• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone Miss the Old 1st Generation Pokemon Art Style?

Yeah.

There were some other pretty freaky ones. I didn't want to post them for the children's sake.
Like Ditto and Eggsecutor especially. (Eggsecutor looks like an Attack on Titan guy. Stomping on things with that facial expression...)
e3hGis6.png

This old art is seriously fucked up

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Gen 1 and 2 art had a certain roughness that I like, but the new art looks great too and honestly from a technical standpoint it's a lot better.

I was going to post that mewtwo vs lucario artwork that was drawn.

Vico

I just bought Pokemon Black (because of TwitchPlaysPokemon), so I'll be able to comment on this in a few days.

No, I've been playing since blue and looking back the designs of the first generation are boring compared to now. OP, the only thing I think you prefer is nostalgia.

PensOwl

Banned
Gen 1 and 2 art had a certain roughness that I like, but the new art looks great too and honestly from a technical standpoint it's a lot better.

Wow that second one looks really great.

If only X and Y captured the same bustling, Poke-Paris feel...

Some of the sprites never got better than their Gen 2 and Yellow versions.
Spr_1y_009.png
Spr_2g_009.png

And the art just has a more unique look and some cool poses for the Pokemon. But some of Sugimori's old character art is really awkward.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I think his trainer art has gotten A LOT better.

There isn't much of a difference between the watercolor and digital Pokemon art. A lot of the poses are identical or mirrored. There are Gen 1 Pokemon with more dynamic traditional art and Gen 1 Pokemon with more dynamic digital art. That said I definitely would like to see Sugimori draw the newer Pokemon traditionally because I enjoy traditional art. I think his art style has improved immensely since Gen 1 overall.

It'd be cool to see him do more illustrations like the ones below.

Battle_Subway_Art.jpg

Yveltal-Official-Illustration_300dpi.png

Dat battle subway art.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
G1 was where Pokemon peaked for me, FireRed being the best version of Pokemon for me.

If you went back in time and showed my young self how Pokemon games are today you would get punched in the mouth. The way this series evolved is completely disappointing.

I still dream with a fully realized Pokemon world, rendered with awesome graphics, where rare pokemons are really rare (your mind would explode if you ever encountered a Legendary pokemon), player could organize and compete on leagues for prizes, you could challenge other player you encountered, pokemon would have dynamic personality and their appearance would have slight variations according to their stats. I would buy two WiiUs for a game like this.

Sounds like a game that could never exsit in reality tbh.

StayDead

I personally prefer the newer designs in terms of promotional art, it's much cleaner and the trainer art especially is fantastic now.

qq more

No, I've been playing since blue and looking back the designs of the first generation are boring compared to now. OP, the only thing I think you prefer is nostalgia.

This is a pretty stupid thing to say. Wow, knock it off with the stupid "you only like it because nostalgia" bullshit that poisons every fucking Pokemon thread.

Some of the sprites never got better than their Gen 2 and Yellow versions.
Spr_1y_009.png
Spr_2g_009.png

It's a shame Blastoise's sprite got worse since Gen 3. His poses looked so off since then, not to mention something looked really off about his face in most of the newer games.

I like everything up untill gen 3.
But gen 1 are my favorite pokemon.
I don't know why. Its probably nostalgia since everything untill gen 3 was on Gameboys and I loved gameboys because they were a part of my childhood. The DS never had this place in my heart because the PSP took it.

qq more

I like everything up untill gen 3.
But gen 1 are my favorite pokemon.
I don't know why. Its probably nostalgia since everything untill gen 3 was on Gameboys and I loved gameboys because they were a part of my childhood. The DS never had this place in my heart because the PSP took it.

The design style of the Pokemon games tends to change each gen. I think it's reasonable to expect some people to dislike newer Pokemon due to that, even without nostalgia.

LeleSocho

Banned
Yeah pretty much with Gen4 and after the art became extremely boring... always clean with very solid colors like it was taken straight from the anime.

Tenck

Next time just try serebii or bulbapedia,

Remembering correctly would help him too. Was pretty embarrassing he got it wrong twice.

Like some of the people here, I miss the old designs too. I wont say I like them over the new designs though. They're all pretty good to me.

Toxi

Banned
One thing I love about X and Y's models is that they let us see more than the sprites would reveal. Like how Samurott uses swords on its arms.
pYTRymc.gif

Griss

I miss the old Sugimori watercolor roughness in promotional artwork.

The actual games look better than ever. We've gone from this...
Spr_1b_006.png

To this.
charizard.gif

This is exactly how I feel. The 'artwork' has declined hugely, just because the original watercolour style was amazing. But the in-game stuff has only improved, with a massive jump in quality to the cell-shaded 3D of Pokemon X.

Player character designs in-game have been a trainwreck for some time, though.

udivision

One thing I love about X and Y's models is that they let us see more than the sprites would reveal. Like how Samurott uses swords on its arms.
pYTRymc.gif

Welcome to the year 2000.

There were a lot of amazing touches in Pokemon Stadium that really gave life to the monsters.

Toxi

Banned

There were a lot of amazing touches in Pokemon Stadium that really gave life to the monsters.
Stadium (and later home console titles) has a ton of great animations, but it took forever to see that level of detail on a handheld title.

Snap and Pokepark also made them very lifelike. I hope we get a new Snap game.

SegaShack

I completely agree, the old art was simply beautiful and had a unique style of its own, the sprites represented this. There is a reason children like myself were immersed by the old art. The post GS games are just bland in comparison.

I mean, I guess it's true that Stadium and the console games have always shown them that way, but seeing it in the main games feels different. The evolution between even the GBA and now is awesome, at least to me.

For example;
Spr_3r_310.png
VS.
310.gif
VS.
manectric.gif

Spr_3r_354.png
VS.
354.gif
VS.
banette.gif

I feel as though the in-game personality of the Pokemon makes up for any perceived generic-ness in the official art.

upandaway

Sincerely if they still used that coloring style nowadays i think there wouldn't be half of the genwunners.
I mean look at this

It looks beyond marvelous.
Yeah. I think all this "new designs in old style" is sorta proving that the whole mindset of new designs looking different is a perception thing.

Dr. Buni

Yes, it is literally the only thing I miss about the first generation of the series. The current art style, especially for humans, is too generic animu for my tastes.

Edit: I am talking about the Pokémon designs in Sugimori Art. The sprites in Generation 1 games were fucking awful.

Also, on the subject, it might sound weird, but after playing BW, B2W2 and XY, I really miss the static sprites from Generations 1~4.

LeleSocho

Banned
Yeah. I think all this "new designs in old style" is sorta proving that the whole mindset of new designs looking different is a perception thing.

I thought immediately so after watching these old style drawings.
For example MagaBlastoise in official artwork looks awful and i would've continued to think that it had an awful design if i didn't see the old coloring drawings that make him look more than decent (still not great though).

I thought immediately so after watching these old style drawings.
For example MagaBlastoise in official artwork looks awful and i would've continued to think that it had an awful design if i didn't see the old coloring drawings that make him look more than decent (still not great though).

This artwork sums it up nicely for me. Drawn like this, I don't think Tyrantrum stands out from any of the original 151 designs.

Giever

I actually quite like the newer Gen 6 Pokemon models. The only thing that really bothers me is that every single one of them is just ridiculously desaturated compared to practically every previous incarnation from each gen. The pokes are so fucking faded in Gen 6, it drives me crazy.

[insert post about how my generation is better than your current generation and if you like what's out now then you have no idea how good the "old days where" even though I've never played any of the latest games but I'm still right]

No, the old art style sucked.

Pikachu-Gen-1.png

Kill it with super effective ground type.

Spr_1b_045.png

:(
Seriously, give 'em a chance.

Stadium (and later home console titles) has a ton of great animations, but it took forever to see that level of detail on a handheld title.

Snap and Pokepark also made them very lifelike. I hope we get a new Snap game.

On the Wii U hopefully.

Village

Just look at what they did to misty going from FRLG to SSHG :C

from this

to derp
She got older yes.

Ontopic

No.

I have no emotional connection to the older art, and as an artist he has gotten way better over time. Even if i liked the older art,which I don't really now that I look at it, i couldn't even say its better because sugamori has gotten so much better.

And in regards to pikachu, they refined his designed and made him look more like a mouse, you know good evolving art and all that.

Top Bottom