• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMORED CORE VI: FIRES OF RUBICON |OT| Souls in the Shell

Playthrough 1 is done,
battle with Ayre was beautiful, tough fight but not as hard as the Ibis battle
enjoying steamrolling through NG+ with all I learned in my previous playthrough and I'm experimenting with different weapons every single mission just for fun, this truly is the apex of combat gameplay, it feels and looks so damn good.

FROM can do no wrong and releasing something like this in the modern gaming landscape should be applauded, it's unflinchingly unique and makes no compromises to cater to the casual gamer, really hope we get an AC7.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Yeah I only get a little bit of time here and there. It sucks seeing people finish it so quickly :(
Surprises me since my first playthrough took about 40 hours and I never really got stuck anywhere long enough to send it that high. I just took my time and enjoyed a ton of photo mode. NG+ so far a breeze due to efficiency, I think.

lol, I just smoked Balteus on my 1st attempt in NG+ using a bipedal mech with Duckett Handgun, Laser Dagger, Diffuse Laser Cannon and Earshot Grenade Cannon, good times! Laser Dagger is one of the best melee weapons, recharge is no more than a second so you have near constant access to it.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Finished NG+ and got the "Liberator of Rubicon" ending.

The rundown to the end with the specific missions was absolutely epic and topped up the "The Fires of Raven" by a lot in my eyes. The visual effects! 😲 The music! 🤯 This whole game is completely insane!

Although i took my time with the first playthrough it's kinda crazy to go from, "a week to finish this" to "a few hours" the second time around. Can't wait for the third ending! When the game really clicks and muscle memory kicks in you actually feel like an augmented human.

I barely touched a third of the gear and the weapons that are on offer. There is still so much to fiddle around with and even more to unlock. I was also very dismissive against the Weapon Bay feature and it turns out to be my go to solution as of late.

53158914137_57b9c1507a_h.jpg

YukiOnna

Finished NG+ and got the "Liberator of Rubicon" ending.

The rundown to the end with the specific missions was absolutely epic and topped up the "The Fires of Raven" by a lot in my eyes. The visual effects! 😲 The music! 🤯 This whole game is completely insane!

Although i took my time with the first playthrough it's kinda crazy to go from, "a week to finish this" to "a few hours" the second time around. Can't wait for the third ending! When the game really clicks and muscle memory kicks in you actually feel like an augmented human.

I barely touched a third of the gear and the weapons that are on offer. There is still so much to fiddle around with and even more to unlock. I was also very dismissive against the Weapon Bay feature and it turns out to be my go to solution as of late.

53158914137_57b9c1507a_h.jpg
Liberator ending really makes you feel like a Gundam UC Hero, lol. The "Rusty was first to answer the call" and everything to the end of the final boss was so hype.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Liberator ending really makes you feel like a Gundam UC Hero, lol. The "Rusty was first to answer the call" and everything to the end of the final boss was so hype.
It felt more like the way i would choose and also fresh given that you play "again" through most of the game. Was so awesome to fight alongside him and not against him. The scenery, inside and outside! Wonderful contrast. And then they top it up with another Balteus fight. My heart was racing by the end.

NoobSmog

interesting. For now, it feels like if I focus only on time as the only factor it becomes so tight it wouldn't hurt to have some real data about those offsets.

I'll give you an example, Destroy Transport Helicopters in Chapter 1. Many places say that if the mission lists "killing as many enemies for points" as a bonus requirement, this is what you should do for S. There is also a combat log tetrapod there that Walter tells you not to fight. I've seen videos on youtube of people getting S ranks playing this mission relatively slow but killing a bunch of enemies along the way. Some, not all. Tried that for an hour, getting only As.

Then I saw another video S video - the guy just speed-boosting from chopper to chopper. So I started practicing that and was also getting As... sometimes with all end-level scores better than the S rank youtube video.

Eventually, at one point I got an S, by optimizing my boosts down to a second, making sure I one-shot every chopper to save ammo and ALMOST no damage. I find it hard to believe you have to play this perfectly, since I got some other S ranks first try on later missions with heavy expensive loadout and using medkits without much trouble?

Congrats on the plat, very impressive. Feels to me now like truly a hard one to get.
So, the way I think it works (and yeah, I wish they would just tell you the requirements), is there's a hard cut off for time, sometimes(?) credits, and then the side objectives. If you go 1 second over that hard cutoff, its an A rank no matter how many credits you get. I think it works the same way with credits too. So if you watch a video that s ranks, try to get above or near their credits, then after that just go as fast as possible. I remember having more trouble with the early missions for s rank than later missions, so you don't have to worry about it getting much harder.

YukiOnna

It felt more like the way i would choose and also fresh given that you play "again" through most of the game. Was so awesome to fight alongside him and not against him. The scenery, inside and outside! Wonderful contrast. And then they top it up with another Balteus fight. My heart was racing by the end.
Same, it was where my thoughts were heading to as I progressed through the game and interacted with every side or Ayre. The scenery and non-stop developments + the voice comms was worth it. And yeah, NG+ adding on the new missions and other interesting related things make it worth continue pursuing other routes. The meaning behind the dialogue also has new perspective.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
The pvp in this game is amazing. Like I thought it’d be a throwaway and it’s so damn fun.

Please add ranked!!!

NoobSmog

Con-Z-epT Con-Z-epT
I finished up right after I did the last ng++ fight. I think the only missable thing if you go to the next NG are arena fights. Had to s rank that mission and pick up a few weapon parts. Saved buying the last weapon part, then backing out real quick, for last to get a good platinum picture instead of the results screen for s ranks :messenger_tears_of_joy:.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I got the good ending. Now to get the next two. It’s an amazing game if you love blowing stuff up. What made dual gats so bad is that once you get it down, it doesn’t make you want to swap weapon loads.

I got the good ending. Now to get the next two. It’s an amazing game if you love blowing stuff up. What made dual gats so bad is that once you get it down, it doesn’t make you want to swap weapon loads.
Finished NG last night, finally.
And yeah, 2x gats and 2x songbirds (with explosive damage at max from OS chips) is games journo mode. They will surely nerf them at some point?

Last edited:
NG+ done, what a ride, the music in the last couple of missions tho 💯💯💯 Can't wait to see what surprises NG++ has in store for me, this game has solidified itself as another FROM masterpiece.

Naked Lunch

I feel like this game truly becomes Armored Core when you finish the Chapter 1 boss Balteus.
Before that - the weaponry and player style options in general are too limited, shoehorned. I guess they didnt want to overwhelm people from the jump.
The equipment really opens up and the control options like swapping shoulders for regular arm weapons is essential.

Zipping around with a lightweight mech w chaingun and laser shotgun, swapping to a shoulder mounter laser blade - finishing the staggered with a double barrelled grenade - all the while assault boosting and paying attention to the reload hub meters at the same time - this is a gamers game - one that devs dont really make that much anymore.

I havent even booted up Chapter 2 yet. Way too fun fighting Balteus (or any of the missions) over and over with completely different builds.
Thats the fun of Armored Core.

Needlecrash

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Finished NG last night, finally.
And yeah, 2x gats and 2x songbirds (with explosive damage at max from OS chips) is games journo mode. They will surely nerf them at some point?
I wonder what their patch will do. Seems like there’s been a lot of people finishing the game with the current layout. Any major change would shake things up a bit.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
The more I play this game, the more I feel this is going to be my GotY. It just feels way too good to play. More shear joy from it than I've gotten from TotK, FFXVI or Hogwarts Legacy (all of which I liked). I haven't gotten to Baldur's Gate 3 though.

I love mecha anime, and this is a dream come true. The customization itches the model kit builder in me. The missions are nice and punchy. The physics and combat feels excellent. I love the art direction and sound direction.

I want an artbook of this.

Bartski

Gold Member
YOUR WORK HERE IS DONE 621

z2tsB5K.jpg

My hands hurt and I feel like playing only walking simulators indefinitely now. Could be one of my proudest plats in years, omfg some of those S ranks were so damn hard. Got helplessly stuck many times and some youtube "walkthroughs" are just horrible advice. Still do go check them out, I've seen builds I'd never consider otherwise. Don't sleep on the flamethrower and the assault shield, more often than not a fast nimble mech is the only way to go.

Tired Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Getting walled by the tank in the climb the wall mission, feelsbadman.jpg
I had a tough time with that one too. After your partner leaves, the difficulty of that fight ramps HARD. I ended up brute forcing it, but I hear a quad leg is the way to go.

John Bilbo

I had a tough time with that one too. After your partner leaves, the difficulty of that fight ramps HARD. I ended up brute forcing it, but I hear a quad leg is the way to go.
With back jointed legs you can jump and fly over the boss to shoot him in the back. I think plasma melts his weakspot nicely.

rofif

Banned
First Person Mod w/ Twinstick. It's not perfect, but pretty cool

This is stupid.
The mechs are not controlled with joysticks.
They are controlled with your fucking mind connected on the orbit.

Joysticks are for heavy, old style mechs. Not this

YukiOnna

Finished NG+, Since I did Liberator Route first, it was time for the not so happy run. Those last two missions were not fun for joyful emotional me. Beautiful last battles though.

Time for NG++! I'll probably go for 100% run which I usually don't care for. I don't want my time to end with it.

Top Bottom