• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are PlayStation Exclusives the Best Games in the Industry?

Are PlayStation Exclusives the best games on the market?

• Easily

Votes: 91 29.4%
  • They are just a bit better than the others

Votes: 25 8.1%
  • They are joint with Nintendo

Votes: 27 8.7%
  • They are joint with Rockstar

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Nintendo are slightly better

Votes: 33 10.6%
  • They are not the best

Votes: 130 41.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thelastword

Banned
Completely fresh and new experiences like VR, an innovation not other console manufacturer is working on. Oh yeah, cardboard VR with Labo, thats suuuper great and innovative.

Not to mention Dreams, Concrete Genie, Gravity Rush, Firewall or The Last Guardian, Tetris Effect, all of them excellent games aimed at niche audiences.

Your argument is as wrong as saying that Nintendo only makes Mario games. It's not surprising that I have not read a single argument against Sony being the slightest knowledable of Sony's production.

The funny thing is that Sony announces INNOVATIVE games in their State of Play and most people, even Sony's users, start trolling and whining on why Sony remains silent on their big three and the same games we have heard about for 3 years already. So, innovation is not wanted by the biggest audiences, even hardcore gamers. They want the same dope of the same stuff, over and over.
I think they know, they're just pretending they don't and they like to bracket all of Sony's games in the same category.......I wish to see some of these guys play GOW, Uncharted, TLOU, Gravity Rush, GTS, Detroit, Spiderman, Astrobot and the upcoming Tsushima, Days Gone and Death Stranding in the same way...All these games are the same experiences they say, which you can watch on youtube......Sometimes I wonder how I am able to watch Sigrun to death in GOW, is this how you beat her? It's funny too because I saw many people complaining that the first half of GOW was hard......I guess that's why they watch the videos or can't do the challenges or beat the valkyries.......These games are certainly not cookie cutter bland environments like you see in Crackdown 3, with no A.I and sparse environments, but I guess playing online makes games better, even though all these online juggernauts (Crackdown, SOD, SOT), no one is talking about them 2 weeks after release.....People thought since RDR2 came so late inthe year GOW had no chance, I'm hearing arguments that people forget about Sony exclusives, I guess the lie detector proved.."that was a lie"........

so whats the point of this comments?

You rather people running circle 24/7 playing garbage online only game like Batlefront, Sea of Thieves, Destiny, Anthem etc?
Yet all the best games where you do that are on Sony's consoles with the biggest online audience...At the same time Sony has the best SP games by far....So they win every whcih way to sunday....Yet niche games and variety is where Sony shines most.....They bag AAA SP games, they have the best MP games too and they have stuff like Dreams, Astrobot, Lost Soul Aside, Gravity Rush, Concrete Genie and the list goes on......Sony does not only win on Quantity, they win on quantity at high quality, that's pretty hard to beat...>So when Layden said he want's to push the quality envelope even further, people hated on him are still doing so, but he has a point there......Like Anything else, there's is no doubt that Sony will be in the running for GOTY 2019 as well, perhaps a sure win I'd say............

Starfield

I didn't play any of the PS exclusives but I wouldn't say that a game "exclusively" for only one platform is the best in the industry, no matter how good or technically advanced it is. I'd say games that look impressive on ALL available platforms are much better because they have to do so much more in order to be up there with the best.

When Xbone fans discuss about PS4 games in this thread, it's really a sight to behold ( deliberately ignoring VR games BECAUSE REASONS ).

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
They're basically hitting on all cylinders as far as 1st party game development management and management of 3rd party exclusive deals and remasters. (They're not all my cup of tea, but they have a wide variety of game types as well) Probably the only strike out this gen was Drawn to Death (which was a very small indie type title) and possible The Order 1886/Knack II (and that probably didn't do horrible).

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

There are no "best games in the industry" there are best games for each and one of us. Mine are so spread between publishers and devs, that I can't single out just one of them.

You know you have the best quality standards in the whole industry when you show a gameplay of a future game and there appears a huge crowd of losers screaming that those animations are fake or next gen. When even other developers sing that tune it means that you really are so much better that they feel insecure.

The butthurt against Sony western exclusives since Naughty Dog turned the industry upside down with Uncharted 2 is stronger than ever.

The puddlegate with Spiderman, the "Kratos cannot jump" with GOW, the "this animation is next gen" for TLOU2, the "Kojima only makes movies" with Death Stranding.... no other company gets this amount of hate and preemptive attacks, which means they are the benchmark in AAA games.

Last edited:

Wunray

What is this? Nintendo exclusives constantly out score and outsell Sony exclusives. Botw will stand the test of time as did OoT, GoW will not. On a serious note there can never really be a best of anything, this is in fact a subjective thing.

Last edited:

Diddy X

There are no "best games in the industry" there are best games for each and one of us. Mine are so spread between publishers and devs, that I can't single out just one of them.

This answer is like a couple thousands levels above the OP, it doesn't even seem appropiate in this thread LOL

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
This answer is like a couple thousands levels above the OP, it doesn't even seem appropiate in this thread LOL
Thanks...
I did already apologize earlier in the thread for the lack of other options btw. Thread is just a bit of fun at the end of the day!

thelastword

Banned
While I have no issue with Sony and their developers and games..... If they are the "best" then video games are dead.
Just like all these journalists said gaming on consoles was over at the end of last gen, that mobile gaming is going to take over and leave consoles in it's wake, when EA said SP games are dead, when MS said online gaming is part of it's DNA, in essence, lots mountain dew drinking dudebro's online making Adam Sessler proud for another "it came from XBOX LIVE" session......

Funny how all these visioneers of gaming are faring.....making and shaking the industry, or NOT.....Do we deal in results or BS? So let EA tell me about Andromeda or their darling golden child Anthem.....Let MS tell me about State of Decay, Crackdown 3 and Sea of Thieves and that golden online juice that everybody is oblivious to but them........And tell me about these journalists and those doom gloomers that dare call themselves professionals........Professionals of gaming who hate games, who wish the collapse of the industry and who are more politicized and 30 pieces of silver takers as opposed to being honest journalists who can read the industry instead of trying to mold it.......Let the games do the talking, less politics, just report the news and what's quality or what's not.....

In essense, journalists said consoles are over...>Sony said "hold my beer"......Here's a 100+ million console to prove you wrong......What's that? EA said SP games are a waste of time and online is where it's at? Sony said hold my "bourbon" here's......"UC4 GOTY, GOW, GOTY, ASTRO VR GOTY and you have runner up GOTY's like Horizon Zero Dawn, Spiderman, BloodBorne etc in tow..." and yet, there's more GOTY's and runner ups to come till this gen ends....So it's an unrelenting barrage of quality content as opposed to Nintendo's recycling the same Wii games on Wii U and then to Switch....Not new iterations, but the same games......GOW, changed the formula, GTS changed the formula, UC4/LL changed the formula....Astro is probably the most important platformer in 20 years....Dreams is a platform changer and will usher something gamechanging just as LBP did back then but even more ambitious.....Then we move on to....Variety/Niche?........ Gravity Rush, Detroit, Yakuza, Concrete Genie, Until Dawn, Death Stranding, Tsushima which you will not get anywhere else, or on any other console....You love fighting games? where will you go? You love Japanese games where will you go? PS is not winning because it has some movie games that nobody plays and remembers.......Nobody is going to pass on GOW, UC4, Bloodborne, Spiderman etc....to play drek like Crackdown and it's ilk......

So trying to put the blame on quality games is not going to work...Millions of folk have enjoyed these games and they're stoked for more and no doubt the new IP's that Sony is guaranteed to bring come next gen......Let MS keep bringing in Forza Horizon with the same formula, it will be dead by next gen, Forza Sim is already done, Halo and Gears are done, Fable is not going to save MS, nor ninja Theory and INxile and those We happy few devs, if they're banking on that.....Sony will sell 200 million PS5's next gen to even lower MS numbers from this gen's performance....If Nintendo keeps on rehashing the same wii mario game next gen, they'll be dead in the water too, everybody forgets how Nintendo follows up a success, Wii -->WiiU, thinking persons will just keep on buying the same game forever with seasons so dry that it will make a California brush fire proud....Niintendo needs to go back to the GC days, get folk good hardware, blow some socks with a realistic looking Zelda, get us some ware like Eternal Darkness, RE4, Viewtiful Joe, Killer 7, Metroid Prime, Symphonia, FZero, Star Wars Rogue Leader, Super Monkey Ball, Super Smash Bros Melee, Animal Crossing, Super Mario Sunshine, Paper Mario, Luigi's Mansion and so many niche games....Variety was much better there....Forget about just the Mario and Zelda formula, they need to get some gems that are not these games like they did on GC.....

Thank god Sony was able to deliver completely fresh new experiences on each of the 6 Uncharted games, 7 God of War, 7 Gran Turismo...

geez
if only Nintondo could get some clues from a truly innovative company
GTS is structured different to past GT games, that's why persons (journalists) complained, but it has proven to be a very successful bet for them, that new vision has proven worthwhile......Whilst other online based games that were hyped to kingdom come are dead in 2 weeks.....GTS is the busiest and most populated racer you will play online from all gens prior combined......GOW was a reboot, hence no number, Uncharted 4 changed it up and Naughty is already working on something new regardless........Come to think about it, GTS started on PS1 and it's only at official number 6.......We also got the Motor Toon series, Omega Boost and Tourist Trophy from Poliphony......Another series in Forza is already hitting 8 Motorsport titles, where Motorsport in-game is a far cry from GT, also, soon to hit 5 Horizon titles, where most of these games came across the last two console generations....Yet, it's so nice to pad UC, GT or even GOW numbers when there were titles made specifically for handhelds which the competition does not have said platforms.....Funny, even then,there are still less GT titles than all Forza titles regardless....

Closer

I like how "Rockstar" are games made by Rockstar, "Nintendo" are games made by Nintendo, but "Sony Exclusives" are all games made for PlayStation that are exclusives, made by Sony or not.

Last edited:

Aren117

Completely fresh and new experiences like VR

The funny thing is that Sony announces INNOVATIVE games in their State of Play and most people, even Sony's users, start trolling and whining on why Sony remains silent on their big three and the same games we have heard about for 3 years already. So, innovation is not wanted by the biggest audiences, even hardcore gamers. They want the same dope of the same stuff, over and over.

Everything I wanted for my PS4: games for the accessory that didn't come bundled in the first place and I don't have. #4ThePlayers or something!

Your argument

Dude called every Nintendo game "the same, just with a new lick of paint" and was like "yas Sony is de best because she does different". I pointed that Sony also released some samey shit (like, 6 Uncharted games, with almost the same gameplay, in 10 years) in an ironic way, that was all of it. Maybe it wasn't clear, but I never said that Nintendo was always innovative.

The combat is repetitive, factually, i.e. samey enemies, samey trolls, samey everything. Atreus is also overpowered, even at the highest difficulties (spam square to win most fights). But carry on, if you're the sort of person who equates criticism of a toy with "attempted trolling", I can only shrug.

Funny thing is that we always joked about how God of War was just Square-Square-Triangle, and then the new GoW you can just hold R1 after getting the spin skill and Kratos can do just fine on a good bunch of battles in normal difficulty. And the hardest difficulty is actualy hot garbage with damage sponge enemies. But yeah, the fanboys will dismiss this.

gifgaf

Funny thing is that we always joked about how God of War was just Square-Square-Triangle, and then the new GoW you can just hold R1 after getting the spin skill and Kratos can do just fine on a good bunch of battles in normal difficulty. And the hardest difficulty is actualy hot garbage with damage sponge enemies In My Opinion. But yeah, the fanboys will dismiss this.[/QUOTE]

FTFY.

Considering the majority of players scored it highly that wouldn't that make your opinion in the minority?. I know I felt the combat was engaging and super satisfying.

DanielsM

Banned
I like how "Rockstar" are games made by Rockstar, "Nintendo" are games made by Nintendo, but "Sony Exclusives" are all games made for PlayStation that are exclusives, made by Sony or not.

Yeah, I mean the OP is possibly combining two separate items, are they a top developer vs. best exclusives. (I don't do voting for the most part) Sony is running on all cylinders and have been for about 10 years now, however someone wants to look at it. Not all of them are my cup of tea, but high quality and large variety of games comes to mind - very few strike outs since the middle of last gen, imo. I'm not sure why Rockstar is included but obviously RS is putting out some decent products. I loved Zelda back in the day, and actually loved all the early Mario Karts, but there really isn't anything else Nintendo makes that I would be remotely interested in - obviously other people like their titles and that is okay as well.

Not sure the world needs polls like this though, but Sony probably has games stacking up right now.... very nice job and good run for sure.

Last edited:

Krakin

"In 2018 GOW beat Rdr 2 so bad, nobody is talking about rdr2."
Does anyone even talk about that God of War? Even the Spider-Man PS4 game doesn't get much talk anymore. What a stupid way to judge games.

GOW just won a bunch of BAFTAs so yeah, I'd still say it's riding the wave.

JCK75

GOW was fantastic and I like the Naughty Dog games, but outside of that the majority of games are overhyped and underwhelming.

scalman

Best exclusives made from sony ? Yes. But nothing can compete those ps1 times when its all began . it was mindlbowing one exclusive after another and all new ip's all different genres it was just best of best times to play games.
Imagine that all ps5 exclusives would be new Ip's again and with fresh and new ideas. Will we ever have that jump that was made with ps1 console in games?

Last edited:
Sony exclusives certainly the most hyped ones. They are good but not the best or better then others.
UC4 didn't live up to expectations coming from UC3. Will see if tlou2 does after tlou1.
GTS was a letdown to the series, Detroit and others coming to pc. Too much remakes also with spyro, sotc, ratched etc.
Singleplayer games you play once maybe twice then they are forgotten anyways.
Lets hope ps5 will be more about actual gaming instead of cinematics that account for half of a game, and no more 30fps with dips cinematic experiences either.

Death Streanding will see, no konami involved. Days Gone looks dull. Ghost of Tsuhima is the only interesting title, but we have no clue how that will turn out as nothing really impressive has been seen from sucker punch before.

Ogbert

To give Sony their due, they produce the sort of games that win awards.

Big budget, third person melodramas. They do it well and it garners praise.

I just don't think a single Sony game is a market leader in one critical discipline - gameplay.

To give Sony their due, they produce the sort of games that win awards.

Big budget, third person melodramas. They do it well and it garners praise.

I just don't think a single Sony game is a market leader in one critical discipline - gameplay.

Exactly this, its not really about gamers or gameplay for Sony. Generating income via hype seems their thing.
Hollywood cinematic gaming, though with nice graphics or should i say art. Next ps5 their games will be 70% movie. Afraid that 30fps will continue, as graphics sells. Even PS2 had more 60fps aaa games like mgs2, zoe2, ratched, jak, GT3/4 etc.
If the hardware cant handle it then tone down graphics, instead of 30fps anno 2019.

StormCell

Ok, what did you like in the past that they stopped doing?

Well, the bigger disappointment for me is with Gran Turismo. Then there's also Twisted Metal which feels like it has just withered on the vine while 3rd Person Action games get the bulk of the funding. They also threw in the towel on extreme sports games after PS2, so no more Cool Boarders, Jet Moto, etc. Thankfully, they still made a game like Little Big Planet, but most of their efforts seem directed at 3rd Person action.

That's just from Sony. There was a time when Playstation exclusives also included a crap ton of third party titles (ie. Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, Tomb Raider, Grand Theft Auto, and so on). So, of course, Playstation Exclusives aren't what they used to be, and that's also a good thing. At the same, though, the gaming market feels incredibly focused on a select few genres while the rest whither or rely on indie support. I would like to see a greater variety of sports titles again.

And... I'd also like to add that I've played Steep, and it also just doesn't scratch that itch the right way. I feel this way often. I don't play Madden anymore because it just doesn't feel fun to play. Love MLB The Show and wish they could still make an NFL branded football game. I wish a game like Road Rash could get a quality successor (yeah, I've seen the Road Rash-like game), and this is the type of game that up above I lamented gets a much smaller budget than God of War. I'd just like to see them spread the funds around better.

Of course they won't, because of God of War turns a lot more heads than these other games ever will. I miss when gaming was a smaller market and games like SimCity were "worth making."

Last edited:
I'm not sure if PlayStation exclusives are the best games in the industry - that's pretty bold, considering how many great 3rd party devs they're up against these days.

Compared to their competitors offerings however? And when looking at it from 1995 to 2019? Easily.

Every title R* brings out, seems to get a free pass - from both gamers and magazines. Horrible controls and arduous mechanics in some recent titles, yet "10s, 10s, 10s across the board."

GermanZepp

I don't think they are better game, that reeeally devatible. I would agree that they kinda set a quality bar though EDIT: and i add that they try to spread to various genres. Variety in exclusives is cool.

Last edited:

tryDEATH

Well critically, TLOU beat GTA5 in goty awards and GOW absolutely nuked RDR2... even the other night in London where RDR2 got no awards and GOW picked up 5 including goty.

Witcher was against Bloodborne in 2015, so I wouldn’t expect a hardcore title to win against a mass appeal title.

Horizon was up against Zelda, you wouldn’t expect the first entry in a series and genre a studio has never done before to beat a beloved franchise from Nintendo in its first attempt.

Just like I said TLOU and GoW were great titles. TLOU set the bar and from there on Sony's titles have been iterations of it since that tried to evolve the formula more and more with GoW being now the latest to do it successfully. The rest as legit as your excuses are they don't really hold water if people are trying to argue Sony's collective work is the best when it clearly still has shortcomings compared to the competitors be it the quality or mass appeal since its the whole catalog, not just a couple.

Also, GTA V still outsold TLOU and RDR2 also outsold GoW on Sony's own platform and that is primarily down due to those games MP element that allows the game to live past its initial playthrough and keep the player base engaged for 100's of hours. Critical acclimation is nice, but the reality is that a very large majority of gamers don't care for them, just like in movies.

Well according to Metacritic, Microsoft and Nintendo have higher exclusive averages, and since Metacritic is the site that can get teams disbanded, fired, or make people resign...

IMO there are too many "top games" across 40 years of consoles to say ONE company has the best games in the industry. Maybe for certain time periods during certain moments in time, but that's likely a month or 3 at best.

Closer

Yeah, I mean the OP is possibly combining two separate items, are they a top developer vs. best exclusives. (I don't do voting for the most part) Sony is running on all cylinders and have been for about 10 years now, however someone wants to look at it. Not all of them are my cup of tea, but high quality and large variety of games comes to mind - very few strike outs since the middle of last gen, imo. I'm not sure why Rockstar is included but obviously RS is putting out some decent products. I loved Zelda back in the day, and actually loved all the early Mario Karts, but there really isn't anything else Nintendo makes that I would be remotely interested in - obviously other people like their titles and that is okay as well.

Not sure the world needs polls like this though, but Sony probably has games stacking up right now.... very nice job and good run for sure.

Sony does a really good job at making high quality games. I just don't like (most of) them, 'cause I'm not the target demographic, and that's fine. There are too many good games out there. We need a little more effort these days to find those good games, but they are there.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
Nah. Not even close for me personally. I own a Pro and a Scorpio and my Scorpio gets infinitely more use because imho third party games are the best. Sony offers great experiences, but I play them once and I’m done. I haven’t turned my Pro on since I got the plat in Spider-Man months ago. Meanwhile there are loads of third party games I enjoy playing through just as much but they also offer means of replay value.

Sony games also lack gameplay imho. They seem to focus on perfectly crafted experiences checking all the boxes needed to be received well but the gameplay is lacking. I hope Days Gone doesn’t follow that path.

StormCell

Nah. Not even close for me personally. I own a Pro and a Scorpio and my Scorpio gets infinitely more use because imho third party games are the best. Sony offers great experiences, but I play them once and I’m done. I haven’t turned my Pro on since I got the plat in Spider-Man months ago. Meanwhile there are loads of third party games I enjoy playing through just as much but they also offer means of replay value.

Sony games also lack gameplay imho. They seem to focus on perfectly crafted experiences checking all the boxes needed to be received well but the gameplay is lacking. I hope Days Gone doesn’t follow that path.

I feel like some of their games are definitely like that, but then some of them are truly special. As someone whose GOAT is BotW, I didn't have high expectations coming in HZD. What I found is an experience I didn't know I wanted or needed. I couldn't say that about a game like GoW. We need games like it, though, and I don't want them to stop making GoW. I just want them to spread the love around to other genres. I kind of feel like even Gran Turismo is getting the disrespect treatment when this title was, just a short 10 years ago, a flagship title. The same goes for Twisted Metal where I feel like they haven't really put any creative energy into their level designs in a very long time.

But to be clear, I feel like this is a market trend and not just a Sony trend. Nintendo also hasn't made a Snowboarding game since GameCube. No F-Zero. A lot of spin off or niche titles have gone to the dev backlog (or graveyard) these past 10 or so years. It's just a very "safe" market now.

Bryank75

Banned
I feel like some of their games are definitely like that, but then some of them are truly special. As someone whose GOAT is BotW, I didn't have high expectations coming in HZD. What I found is an experience I didn't know I wanted or needed. I couldn't say that about a game like GoW. We need games like it, though, and I don't want them to stop making GoW. I just want them to spread the love around to other genres. I kind of feel like even Gran Turismo is getting the disrespect treatment when this title was, just a short 10 years ago, a flagship title. The same goes for Twisted Metal where I feel like they haven't really put any creative energy into their level designs in a very long time.

But to be clear, I feel like this is a market trend and not just a Sony trend. Nintendo also hasn't made a Snowboarding game since GameCube. No F-Zero. A lot of spin off or niche titles have gone to the dev backlog (or graveyard) these past 10 or so years. It's just a very "safe" market now.
A very balanced and honest take, thanks for the contribution to the thread.

Ian Henry

Well said. They need to bring that variety with their 1st Party again. The PS2 and PS3 era nailed that perfectly for them. Hopefully PS5 will be better.

Dragon_Rocks

Gold Member
Well said. They need to bring that variety with their 1st Party again. The PS2 and PS3 era nailed that perfectly for them. Hopefully PS5 will be better.

Is there enough variety in MS and Nintendo 1st party? MS sticks to its Gears, Halo, Forza and recently they created SoT and Nintendo sticks with Mario platformers, Zelda, Smash, Kart and recently Splatoon. To me it seems all platforms suffer from lack of variety in one from or the other in their 1st party. At least MS and PS get some good support from 2nd and 3rd party which adds to its catalog giving lot more options to the gamers. With my Nintendo systems I always buy the same series of games which I listed earlier and very few others come up like Bayonetta 2 and Xenoblade series.

Aren117

FTFY.

Considering the majority of players scored it highly that wouldn't that make your opinion in the minority?. I know I felt the combat was engaging and super satisfying.

The "Give me God of War" difficulty? I don't think people praised this mode at all.

StormCell

Regarding Nintendo: they are, at minimum, putting in a lot of effort with Mario Kart and Smash Bros. Splatoon as well. They have also released Arms and Mario Tennis. Kirby and Yoshi. They're preparing to release Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion, Animal Crossing, and Pokemon later this year. Metroid Prime is in the pipeline. More Zelda too.

But they didn't put a lot of effort into Mario Party.

They can do more, but who does more than Nintendo currently does?

Nope. They aren't bad by any means, but Sony doesn't use that creativity or polish that Nintendo does. They usually take an in-depth plot, without focus on the gameplay and merely produce an average first-person shooter or whatever. Nintendo games have charm to them, bu they also utilize subtle but innovative gameplay, while also making their IP's likable and have some depth with their storylines (ie. Metroid). There are a handful (And I mean literally a HANDFUL of good Sony franchises) such as MGS, God of War, FF7 (Which isn't a franchise, but still), GTA, and Uncharted. Everything else ranges from merely good to below average quality.

Daymos

If you take the past 20 years (and not the past 5 years) my own preference is blizzard, bioware, bethesda, square/enix, and nintendo.. other than gran turismo I've never been completely enthralled and addicted to a Sony 1st party game. I don't like god of war, uncharted, the last of us, etc all that much. I bought a playstation for final fantasy 7 and since then RPGs have always been what I play on Sony systems.

Moving to modern day and not two decades though, blizzard and bioware kind of suck now, bethesda hasn't made a game I like since skyrim, and square/nintendo.. they made a game every couple years that I really like.

Last edited:
GOW3 was better for its time than GOW ps4 imho.
Sony exclusive look too much samey. It s like playing the same game with different skins. In no way i would vote for Sony exclusives...

Until dawn, sf5, inside those were stellar games.

to me ......its best games in the industry these games mostly aimed for gamers of playstation due its not aiming business standpoint like other companies like Ubisoft or EA its just their games aims well than those companies telling its a player's Choice but its not...

Ogbert

There's a fundamental difference between how Nintendo approaches games and how Sony does (or, rather, it's studios).

Miyamoto explained it - Nintendo designers pitch their game ideas on a single side of A4 paper. For example, Splatoon was built on a single gameplay mechanic; moving through the paint. They then developed that mechanic and built a game around it. The last thing they did was put the squids in.

In contrast, Sony, especially its Western studios, will put together a 300 page brief with art concepts and world building. The 'experience' is first, but it's an entirely visual experience. They are certainly market leaders at that.

So it comes down to whichever floats your boat. Pitch perfect gaming mechanics or drop dead visuals and ok gameplay.

Top Bottom