• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apache: Air Assault |OT| FLIR, AWS and Getting To Da Choppa

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Thanks for posting that review dubbed... I'm reposting, this time with paragraphs!

Hey guys, Im not new to these forums. I had a different screen name but forgot it (it's been a while). I felt obligated to write a review. Many sites have not reviewed this game and ones that have are some half-assed reviews, such as IGN.com 's review. So I wrote my own and am posting it on as many websites and forums as I can. This game isn't getting the spotlight it deserves. Its long, but I went in depth...and yes I am a real Apache pilot for the US Army. Here we go:

It’s a shame that Apache: Air Assault will fly under most people’s radar (no pun intended) this holiday season with all the other blockbuster games coming out. Especially since it’s release is in the shadow of Call of Duty and with upcoming releases such as Gran Turismo 5, this game is bound to be ignored and in bargain bins after the holiday season. It really is a shame because the game is a true gem.

I fly AH-64D Apache Longbows for the US ARMY. As an aviation nut and pilot, I cringe at most console flight games. I like my flight games with a degree of reality, not the unrealistic arcade games like Top Gun and After Burner. The only console flight games I enjoy are the Ace Combat series…that was until Gaijin Entertainment developed Il-2 Birds of Prey for consoles. Birds of Prey is what I envisioned a perfect console flight game should be. It blended realism with arcade type elements which made it user friendly and playable for console gamers. But, when I heard Gaijin was making an Apache game for consoles I was still skeptical. Helicopters are a lot harder to fly than airplanes. It takes both hands and feet to fly a helicopter and when you throw in radios, weapons, systems, etc., it takes all your fingers and concentration as well. I just didn’t see that translating well to a console game. I’m happy to say, not only did Gaijin do a great job mimicking helicopter flight using a console controller, they made one hell of an authentic Apache game.

The game starts you off with a tutorial mission, in which you must start out using the training difficulty mode. There are three types of difficulty modes: Training, realistic, and veteran. Training mode simplifies everything from controlling the aircraft to the HUD. The controls are as follows: The right stick is your “collective” which in a helicopter is the control that moves a helicopter up and down vertically. You can hover up by pushing your right analog stick up, and hover down pushing down on the right stick. The right analog stick acts as your pedals also. So left or right on the stick will have you spinning to the left or right horizontally, similar to an airplanes yaw. The left stick is the “cyclic” control. In a helicopter, the cyclic is your directional control such as climbing and diving, or banking left or right. It takes coordination of all the controls to properly fly a helicopter. In the training mode, it is fairly easy: Take off with the collective and fly around with the cyclic stick. It is the realistic and veteran modes that requires a lot more coordination and has a steeper learning curve. To speed up in a helicopter, you need to push the cyclic forward, but if you don’t add collective you will start diving and lose altitude. Realistic and veteran applies all these mechanics into the controls. The real treat in playing in these modes though, is the HUD. The HUD in realistic/veteran is almost identical in what us real Apache pilots see in our monocle, (Look up pictures of apache pilots if you don’t know what I am talking about.) from the radar altimeter on the right, to the velocity vector in the center, and the torque meter in the upper left corner, it is very similar to how we look at things in the aircraft. Realistic and Veteran are the same control wise, but Veteran, you get one attempt per mission and once you use all your weapons, you have to land at a predetermined pad to get reloaded. Realistic, you get 4 attempts and reload of weapons happen after a set time in the air.

Now onto the gameplay. there are two main modes of play. The single player campaign and squad operations. Single player is what I expected a single-player campaign to be. The Campaign takes place across three locations: Africa, Asia and Central America. The missions are varied enough, but mostly have you attacking ground targets. There is some air to air combat with other helicopters in the game, but in real life, you will never see an Apache with stinger missiles on the end of its stubby wings. There is just no need to use them in the real world, but sure makes for some good helicopter dog fights in the game. You can switch camera views from 3rd person behind the helicopter view, the pilots seat, co-pilot/gunner (CPG) seat, or just a plain HUD view with no cockpit. The cockpit views are authentic and modeled like the real life thing, which as a real Apache pilot, I was happy such care was taken into getting the details right.

Speaking of authenticity, the game is impressively accurate when it comes to the Apache. The in- game model is accurately recreated down to the side steps and panels on the exterior of the Apache to the button placement and screens on the interior cockpits. Even the weapon systems are portrayed accurately. One of my favorite things to do is press L3 which enable auto hover. The aircraft will hold the same position and altitude you engage it at, something that you can do in the real aircraft as well. While you are in auto hover, you can control the TADS (Target Acquisition and Designation Sight) in DVO (black and white day TV) or FLIR (Forward looking Infra Red) to pick out vehicles and human targets easier to pick off with the 30mm cannon. There is mission where you have to do just this and cover your down wingmen before they are over run. Just don’t hover too long or you will get picked off with a SAM or RPG. The TADS image is created accurately as well. Go on you tube and look up gun tape footage from real Apaches and you can see the developers created the TADS HUD accurately as well. And just FYI, contrary to what people think, the camera is not part of the gun. It is the bottom turret on the nose of the aircraft. That’s what the CPG uses to target and designate, as well as using the FLIR image to fly at night.
Have a friend over and don’t want to take turns playing single player? Hook up another controller and play the single player campaign together, one as the pilot, the other as the CPG, which adds a whole level of fun. Just like the real life aircraft, the two crew members have to work together. The pilot has to hold a stable platform for more accurate weapons while the CPG controls the weapons systems, for example rockets. Coop rockets require the pilot to line up the reticle while the CPG shoots the rockets. (It’s opposite in the real thing, the CPG uses the TADS to line up the shot while the pilot shoots the rockets, teamwork is required either way.)

Squad-Operations is another Co-op mode where you and a friend can crew the same apache or you and three others can complete a whole set of missions (that are different than the single player missions) online. The missions can be done solo and are similar to the single player missions, but are harder to try solo due to the fact there are mission objectives that are coop dependent and accomplished much easier with a buddy.

Graphically, the game doesn’t impress that much. They claim to use satellite imagery to create the scenery with, but the colors seem washed out. It isn’t ugly by any means, just doesn’t impress. Like I said before, the vehicle models are done well and are accurate to their real life counterparts. Everything that are in the “levels” is interactive. Buildings can be destroyed, whether by shooting them or crashing into them, you can chop down trees using the 30mm cannon. I enjoyed crashing into some trees and watching my helicopter leaving a path of destruction among the trees. The explosion effects look good as well. You will take damage as well that both affect performance and the exterior of the aircraft. Overall, I thought IL-2 had a better graphical package.

Sound is accurately portrayed. From the sound of the helicopter to the weapons. The voice acting is well done and most of it is radio chatter during the missions. The musical score is great as well. Not sure who composed it, but it fits the game well, from the menus to the in-game music. Nothing to really complain about sound-wise.

Now, if I had to change or add anything to the game, it would be the inclusion of night missions. We fly using a FLIR system at night, not night vision goggles. Again, look at the nose of the aircraft and the top turret is the pilot’s night vision sensor. That turret is slaved to the pilots head, so when he turns his head left, the turret turns left while he looks at his FLIR image through his/her monocle. The pilot flies at night as if his eyeball was on the nose of the aircraft, and it is extremely hard to get used to. I just wished the developers had a couple missions at night where they could have implemented the pilots night vision somehow. I guess there is room for that in a future game….

BOTTOM LINE:

….But we may not see a sequel, I just have a feeling this game isn’t going to sell well. The genre isn’t that popular to begin with and with all these popular games coming out, this one will get over looked. It is a damn shame. It is a great game, and if you are a fan of the genre or an aviation/helicopter enthusiast, this is defiantly a no-brainer. Like IL-2, this game blends arcade and sim elements for a perfect console flight game and remains faithful to its source material: flying a real Apache. I highly recommend it.

Hope this review helps.

UFRA

Pretty cool to see a review from a real pilot!

Also, although the game deserves a better score, I'm glad to see that IGN at least gave it a 7.5.

Just ordered this game for 42 bucks new. Loved the demo. I have IL2 for 360 and although I appreciate the realism in the game, I got bored with the WW2 setting. I like more modern sims so this one should tickle my fancy more. :) I really miss flight sim games and occasionally Ill fire up Janes F/A-18 and USAF. Nice to see Gaijin still making these sims in the current generation.

But nobody has answered the most important question:

Is this game almost as awesome as constructing and piloting the Apache in the game Army Men: Air Attack?

UFRA

Pylon_Trooper said:
Guys, just wanted to say it's awesome you fellows jumped aboard ol' Apache. Having a great time with it still.

Amazing stuff!

Glad you're liking it. You should add me on PSN, my ID is in my profile. I'm playing GT5 right now non-stop, but once I settle down with that I'd be interested in doing some co-op missions.

UFRA said:
Glad you're liking it. You should add me on PSN, my ID is in my profile. I'm playing GT5 right now non-stop, but once I settle down with that I'd be interested in doing some co-op missions.

Added, sir. Looking forward to it. Keep it handy, because I'll have a bit of time in the new year.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
How the hell are people passing that "defend the evacuation of the oil rig" mission? I can take care of like 3 waves of the speedboats, but then 3 full waves come from every direction and kill the 4 rescue ships almost instantaneously. I must have tried this damn thing 10 times in a row, always dying on the 4th wave of speedboats.

Using all my hellfires and FFARs. (This is playing of Realistic).

UFRA

FlyinJ said:
How the hell are people passing that "defend the evacuation of the oil rig" mission? I can take care of like 3 waves of the speedboats, but then 3 full waves come from every direction and kill the 4 rescue ships almost instantaneously. I must have tried this damn thing 10 times in a row, always dying on the 4th wave of speedboats.

Try to stay as close to the friendly rescue ships as possible. Don't venture out to attack the enemy (which was one of my mistakes early on).

If you spend time going out far away to meet the enemy before they arrive, there's a good chance another wave will sneak in behind you and already be there in the face of your rescue guys. The more you can stay near them the better, since that allows you to keep the enemy off of them as they get closer.

It's also just a lot of trial and error on that one.

tiddles

FlyinJ said:

Just beat that mission yesterday (on Realistic), after god knows how many attempts... I found it a huge difficulty spike that nearly killed my enthusiasm for the game (although of course it's a massive rush when you finally beat it!). It should really have been caught in playtesting and toned down, I imagine quite a few people will give up at that point...

My tips for the mission? It seems you just have to get really quick at destroying the boats... I was using cockpit view initially, but only started to make progress when I switched to virtual cockpit view (which gave the best view of the targets). There's about 2 or 3 waves that come from particular directions, then a huge final wave that appears to come from lots of different directions at once - save your Hellfires for these.

For each wave, you need to be destroying at least 70-80% of the boats in the first pass, then turning around and destroying the rest as you head back to the rigs. The damage on the rescue ships is cumulative it seems, so you need to have them take as little damage as possible on the early waves in order to survive the final onslaught.

The first time I successfully defended them, I went onto the second part of the mission which is pretty easy in comparison, except that the last Hydra I fired also destroyed the friendly ship boarding the hijacked vessel - Mission Fail. That was a rage moment, as you can imagine... Luckily I was able to repeat the first part again immediately after, and finish the mission.

tiddles

LALILULELO said:
Back in the days I used to play Microprose Gunship and I loved that.
So I guess I should pick this up?

You should - it's a great game (although very tough in parts), and you'll get a big Gunship vibe off it!

I had a lot of trouble with that oil rig mission too. Like tiddles said it's just a case of wiping out most of a wave in a single pass. You don't get enough hellfires to rely on them so just get good at nailing them with hydras. There's no real trick to it other than getting quicker at wiping them out. On the plus side once you beat it you'll be crazy good at rocket strafing. Not sure I agree about staying close to the rescue ships at all times, that didn't ever work out for me. When I finally beat it I just went after them as soon as I spotted them.

UFRA

Air Zombie Meat said:
I had a lot of trouble with that oil rig mission too. Like tiddles said it's just a case of wiping out most of a wave in a single pass. You don't get enough hellfires to rely on them so just get good at nailing them with hydras. There's no real trick to it other than getting quicker at wiping them out. On the plus side once you beat it you'll be crazy good at rocket strafing. Not sure I agree about staying close to the rescue ships at all times, that didn't ever work out for me. When I finally beat it I just went after them as soon as I spotted them.

*shrugs*

Everyone has different strategies. The bolded part is what caused me to lose all the time originally. I would spend so much time venturing out to seek out and kill the enemies before they got close, but by the time I got back to the rescue ships there was another group of pirates already face-to-face with them tearing them up.

When I changed my strategy and stayed in the general area of the oil rigs/rescue boats and just did a circling pattern around that area, it worked great.

Heh, sorry if it seems I was trying to be an ass, if it worked for you then it worked. It's just that I was trying exactly that and I'd find that I'd spend too much time waiting for them and by the time one group were in range another group would be round the back shooting the crap out of the boats. Maybe I was sticking too close to them? Circling the area does sound better.

I think we can all agree it's a pretty dumb and needless difficulty spike in the game though.

UFRA

Air Zombie Meat said:
Heh, sorry if it seems I was trying to be an ass, if it worked for you then it worked. It's just that I was trying exactly that and I'd find that I'd spend too much time waiting for them and by the time one group were in range another group would be round the back shooting the crap out of the boats. Maybe I was sticking too close to them? Circling the area does sound better.

I think we can all agree it's a pretty dumb and needless difficulty spike in the game though.

Yeah, my original description was probably too vague lol. I definitely didn't mean that you should hover right by the rescue boats. I just meant that it's not a good idea to venture out too far away from them when you're attacking. Mainly since the pirates come from all directions, when you dedicate yourself to one wave, that means all other directions have no contesting force to stop them from sneaking in. I just stayed within the area of the boats and oil rigs, without ever dedicating my attack too much to one wave. This way I kinda did little attacks consistantly among all waves as they came in.

I agree that the spike did come too quick on that particular mission. It was strange because the mission right after that is not nearly as hard. The spike in difficulty was like a rollercoaster, since things were going smoothly and getting harder naturally. Then suddenly this bastard mission comes along, and then you go right back to a natrual progression of difficulty after that lol.

UFRA said:
Yeah, my original description was probably too vague lol. I definitely didn't mean that you should hover right by the rescue boats. I just meant that it's not a good idea to venture out too far away from them when you're attacking. Mainly since the pirates come from all directions, when you dedicate yourself to one wave, that means all other directions have no contesting force to stop them from sneaking in. I just stayed within the area of the boats and oil rigs, without ever dedicating my attack too much to one wave. This way I kinda did little attacks consistantly among all waves as they came in.

I agree that the spike did come too quick on that particular mission. It was strange because the mission right after that is not nearly as hard. The spike in difficulty was like a rollercoaster, since things were going smoothly and getting harder naturally. Then suddenly this bastard mission comes along, and then you go right back to a natrual progression of difficulty after that lol.

Yeah, I've only got the last couple of missions to go and nothing in the game has been that tough. It's just strange when the rest of it is fairly easy in comparison. I think the mission would be more reasonable if your co-pilot ai was better or you were playing in co-op. It rarely fires on the speedboats and seems to have troubles targeting them. It's like it's always trying to target ones off to the side that you've passed rather than the ones you've got lined up perfectly in front. Kind of frustrating as the 30mm should be perfect for targets like that.

I'm taking it very slow with the campaign, but you guys are really talking up this rig mission! Looking forward to it.

I end up doing missions a few times if I don't feel my actions have been all that good - more to do with training up. Damn it felt good to practice a lot of manoeuvres on the first Jungle mission against the Hinds that crop up at the end. Got my Peppy's Request whilst inadvertedly dodging a thundering Hind making a pass too close for comfort.

Goddamn, after messing about in the free flight mode and, funnily enough, watching a lot of replays and snagging photos, it's right up there for my top three games of 2010.

UFRA

Pylon_Trooper said:
I'm taking it very slow with the campaign, but you guys are really talking up this rig mission! Looking forward to it.

I end up doing missions a few times if I don't feel my actions have been all that good - more to do with training up. Damn it felt good to practice a lot of manoeuvres on the first Jungle mission against the Hinds that crop up at the end. Got my Peppy's Request whilst inadvertedly dodging a thundering Hind making a pass too close for comfort.

Goddamn, after messing about in the free flight mode and, funnily enough, watching a lot of replays and snagging photos, it's right up there for my top three games of 2010.

My first time on that Jungle mission I accidentally crashed into the Hind in mid-air because I was too excited to try and launch rockets at it. :lol

Ok, air-to-air in this game is a real pain in the ass. The AA missiles are pretty useless, is there any tips to taking out enemy air faster?

Also I got an achievement "Peppys Request" and lolled when I read the description.

Lionheart1827 said:
Ok, air-to-air in this game is a real pain in the ass. The AA missiles are pretty useless, is there any tips to taking out enemy air faster?

Also I got an achievement "Peppys Request" and lolled when I read the description.

For air-to-air battles, make sure you're at a higher elevation than your target. Makes it incredibly hard to deploy flares when the AA missiles are coming from above. At least, that's how I've been managing.

Lionheart1827 said:

.25 km is the sweet spot for stingers. Otherwise try to line up the cannon on up on the hinds at close range, best way.

UFRA

Lionheart1827 said:

One of the in-game tips says that you need to be at "close range" to use ATA missiles. I've found this to be true since at long range it gives the enemy plenty of time to deploy flares. If you fire at close range, then you're pretty much guaranteed a hit.

This game is awesome. I never really got into traditional flight sims, but I'm a huge helicopter nerrrrd so this is right up my alley. My only criticism is that I wish there was just more of the game to play. More helios, more missions, etc.

Has anyone tried the flight stick that's compatible with this game? I think it's called the "F.L.Y. 9" or something like that. I would be interested to hear how it is.

Finaika

Yeah this game is just awesome. I'm also not really a fan of flight sims, but I just love the Apache's design. Oh and the music in this game is surprisingly good :D

Top Bottom