• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPad Media Event |OT| 'We Still Have a Lot to Cover'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did they state why they didn't include the finger-print sensor on the new iPads? It it supposed to be just a iPhone feature?

And I looked at Best Buy, Amazon and Apple and the buy back price of the NEW iPad 32GB is laughable, less than half of what I paid for it.

VPhys

Only a good option if you're looking for the cheapest retina Macbook possible.

The $1499 version is a much better buy with 256GB SSD and 8GB RAM. Or, add 4GB of ram to the base model and pay $1399, still not bad. Poor people that get the base model in stores and are stuck with 4GB forever.

Also agree with this. The base model 13" completely sucks.

I actually considered downsizing from my 15" rmbp to the new 13" with 8gb/256. But, ultimately I think I will miss the screen size of the 15" too much, as it is a desktop replacement notebook for me. The portability and battery life of the 13" has me intrigued though. Ultimately I think I'll have to do with my nexus 7 and perhaps a 11" baytrail Notebook.

Are the updated macbook pros suppose to be in store today?

Just called my store to see when they were anticipating getting them in and they told me that they didn't know. I ordered one online and will receive middle of next week. I need it before going out of town next weekend, so I couldn't take the chance that the Apple Store wouldn't have them by this weekend and I might not get a chance to drop by and pick one up.

That said, if I were betting, I'd say they'll be in stores tomorrow or Friday at the latest.

Red Comet

Disappointed the new iPad mini doesn't have Touch ID and isn't a little cheaper. I want that retina display but I think I'll manage with my current mini for another year and then upgrade to whatever comes out next fall.

Now I'm disappointed. This morning when I placed my order online there were no rMBP in my local store and they didn't know when they would get them. At the time, I thought I'd just cancel the online order if they got them in the store and go pick one up there. This afternoon they are now in the store and I'd like to go get one, but I can't cancel my order. I even called Apple directly and they can't cancel it out, only create a return. I don't want to hassle with a return, so I'll be patient and wait. I need the laptop for next weekend, and this won't give me a lot of time to get it ready before I leave town.

I should also note that I've done the order online, then cancel and go pick-up in store option in the past and it worked fine. *grumble*

Pagusas

Elden Member
I plan to get this exact configuration for video editing. Could you tell me how it handles things? Thanks.

If its for video editing I highly suggest getting the 15 with the 650m, being able to use the GPU for the mercury playback engine in premiere is worth it. Even a lowly 650m (750m in the new ones) makes a substantial difference.

I plan to get this exact configuration for video editing. Could you tell me how it handles things? Thanks.

Really disappointing, only about 10% faster than my 2013 base model 13" Macbook air.

I was hoping it could replace the windows laptop I used for editing, sadly I will have to stick with what I got or go with the 15". Really not interested in that, the 15" rMBP I had was always running super slow and hot.

And in that case to get dedicated graphics, like my y410p we are talking $2600+

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Yikes. Maybe I'll be getting a 27" iMac afterall...Or a refurbished 15". $2600 is out of my budget for a dGPU.

What's the major difference between the Late 2012 MBPr 15" and Early 2013 Refresh MBPr 15"?

Ashhong

Now I'm disappointed. This morning when I placed my order online there were no rMBP in my local store and they didn't know when they would get them. At the time, I thought I'd just cancel the online order if they got them in the store and go pick one up there. This afternoon they are now in the store and I'd like to go get one, but I can't cancel my order. I even called Apple directly and they can't cancel it out, only create a return. I don't want to hassle with a return, so I'll be patient and wait. I need the laptop for next weekend, and this won't give me a lot of time to get it ready before I leave town.

I should also note that I've done the order online, then cancel and go pick-up in store option in the past and it worked fine. *grumble*

Did you customize it at all? Why not just buy it in store, then return the one you bought online in store later at your convenience? Unless you live far away from the Store, it doesn't seem like that bad of a hassle. Give you a week of play time with it too.

VPhys

Did you customize it at all? Why not just buy it in store, then return the one you bought online in store later at your convenience? Unless you live far away from the Store, it doesn't seem like that bad of a hassle. Give you a week of play time with it too.

Don't most stores scan the serial numbers now to prevent this.

Really disappointing, only about 10% faster than my 2013 base model 13" Macbook air.

I was hoping it could replace the windows laptop I used for editing, sadly I will have to stick with what I got or go with the 15". Really not interested in that, the 15" rMBP I had was always running super slow and hot.

And in that case to get dedicated graphics, like my y410p we are talking $2600+
Not to be a jerk, but you brought this upon yourself by not doing your research beforehand.

Video editing is a highly parallelized task, and needs as many high frequency cores as you can throw at it. Preferably 4 physical cores and 4 additional logical hyperthreaded cores. Additionally, while CPU power has stalled in the last couple of years, the biggest gains have come from offloading work to the GPU using technologies like CUDA and now OpenCL. Adobe specs a MINIMUM of 1GB of video RAM to make use of the Mercury Playback Engine (their name for their 64-bit, multi-threaded, GPU-accelerated video decoder/encoder), and you'll want more for resolutions higher than 1080p.

The reason why you didn't see any improvement over your MacBook Air is because the only thing you really improved was CPU frequency. The Mercury Playback Engine doesn't support integrated Intel Graphics yet (maybe someday, with a larger L4 Cache and DDR4), and you've still got your tiny little dual-core processor as your MacBook Air.

If you're looking for a MacBook for video editing, you basically have two options.

1. Last year's 15" Retina MBP with the 650M for $1600, refurbished
2. This year's 15" Retina MBP for $2400.

Or, of course, don't cut video on a laptop.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm just looking at the high end rPro for my games. I want to get as much power as I can. I mean my HD4000 works fine for most right now, even in Parallels, but how much better would the Iris Pro be and how much better over that would the discrete GPU be over the Iris Pro and would it be enough that it's required?

I mean I could list the games I have that are Windows only but whatever.

Really wish they hadn't moved the dGPU to the high end only. But if the dGPU isn't that much better and the Iris Pro is good enough, I'd get a lower end. And if the normal Iris was even more gooder enough, I'd be able to stick with a 13"... though I do want a quad-core. So I guess I'm going 15" either way. Just wish I could save like $600 by not having to get the highest end.

Oh, but Abed, why not just get a gaming PC?

no u!
Because reasons.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I didn't have a chance to post here, but i do have some thoughts on the iPad stuff.

The iPad 2 is still alive, while I love my iPad 2 and understand the bigger margins for Apple, why not upgrade it and have it be the main non-retina display iPad? The 512 MB of ram is anemic, and they should at least put an A6 inside instead of the A5 that's now 3 years old. The $400 iPad mini with retina is Apple trying to increase its margins since they realized that the iPad mini is as much a iPad replacement as the Air. It also makes sense since the CPU and GPU jumped forward three generations. The previous mini was basically an iPad 2, the new mini is basically an iPad Air (or the 5).

I didn't have a chance to post here, but i do have some thoughts on the iPad stuff.

The iPad 2 is still alive, while I love my iPad 2 and understand the bigger margins for Apple, why not upgrade it and have it be the main non-retina display iPad? The 512 MB of ram is anemic, and they should at least put an A6 inside instead of the A5 that's now 3 years old. The $400 iPad mini with retina is Apple trying to increase its margins since they realized that the iPad mini is as much a iPad replacement as the Air. It also makes sense since the CPU and GPU jumped forward three generations. The previous mini was basically an iPad 2, the new mini is basically an iPad Air (or the 5).

I'm convinced that they didn't upgrade it (or keep the iPad 3 or 4) because they wanted to kill the X line of SOCs (A5X and A6X). Those were frankenstein SOC's created to support retina before they could create the smaller more power efficient A7 that could drive retina displays easily. The X's had large die's, were more power hungry and got hotter under load. iPad 3 and 4 were stop gaps, the iPad Air is the real step up for the line.

That said, they could have upgraded the iPad 2 and iPad mini to A6, but they probably thought it wasn't worth the trouble as A5 can power the standard displays just fine.

Hcoregamer00

I'm convinced that they didn't upgrade it (or keep the iPad 3 or 4) because they wanted to kill the X line of SOCs (A5X and A6X). Those were frankenstein SOC's created to support retina before they could create the smaller more power efficient A7 that could drive retina displays easily. The X's had large die's, were more power hungry and got hotter under load. iPad 3 and 4 were stop gaps, the iPad Air is the real step up for the line.

That said, they could have upgraded the iPad 2 and iPad mini to A6, but they probably thought it wasn't worth the trouble as A5 can power the standard displays just fine.

Yeah, the announcement of the A7 in the IPhone 5s, iPad Air, and iPad Mini 2 pretty much confirmed that the "x" line is dead. Maybe there will be differences in how they clock the CPU and GPU, system RAM speed and amount, but the base CPU and GPU is identical and it shows that the technology has moved far enough to support "retina" across the board with a basic chip.

The air is the first 64 bit chip, and I do believe that the air is the first in another huge jump for CPU and GPU power since the chips don't need to be modified much to give huge performance and power the high resolution displays.

Apath

The price hike on the mini was enough to convince me not to upgrade this year. I'll wait for next year to bite on a 3G/LTE model.

Yeah, the announcement of the A7 in the IPhone 5s, iPad Air, and iPad Mini 2 pretty much confirmed that the "x" line is dead. Maybe there will be differences in how they clock the CPU and GPU, system RAM speed and amount, but the base CPU and GPU is identical and it shows that the technology has moved far enough to support "retina" across the board with a basic chip.

The air is the first 64 bit chip, and I do believe that the air is the first in another huge jump for CPU and GPU power since the chips don't need to be modified much to give huge performance and power the high resolution displays.

I'm really interested in seeing the benchmarks of the Air, mini retina and iPhone 5s. I wonder if they're run at different clocks. Should be interesting when Anadtech gets their hands on these things.

Apple's always been stingy with ram which I sometimes hate. iPad's run really well on devices with lower ram, but for stuff like web browsing with lots of tabs, ram does make a huge difference. I'm expecting 1gb ram on the Air and retina mini. I'm secretly hoping for 2.

Hcoregamer00

I'm really interested in seeing the benchmarks of the Air, mini retina and iPhone 5s. I wonder if they're run at different clocks. Should be interesting when Anadtech gets their hands on these things.

Apple's always been stingy with ram which I sometimes hate. iPad's run really well on devices with lower ram, but for stuff like web browsing with lots of tabs, ram does make a huge difference. I'm expecting 1gb ram on the Air and retina mini. I'm secretly hoping for 2.

I am guessing that clocks are different, but RAM differences are probably least likely to happen.

Yeah, Apple is good with RAM.

My iPad 2 runs on 1 Ghz CPU and 512 MB's of RAM and it still runs 90% of iPad apps well (except Facebook and Safari with many tabs). My 3 year year old iPad 2 still runs stuff very well on 7.0.3. That's a testament to how well Apple's hardware is and how even for us non-yearly updaters who don't replace yearly..

knicks

KuGsj.gif
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004UL34VW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

64GB tablet for $157 can do whatever a 64GB iPad can do for $700. Inferior screen? Sure. Slower? Yes. But with that price difference, I am confused how you can be satisfied getting so raped by a company.

KuGsj.gif

32GB tablet for $155 can do whatever an iPad can do. Inferior screen? Sure. Slower? Yes. But with that price difference, I am confused how you can be satisfied getting so raped by a company.

Why does any piece of high quality equipment sell? Because some of us like a gorgeous screen and a fast, smooth interface and don't want to settle for the first cheap piece of shit to come along?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
KuGsj.gif

64GB tablet for $157 can do whatever a 64GB iPad can do for $700. Inferior screen? Sure. Slower? Yes. But with that price difference, I am confused how you can be satisfied getting so raped by a company.
Oh AWESOME! $157 for a tablet with no apps made by a company that's going to be gone in a few years running an OS they don't even support anymore!

I'll take two please.

Fusebox

Banned
CPU experts, I have an old i7 860 2.8ghz in my desktop at home, are any of the new i5 CPUs in the MacBook 13" faster than this?

I can't seem to find the exact model types of any of the new Macbook CPUs, do Apple keep them secret?

kennah

CPU experts, I have an old i7 860 2.8ghz in my desktop at home, are any of the new i5 CPUs in the MacBook 13" faster than this?

I can't seem to find the exact model types of any of the new Macbook CPUs, do Apple keep them secret?

They aren't secret. Also your i7 should still be faster, especially overclocked.

Here's the secret to googling cpu names - "ark <cpu type> <cpu speed> <turbo speed" so "ark i5 2.4 2.9" gives the i5-4528U as the baseline i5 in the MacBook Pro Retina 13".

http://ark.intel.com/products/75990/Intel-Core-i5-4258U-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-2_90-GHz

So all my worries about getting my new rMBP next week and having it ready for a trip on the weekend were unfounded. It shipped over night and will reportedly be here tomorrow. I'm not sure if the Apple rep I talked to bumped my shipping up a notch or I'm just getting lucky, but I definitely did not expect to have it in time for the weekend. Heck, I probably wouldn't have even been able to get to the Apple Store before Saturday.

iammeiam

KuGsj.gif

My mom actually has one of these; she wanted a small tablet with decent Flash playback for some online college courses she's taking and thanks to nobody on earth wanting a Playbook they're pretty damned cheap for a Flash-functional tablet. It's pretty good for that, but beyond... Eh. App support isn't that great, screen is inferior, build quality is ok, but it's obviously a different tier of product.

My mom actually has one of these; she wanted a small tablet with decent Flash playback for some online college courses she's taking and thanks to nobody on earth wanting a Playbook they're pretty damned cheap for a Flash-functional tablet. It's pretty good for that, but beyond... Eh. App support isn't that great, screen is inferior, build quality is ok, but it's obviously a different tier of product.

But... amateur hour was over and all that!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Weren't those the tablets GAF was going batshit over a few years ago when they were discontinued for $100?

Also, I just had to teach my dictionary that "batshit" is a word because it auto-corrected to "bats hit". So not used to Safari fixing my words yet. But I love it.

Enco

KuGsj.gif

:lol ok

I love paying $155 for pieces of shit too.

So many bullshit posts about how there are plenty of amazing STUNNING cheap as fuck tablets out there.

The iPad is easily the best tablet out there. If you can afford, nothing comes close. If you're on a very tight budget the N7 is ok but I would rather buy nothing over the N7. And yes, I tried one. Scrolling around a PDF was laughable. Chrome was pretty shitty too and the narrow screen + huge bezel is an awful combination.

If I buy some tech, I want it to work well and be enjoyable. I want quality build. I want a quality smooth OS. I want a huge range of apps. I want awesome dev support. I totally agree iPad prices aren't for everyone but dont come talking about how a piece of shit tablet can compete.

tipoo

Banned
so there would be a single 64 bit wide memory channel at 1333 Mhz where as the previous A6X had a 128 bit wide 1066 Mhz (roughly 1.6 times faster)...Unless the A7 in this uses a different bus width, it would be more bandwidth constrained, significantly more so.

mrkgoo

:lol ok

I love paying $155 for pieces of shit too.

So many bullshit posts about how there are plenty of amazing STUNNING cheap as fuck tablets out there.

The iPad is easily the best tablet out there. If you can afford, nothing comes close. If you're on a very tight budget the N7 is ok but I would rather buy nothing over the N7. And yes, I tried one. Scrolling around a PDF was laughable. Chrome was pretty shitty too and the narrow screen + huge bezel is an awful combination.

If I buy some tech, I want it to work well and be enjoyable. I want quality build. I want a quality smooth OS. I want a huge range of apps. I want awesome dev support. I totally agree iPad prices aren't for everyone but dont come talking about how a piece of shit tablet can compete.

One day people may learn it's not just about the specs.

Everything about iOS devices is simply delightful. Easy, fun to use. And to top it off I value the ecosystem a lot - all the iCloud and mac integration make for a pretty profound user experience for me.

so there would be a single 64 bit wide memory channel at 1333 Mhz where as the previous A6X had a 128 bit wide 1066 Mhz (roughly 1.6 times faster)...Unless the A7 in this uses a different bus width, it would be more bandwidth constrained, significantly more so.

A6X uses LPDDR2 and A7 uses LPDDR3 so there's moving from a double pumped bus to a quad pumped bus.

Appleman

One day people may learn it's not just about the specs.

Everything about iOS devices is simply delightful. Easy, fun to use. And to top it off I value the ecosystem a lot - all the iCloud and mac integration make for a pretty profound user experience for me.

Yep, if you go all in with Apple the experience across devices is nothing short of amazing. Download an app at work on my iPhone, iPad version is already on my iPad at home. There's dozens of examples of this kind of integration and I use all of them almost daily

mrkgoo

Like I said earlier in the thread during the conference. The iPad 2 is sold on places like QVC and HSN to clueless customers at premium prices with junk accessories.

Seriously look at this shit.

Apple iPad 2 16GB WiFi with Color Keyboard Case & Accessories $639

Apple iPad 2 16GB Wi-Fi Tablet with Deluxe iPadStarter Kit $639

This is why Apple is still making them. These aren't back stock like people were joking, they are still making them in the factories.

I have a feeling that the reason they are still around is because of the mini.

Since they're keeping the mini around, which is pretty much an ipad2, it just rounds out the lineup to have non-retina for both, as an actual incentive for retina purchase (model differentiator). In addition, to have similar models around that can encourage more app development for that tier - who would develop for mini old if it were the only model with non-retina?

Yep, if you go all in with Apple the experience across devices is nothing short of amazing. Download an app at work on my iPhone, iPad version is already on my iPad at home. There's dozens of examples of this kind of integration and I use all of them almost daily

But you can do this on Android too. In fact, Android does one better where all you need to do is log into the Play store from any browser in the world, and you can push the app to your device. No need to bring up any special software or a need to do it from your device. I can browse the web, see a recommendation, and simply click on it to push to your phone.

Pagusas

Elden Member
But you can do this on Android too. In fact, Android does one better where all you need to do is log into the Play store from any browser in the world, and you can push the app to your device. No need to bring up any special software or a need to do it from your device. I can browse the web, see a recommendation, and simply click on it to push to your phone.

I am suprised there isnt a cloud based itunes yet, seems like such a simple thing. Would work perfectly with the itunes radio/cloud music systems they have and would extend itunes support to every browsing capable platform in the world.

tipoo

Banned
A6X uses LPDDR2 and A7 uses LPDDR3 so there's moving from a double pumped bus to a quad pumped bus.

What? DDR3 is still dual pumped.
If what you said was true, chips using LPDDR3 would have way higher bandwidth than they actually claim. So no, it's not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom