• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPad Media Event |OT| 'We Still Have a Lot to Cover'

Status
Not open for further replies.
:lol ok

I love paying $155 for pieces of shit too.

So many bullshit posts about how there are plenty of amazing STUNNING cheap as fuck tablets out there.

The iPad is easily the best tablet out there. If you can afford, nothing comes close. If you're on a very tight budget the N7 is ok but I would rather buy nothing over the N7. And yes, tried one. Scrolling around a PDF was laughable. Chrome was pretty shitty too and the narrow screen + huge bezel is an awful combination.

If I buy some tech, I want it to work well and be enjoyable. I want quality build. I want a quality smooth OS. I want a huge range of apps. I want awesome dev support. I totally agree iPad prices aren't for everyone but dont come talking about how a piece of shit tablet can compete.
Sorry to hear that. Are you thinking of getting a retina mini or an Air at this point? (or neither)

While I think your first complaints could be fixed with the Play Store (quickoffice is garbage and Chrome isn't ready for the spotlight imo) ultimately if the aspect ratio doesn't work for you its a nonstarter. There is no single right tablet for everyone, regardless of what posters in this thread might think.

Its kind of funny though, iPhone users get a lot of flak if they feel that their 3.5 or 4 inch screen is the perfect size but when I'm using the N7 to read in bed I feel the same way. I can't imagine holding a 10 inch screen or a wider screen that would be more difficult to use with one hand.

Grifter

Ordered my 13" MacBook Pro when they announced on Tuesday, it shipped out yesterday from Shanghai, and is here today. I said GOT. Damn

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Eh, screw it! That Verge review did me in. #YOLO and all that :p

10469585633_fcd69b156b_c.jpg

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Fuck. Been hovering over the purchase button for a whole day now.... But I'll see how much I can ditch my 13" rMBP for, this is the machine I really wanted

I feel your pain!

What really sucks is the store right next to where I work actually had it in stock all day yesterday. I even went to the store and looked around to see if I could pull the trigger... and I just couldn't will myself.

But then I kept thinking about it. And yeah, the price bump sucks... "cheaper" my ass ;p But, really contemplating about it, I realize this is what I've always wanted. It's *finally* a seriously no-compromise laptop. Ridiculous screen. Ridiculous battery life. Amazing build quality. Lots of RAM. The fastest SSD you can get in a laptop. And 512GBs of it! It can game. It runs a brand new OS. I can throw Photoshop and Word and Steam and InDesign and whatever else I want on it, and it's not going to break a sweat. And all of it is in a super thin profile that weighs next to nothing.

The ONLY thing making me hesitate was the price.

But then that review hit from the Verge. I couldn't take it any more ;p

I'm looking at making a MacBook my main computer. Currently have a desktop PC but plan on making that a dedicated Big Picture machine and having the MacBook as my main 'actual doing stuff' computer. Having all my uni work in one portable place is way easier, plus I really like OS X <_<

Looking at last years 15-inch rMBPs which I have found used for about $1499 AU, versus the new 13-inch rMBPs with Iris for about $1700AU with education pricing. Tempted to go with last year's 15-inch, is there any reason I should avoid last year's model?

Shit, now you guys have me thinking of returning the $1999 15" for the top end.

The only thing I really want is the bigger ssd. I do a fair amount of video work with adobe premiere...

My 13" rMBP ($1499 model) is on the UPS truck for delivery. Super excited to finally get it today. Going to take some time to get it set up since I'm restoring from a Time Machine back-up, but I'm eager to start putting it through its paces. It's a significant upgrade from my 2010 MBA.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Glad I skipped gen 1 rMBP (bought a used late 2011 last summer after rMBP launch). Probably won't update this year but the line seems to be evolving nicely, so regardless of when I upgrade it will be a beast.

Something I would like to see on the 15inches (and the Mac Pro and imac for that matter) is dual 16x1 PCIe slots to make SSD expansion easier.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Embrace it! :)
I want to. So bad. But I have to wait at least 2 weeks. This is going to draaaaaaag.

I hope I can just walk into a store and get the model I want. I asked before, but will any stores be actually carrying the high end 15" in stock? I have no idea which models stores carry. You have 5 different models on the store, but which ones are kept in stock for easy selling?

Enco

Sorry to hear that. Are you thinking of getting a retina mini or an Air at this point? (or neither)

While I think your first complaints could be fixed with the Play Store (quickoffice is garbage and Chrome isn't ready for the spotlight imo) ultimately if the aspect ratio doesn't work for you its a nonstarter. There is no single right tablet for everyone, regardless of what posters in this thread might think.

Its kind of funny though, iPhone users get a lot of flak if they feel that their 3.5 or 4 inch screen is the perfect size but when I'm using the N7 to read in bed I feel the same way. I can't imagine holding a 10 inch screen or a wider screen that would be more difficult to use with one hand.
I was thinking retina mini at first but now leaning towards the Air.

I'm sure the Play Store has great alternatives but when the built in apps suck, I have second thoughts. I can see how some people like the size. That's one thing that is completely subjective.

Other than being on a budget, wanting a small screen size or really REALLY wanting Android, I see no point in buying anything other than an iPad.

It's a bit harder to compare Android and iOS on mobile but for tablets it's easily on the iOS side in my opinion.

And my local store just got restocked.

What would you guys do? I just picked up the $1999 model with 256GB storage and 8gb ram. I do a fair amount of video editing and will need to do a 4-6 DVD project in January. Basically I'm worried that 256gb is too little. The other option is a USB 3 hard drive but I figure for video production it makes more sense to have the 512gb. $600 more is just hard to swallow.

My 13" rMBP has arrived. So excited to get it set up later tonight. It is remarkable how thin and light it is. Considering it is replacing my 2010 MB Air, that is saying something.

Appleman

And my local store just got restocked.

What would you guys do? I just picked up the $1999 model with 256GB storage and 8gb ram. I do a fair amount of video editing and will need to do a 4-6 DVD project in January. Basically I'm worried that 256gb is too little. The other option is a USB 3 hard drive but I figure for video production it makes more sense to have the 512gb. $600 more is just hard to swallow.

I think just for the SSD boost it would only be +$300...

EDIT: Assuming you're okay to BTO online...

JonCha

I think £319 for the new Mini is a really good price, though the thinness of the Air kinda offsets the Mini's portability. But then there's the £80 difference ...

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
No, I just always fall for the new model. I think they finally hit the sweet spot with the design/battery/power. Exactly what I want.
I feel the same way. Mine is going to last at least 3 years. Hopefully more. Who knows what power we'll have by then? Maybe by then we'll have discrete GPU's in the 13" and 16GB RAM standard. (And possibly 256GB as the bottom line standard SSD amount so 512 won't be so costly.)

None of you guys miss the 17". MBP? I have the last model from 2011. Gonna install Mavericks on it tonight to see if it gets a boost in performance. Still performs like a champ for what i do (graphic design) but I will hold out as long as I can before I upgrade.

I feel the same way. Mine is going to last at least 3 years. Hopefully more. Who knows what power we'll have by then? Maybe by then we'll have discrete GPU's in the 13" and 16GB RAM standard. (And possibly 256GB as the bottom line standard SSD amount so 512 won't be so costly.)

Exactly, this is going to be the first Macbook I buy the apple care for to make sure I get 3 years.

VPhys

Exactly, this is going to be the first Macbook I buy the apple care for to make sure I get 3 years.

Buy it with a credit card that doubles you warranty. All of a sudden applecare doesn't look that appealing as it is only covering you for 1 extra year.

I think if anything the industry is going the opposite way. Integrated graphics are getting better and cheaper, apple is going to use them more and in more devices as time goes by, not less.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Buy it with a credit card that doubles you warranty. All of a sudden applecare doesn't look that appealing as it is only covering you for 1 extra year.
Two. Three total. You only get 1 out of the box.

I think if anything the industry is going the opposite way. Integrated graphics are getting better and cheaper, apple is going to use them more and in more devices as time goes by, not less.
And until that day, they will probably offer dGPU's on the highest end only.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Ok, good apple laptops last like 5 years.
Yeah. Actually, funny thing. The white MacBook was the first Mac I didn't buy AppleCare for in a while. So it ended up falling apart immediately as the warranty ended. (The very last day of warranty, I took it to a store to replace the top case. I had the opportunity to purchase AC right there but passed it up.) Since then, I always get AC for my laptops. (I never bought it for my 2010 Mac mini. I've had that for about 2.5 years now, granted, unlike a laptop, I don't wear it out by taking it everywhere but I do have it running all the time serving media and backups.)

Dany

Banned
Runnning into the fourth year with this 2010 mpb and its great. Minor things along the road but applecare too care of them.

Thinking of grabbing one to replace a 2008 MBP, I eagerly anticipate your impressions!

Preliminary impressions since I spent most of the night restoring from a Time Machine back-up and getting things adjusted for the new machine. So far, it's great. very fast and the screen is nice. It isn't as bright as my MacBook Air, but it is also far richer in color and clarity, as you would expect. Everything loads very fast and I haven't had a hiccup yet. I'll use it for some work tomorrow and may see how it does with some iMovie clips. My Air choked on anything in iMovie. I'm hoping I can at least do some minor, simple editing this time out.

I'm very happy with the machine so far. A big leap in speed over the Air. I also love screen sharing to my Apple TV. I had a video playing on the TV while I was doing work on the laptop screen and it not only looked great but didn't miss a beat in terms of hiccups or slowdowns. Really smooth technology. This is why I like being in the Apple Ecosystem.

I know there are some haters out there, but the top end 15" rMBP is a dream to use. There is no waiting for anything. I can edit video, encoded it, with itunes playing music, and Chrome open with 15 tabs and keynote running all at once. Literally 0 impact on performance and lag.

I guess that should be expected with 16GB ram and the SSD.

Dany

Banned
Why should I get the retina mini over the big ipad air? I really don't mind size/weight. Bigger screen seem like the better way to go :x

Both the air and retina mini are essentially the same across the board minus size/price...hmmm

Why should I get the retina mini over the big ipad air? I really don't mind size/weight. Bigger screen seem like the better way to go :x

Both the air and retina mini are essentially the same across the board minus size/price...hmmm

You shouldn't.

I think they hit the sweet spot with the iPad air. For an extra $100 it seems to be a better package. Just hope there is a new ipad Case/keyboard for it from logitech soon after launch. Would be a nice macbook air replacement.

Also the iPad minis are going to be in very short supply.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

Well, that's your decision. The two are basically the same now, the only difference being the screen size. You need to pick the one you can read comfortably and don't mind using. I personally can't go back to the large size. So my next iPad will be an iPad mini 3 (Retina) probably next fall. I used to have an iPad 2.

sikma42

Banned
Well, that's your decision. The two are basically the same now, the only difference being the screen size. You need to pick the one you can read comfortably and don't mind using. I personally can't go back to the large size. So my next iPad will be an iPad mini 3 (Retina) probably next fall. I used to have an iPad 2.

I agree. The bigger form factor is way to much for what I use it for. Mini is unmatched imo for commutes.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The 0.2Ghz difference in processors between the 256/512GB 13" MBPr's isn't actually going to make any real world difference is it?
Probably not. Otherwise reviewers would do benchmarks for every speed. It's probably negligible these days. Aim for the other specs first. Or get the i7 if you really want a difference.

Alchemy

I find it disturbing how easy it is for me to put together a shopping list that would cost me $4.5k (after tax!) on Apple's site to overhaul my home workstation...

• Thunderbolt Display
  • 15 rMBP
  • Superdrive + 2TB USB 3.0 HDD
  • Apple keyboard/Logitech Mouse (Apple mice are garbage)/Laptop Stand

I would love working with this set up, using the Thunderbolt Display basically as a dock so I don't have to deal with hooking up all the peripherals. The Macbook Pro is also an upgrade over my current desktop which is showing some age, and my MacBook Air which isn't terribly useful for mobile development outside of writing documents.

Have to hold strong, my savings won't enjoy that purchase as much as I would unboxing all of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom