• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else hate Power Rangers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wereroku

At the time it was the bomb but it is pretty dated now. However Bryan Cranston was in the original as a snake suited dude which is pretty cool.

A friend put Power Rangers: Dino Charge on last night as a joke and we ended up watching three episodes. Awful but hilarious. I couldn't believe how 90's it felt. Either the people behind it knew what they were doing or it was actually made in 1997. I might keep watching just for the monster costumes. Too cool.

Well, the more recent series made by Saban have intentionally been 90's in order to bring in the nostalgia crowd.

By the way, I suppose it's worth bringing up Linkara's History of Power Rangers videos, where he goes way in depth on every series.

As for me, I watched all the way through Time Force, then watched RPM after it finished.

Killua

Even when I was a kid I thought the show was mad corny. I couldnt understand why some of my friends liked it. I dont hate it but I dont like it either.

I watched some Power Rangers in space and Lost Galaxy recently and had a great time. This is coming from someone who was in his twenties in the 90's.

That Astro bad girl was something.

It has colourful super heroes in suits, robots dinosaurs that fuse together to make a giant robot with a sword, a badass the tune that plays when shit gets real and plot lines that are easy to follow. It's really not difficult to understand why it's popular among young kids, especially boys. I loved it growing up. I sure as hell wasn't watching it to notice how bad the effects were, I was like 6.

Pluto

I love it, not every season but the show as a whole is fun, you just have to embrace the cheese. It's people in colored spandex suits fighting rubber monsters, that's awesome!
The storylines aren't bad either in some seasons, it's not Breaking Bad but it doesn't try to be.

Of course not every season is good, if your son made you watch Samurai/Super Samurai or Megaforce/Super Megaforce ... yikes, those are bad and even most Power Rangers fans will agree with that.

Dino Charge on the other hand is pretty good.

If you watch in Netflix check out Power Rangers Ninja Storm, it doesn't take itself seriously at all, it's really funny.

I hope after Dino Charge is finished they adapt ToQger, it had an orange sixth ranger and a color change gimmick, many people don't care for that but I thought it was great that we got all kinds of different color combinations like a female red and a male pink for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEFSph131GM

It didn't age well, that's for sure.

I loved it as a kid but watching it as an adult makes me cringe.

I can still enjoy the cheesiness of this movie though:

Power_Rangers_The_Movie_Score.PNG

Branson

RPM, In Space, and possibly MegaForce would like a word with you.

I havent kept up that far honestly but I did watch a lot of the Japanese Series that spawned the original Power Rangers and actually really liked the way it was presented and how the stories were written, seemed aimed more at teens than earlier.

I was about 6 when the first PR show hit, so I loved it. If you never watched it when you were young, you probably wouldn't like it, because you have a fully developed brain. But as a dumb kid, it was great.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The original series was amazing for the time.

power-rangers-robot-o.gif
Being into this series is one of the highlights of my life. It has this an appealing dynamic between its characters, action scenes, character specific abilities, and a serialized plot that also works on an episodic basis. It's almost objectively appealing to kids. Everyone I knew was into it. You could go to school and talk about Power Rangers and be almost 100% certain that the person would share your enthusiasm for it.

Media targeted towards youth has that universal appeal. What a wonderful age to be.

Time Force was weirdly adult for the time, to the point where there were talks about it getting some sort of prime time second season. Probably my favorite season.

MIMIC

Banned
Well it looks like crap now, but when I was in 2nd grade, this was the shit ^_^

The movies still look OK.

Sawneeks

Banned
It's a show about people dressing up in costumes and fighting monsters, you can't take it seriously if you want to enjoy it lol. It's like watching a dumb action movie; you're there to have fun, not to watch a masterpiece.

I can get behind the Selfie Rangers.

If I remember right he also has a Gun-Guitar and his morpher is a fake cheeseburger.

Uzumaki Goku

In Space and Time Force are actually very good seasons with strong character writing. So Power Rangers did evolve as time went on.

jadedm17

Hate is a strong word.

I do agree that MMPR is very hard to watch as an adult, as much as I loved it as a kid.

Uzumaki Goku

I actually rewatched some episodes of MMPR, well I can't say that it's a GOOD show, I can't deny I kinda enjoy the cheesy charm of it.

AcridMeat

Banned
I have vivid memories of potty training at 3 years old while watching Mighty Morphin'. I even called my mom pink ranger and sister yellow ranger.

I loved it as a kid but watching it as an adult makes me cringe.

I can still enjoy the cheesiness of this movie though:

Power_Rangers_The_Movie_Score.PNG

I watched that movie again for the first time in like 10 years. I was drunk, but I found the whole movie fun and hilarious at same time. Gotta love nostalgia.

shaowebb

Yeah Kuuga is the shit. The last Kamen Rider with blood in it, now it's all spark effects.

I think Blade and Kabuto had some. Occassionally folks still get scratched up but no outright bloody wounds like in Kuuga. Still Garren looked pretty tore up in this shot in Blade.
cvEW4Vf.png

I have a younger brother who was really into it when it first came out in 1993. I definitely turned my nose up at it then.

Now that we're both well into our 30's, we both have an appreciation for it's low budget cheesiness. We recently watched a bunch of the original Japanese version of the show, which is just as cheesy but more coherent in it's own weird logic than the American one.

Plus the toys were always pretty damn cool.

RoKKeR

My little sister has it on Nick right now, some of the dumbest shit I've ever seen. Amazing how much better SpongeBob is than literally every other Sunday morning cartoon.

But she seems to enjoy so more power to her.

I havent kept up that far honestly but I did watch a lot of the Japanese Series that spawned the original Power Rangers and actually really liked the way it was presented and how the stories were written, seemed aimed more at teens than earlier.
it's funny you say that because Sentai is aimed at like 5 year olds but Power Rangers is aimed at like 8-10 year olds.

I hated them when they came out because I was 15 and thought it looked lame. Basically the same way I felt about Hercules and Xena.

Yeah man, I was all about the Beetleborgs as a kid.

I liked Power Rangers up until the ninja one. I saw a little of SPD but didn't watch it consistently. But man the original Mighty Morphin Power Rangers with Tommy as the Green Ranger with the fucking Dragonzord was amazing.

Lucumo

More or less.

They basically take a Japanese show from a franchise called Super Sentai, replace all the footage of Japanese actors with new footage of American actors, and come up with a new story and stuff. (Generally, a few series have been so close to the original version you could basically call them just remakes)

Obviously, I don't know what ones your kid has been watching, but like the currently airing series, Power Rangers Dino Charge, which began in 2015, uses footage from a show called Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger, which aired in Japan in 2013.

Nah, it has been mostly New Zealand actors for a while now, considering they are producing the show in New Zealand.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Nah, it has been mostly New Zealand actors for a while now, considering they are producing the show in New Zealand.

Actually of the latest seasons Rangers (nine in total), only three are from New Zealand. I just checked, only the Black Ranger, the Graphite Ranger, and the first Purple Ranger are from NZ.
The Blue Ranger is from Indonesia, the Gold Ranger is from Brazil, and the rest from the US.

Delio

Nah I don't hate it at all. Love the show even now with how campy it is and the rare times it breeds some cool ideas. Plus I have a ton of respect for the actors after meeting them. Met two of my best friends through that fandom that have stuck with me for years so it has a place with me.

Lucumo

Actually of the latest seasons Rangers (nine in total), only three are from New Zealand. I just checked, only the Black Ranger, the Graphite Ranger, and the first Purple Ranger are from NZ.
The Blue Ranger is from Indonesia, the Gold Ranger is from Brazil, and the rest from the US.

But there are also all the supporting actors.

rmt92

I remember I stopped watching after Power Rangers In Space when I was a kid and then several years later I caught the newest one on TV one morning. It was Power Rangers SPD, and I actually liked it quite a bit more than anything that was between it and in space.

That was 10 years ago so my memory is probably fuzzy on its quality.

A big part of why Power Rangers rocked back in the day was the Metal Gear Rising-like buttrock. Cheesy, shameless, and totally awesome in battle.

Co-co-co-COMBAT!!!!!

Seriously, it was a genius move to insert background music like that over the original Sentai footage. It completely changed the scenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom