• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anita Sarkeesian: 'What I Couldn't Say'

Status
Not open for further replies.

nictron

Looks like Chico will indeed become Quiet really soon...

29676-keep-calm-and-wait-for-all-thi-Ur6J.gif

It doesnt turn them into it, Im not saying it turns average joe into a gater, Im talking about what our communtiy has turned into, the generation, not the individual person.

Its been cultivating and pandering to those kinds of people becuase that sense of entitlement can be easily manufactured in people who behave like that and its easy to exploit and monetize in a very predictable fashion.

Since this generation is comprised of the fruits of that labour, thats what our community at large has turned into, as everyone else has been marginalized for the easy to exploit and monetize audience, who is disgustingly obnoxious.

When you bring those kinds of people en masse into a community, it forms a different kind of community. Enter the seventh generation, and here we are.

Now this is an interesting point.

You are basically saying that the business practices of the industry have caused the gaming audience to shift toward the assholes of society.

That would make for a really cool research project.

zeroyazi

Banned
I was really trying to get caught up. Sorry if I offended anyone. Lots a hate just for asking if what I found online was accurately summarized in my post.

Mesoian

Now this is an interesting point.

You are basically saying that the business practices of the industry have caused the gaming audience to shift toward the assholes of society.

That would make for a really cool research project.

There may be something to that, as publishers stop being run by developers, programmers and designers and started being run by packaged goods gurus.

I was really trying to get caught up. Sorry if I offended anyone. Lots a hate just for asking if what I found online was accurately summarized in my post.

You did a pretty shit job in asking though. I thought you were referencing something that happened 8 months ago.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I'm confused. you wish people would stop trying to silence Anita with harassment?
Oh way to flip the... ???

I'm saying there is a discussion that's not being had while people shout back and fourth over how the the group that's not them needs to stop talking. Are the people in that YT comments section in any way right? No.

However, the argument that we should take away their media to brainwash them into compliance with more soothing media is absurd. It wont' work because their reasons for acting the way they do aren't actually moored in playing CoD or listening to Howard Stern or whatever you think is driving them.

My suggestion is to get to the root cause as it relates to gaming culture.
Sorry, but this traces straight to basic human nature. You can't turn the ship without a til. The underlying causes have to be addressed or this will never recover.

When online, don't act as if saying stupid shit is ok. report abusive behavior. leave the game. w/e. don't act like its normal or ok.

Superficial measures that doesn't really fix stuff and reinforces the paranoia of the people making the filth comments. Ok. That'll work.

Orayn

How is he off? What is your argument?

But seriously, making videos criticizing sexist tropes in video mes is not equivalent to saying "fuck you" to an entire industry. The response to Tropes vs. Women in Video Games has been anything but reasonable and your description of the "conflict" isn't anywhere close to accurate.

Unless you think that everything criticized in those videos is the HEART AND SOUL OF THE MEDIUM.

Peltz

Yeah, I agree with this.

I hate that simply trying to open the subject of how our hobby views women has resulted in such a hateful reaction. The discussion should be important to everyone, regardless of where they sit.

I guess I'm biased 'cause I'm an SJW...

What does SJW stand for?

aeolist

Banned

if you have any links you just happened to innocently stumble across without meaning to and would like me to verify them go ahead and post a few

MUnited83

For you.
So:
1. Businesses design and market product for a variety of target audiences.
2. Somebody gets offended when a group of products have a design that they don't like
3. Group takes donations to publicly say "Fuck You" to an entire industry
4. Group successfully picks a public fight with an industry
5. Group acts surprised when consumers and figures in and around industry say "Fuck You" and lash back
6. Group reacts by literally saying "Fuck You"
7. Group acts like a victim in a fight they started in public

Am I accurate? close? 50/50? way off?
Bye bye!

Patryn

Wow that is harsh. I tried but no one can provide a breakdown that doesn't include name calling. Can you help?

The way you presented your "timeline" clearly shows a bias towards certain viewpoints. It's obvious you're not coming into this with an open mind, and your asking for a simplistic summary indicates that you're unwilling to do the proper research into the topic. Hence why most people are dismissing you off hand.

botty

Banned
How is bashing zeroyazi helping with the conversation?

The products are marketed and produced in a certain way, yes. However, people like Anita are criticizing them and trying to ask for change to make things more inclusive. Also, things should not be marketed and produced in a way that exploits another demographic.

it's okay, but there's a lot of people who come into these threads using the old "I'M JUST A GUY ASKING QUESTIONS" defense, and it gets hard to tell between who is being genuine and sincere, especially when the language is semi loaded ("fuck you"s and whatnot)

injurai

Banned
So:
2. Somebody gets offended when a group of products have a design that they don't like
5. Group acts surprised when consumers and figures in and around industry say "Fuck You" and lash back

1. Since when did the exhaustively target audiences.
2. They get offended when no product fits what they would want.
3. She took donations from supporters and said fuck you do harassers.
4. Never heard of class action before?
5. All parties need to look at their own actions, and attempt to move past the action of others. Two wrongs don't make a right. They have a right to feel upset.
6. It's not so uncommon. She's run up and down the gamut of trying to make her point. Harassers deserve no less than that. It's obviously not a fuck you to everyone.
7. Why can she Anita and supporters no longer be victims?

Look she's made some mistakes. She's upset people. It is by no means okay to lash out in the way that people do. Even as people are joking she has no way. Why even joke about death threats. People obviously want to get under her skin.

They hardly care about contributing to the discussion and moving it forward. They would rather see her burn with her mistakes than overcome it with her at a higher level with her.

So you're pretty damn wrong.

zeroyazi

Banned
who said "fuck you" to the industry? When did that happen?

Also, clarify the "group". If you want to say feminists, say feminists. We're all adults here and obscuring what you mean helps nobody.

To clarify, group, you could say "feminists" I was trying to boil it down to the most simple terms without conjuring hate for one side or the other based on titles or labels.

Can you help?

No, because if you actually cared you would do so yourself.

And just in case you are ignorant to what the "JAQ-off" part meant it is a person who engages in "Just Asking Questions". A commonly used tactic by scummy Internet people to hide outlandish and completely fabricated accusations behind the facade of genuine curiosity.

Ramenman

So:

I think you're deeply misinformed about the situation.

This has nothing to do with "consumers and industry figures don't like you". This doesn't even begin to describe it.

We're not talking about people sending angry e-mails at Phil Harrisson because he wore a Battletoads shirt without announcing a remake.

We're not talking about a stupid politician receiving a bunch of angry tweets the night after saying something stupid about games on Fox News.

Look at this : http://femfreq.tumblr.com/post/109319269825/one-week-of-harassment-on-twitter

Everyday like this for 3 years.

+ not being able to go out due to actual death threats.

This is way beyond any consideration of what she has to say or what she has said about games and the games industry. No one should have to live like this.

aeolist

Banned

The products are marketed and produced in a certain way, yes. However, people like Anita are criticizing them and trying to ask for change to make things more inclusive. Also, things should not be marketed and produced in a way that exploits another demographic.

what does any of that have to do with anita sarkeesian being forced to restructure her entire life in order to deal with sociopaths threatening her every day?

Mrmartel

Banned
I'm not going to get into it, but just to begin, portraying what Sarkeesian is attempting to do with the Tropes series as a "Fuck You" to the games industry is misguided beyond belief.

Well maybe counterpoints to his list have been raised before. But drive-by posts don't help a proper discussion. I wonder if anyone here can argue each point the guy listed?

Mesoian

And doing so is not a "fuck you" towards the industry.

Orayn

What does SJW stand for?

"Social justice warrior"

Once used to refer to people who got carried away in their activism for good causes, now a meaningless pejorative label applied to anyone whose politics are even remotely progressive.

Bonus: This term was largely pioneered by some weirdo who thinks that racism literally does not exist.

Marcel

Well maybe counterpoints to his list have been raised before. But drive-by posts don't help a proper discussion. I wonder if anyone here can argue each point the guy listed?

Why should anyone be obligated to argue against some guy's simply misguided and totally innocent Just Asking Questions nonsense?

I really don't understand where these people come from? Who are their parents? What kind of society are they a part of? Which school do they attend? I'm scared.

There's a Gamergate guy in my class. I study at a pretty well-ranked university. Doing Mathematics.

I don't understand how someone intelligent and well-educated can be so disgustingly prejudiced.

No, do not avoid the comments.

Look at them.

Look at them.

This is what the current state of our hobby has bred. This is the new generation that represents our hobby, formed by the media they consumed.

Look at them.

You want to change this, stop supporting what creates them. And actively rebuke it, and them.

Do not cover your eyes and ignore it. Anita sure as hell doesnt have that luxery.

That is not relegated to just our hobby though. Look at the comment section of practically anything and you'll see some horrible shit most of the time.

Sports, music, movies, whatever. The internet is freedom of expression without consequence. If there was consequence, or you were forced to disclose who you were or something like that, doubt you would see the sort of comments you do ( and no, that would be horrible and not advocating it ). But, it is what it is.

zeroyazi

Banned
it's okay, but there's a lot of people who come into these threads using the old "I'M JUST A GUY ASKING QUESTIONS" defense, and it gets hard to tell between who is being genuine and sincere, especially when the language is semi loaded ("fuck you"s and whatnot)

Thanks for explaining my missteps without the name calling.

That is not relegated to our hobby though. Look at the comment section of practically anything and you'll see some horrible shit most of the time.

Sports, music, movies, whatever. The internet is freedom of expression without consequence. If there was consequence, or you were forced to disclose who you were or something like that, doubt you would see the sort of comments you do ( and no, that would be horrible and not advocating it ). But, it is what it is.

There aren't mass harassment campaigns against female directors, writers, musicians, etc, though. That's what makes it different.

The burden of proof would be on the person presenting the argument, that's how it works outside fuckstick academy. If they can support each of their points with facts and evidence, I'll gladly demolish them.

There may be something to that, as publishers stop being run by developers, programmers and designers and started being run by packaged goods gurus.

Exactly.

It would be interesting to find out if there is there a correlation between the gamer gate attitudes and people either ignorant or open supporters of newer gaming industry practices.

My gut says no, but I would be interested in the results of such a study/survey.

Mrmartel

Banned
Why should anyone be obligated to argue against some guy's simply misguided and totally innocent Just Asking Questions nonsense?

Because I prefer different opinions than a giant hivemind? It makes this board more interesting rather than everyone with the same opinions with a slightly different thought or two

Orayn

But what about the sea lions, Marcel? They just want a polite and civil discussion. Why must you be so mean to our dear friends in the Otariidae family? What have sea lions ever done to you?

P.S. you are being uncivil and cruel if you do not give a clear, dispassionate answer to every single question in this post.

geordiemp

I totally agree with her about the hate and despicable stuff on social media. Actually I would prefer she made that the prime drive and message in her media.

To me the problem is social media, and any #prominent' person with such views on any topic (not just games) on you tube would get hate, wrongly but its the evil part of social media today.

What I don't really want is over the top 'political correctness' in games because of 'social pressures' on developers and content creators which does worry me a little.

What is the end game here..............?

aeolist

Banned
There's a Gamergate guy in my class. I study at a pretty well-ranked university. Doing Mathematics.

I don't understand how someone intelligent and well-educated can be so disgustingly prejudiced.

i guarantee you that you know a disturbingly large number of people who think STEM is the only worthwhile area of study and women just don't want to have well-paid jobs in engineering

zeroyazi

Banned
No, because if you actually cared you would do so yourself.

And just in case you are ignorant to what the "JAQ-off" part meant it is a person who engages in "Just Asking Questions". A commonly used tactic by scummy Internet people to hide outlandish and completely fabricated accusations behind the facade of genuine curiosity.

Oh, I thought it was just a hip way to call someone a jack-off.

Dio

Banned
Wow that is harsh. I tried but no one can provide a breakdown that doesn't include name calling. Can you help?

1. anita made a super entry level feminism 101 video criticizing portrayal of women in videogames (not necessarily a bad thing, entry level doesn't mean bad)
2. people take what would be a regular, everyday internet post about women in * form of media as a personal insult because it's videogames, not movies and videogames are the last bastion of masculinity in a world where emasculated sissy boys are the status quo and the real he-man is an endangered species
3. escalation, trolls on all sides, people from various websites intentionally spreading misinformation about these angry people and about anita/etc basically siphoning a bunch of really gullible/stupid/willfully ignorant people into believing falsehoods through sheer volume and repetition
4. groups of people who would normally never give a shit about internet feminists making a youtube video see an opportunity for profit and viewers, even more groups of people who see an opportunity to make a shitload of people mad join in, various fractured corners of the internet such as supposed MRAs, republicans, libertarians, conspiracy theorists etc etc join under the banner of #gamergate because this whole thing is a catalyst that proves women are trying to cut everyone's balls off and turn the world into a hellish postapocalyptic matriarchy where everyone must be fed feelings pills and kick dirt at the new 'male subhuman'.

Did I miss anything? I don't really follow this shit much anymore, but I was there for its inception

Genuinely curious what your sources are if THAT list is what you came up with after doing some research.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
This is why everyone with a different opinion shouldn't automatically get perma-banned after one post. If I only heard about Gamergate through places like Reddit, then I would think that it was an issue unrelated to misogyny. It's better to debate those with different opinions then to just silence them. Who knows, you might convince them to change their stance on the issue.

So:

Tropes vs Women isn't a "fuck you" to the gaming industry, it's a youtube video series that explores the portrayal of women in movies, games, and general pop culture. It existed for years before it got on Kickstarter (2009-2012), and it was only when the subject turned to games that the death threats started rolling in.

If you can show me in a video where Anita said "fuck this shit and fuck all of you" to the entire industry, I'm all ears (and eyes). If saying "Game X promotes negative stereotypes of women" is equivalent to "fuck you", I really don't know what to say.

She then received constant harassment, death threats, rape threats, and doxxing attempts. This is the "lash back" in your step 5, and is never appropriate in public discourse at any level.

Step 6 is just baffling - if you'd actually watched the video, she explicitly points out it's the thing that she couldn't say to her detractors, as she was trying to be the better person. But she has now realized that people who would latch on and poke fun at any emotional reaction that people give to their harassers are also part of the problem of stymieing women in society.

Step 7 - who else could possibly be seen as a victim here? Who else is having their life changed, day in and day out, by Anita Sarkeesian blowing up their twitter and email and home phone?

I really hope this was a sarcastic post, because it's only possible to see #GG as victims if you're this blatantly dishonest when framing the discussion.

And honestly, don't do this. "Just asking questions" when it's clear you already have a frame of reference and an opinion on the discussion is just condescending and transparent.

botty

Banned
what does any of that have to do with anita sarkeesian being forced to restructure her entire life in order to deal with sociopaths threatening her every day?

I went to the foundation of his timeline to show where his viewpoint was skewed. Maybe if he can understand where things went wrong and why they are wrong he might be enlightened on a subject that has been extremely difficult to follow and understand (how many threads were there on Gaf over this...with people still not understanding it all?).

I don't see showing people in an "ignorant/lazy" corner and piling up on them will help with the conversation. It really comes off like people are ban hungry and grave dancing instead of trying to start a conversation.

And doing so is not a "fuck you" towards the industry.

Obviously for some, but evidently not for everyone.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Why do people feel the need to keep repeating that sexism and online harassment arent only problems in the games industry in every thread about sexism and harassment happening in the games industry? Like, no shit, sherfucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom