• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone Miss the Old 1st Generation Pokemon Art Style?

Spaghetti

the art style most definitely used to be better, and about 99% of gripes about the designs of the current mons go away when they're drawn in the old style

it's just cut and dry garden variety anime styling right now and it's so fucking bland.

Platy

I don't know .... old pikachu looked more like a pillow than an actual animal =P

Also what the pokemon amie person said

Oh come on now. There are a ton of crummy designs in the original 151. They're not all Mewtwo and Blastoise.

Huh? I was saying it doesn't stand out from the other designs, not that there weren't crummy designs in Gen 1. Backing up the wrong Street.

Epically blastiose.

For all the crap the later starters get, I don't feel like Blastoise gets enough. Not only does the design completely disregard what had been unique about that line up until that point (the tail) it grows freaking canons out of absolutely no where.

Anyone miss the old Ford Model T? What a car that was! None of this hybrid engine, low emission, enviro-friendly crap with shit like cup holders, central locking and fancy movable seats. I miss that old school cranking fun! Your arm got tired turning it, crying desperately for the car to start. Nowadays cars are too easy to start and very weird looking. I mean what the hell is a Hatchback?

The old Sugimori art does have a rustic charm to it. But that's mostly becayse it's watercolor as opposed to digital art like the new ones. Not to mention this art never appeared in the actual games themselves and the sprite/3D art in X&Y are great

It's still pleasing aesthetically, but it's very dated. It's understandable that they moved on.

This though, is amazing. The artist just took a huge dump on every genwunner.

tyrantrum___old_s__style_by_tomycase-d6n6nfs.png

For all the crap the later starters get, I don't feel like Blastoise gets enough. Not only does the design completely disregard what had been unique about that line up until that point (the tail) it grows freaking canons out of absolutely no where.

Cannons are Rule of Cool and don't need any kind of logical explanation.

Village

Huh? I was saying it doesn't stand out from the other designs, not that there weren't crummy designs in Gen 1. Backing up the wrong Street.

THANK YOU .

Cannons are Rule of Cool and don't need any kind of logical explanation.

They don't at all, and when out of nowhere and overdone, like blastioise, ruin shit.

This is probably a generous assessment but the Squirtle line may have been designed around a progression of war themes. Wartortle is a combination of turtle and valkyrie. Blastoise's cannon represents a more modern instrument of war.

And yeah I agree. Blastoise pushes a dangerous Digimon aesthetic. By that I mean the later generations where the designers stopped caring about creativity and began to slap cannons on everything.

Trakan

I definitely miss Pokemon looking like monsters. I much preferred Mewtwo looking like the genetic freak he was.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
It's really more so the poses being a bit more generic more than the change in coloring style in my opinion, most of the new Pokemon are given static poses to show them off better which looks a bit boring. Sugimori's obviously "evolved" as an artist though (for better or worse), I imagine it's probably hard for him to draw in the style he used to.

As a counterpoint to that, check Ferrothorn's Sugimori Art:

daBn7Bp.png

It actually looks really cool because it's in a more dynamic pose with interesting lighting.

icy_eagle

Art changes over time yes.

You've managed to pinpoint this thread's focal discussion point. Congratulations

Gold isn't fat short and ugly anymore I know.

Gold_Silver_Ethan_running.png

Yes what a fatty. /s
I'd hate to have to meet your expectations of a body build when apparently nothing but skin and bones is acceptable? I'd rather have this than see the doe-eyed mug of current design.

Toxi

Banned
It's really more so the poses being a bit more generic more than the change in coloring style in my opinion, most of the new Pokemon are given static poses to show them off better which looks a bit boring. Sugimori's obviously "evolved" as an artist though (for better or worse), I imagine it's probably hard for him to draw in the style he used to.

As a counterpoint to that, check Ferrothorn's Sugimori Art:

daBn7Bp.png

It actually looks really cool because it's in a more dynamic pose with interesting lighting.
Good point. Love Ferrothorn, it's one of the most visually "what you see is what you get" Pokemon I've ever seen.

Good point. Love Ferrothorn, it's one of the most visually "what you see is what you get" Pokemon I've ever seen.

Here we go, here's what I'm talking about.

It's not nearly one of the uglier ones, but look how flat and textureless the eyes look.. What is that green part? Are the eyes just stickers? No depth.. no life.

As for the body, it's not as bad, but still.. is it an onion like some kind of root vegetable? Is it a rock? What's the theme here? What are the triangular parts pointing up to the eyes?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Where are y'all getting those lovely animated model GIFs with transparency from?

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
I mean, I guess it's true that Stadium and the console games have always shown them that way, but seeing it in the main games feels different. The evolution between even the GBA and now is awesome, at least to me.

For example;
Spr_3r_310.png
VS.
310.gif
VS.
manectric.gif

Spr_3r_354.png
VS.
354.gif
VS.
banette.gif

I feel as though the in-game personality of the Pokemon makes up for any perceived generic-ness in the official art.
^
Promotional art may suck but the in game art/models are some of the best now.

Skelter

Banned
Best Gengar.

Spr_1y_094.png

I don't mind the new artstyle really I just don't like a lot of the newer pokemon well from Gen 4-5. Gen 6 has a lot of great pokemon.

LuuKyK

Oh how I do. Gen 1 Pokémon are never going to be topped. The amazing art and uniqueness with each and every one of them... Just so remarkable.

idk ever since gen 4, the faces on humans sometimes looks really weird

Overall I was never too bothered by the human designs in DPP, but there was some definite ones that felt off. I think HGSS was the first game where I noticed it in most of the characters.

I think that as far as human designs go, FRLG still had some of the best.

SummitAve

Banned
It's the design of Pokemon like Blaziken that really turn me off. It's like he's wearing a pair of high waisted Lee Pipes. It looks absolutely stupid and yet people seem to really latch onto that style. That is where Pokemon has left me behind. I want less anime stylings and less human looking Pokemon.

Watch Da Birdie

It's not nearly one of the uglier ones, but look how flat and textureless the eyes look.. What is that green part? Are the eyes just stickers? No depth.. no life.

As for the body, it's not as bad, but still.. is it an onion like some kind of root vegetable? Is it a rock? What's the theme here? What are the triangular parts pointing up to the eyes?

Well, I'd say the lifeless look is a bit on purpose since it goes well with its status as a defensive wall...it's not very active, and basically spends all its time hanging from ceilings in the dark, thus it doesn't really need prominent eyes. The green part is probably the inner body showing from underneath the metallic plating.

It's basically one of those pointy nuts mixed with an iron flail. A plant creature covered in metal.

wmlk

You can nitpick with just about any Pokémon. I don't see how this argument has any merit.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I definitely like how Pokemon look now. The only problem I have is that the in-game models look really washed-out in terms of color, as shown below.

Whenever GF makes the next Pokemon game, they need to give the Pokemon back their color.

Ironically the models evoke the early watercolor based concept art better.

Ironically the models evoke the early watercolor based concept art better.

Water color isn't synonymous with washed out, which generally means lacking color saturation.

The old pokemon art is in no way lacking saturation, in my opinion; the colors are bright and vivid.

Watch Da Birdie

I actually really like the "Dream World" Global Link artwork they use for the online websites, everything's really bright and cartoony, and the Pokemon all look really vivid.

bKMQ8zn.jpg

It's a bit more childish looking, sure, but I think it's cute.

I always thought of wartortle as the awkward one in that line.. as the strong badass and the first of the family I saw, Blastoise justified his own existence. As the baby, squirtle was cute and simple. Wartortle was just the awkward intermediary that was necessary between the two.

Though, now that I think about it, if blastoise was a gen 5 or 6 pokemon with the exact same design, the cannons would be enough to get him called a crappy digimon knockoff.

Watch Da Birdie

The biggest problem with the Squirtle line is its the only Generation 1 Starter that doesn't have a clear and logical evolutionary path.

I mean, Wartortle gains the ears and tail, but then turns around and loses them in exchange for cannons. It's just really awkward and odd. It'd be interesting to see if there was ever a time when Blastoise's design kept those instead of losing them.

Toxi

Banned

The green parts are gaps in the armor that also act as "shadows under the eyes", making Ferrothorn look grumpy and tired. The "black triangles" resemble a fanged mouth, indicating the spiky obstacle is not particularly friendly. The body is shaped like any number of spiky plants such as the horse chestnut or the duran fruit with an emphasis on width and stability. The obvious theme of the immovable plant covered in steel armor and sharp thorns is "I am going to sit here doing what I like and if you tread on me so help me you will regret it."

The eyes themselves are heavy-lidded and bloodshot orange/yellow. They're not supposed to be cute, they're not supposed to be cool, they're not even supposed to look flat-out angry; they're supposed to look impassive at best and begrudging and sick of your shit at worst. No sparkles and rainbows, just a bunch of thorns if you want to seriously try it.

Now tell me your favorite Pokemon so I can eviscerate it. :)

Grizzo

I actually really like the "Dream World" Global Link artwork they use for the online websites, everything's really bright and cartoony, and the Pokemon all look really vivid.

bKMQ8zn.jpg

It's a bit more childish looking, sure, but I think it's cute.

It looks great and lively! Except for Pikachu, who looks like Pichu. Other than that, I really dig that art style!

The green parts are gaps in the armor that also act as "shadows under the eyes", making Ferrothorn look grumpy and tired. The "black triangles" resemble a fanged mouth, indicating the spiky obstacle is not particularly friendly. The body is shaped like any number of spiky plants such as the horse chestnut or the duran fruit with an emphasis on width and stability. The obvious theme of the immovable plant covered in steel armor and sharp thorns is "I am going to sit here doing what I like and if you tread on me so help me you will regret it."

The eyes themselves are heavy-lidded and bloodshot orange/yellow. They're not supposed to be cute, they're not supposed to be cool, they're not even supposed to look flat-out angry; they're supposed to look impassive at best and begrudging and sick of your shit at worst. No sparkles and rainbows, just a bunch of thorns if you want to seriously try it.

Now tell me your favorite Pokemon so I can eviscerate it. :)

daBn7Bp.png

Look, I really like your description. What you're describing sounds really cool.

But the way it's drawn.. the style of the drawing. The actual critter looks bad. If the green is supposed to be the exposed interior, or a depression in the armor, it's simply not indicated by a solid line. Put some depth in the armor.

If the triangles are supposed to resemble teeth, I say, make them teeth.. Make them fangs that stick out slightly from the body, so it's not just a round spiky thing with it's eyes and mouths pasted on.

I don't want rainbows and cuteness. I just want some texture.. something the looks like it could in some way be a real thing.. That's my beef with most of the modern lineups. They're extremely flat and dull, and half of their features look like flat stickers on a form.

Looking back at generation one, more of them suffer slightly from my complaints about the modern bunch, but in a simpler way... Like the weird markings on lickitungs body...

But anyway, here are a couple pokemon I like:

250px-133Eevee.png

It's attractive, it's simple, it has texture, and no weird circles and triangles or flat lines anywhere.. Great pokemon, the evolutions are pretty decent looking too.

098Krabby.png

Look at this guy!.. He's a crab. He has a hard looking exoskeleton! Simple, yet effective. He also has a look on his face that says 'I'm a little crazy'

The circular areas below him risk looking flat, but have form, as indicated by the broken line on the left one. It's the shape of his hard body. It's not just some lines and circles for no reason. Not brilliant, but a good creature design.

geodude.jpg

Yes, seriously. It's simple.. It's beautiful. It's a hunk of rock that's alive! It's also cute and has stony biceps! No lines, weird flat geometry, just a chiseled form with eyes that have soul. (His evolution makes no sense to his third form though.. No sense at all. Let's not talk about that.)

Honestly thought I would find more I liked here, but having trouble.

Riposte

Yeah, at least I do; can't help it. When I was young, I was really enamored with the "future as expected by the late 80s/early 90s/Japan's economic height" take on technology (computer-ass computers included) mixed with Japanese school boy backwater town nostalgia. This feeling was best represented by the early arcs of Pokemon Special/Adventure manga (also the image put in the back of the manual of the three rivals (including a girl) is my favorite Pokemon image).

Linkhero1

Hey guys, just a reminder.

This is what Pokemon actually looked like back then.
machop-color.png

Spr_1b_009.png

076.png

Still not FireRed.

Here's Firered Charizard.
006.png

Machop always looked weird to me, but yeah, the sprites in RB weren't all that great imo. I think Gen 2 was decent. The art at the time was fantastic and is still my favorite from all Gens that followed.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
The biggest problem with the Squirtle line is its the only Generation 1 Starter that doesn't have a clear and logical evolutionary path.

I mean, Wartortle gains the ears and tail, but then turns around and loses them in exchange for cannons. It's just really awkward and odd. It'd be interesting to see if there was ever a time when Blastoise's design kept those instead of losing them.
Animals lose features all the time in evolution.

daBn7Bp.png

Look, I really like your description. What you're describing sounds really cool.

But the way it's drawn.. the style of the drawing. The actual critter looks bad. If the green is supposed to be the exposed interior, or a depression in the armor, it's simply not indicated by a solid line. Put some depth in the armor.

If the triangles are supposed to resemble teeth, I say, make them teeth.. Make them fangs that stick out slightly from the body, so it's not just a round spiky thing with it's eyes and mouths pasted on.

I don't want rainbows and cuteness. I just want some texture.. something the looks like it could in some way be a real thing.. That's my beef with most of the modern lineups. They're extremely flat and dull, and half of their features look like flat stickers on a form.

Looking back at generation one, more of them suffer slightly from my complaints about the modern bunch, but in a simpler way... Like the weird markings on lickitungs body...

But anyway, here are a couple pokemon I like:

250px-133Eevee.png

It's attractive, it's simple, it has texture, and no weird circles and triangles or flat lines anywhere.. Great pokemon, the evolutions are pretty decent looking too.

098Krabby.png

Look at this guy!.. He's a crab. He has a hard looking exoskeleton! Simple, yet effective. He also has a look on his face that says 'I'm a little crazy'

The circular areas below him risk looking flat, but have form, as indicated by the broken line on the left one. It's the shape of his hard body. It's not just some lines and circles for no reason. Not brilliant, but a good creature design.

geodude.jpg

Yes, seriously. It's simple.. It's beautiful. It's a hunk of rock that's alive! It's also cute and has stony biceps! No lines, weird flat geometry, just a chiseled form with eyes that have soul. (His evolution makes no sense to his third form though.. No sense at all. Let's not talk about that.)

Honestly thought I would find more I liked here, but having trouble.

That's updated artwork btw, the style of which falls more in line with the anime and Gen III pokemon.

Ferrothorn probably sticks because, conceptually, its body shape uses very rigid geometry. Its design is still very much in the spirit of Pokemon though.

250px-545Scolipede.png

In no way rainbows or cuteness. Like the real world animals the pattern is used to indicate danger, just as the thorns and the "fangs" on Ferrothorn tell others "do not touch." The body has dimension as indicated by the shading. The flatness of the feet and horns relfect the geometry of an insect's body structure. I'd say it's quite beautiful. Great pokemon.

Top Bottom