• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else hate Power Rangers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nasax

I was in 5th grade when it came out and initially enjoyed it but I started to notice the chessiness and lost interest. So fast forward about twenty years later and I was blown away how many different series this show has after stumbling into a watchmojo video on YouTube of the top ten PR series.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
wveBec3.jpg

This guy sure does

I'm still amazed this guy made it onto a kids' show and I'm still salty that they made a goober out of him to soften his image.

m3k

I was 12 when it came to my attention... I hated it

I wanted the serious realism that ninja turtles, voltron and transformers once gave me

funkypie

Banned
power rangers the movie made 66 million.

once they started going turbo and messing about it in space, the audience dropped off.

turbo movie made 9 million.

ajim

Pretty sure Pink Ranger is every 90's kids' first crush.
Nope.

Mine was Trini, the yellow ranger. Mad crushed on her as a kid. The start or me being into Asian chicks.

Rip.

And lord z is a bad ass character for a kids show. He's so well designed he could slot into any kind of overlord character slot in any game.

KevinCow

Banned
I loved Power Rangers as a kid.

Then I got a little older and decided I hated Power Rangers because it was stupid baby shit and I was a mature 10-year-old.

Then as I got older I decided I was pretty much completely indifferent to Power Rangers outside of some nostalgia for the first few seasons and being impressed that the show is still running and still popular with the kids.

It's basically the B-movie version of a kid's show. As someone with a passing fondness for the badness and cheese of B-movies, I don't hate Power Rangers, no. Kids deserve to experience the joy of cheese too.

NEO0MJ

Right now yeah I can't stand the sight of them but as a kid Power Rangers ruled my world.

nope i have huge respect for the original show as i can still remember this day seeing commercials and watching the series premier of the show as a kid.Then as an adult i fulfilled a childhood dream and bought these a couple years ago.

Thankfully my GF was also a huge PR fan so we both geeked out as each of those came in the mail lol

So jealous of the Shogun Megazord. Always thought it was one of the cooler designs. Seeing this though reminded me of how much a downgrade Tor was in comparison to Titanus. And that robot mode, lol.

Pokemaniac

I began to hate it when they brought back Tommy as the White Ranger and proceeded to make him the focus of the show and most of the subsequent series. To this day I kind of still hate the franchise because of that character and his actor.

Do newer/recent series even reference the original at all or is it a separate universe/timeline now?

Starting with Lost Galaxy, every season is more or less standalone with every season being a soft rebbot of sorts. They reference each other and take place in the same universe (aside from one that explicitly was an alternate universe because reconciling its plot with later seasons wouldn't work that well), but past teams tend to not appear outside of once per season team-up episodes.

Though, if you're curious about Tommy in particular, he's gone halfway though Turbo, and his only other extended appearance is in Dino Thunder where he is the mentor figure.

Starting with Lost Galaxy, every season is more or less standalone with every season being a soft rebbot of sorts. They reference each other and take place in the same universe (aside from one that explicitly was an alternate universe because reconciling its plot with later seasons wouldn't work that well), but past teams tend to not appear outside of once per season team-up episodes.

Though, if you're curious about Tommy in particular, he's gone halfway though Turbo, and his only other extended appearance is in Dino Thunder where he is the mentor figure.

Different seasons emphasize the shared universe aspect at different levels, though all of them after Lost Galaxy show an odd lack of awareness of previous seasons until they actually cross over. The one that was worst about this was Super Megaforce, a season where the rangers can straight up transform into previous rangers yet they somehow completely screwed up the nostalgia theme. That was the best place to include callbacks, and they just didn't. One of the most egregious examples was that there was a Sentai episode involving a villain from a previous series returning, who was established as still being alive in the Power Rangers equivalent, and the heroes fought him solely using forms that appeared in Power Rangers, and they chose not to adapt that episode.

blakep267

Just to reiterate, you had to be a kid and in the 90's to appreciate it. As a kid you can overlook things and often you don't see the cheese( and by kid I mean 7-8. Not 12)

Like power rangers in Psace to a kid looked amazing. They had cool space suits, cool ship etc. it looks like cheap sci go now but for power rangers, that was a first. Leaving earth and the normal format

MAtgS

I have a 3 year old boy and for the most part I enjoy a lot of the things he is into. (Reliving my youth I guess)

But he really likes the Power Rangers on Netflix. And it is just a horrid show. Everything about it looks cheap. I almost think the show is a troll of itself. Like they know it's horrible so they just make it more horrible.

Clearly it's been really successful, there's a ton of Power Ranger series. But who enjoys this shit?

Watch some RPM on Netflix & then try telling me it sucks.

WillyFive

Watch some RPM on Netflix & then try telling me it sucks.

RPM has a cool story, but the production looked like it was made with cardboard and tape.

If cheapness is his issue with the show, RPM is the epitome of it outside the original show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom