• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asphalt 8 Screenshots (Nexus 7 2013 Edition + High Settings)

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Just an FYI for those that don't know new Nexus 7 is 1920 x 1200 with on screen buttons so you're gonna get 1080p game shots + buttons.

Asphalt 8

screenshot_2013-10-089py74.png
screenshot_2013-10-08xqlw5.png

Tokyo

Iceland

London

tensuke

Just started playing this on my Nexus 4, game looks amazing but the UI is absolutely horrendous. Just terrible. Also it lags sometimes, not often but occasionally it will get a little choppy and try to catch up. How's it run on the 7?

VanWinkle

Looks to definitely be running at a lower res than 1080p. Maybe 720p and then upscaled. Still, is a pretty nice looking game for sure. I couldn't play more than about 20 minutes of it since I absolutely hate tablet controls for racing games, but it looked good.

Vanillalite

Honestly, looks like a high-res PSP game. Looks like there is dithering as well.

Game looks better in motion because it seems they focused the art assets in the right places verses everywhere since you can't see stuff going so fast in motion especially when boosting.

That being said it has some JJ Abrams level of lens flair going on sometimes, and some of the environmental effects like the ice land slide look ugly.

I'm also not sure if the game has any AA or not. Jaggies look noticeable on my 22" desktop monitor where as most of them are non existent on my Nexus. Must be the PPI of the Nexus at work.

Just started playing this on my Nexus 4, game looks amazing but the UI is absolutely horrendous. Just terrible. Also it lags sometimes, not often but occasionally it will get a little choppy and try to catch up. How's it run on the 7?

People have complained of choppiness, but it's been smooth for me both in game and out so far. The only issue I've run into is earlier the game wouldn't load the social stuff. Just kept acting like it was loading/logging in to Google/Facebook. Had to exit out and reload. Then things worked.

Definitely isn't running at 60 fps or anything. Maybe it's me though, but I feel like it's running better than the 20fps people are stating though. I've had no fps problems to make me think I'd want to turn the graphics down to medium.

RM8

I know this is a thread about graphics, but this game is actually a pretty decent arcade racer as someone who is very judgemental of phone games.

Vanillalite

It really does not look much better than a heavily upressed psp game.

Here is outrun coast to coast (the best looking psp racing game) for comparison
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftV4K3UwL_U&t=4m5s
(psp really was a polygon pushing monster for being made in 2004) (oh and this ran between 30 and 60 fps too)

Polys off stuff and the general effects are better. Plus being a higher res game is a huge boon. Asphalt also tends to have really solid draw distance.

CamHostage

That's how Gameloft games work, they use common effects and techniques then dress them up with as much gloss and texture clarity as they can against the hardware cap. It ends up looking real nice and real old at the same time, with no faults you can hold against it (except in animation) but no impression made on you after a few minutes of play. Still, they've come a long way, I actively hated the earlier Asphalts for their embarrassing misconception of what racing is, but now it's just some meh but meh enough game that occasionally catches my interest when it comes pre-installed on a phone.

(By the by, I used to have Outrun PSP but I sold it, can't remember why... but yes, PSP had some truly stunning games for a portable, it's a lost treasure trove of mid-tier titles that I wish Sony could somehow tap into on a device like it tried to do with the PlayStation Mobile line.)

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.

Here is outrun coast to coast (the best looking psp racing game) for comparison
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftV4K3UwL_U&t=4m5s
(psp really was a polygon pushing monster for being made in 2004) (oh and this ran between 30 and 60 fps too)

That's not even the best looking PSP racing game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L328K6hFg9Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb4y7W_Nctw

Both of those games look waaaay better than Outrun.

tensuke

I didn't know it had graphics settings, just set it to high and it's absolutely gorgeous. Didn't really impact framerate either. I notice most of the slowdowns before the race as it's showing off the racers, and when you wreck. Might just be because it's loading stuff, though.

Top Bottom