• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are transgendered folk obligated to disclose that information to potential mates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amalthea

Banned
If sexes are so much set in stone then why are there things like hermaprodites?

In the end everyone thinks there's an angel in gods fluffy baby factory that pushes either the boy or girl button. But real biology doesn't work like this.

Also, I didn't notice before, but you used the term "fake" to describe the vagina of a trans woman. Keep that in mind.

At any rate, the analogy (as with the previous one) is not meant to offend. It's to explain the very question you asked me here.

you should actually read my post instead of just looking at the words, brah

Shouta

I'd never treat a trans-gendered woman like man; I wouldn't even do such a thing to a trans-woman; but I retain my body's right to be turned off by such a thing, regardless of how illogical it may seem (the logical part of our brain simply doesn't control such things, what can you do?)

That's fine as long as you're treating a transgendered individual like they want to be treated outside of not being involved romantically with them.

abrack08

First date topic. Hell, it should be brought up the moment either person asks the other out on a date.

This post was on the first page (aka 8 pages ago), but it sums up how I feel nicely.

I would not be okay with either dating or have any sort of physical relationship with a girl who used to be a guy. If that means I'm close minded or whatever, fine. But I should still have the choice of whether or not I want to be with a girl who used to be a dude before that happens.

iirate

It is, though. I meant, for the record, natural in the sense of being born that way. Artificial being something changed (esp. by man). And before you go there, if my wife got a sex change, I would not be with her in the same way.

Also, I didn't notice before, but you used the term "fake" to describe the vagina of a trans woman. Keep that in mind.

At any rate, the analogy (as with the previous one) is not meant to offend. It's to explain the very question you asked me here.

But your theoretical wife was incorrectly assigned her gender according to genetics. Many people like you would argue that she is male, meaning that every person that ever called her female is "changing" her. Sex isn't entirely biological; Gender isn't entirely social. The real answer is that they both are influenced by biology AND socialization, and are both fluid concepts. It's a side effect of how our society likes to imagine that sex and gender are binary when it is much, much more complicated.

Garbaga

Banned
That's fine as long as you're treating a transgendered individual like they want to be treated outside of not being involved romantically with them.

But I bet you're probably on the cusp of overcoming that last hurdle!

Ha, I'm married so I doubt it'll ever happen.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I'm not sure that's a good analogy for this. Let me use a simple example. Say he was dating some girl. he really liked her. He was making all the right moves, of course they were sleeping together and all, and he finds out she's half black. He then proceeds to storm out and stop dating her. Why when he's enjoyed her company so long? Well, as he put it "I'm not into black girls!" I think at THAT point you would have a closer analogy.

See, I'm gay because I'm sexually and emotionally attracted to men. I don't feel that way towards women generally. If I DID however I don't feel so completely invested in my identity as a gay male that I would suppress my feelings because "I'm not into girls." What would be the point of such denial on my part except heterophobia? I mean, people are people and they like what they like.

I'm not telling you you would have to like a trans girl at all. I'm not trying to make any sort of value judgment. But I think that this is not so much a matter of personal taste, this is more narrowly about investment in a personal identity such that if a person was enjoying the company of a girl, and was even intimate with the girl and found no particular difference with any other girl they had been with, there is no rational reason to be upset with the situation except the lie of omission. Still, I get the sense that a large number of people are almost... afraid that they might like a trans girl and I never really got that. It seems an incredibly random fear to me, I mean, if you find someone attractive does it REALLY matter what their plumbing used to be?
I think, when it comes to things like choosing a mate, a lot of people have a relatively narrow internal definition of gender that doesn't account for plumbing changes. And yes it's a bummer but people can't pick what turns them on or off.

People are obligated to treat everyone with respect but they're not obligated to start or stay in a relationship if they're not comfortable in it. It's not always possible to apply rationality to something that's almost entirely predicated on emotions.

iirate

No, I disagree. Because if that were really true, why would you get your gender changed...?

So that how you are treated matches how you feel? I can't say that is why everyone does so, but it's what is important to me. Every time I'm explicitly treated like a guy or referred to as one it is a painful or jarring experience. That is because I am not a guy, and the fact that not everyone knows this is an uncomfortable one for me.

EDIT: Anyways, I'm really gone this time, I swear! Take care everyone! I might be back tomorrow, depending on where things go.

Uchip

Banned
I don't give a fuck if you don't find me attractive.

Yes, but this isnt about you, its about the connection between two people.
And certain things are hardwired into a persons brain in terms of sexual attraction, which may only be revealed at more intimate times, and could end up hurting both parties significantly.
Its the same reason I disclose the fact that ive dealt with serious depression and psychosis before meeting new people, and it really does a good job of separating who is worth maintaining contact with or not.

Things that society will eat you alive for, are sometimes best left exposed so that you can discern good people from assholes.

If sexes are so much set in stone then why are there things like hermaprodites?

Genetic anomalies are not evidence of ill-defined sexuality.

Derwind

No, I disagree. Because if that were really true, why would you get your gender changed...?

You don't get your gender changed, you get a sex reassignment surgery...

Gender is something you're born with irregardless of what's between your legs... as we learn more about developmental biology(Embryonic development) we are noticing this is a fact...

The sex of the person starts and ends with their reproductive organs & some physical structure...

This. Take pictures of any cis women, no matter how attractive, and then tell your straight male friends that they are trans. Most of them will "be able to tell" every damn time.

it's not even about telling them. even if you don't say anything, just sending the pic of a hot chick to them can throw up red flags.

"why did he send this pic to me of this hot chick" *starts staring intensely* +only a few options to consider+

Yeah, and if a fat person believes in being slim and still undergoes a liposuction, that makes no sense.

Nope, if a fat person believes he *is* slim. It does not make him any less fat regardless of his state of mind. If I am born believing I am a god, it does not make me any more of a god until I am physically so. If I am born believing I am white, it doesn't make any more so until I am physically that way. Etcetera, ad infinitum.

Thanks for that example, though.

You don't get your gender changed, you get a sex reassignment surgery...

Gender is something you're born with irregardless of what's between your legs... as we learn more about developmental biology we are noticing this is a fact...

The sex of the person starts and ends with their reproductive organs & some physical structure...

Difference between gender and sex is noted from this point forward. Acknowledging billychu's post, as well.

There are, however, multiple definitions of gender, one of which is societally based.

Emitan

Or, to be more specific, you are changing your body’s appearance to more accurately reflect the gender you identify as, which can—but not always!—include genital surgery.

This is more accurate and what I meant to say!!

Bed time now for realsies!

EDIT: iirate I feel guilty for all the times (well only on GAF, but still!) I've been mistaken as a girl :/

Locke_211

This is an incredibly trite comparison (but then it kind of fits most of the arguments here!) but what if you really don't want to date someone with black ancestry. A beautiful white girl who has a black grandparent, for instance. By the arguments here, her having a black grandparent would be the 'truth', so not telling you would be holding back on the truth, deception, entrapment, for instance. At what point should she tell any guy (or girl) she's dating that she has a black grandparent?

I read an interesting post on a social justice site about disclosure. If you don't want to date a transperson, it's your responsibility to say that to anyone you're on a date with.

Carcetti

I applaud those who take the extra step to be closer to what they feel and to be happy in life and I'll wholeheartedly support you until the day I die. But for a man to be artificially altered and say he is 100% woman is an insult to my mom, my wife, my daughter and my sisters. You are not as much a woman as they are and you never will be. You are a transwoman, now and for the rest of your life.

Do these 'women in your life' share this attitude or do they even care? Or did you decide by yourself what's an insult to them?

Future

Do these 'women in your life' share this attitude or do they even care? Or did you decide by yourself what's an insult to them?

He's basically saying in harsh terms that woman does not equal transwoman, which is basically the truth. And it's for that reason that Id also think certain information needs to be disclosed early. The thought of a "transition" for many is too much to get over, and it shouldn't be assumed that people can just handle it

Now are trans insults to men/women? No. But I don't think he was saying that's the case either

I think, when it comes to things like choosing a mate, a lot of people have a relatively narrow internal definition of gender that doesn't account for plumbing changes. And yes it's a bummer but people can't pick what turns them on or off.

People are obligated to treat everyone with respect but they're not obligated to start or stay in a relationship if they're not comfortable in it. It's not always possible to apply rationality to something that's almost entirely predicated on emotions.

All of this is true, but I just don't think people are giving the other side enough credit in figuring how difficult this is.

Again, I dated a guy recently who I had read, initially, as Latino. After a few dates, I learned that he was actually a fair-skinned African American. I really didn't care what his "real" race is, but what if I did? I'm betting at least some people do. What if my sexuality were constructed in such a way that I just can't stand the thought of getting it on with a black guy, and any attraction I had to him vanished once I knew that he was "really" black? Is that just racist animus? Authentic personal sexuality? Both?

All of this is true, but I just don't think people are giving the other side enough credit infiguring how difficult this is.

Again, I dated a guy recently who I had read, initially, as Latino. After a few dates, I learned that he was actually a fair-skinned African American. I really didn't care what his "real" race is, but what if I did? I'm betting at least some people do. What if my sexuality were constructed in such a way that I just can't stand the thought of getting it on with a black guy, and any attraction I had to him vanished once I knew that he was "really" black? Is that just racist animus? Authentic personal sexuality? Both?

His race has never changed, for one. For two, that's your own thing, I guess.

And for three, I thought race wasn't an appropriate example earlier.

i would love to see a transgendered man and a transgendered woman dating eachother without knowing

this thread is good and some ppl have some good arguments.. good read

His race has never changed, for one. For two, that's your own thing, I guess.

And for three, I thought race wasn't an appropriate example earlier.

Yeah, you stated your opinion, and you also didn't do a ton to explicate why you felt that race wasn't a valid analogy.

His race never changed, but my perception of it did. He was indistinguishable from a Latino to me at first, and I later learned that he was "really" black, in a pretty similar way that a trans person can be indistinguishable from a "genetic girl" and later someone learns that she's "really" trans. The analogy gets at something previous race-based ones don't: the fact that the revulsion is intellectual and ideological, rather than instinctual and spontaneous. I was attracted to him physically, based on everything I saw, when I thought he was Latino. In our hypothetical, it was only when I learned that he was black, a piece of knowledge that doesn't change his appearance in the slightest, that I got turned off. This mirrors the situation of a trans person who passes well perfectly- our hypothetical straight man was totally attracted to her until he learned a fact that in no way changed her appearance, and all of a sudden found himself uninterested.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Personally I don't care, people are obsessed with labelling everything. If you like someone, you like them. If you don't, you don't. I would be considered heterosexual but I can't say 100% that I wouldn't be interested if a transgender gal came along, who I had an amazing connection with.

This

But if it was pre op i would just avoid there penis and stick with anal.

All in all were all human and labels suck.

edit catching up with the thread lol everyone is tip toeing around each other.

Yeah, you stated your opinion, and you also didn't do a ton to explicate why you felt that race wasn't a valid analogy.

His race never changed, but my perception of it did. He was indistinguishable from a Latino to me at first, and I later learned that he was "really" black, in a pretty similar way that a trans person can be indistinguishable from a "genetic girl" and later someone learns that she's "really" trans. The analogy gets at something previous race-based ones don't: the fact that the revulsion is intellectual and ideological, rather than instinctual and spontaneous. I was attracted to him physically, based on everything I saw, when I thought he was Latino. In our hypothetical, it was only when I learned that he was black, a piece of knowledge that doesn't change his appearance in the slightest, that I got turned off. This mirrors the situation of a trans person who passes well perfectly- our hypothetical straight man was totally attracted to her until he learned a fact that in no way changed her appearance, and all of a sudden found himself uninterested.

1) It wasn't me who thought race was a bad analogy (as far as I recall). One of my first examples included race.
2) I said it was your own thing.
3) Your example works better with intersexed, not transsexual. Perception be damned - the person you're with never was anything else.

Simplet

I'm not sure that's a good analogy for this. Let me use a simple example. Say he was dating some girl. he really liked her. He was making all the right moves, of course they were sleeping together and all, and he finds out she's half black. He then proceeds to storm out and stop dating her. Why when he's enjoyed her company so long? Well, as he put it "I'm not into black girls!" I think at THAT point you would have a closer analogy.

See, I'm gay because I'm sexually and emotionally attracted to men. I don't feel that way towards women generally. If I DID however I don't feel so completely invested in my identity as a gay male that I would suppress my feelings because "I'm not into girls." What would be the point of such denial on my part except heterophobia? I mean, people are people and they like what they like.

I'm not telling you you would have to like a trans girl at all. I'm not trying to make any sort of value judgment. But I think that this is not so much a matter of personal taste, this is more narrowly about investment in a personal identity such that if a person was enjoying the company of a girl, and was even intimate with the girl and found no particular difference with any other girl they had been with, there is no rational reason to be upset with the situation except the lie of omission. Still, I get the sense that a large number of people are almost... afraid that they might like a trans girl and I never really got that. It seems an incredibly random fear to me, I mean, if you find someone attractive does it REALLY matter what their plumbing used to be?

Race is not a very good analogy, but even if it was, your example is incorrect. The transgendered woman is not actually a guy, that just happens to look like a woman, and you realize it after a few dates (that'd actually be an interesting situation, and not as simple as your race example at all). A transgendered woman is someone that was once a male, and then went through all sorts of various medical procedures and behavioural modifications to become a woman. It's a bit as if a white girl had surgery to make her eyes slanted and accentuate her cheekbones, slighly altered the color of her skin, maybe dyed and flattened her hair, took some some pronunciation classes to get an accent and modified the way she dresses, and then acted in everything as if she was a first generation korean immigrant.

You might say that she always felt like a korean woman, and that this (formerly) white girl is not actively trying to deceive anyone, just live her life the way she wants to without having to explain her choices at every turn. And you'd be right to some extent. But now imagine this girl dating someone, let's say a guy with an asian fetish, and he discovers after months that she was born in a chicken farm in Kansas. Don't you think the guy might have some sort of a reaction? That he'll feel like he's been taken for a ride? He might still want to date this woman, but something will definitely be going on in this relationship, something is going to be different.

Furthermore, the gender issue is more complicated than you make it look. This former white girl turned korean will never be korean in the same way an actual korean person would be. Even if her "koreanness" was perfect it'd still be studied koreanness. Nothing wrong with that, but it's just not the exact same thing (and before you tell me that Korean people also have to "study" their own koreanness when they grow up and imitate everyone, the process is still very different). In the same way a transgered woman will certainly become a woman (at the very least from a legal point of view) but her womanhood is not the exact same womanhood as that of a person born female.

Dead Man

So, for all those saying it is a 'first date' or 'first 5 minutes' thing, would you expect someone to tell you they were infertile in that time frame?

i would love to see a transgendered man and a transgendered woman dating eachother without knowing
Sounds like a horrible movie featuring Adam Sandler and Martin Lawrence. *shudders*

Edit: I didn't know about the difference transsexual/-gendered.
Anyway, if a tg woman still has a dick and a nutsack, I expect her to tell me at the beginning of the first date. Most certainly before a kiss or anything happens.
If she's post-surgery, I'd say it's okay to say later on. Second or third date maybe.

We had the same show in Aus: "There's something about Miriam". The Miriam I went to school with got so much flak about it.

To answer your question, not as an opening line, but somewhere between feeling comfortable enough to think they would understand and want date you and actually starting to date, I think it would probably be the right thing to do for both parties involved.

Wiktor

Well..hiding such information would be ideal reason for mariage annulment. And if it does that much then it should be revealed before you start relationship

He's basically saying in harsh terms that woman does not equal transwoman, which is basically the truth. And it's for that reason that Id also think certain information needs to be disclosed early. The thought of a "transition" for many is too much to get over, and it shouldn't be assumed that people can just handle it

Now are trans insults to men/women? No. But I don't think he was saying that's the case either

Am I allowed to step in and say that I, as a woman, consider transwomen to also be regular women? Or are only men allowed to decide which women are real women ;)

people are people are people.

kinggroin

Banned
it's not even about telling them. even if you don't say anything, just sending the pic of a hot chick to them can throw up red flags.

"why did he send this pic to me of this hot chick" *starts staring intensely* +only a few options to consider+

pretty much

It seems that as awareness increases, so does every man's initial hesitation, despite how attractive the person in question is to them. It seems illogical, but human emotion and all that. I know I can't even begin to explain it.

jorma

is now taking requests
So, for all those saying it is a 'first date' or 'first 5 minutes' thing, would you expect someone to tell you they were infertile in that time frame?

Would you tell a muslim there is pork in the casserole before or after he eats from it? You know the pork casserole is perfectly fine and tasty as fuck, but you also know that there is a high chance that he will be very upset when he finds out what he ate.

When do you tell him? Before or after?

Dead Man

Would you tell a muslim there is pork in the casserole before or after he eats from it? You know the pork casserole is perfectly fine and tasty as fuck, but you also know that there is a high chance that he will be very upset when he finds out what he ate.

When do you tell him? Before or after?

That is an unbelievably terrible analogy. 'Hi, my name is James, and I am transgendered, would you like to go to a movie?'. Really?

-viper-

Banned
That is an unbelievably terrible analogy. 'Hi, my name is James, and I am transgendered, would you like to go to a movie?'. Really?
Relationships should be about trust. Not disclosing who you are goes against this.

I would never ever date a transgendered person.

jorma

is now taking requests

I'm sorry, but i translated "first date" as an euphemism for "before sex". I was not aware that you meant 'do i have to tell him before we watch that jack and jill movie".

You tell him before sex and before eating the casserole. That's my position. And the analogy still works.

leadbelly

Banned
Well, I certainly would like to know that information. :p

I think getting to the point of undressing and finding a surprise waiting for me downstairs would be one of my worst nightmares. lol

Dead Man

I'm sorry, but i translated "first date" as an euphemism for "before sex". I was not aware that you meant 'do i have to tell him before we watch that jack and jill movie".

You tell him before sex and before eating the casserole. That's my position. And the analogy still works.

I specifically said 'first date' and 'first 5 minutes'. But of course you tell them before you have sex if they are not already aware. If sex is the casserole I agree with you completely. I was looking at the movie as the casserole.

Relationships should be about trust. Not disclosing who you are goes against this.

I would never ever date a transgendered person.

NEVER EVER!

jorma

is now taking requests
I specifically said 'first date' and 'first 5 minutes'. But of course you tell them before you have sex if they are not already aware. If sex is the casserole I agree with you completely. I was looking at the movie as the casserole.

I realise that now. We are in agreement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom