• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon | Review Thread

What scores do you think Armored Core VI will get?

• 50-55%

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • 55-60%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 60-65%

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • 65-70%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 45 40.9%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 6 5.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Armored Core has always been about building your way to victory - rather than powering thru with sheer skill (which is still possible too).
Trying new builds from mission to mission is what makes the series so re-playable.
Emphasis on this part.

I remember busting my ass on missions and arena battles in MOA to finally get that one upgrade that would provide a tactical advantage.

This is gonna be great. I haven't played an AC game since PS2.

phaedrus

macross plus 90s GIF

Let's gooooo!
This is such an appropriate gif, as the Macross series was created by the GOAT Shoji Kawamori, who was also the mecha designer for all the past AC games.

YukiOnna

Famitsu's review lays out couple of stuff to see if it is or isn't for you and you're struggling to understand the gameplay loop:
- Mission variety: large fields to battle enemies, dungeon-like stages of factors and buildings to explore & survey, light missions that have you annihilate your opponents, and ones that even allow avoidance of combat
- Replay value: Aiming for S rank, hidden parts & archives to hunt, Battle Log (receiving parts as it accumulates), replaying to fulfill other conditions for rewards
- Stages can be quite big and hidden elements are contained to explore and find, but not listed on the replay mission menu screen
- Retry Missions instantly with everything replenished and restored easily if you fail

Fbh

Question to help me decide if I should get this: How does defeat work? Like are there checkpoints during missions? Or if I die at a boss do I get to retry instantly or is it "mission over" and I have to play the whole mission again to get to the boss?.

I'm always up for a challenge but I hate when dying feels like it's making me waste time (for example one of the best improvements of newer souls games is that they have cut back on the whole "having to run back to the boss each time you die" thing)

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Question to help me decide if I should get this: How does defeat work? Like are there checkpoints during missions? Or if I die at a boss do I get to retry instantly or is it "mission over" and I have to play the whole mission again to get to the boss?.

I'm always up for a challenge but I hate when dying feels like it's making me waste time (for example one of the best improvements of newer souls games is that they have cut back on the whole "having to run back to the boss each time you die" thing)
They are actually check points in ACVI, in fact after you died you can change up build before retrying the boss.

I don’t know if this is true or not but I heard the way ranking works if you use the check points to retry fights you won’t able to get S rank.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fbh

SABRE220

Wow FROM can do no wrong this gen, looks like a brilliant take on the mecha genre sigh another game to add to my buy list.

Mephisto40

There are checkpoints throughout the missions, if you die, you go back to the last checkpoint

Every time you start from a checkpoint, you are given the option to re spec, so if you have gone into a boss fight with completely the wrong loadout, you can change it and try the boss again

Reactions: Fbh

Mephisto40

Any mention of how difficulty works in this? sounds like it doesn't have a difficulty setting at all, I'm hoping it's not some level scaling bullshit and I can just grind past any difficulty bumps.
You don't "level up", you just unlock new parts for your mech

The difficulty is finding a build that works, and once you do, the missions become easier to finish

This is made more simple by the fact that you can download other players builds, I'm sure people will be uploading builds designed to beat certain bosses

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Does this unlock at midnight New Zealand time on Xbox ???
Time zoneConsole launch timePC launch time
PTAug. 24, 9:00 p.m.Aug. 24, 3:00 p.m.
MTAug. 24, 10:00 p.m.Aug. 24, 4:00 p.m.
CSTAug. 24, 10:00 p.m.Aug. 24, 4:00 p.m.
CTAug. 24, 11:00 p.m.Aug. 24, 5:00 p.m.
COTAug. 25, 12:00 a.m.Aug. 24, 5:00 p.m.
ETAug. 25, 12:00 a.m.Aug. 24, 6:00 p.m.
BRTAug. 25, 12:00 a.m.Aug. 24, 7:00 p.m.
BSTAug. 25, 12:00 a.m.Aug. 24, 11:00 p.m.
CESTAug. 25, 12:00 a.m.Aug. 25, 12:00 a.m.
SASTAug. 25, 12:00 a.m.Aug. 25, 12:00 a.m.
EESTAug. 25, 12:00 a.m.Aug. 25, 1:00 a.m.
ASTAug. 25, 12:00 a.m.Aug. 25, 1:00 a.m.
GSTAug. 25, 12:00 a.m.Aug. 25, 2:00 a.m.
UTC+8Aug. 25, 12:00 a.m.Aug. 25, 6:00 a.m.
SGTAug. 25, 12:00 a.m.Aug. 25, 6:00 a.m.
KSTAug. 25, 12:00 a.m.Aug. 25, 7:00 a.m.
JSTAug. 25, 12:00 a.m.Aug. 25, 7:00 a.m.
AESTAug. 25, 12:00 a.m.Aug. 25, 8:00 a.m.
NZSTAug. 25, 12:00 a.m.Aug. 25, 10:00 a.m.

TheRyzzl

Neo Member
But they don’t. Entering a boss room and knowing I’ve got hours of learning attack patterns in front of me is a delicious feeling for me.

Me too. I had a blast learning the isshin fight. After a while I could do the first few phases blind-folded. Then getting the kill finally was so satisfying.

Naked Lunch

Ugh. I hate this. It’s so stupid that from software games have to be hard to be liked.
I don’t play a game for a frustrating challenge.
On the flipside - I find a 'frustrating challenge' to be the only reason to play games anymore.
Easy games feel pointless and boring.

While they used to be plentiful, actual difficult games are tough to come by these days.
And im not talking about fake baked in difficulty with 'easy medium hard' sliders - a difficult game designed from the jump.
Its why bullethell shmups are pretty much the main gaming genre I consistently follow any more.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
Antonline code received yesterday didn't think I would be able to play it but here I am. Series X performance mode is good, noticed minor stutters on first boss while everything on screen, nothing to cry about. Resolution mode does look to drop 30fps outside, inside corridors does seem to be a bit higher.

Last edited:
Top Bottom