• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

are you still interested in gaming?

JordanN

Banned
Gaming as a whole? I still watch Starcraft matches and find them very entertaining. So there will always be that. I also still follow any VR news announcement whenever I can.

Modern gaming as in the PS4/XBO/Switch? I'm actually feeling burnt out by them.

I experienced the golden age of gaming which was 1980 ~ 2006 (in my opinion). Everything after that just feels like the same ol stuff being retreaded.

Even with the advances in hardware technology, I still feel underwhelmed with how developers have actually used them. Like, just being 100x more powerful than the PS2 hasn't actually given us games that are 100x more fun in comparison.

Instead, with the advances in hardware it feels like gaming has actually taken some steps backwards in some ways. Content keeps getting cut, games have issues at launch, mandatory DLC and updates, paid services etc.

I just can't keep up with it anymore. Doesn't mean I'll never play modern games again, but I'm more than satisfied digging up my old game collections and playing them until I'm bored and want to try the new stuff again

Last edited:

Durask

Yes I am.
I am a lot more picky and these days if I do not like a game 100% then I will likely drop it. But if I like the game - I'm all over it.

I find myself getting more interested, not only in gaming, but in many areas of life I love as I get older. (I'll be 50 in not too long.) Time is the only restriction. I want to be like this with all things interesting in life:

SilkyGranularAtlanticblackgoby-small.gif

Just condense it all for the sake of a limited time-frame. :p

Havoc2049

I've been a gamer ever since I was 10 years old and don't plan on quitting any time soon. I actually game more now in my 40's than I did in my 20's. Now that I'm married, established in a career and have a kid, my life is a little slower paced than when I was younger and I have more down time.

Last edited:
but in many areas of life I love as I get older. (I'll be 50 in not too long.) Time is the only restriction.

No shit. Man those old school days of MUDs and MMOs, fuck. Now it's work work work and no time to play shit (or not enough/as much as I want). I buy more games than I play at times. Bad habit I know, but shit.

Wish I had time to hide in a cave and play everything for hundreds of hours on end. Those days are just gone. But I do what I can.

Takuan

Yes, but I only get hyped for a few games each gen. I still buy titles I know will interest me when they go on sale (50%+ discount), but I don't really sink much time in them due to other priorities.

The only game this gen I was super-pumped to play and made time for was God of War. Prior to that, I think it was Fallout 4 which was mildly disappointing. Next games I really care about are TLOU2 and Cyberpunk, and those are probably at least a year out.

I did just finished sessions of SFV and DBZF just to mess around with some DLC characters, but I mainly play PUBG with a regular group of brothers. Hell, I'd probably have played that were it not for maintenance. Dabbling in Destiny 2 PC on the side, too. I've loved games since I was a kid, and probably spend more time following than playing nowadays but will likely always have a go-to for when the mood strikes.

Last edited:

Stuart360

40yo who has been gaming since the Atari 2600. I'm not in love with the industry anymore, just too many shady people and dodgy practices these days, but as for the actual games, still love them to death.

Long time ago, just buy stuff on impulse if it looks good..RDR 2 just 2nd chapter crew of forever, will never finish. I just live a different life style then what it was in teen yrs.

Mahadev

40yo who has been gaming since the Atari 2600. I'm not in love with the industry anymore, just too many shady people and dodgy practices these days, but as for the actual games, still love them to death.

Start playing more indie games man, I was the same until I started using steam. The AAA games industry is mostly devoid of innovation or even interesting games. I tried playing RDR2 a couple of days ago, what a heavily scripted, boring game, they have taken out everything that makes open world games interesting and all you're left with is the (admittedly interesting) story.

Belmonte

Even on worst case scenario, where every game is a loot box fest, From Software starts to make Souls Battle Royalle and DMCV demo/ trailers were misleading and the battle system is, in fact, like FFXV, there are games to play for an entire lifetime on the old systems.

A.Romero

It's still my favorite hobby and I don't see it changing soon.

I know it's not a popular opinion but I don't mind modern gaming and everything it entails. Personally I didn't feel like I wasted any money this year or that I'm missing out if I don't play something that I don't like for some reason (for example I haven't bought DBZ:Fighterz because I don't want to pay so much to get the full version). In most instances I think it's worth it. This year I spent more in day 1 games than ever before and I never felt like I didn't get my money's worth.

If I lost interest in gaming, I wouldn’t be posting on a video game forum. I’m not as hardcore as I used to be mostly due to lack of time and responsibilities, but it is still fun and an escape for me.

EDMIX

Why wouldn’t I be? It’s my favourite hobby But if you fed up with them its good idea take break from it for a while. Who knows maybe you might start liking video games again.

Same.

Still gaming and have no plans to stop anytime soon.

Its like asking is someone still reading or watching tv LOL!

I feel you on taking a break. Game can often feel like work! Especially for me. I have a creative job that requires my eyes to stay glued to the screen and always end up feeling exhausted. I come home and want to play and suddenly I gotta learn how to play by going through tutorials, watching YouTube videos (pending on the games im playing of course), and now im like ugh... Tired... but I love gaming so .. i.. must... keep.. goingggggg lolol That said, I still and will always love gaming. Just don't know if I can keep up with competitive gaming and playing games on really hard difficulties. Life i guess...

Voliko

Honestly the philosophy behind game design is completely different these days. The amount of new games I am genuinely interested in drops every year it seems like. Bought like 1 new game this year but I still play a shitload of old stuff

Honestly the philosophy behind game design is completely different these days. The amount of new games I am genuinely interested in drops every year it seems like. Bought like 1 new game this year but I still play a shitload of old stuff

I find myself playing the same games over and over due to the familiarity of them and to save myself some hassle of learning to play new games. One game i did buy and play right away was God of War. I played that on the hard difficulty. I just had to do it and I'm glad i did... Wasn't easy at first though.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Practice has a big effect on my interest in it. When I'm too busy to play regularly my interest decreases without the engagement, kind of like having difficulty beginning to read a book then with sufficient hooks pulled in by it. For me the barrier to start a game is steep but once I get going and keep up the hobby I'll be on a roll for a while. I experience this in genre as well. I played Total Warhammer for ~120 hours this summer feeling this constant itch to play it then I paused to wait for dlc. It comes out and I feel nothing like I never enjoyed it. I know from experience if I push myself a bit I can get back into it unless I'm in a different mode like I am right now reading books

To me I guess game mechanics are similar enough between games for there to be less novelty and if you've been around the block enough the highs aren't quite as high. I'm starting to understand the cliche of old people who don't own a tv as not just a snobbish phenomenon. If the floor for my enjoyment is that much higher there might be a handful of games in a year that will move me.

Ascend

My interest has definitely dwindled, but I'm still interested. In the past I played basically everything. Halo, COD, NFS, Assassin's Creed, BF, MMOs, you name it. Nowadays, my interest has shifted to the interesting games, rather than the AAA games, although AAA are not necessarily excluded. Even though the games are littered with issues, games that interest me the most are games like Mirror's Edge, For Honor, Life Is Strange, Her Story, Papers Please, in other words, games that do something different. I'm tired of your everyday shooter and racer.

Mooreberg

Even on worst case scenario, where every game is a loot box fest, From Software starts to make Souls Battle Royalle and DMCV demo/ trailers were misleading and the battle system is, in fact, like FFXV, there are games to play for an entire lifetime on the old systems.
Yeah, I never get too worried about prevailing trends, because there is always a mountian of owned content to go back to. Even PS4 has developed a bit of a backlog for me due to some crazy PSN store deals, or the occasional bundle, or Green Man Gaming having a few steals on digital titles. There are still half a dozen or so 2018 games I need to catch up on, but if I suddenly stopped buying games in 2019 (and I'm going to slow down quite a bit), I'm still going to have more to stuff to play than I have time. I'd hate to be somebody who more or less has to put up with foul publisher behavior out of having too limited a range of interests. These days when a diaper fire breaks out like some recent high profile releases, I can just completely ignore it and play something I already own.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I feel you on taking a break. Game can often feel like work! Especially for me. I have a creative job that requires my eyes to stay glued to the screen and always end up feeling exhausted. I come home and want to play and suddenly I gotta learn how to play by going through tutorials, watching YouTube videos (pending on the games im playing of course), and now im like ugh... Tired... but I love gaming so .. i.. must... keep.. goingggggg lolol That said, I still and will always love gaming. Just don't know if I can keep up with competitive gaming and playing games on really hard difficulties. Life i guess...

Oh yeah, I suppose fatigue has something to do with it too. If I'm in the flow of a great game I can play all night but good luck on staying engaged enough to not fall asleep in a comfortable chair at the end of the day. Free time isn't equivalent along a scale of mental alertness. Those hours at the end of the day are pretty shit compared to an evening peak around 6 or so (depending on your sleep patterns/circadian rhythms) and it's made worse if your leisure is competing with rest to catch up on accumulated sleep debt

frogx

Exactly! Back in the day games were just fun....... Dungeon Keeper, Theme Hospital, Rollercoaster Tycoon.......

Top Bottom