for it to "suck" or to think "everyone cries".
They were so obnoxious with it, though. And while Go and Daisuke were the heaviest with the literal crying, at the end of the day, it was just that so much of the show was dedicated to characters complaining about their own insecurities or incompetence at such inappropriate moments. And it was all wrapped in that weird boisterous, operatic approach the show took

Mind you, this was all before I watched G Gundam so I didn't really have a reference for the layer of cheese going in.

Cowboy Bebop just isn't that good, it lacks a consistent story to tie everything together. Though the characters are great.
I might re-watch it to see if I see it with different eyes

Fairy Tail is the shittiest shonen series out there, Deus Ex Machina out the ass and plotholes galore.

Lol that's funny. Kind of reminds me of Texhnolyze or aka the slowest anime ever produced.

Oh god Texhnolyze... I watched the first episode with a friend, but I take anymore of it. My friend allegedly continued with the series, saying it picked up pace and he really liked it. I'm not sure if I believe him.

Wiktor

Why would they exert so much effort and money on the production aspects of K-On when ultimately only a small minority place primary value on animation, quality scene composition, overall direction and visual aesthetics and the like? .

I think K-ON is extremely well made, but this doesn't change how horryfingly hollow that show is

Geneijin

Do you? Just earlier in this thread, I brought up legitimate, non-moe criticisms of K-ON, in particular, all the things they got wrong whenever the show focused on music, and there was almost always something critically wrong every time.
Non-moe criticisms? Are we having revisionist history already?

Which is why I bring up the whole virgin thing because that is literally the only thing I think it could possible mean. I've never seen anyone refer to moe as anything other than "This character is my waifu. And we'll hold hands and have our first kiss and eventually our first time together." First off, that is a terrible way to write a show, as evidenced by pretty much all moe shows. Second, this shit is everywhere and I'm sick of no longer having new shows getting released that I enjoy because all money and effort are going into moe shows. K-ON is simply a moe show I really particularly hate.
The entire show wasn't. It's why I was waiting for you to pick specific examples to depict this virgin worshiping and waifu generator, which was supposedly the main focus and intent of the show. You're misunderstanding of moe didn't help either.

Off the top of my head, I listed two that I thought were really egregious. Your response was to say "oh well the show isn't about that!" Okay. Why the fuck did they include it? If the music didn't matter, wasn't supposed to matter, and the staff didn't care enough to research anything about music and guitar? Why even have it? To sell CDs. Which is part of the problem with the show.
And like I asked you, did you even watched K-On as intended? Hate it for what it is, not what it isn't. Because while you may be right that there are some mistakes about their portrayal of music, it wasn't the primary focus of the show compared to the slice of life aspects of the show and are minor problems in the grand schemes of the show. Such issues does not detract from the main enjoyment of the show. It is, however, a minor issue that affects you gravely apparently. That's the difference and you refuse to admit this isn't a problem of the show, but actually, yourself. It's you, the viewer, that's not approaching the show correctly. I even specifically asked you to cite me the specific times they deal with music compared to their club activities. You'll notice it's very disproportionate if you did.

Also, do you even generally follow CD sales in general? K-On isn't the only anime to have sold character songs. Even Haruhi Suzumiya and Lucky Star predated this type of merchandising for example and they're both not music-related, so this isn't a wholly unique phenomenon you're blaming K-On for. The last few years has many shows doing this more commonly actually. So why are you hating on K-On for merchandising exactly? Every show sells its OST, OP and ED, even some insert songs if the show has any. So why are you even saying this is a problem with the show itself and its quality when it's unrelated to its actual quality? In short, the merchandising is equivalent to PreCure merchandising at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom