• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed 2 - Spoiler Thread (Discuss all plot and story here)

Linkified

Y2Kev said:
Okay, so he's 17 when the game starts. I buy that. I just don't buy that's he 40 and still doing the same stuff he was when he was 17 :lol

It would have been interesting if they focused a little more on aging and the passage of time. They pretty much mention it only two or three times, and it's explicit-- as in, "It's been x years."

But the Animus can't reproduce perfect simulations - maybe the real Enzio broke a leg now and then but he was recovering when the year skipped.

Ezio's aging is handled...not great.
They missed the mark bringing out more depth in him, unfortunately.

Besides the visceral emotional stuff that they didn't put in when his parents got murked,
they could have had him hook up with Rosa or someone and show that he's not just a murderer,
he's got a soul and a conscience and a need for connection with other human beings beyond getting some girls in bed.

And gathering all the feathers was pretty much the closest to emotional resonance that I didn't project upon the game, which is disappointing.

But I will say, bearded Ezio is awesome. What a dashing chap.

Buba Big Guns said:
How do you steal weapons?
Probably the wrong thread to ask this in, but you have to have fists only and then counter.
So focus on a dude and RT and X when they swing at you (or R2 and Square?).

I hope when they get around to AC III, they let us know what happened to Ezio afterwards, similar to how the Codex details Altair's life after the death of Al-Mualim. He obviously has a kid at some point (even if I had a child before the end of the game that wasn't revealed for whatever reason), it wouldn't be the right child. I also want to know what became of his family.

Anyone else go 'Wha-?' when the camera went straight to Maria's belly in the dream sequence when Altair jumped? How the heck did those two hook up?

I wish they'd edited the jumping around in time just a bit, and have it end in 1503 or whenever the real Borgia died. I really wanted Ezio to kill him.

jett said:
I'm gonna chalk this up to this being the first time the team has attempted anything this massive, they'll learn from this just like they learned from AC1 no doubt. :p Something as little as an animation displaying the change of one date to another would have fixed this instantly.
Yeah i guess people never noticed that the date actually changed when it showed up.

jett

D-Member
NotTheGuyYouKill said:
I hope when they get around to AC III, they let us know what happened to Ezio afterwards, similar to how the Codex details Altair's life after the death of Al-Mualim. He obviously has a kid at some point (even if I had a child before the end of the game that wasn't revealed for whatever reason), it wouldn't be the right child. I also want to know what became of his family.

Anyone else go 'Wha-?' when the camera went straight to Maria's belly in the dream sequence when Altair jumped? How the heck did those two hook up?

I wish they'd edited the jumping around in time just a bit, and have it end in 1503 or whenever the real Borgia died. I really wanted Ezio to kill him.

Assassins Creed on PSP.

Toski

Buckethead said:
Ezio's aging is handled...not great.
They missed the mark bringing out more depth in him, unfortunately.

Besides the visceral emotional stuff that they didn't put in when his parents got murked,
they could have had him hook up with Rosa or someone and show that he's not just a murderer,
he's got a soul and a conscience and a need for connection with other human beings beyond getting some girls in bed.

And gathering all the feathers was pretty much the closest to emotional resonance that I didn't project upon the game, which is disappointing.

But I will say, bearded Ezio is awesome. What a dashing chap.
The story in AC1 was better told than AC2. The assassinations were weaker because I did not feel any reason for killing the targets other than getting revenge for Ezio. Part of why I liked AC1 was because you didn't know why you were killing your targets, and when they confessed to Altair they each had a different reason for what they were doing. The doctor in AC1 is probably the best assassination story in the whole series next to Al Mualim's betrayal.

Toski said:
The story in AC1 was better told than AC2.
Agreed, they obviously tried to make it easier to get in and out of missions, but
in the process they delegated too much of the narrative to secondary status.

I didn't even know there were those video/picture montages of the people you assassinate
until almost half-way through the game which helped give you some backstory on the characters, but still wasn't much.

I don't think that everyone needed a big confession like the first game, but they definitely needed more of a build to the assassinations without the 3-step structure of the first game.

The problem was they developed the Glyphs stuff more than the main narrative and don't even require you to see Subject 16's video for story completion.
They tried to hit 3 different stories: Ezio's, Subject 16's, and a dash of Desmond's, only one of which they did a great job at.

They're still pumping out new info at the end of the game. Learn a lesson from movies. End of Act 2 is the deadline for new information beyond the ending climax.

They just need better writers for the main storylines. And I don't see a satisfying trilogy.
Needs 4 games, minimum to competently address all the stuff they've laid out.

Zzoram

What's interesting is genetic memory obviously ends at the point of conception. Also, Demond only seems to see his male lineage. Perhaps the next Assassin's Creed trilogy will have a female protagonist seeing her female ancestors?

jett

D-Member
You know, I totally didn't get the point of conception thing, I thought he was seeing things from Maria's point of view. :p Mindblown.

A female lead would be interesting, but I doubt it'd happen.
Speaking of females, I'm interested in Lucy's backstory.

As much as the manbabies probably want it to happen, I don't want her and Dez to hook up.
I love AC for their original writing and ballsy decisions, I'd hate to see it devolve to cliche romance.

There's so much stuff to address I'm worried it's going to end up like Lost.

Toski

Speaking of Lucy, does anyone know how she changed her clothes so fast, and why she had blood on them? That just seemed really strange how she was wearing a skirt and heels then suddenly changed to sneakers and jeans.

jett

D-Member
Toski: I guess she has a locker in the grounds of the facilities? :p Desmond was probably left alone for a few hours.

Buckethead said:
A female lead would be interesting, but I doubt it'd happen.
Speaking of females, I'm interested in Lucy's backstory.

As much as the manbabies probably want it to happen, I don't want her and Dez to hook up.
I love AC for their original writing and ballsy decisions, I'd hate to see it devolve to cliche romance.

You know, I was kind of expecting that Ezio would hook up with Rosa, and by the end he'd be married and with kids but still carrying on as an assassin, like his father.

Then again, I hadn't realized how the genetic memory thing worked at the time. :p

Lostconfused said:
It would be worse if they tried to explain everything. Thats why the storyline in MGS4 went to shit.
MGS4 went to shit because Kojima pulled a George Lucas and made stuff up as he went.
Same thing with Lost. Then they both just did ridiculous stuff to try to keep people interested.

I'm not saying explain "everything", but 2 more games would allow them to pace them more adequately and give them more breathing room and development time to address each facet of the story.

Ephemeris

This thread has been a great read. Without it I may have given the "alien" thing more thought. Oh btw,
I already linked my fellow Templars to the thread.

Toski said:
The story in AC1 was better told than AC2. The assassinations were weaker because I did not feel any reason for killing the targets other than getting revenge for Ezio. Part of why I liked AC1 was because you didn't know why you were killing your targets, and when they confessed to Altair they each had a different reason for what they were doing. The doctor in AC1 is probably the best assassination story in the whole series next to Al Mualim's betrayal.

This. Sooooo this. I mentioned in the main thread how I preferred the assassinations from the first game and you pretty much nailed why.

On my second playthrough tonight I thought of something interesting. After you step out of the Animus for the first time and you go around talking to everyone, Shaun says something. He starts to tell Desmond about how the Codex were found, where they are now, Marco Polo/Dante, etc.. and then volunteers Desmond to help him find out the truth behind his theory. They both look over at the Animus and Shaun says something like "Oh, we don't have time for that; we'll have to save it for another time." If you ask me, this is a possible set up for DLC in the future. Along with Sequence 12/13, setting up a mini scenario/expansion could justify the "long trip" ahead at the end of the game, giving them time to embark on these secondary adventures. Just a thought I had, especially after catching the bit about subtitles and Abstergo Animus :) I may just be reading too much into it.

Sobriquet

jett said:
Must've been...you gotta wonder how what video was recorded though, it seemed like someone was following adam and eve.
Well, it seemed to be set up like the rest of the game. You, the viewer (Desmond?) are seeing it in third person.

Was it ever explicitly stated that it was a video? I thought it was Subject 16's genetic memory, and that he was a direct descendant of Adam and Eve.

And yeah, someone was following them. My first reaction after watching The Truth, after having seen Minerva's speech was holy fuck she lied. It appeared to me that humans (or whatever Adam and Eve are) were enslaved by Those Who Came Before, and Adam and Eve escaped.

I could be wrong, though. I did play a lot of late nights. :lol

Sobriquet said:
Well, it seemed to be set up like the rest of the game. You, the viewer (Desmond?) are seeing it in third person.

Was it ever explicitly stated that it was a video? I thought it was Subject 16's genetic memory, and that he was a direct descendant of Adam and Eve.

And yeah, someone was following them. My first reaction after watching The Truth, after having seen Minerva's speech was holy fuck she lied. It appeared to me that humans (or whatever Adam and Eve are) were enslaved by Those Who Came Before, and Adam and Eve escaped.

I could be wrong, though. I did play a lot of late nights. :lol

This is what I thought; Almost like the video was, as you said, just the Animus doing its thing. We see it in third person. I believe it was Subject 16's genetic memory, and he was able to document it via video feed and split it into parts, hacking the Animus to provide the next with the information.

Okay I just beat the game. And since I love crazy batshit insane twists more than M. Night Shyamalan, count me on the "that was some awesome shit" train.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Zzoram said:
What's interesting is genetic memory obviously ends at the point of conception. Also, Demond only seems to see his male lineage. Perhaps the next Assassin's Creed trilogy will have a female protagonist seeing her female ancestors?
Explain this to me: why does genetic memory end at the point of conception? I understand the idea that it is tracking Desmond's direct ancestors, so a genetic memory for the conceived baby should be available, but why does it necessarily end the memory for the extant ancestor?

I mean we very clearly see the game stop following Altair once his BABBY has been conceived inside Maria's uterus. But why?

Buckethead said:

:lol Lost hasn't even ended yet, I'm confident they'll execute it well and answer just enough to be satisfactory.

Anyway, time to read up on this thread... pretty confused at this point.

duckroll

Y2Kev said:
Explain this to me: why does genetic memory end at the point of conception? I understand the idea that it is tracking Desmond's direct ancestors, so a genetic memory for the conceived baby should be available, but why does it necessarily end the memory for the extant ancestor?

I mean we very clearly see the game stop following Altair once his BABBY has been conceived inside Maria's uterus. But why?

Because that's all the memory data that Altair had in his sperm at the time? How can his memories after that be in the child?

Gribbix

Y2Kev said:

Since the memories are encoded into the DNA, the only memories that are passed on are those in the DNA at the time of conception. Altair had more than one child so it's possible to see some of his later memories via his other children's descendants, but only up to the point that the child was conceived.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
duckroll said:
Because that's all the memory data that Altair had in his sperm at the time? How can his memories after that be in the child?
If the genetic memories are transmitted sexually (which works), are we just supposing that Altair's sperm is the magic recorder of experience? Because genetically that doesn't work. Phenotypes are not recoded into genotypes.

I mean, I understand the entire idea of this game is ridiculous scientifically, but whatever.

edit: ^^ I gotcha.

duckroll

Y2Kev said:
If the genetic memories are transmitted sexually (which works), are we just supposing that Altair's sperm is the magic recorder of experience? Because genetically that doesn't work. Phenotypes are not recoded into genotypes.

I mean, I understand the entire idea of this game is ridiculous scientifically, but whatever.

Well it's not his sperm specifically. It's his DNA. The pseudoscience behind genetic memory relies on accepting the theory that specific experiences of a person's lifetime are encoded into his DNA. As such, this will be passed on genetically to all his children. In the case of that specific memory. It is the conception of the specific child Altair had who would eventually be the direct ancestor of Desmond. Ie: His great grandfather or whatever. That's why for him, the memories of Altair will end there.

Edit: Okay! ^^

Irish

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
On my second playthrough tonight I thought of something interesting. After you step out of the Animus for the first time and you go around talking to everyone, Shaun says something. He starts to tell Desmond about how the Codex were found, where they are now, Marco Polo/Dante, etc.. and then volunteers Desmond to help him find out the truth behind his theory. They both look over at the Animus and Shaun says something like "Oh, we don't have time for that; we'll have to save it for another time." If you ask me, this is a possible set up for DLC in the future. Along with Sequence 12/13, setting up a mini scenario/expansion could justify the "long trip" ahead at the end of the game, giving them time to embark on these secondary adventures. Just a thought I had, especially after catching the bit about subtitles and Abstergo Animus :) I may just be reading too much into it.

That mini (and I do mean 'mini') experience is already available. That stuff is detailed in the Auditore family crypt that you can unlock through Uplay.

Irish said:
That mini (and I do mean 'mini') experience is already available. That stuff is detailed in the Auditore family crypt that you can unlock through Uplay.

Ohh yea; You're right. Well regardless, there must be a difference in what Shaun seeks. My point was that, with some of the smaller bits of the story, "Sequences" could be developed as DLC and loaded into the Animus; allowing for some more insight into all of it. In my opinion, they should have done this with Bloodlines. They could make a much more superior product/storyline with the AC2 engine; the story was nonexistent. Only time will tell how things like this are handled; the wait for AC3 is going to be a long and tough one!

Okay, just finished it and I can say only one thing: wow!

After finished the first game I was already amazed at the mindfuck that the developers presented to you with the bloody wall. I spent weeks researching everything on it. There were the obvious 21-12-2012 dates and some herbrew text but I didn't think there was anything on it except for hints to the next game. When the next game wasn't anything I expected I began seeing those things on the wall as something entirely different, I just wasn't sure what exactly.

Now that we know it was Subject 16 that wrote this everything is perfectly understandable.

The second game ended strangely enough exactly as I hoped. The encounter with Minerva, or Athena in the Greek mythology was great. She told us that the gods of ancient greece and Rome are actually real and come in many forms. Breaking the fourth wall by warning us was something I got goosebumps for. I mean, a few times during playing the game I actually had a weird and obviously silly thought: would the game industry be chosen as the medium to inform us, mankind, of the secrets that our planet holds? It almost feels like Ubisoft is telling us something, the truth.

Now I did not get all the Truth glyphs, just could not find some, for example on the villa, so I watched The Truth on YouTube and I was freaked out. It was something I expected a little, but those two actually stealing the apple in that way and those being Adam and Eve, fuck! Ubisoft is not just making a game, but throwing every religion in the entire world on it's back and slapping it with it's ignorance. Great, great storytelling, if not only because The Truth lasts only a few seconds and it looks so great, Mirrors Edge-like buildings but great, just great.

As you may notice, I'm still a bit amazed by this ending. I mean, this game is breaking not only the fourth wall, but also the fifth and six wall and a lot of walls after it. The developers are questioning our existence, the meaning of life and the origin of our species through this medium and I think that is great.

Therefore a lot of people can tell me that Uncharted 2 or Modern Warfare 2 is the GOTY, but Assassins Creed 2 did something both games didn't; it made me think about mankind and life, the most important thing that we will ever be able to understand. No other game can do that. I bow to you, Ubi.

njean777

well i just beat the game today and i have some comments on it.

Now i got all the truth videos and im still lost, what is this suppose to be? I understand its adam and eve but why is this significant?

Now i understand that seeing minerva talking to you and telling you that the gods were real people, that was amazing. I never expected a game to ever go this far in a story line. Im amazed at the balls ubisoft grew through this game. Basically stating that every religion is a lie. AMAZING i thought to myself. Finally a game that makes people think and not just hand holds you through the whole game.

Last point is i thought it was kinda sad that she just outright told Ezio that he was a pawn, kinda made me feel pissed because it just basically dropped him from the story in about 2 seconds. After playing his character for 25 hours i wanted his arc to feel complete, at least she could have told him something. Thats really the only gripe i had about the game but none the less this game has just stole GOTY for me.

Subject 16 mentioned he kept experiencing death in a lot of ways, right? How was that possible? Was he just talking about desynchronization or actual death-death? Because there's no way that he could experience any of his ancestors' deaths as their memories need to end when a child is conceived.

jett

D-Member
Heh, playing as Altair blew my mind more than the proper ending. The game just dropped way too many hints about which direction they were going with the plot.

MechaX

Just finished the game...

Yeah... "What. The. Fuck." was pretty much the main thing going through my mind as well. Even with the warnings of the ending being Xenogears written by Dan Brown, I still did not see any of this coming.

jett

D-Member
MechaX said:
Just finished the game...

Yeah... "What. The. Fuck." was pretty much the main thing going through my mind as well. Even with the warnings of the ending being Xenogears written by Dan Brown, I still did not see any of this coming.

I'm guessing you didn't play AC1 and/or didn't bother doing any of the glyph puzzles. :p

MechaX

jett said:
I'm guessing you didn't play AC1 and/or didn't bother doing any of the glyph puzzles. :p

Yeah, I never did play AC1 and I only looked at the Truth video on youtube after I posted the comment.

jett said:
Heh, playing as Altair blew my mind more than the proper ending. The game just dropped way too many hints about which direction they were going with the plot.

I agree man. I'm just curious what insight you picked up from that bit of gameplay? If anyone else had any interesting thoughts/ideas, I think it's a very important clue as to the direction of the story.

EDIT: Also, I wanted to give anyone interested a heads up; I just caught this really cool documentary on History channel called "Ancient Aliens". Very interesting perspective of the Ancient world and possible ET influence. Though AC2 lore doesn't consider "Those Who Came Before" as Aliens, it's still very similar to what this documentary addresses.

I was thinking about something btw. We know that the St. Pietro (St. Pete?) church is built approx. on the grave of Petrus, hence the name. You enter the Vault through the (unfinished) Sistine Chapel, there is a small walk through some hallway, then there is the circular room, then there is the opening of the actual vault. Could it be that the Vault actually is beneath the St. Pietro and that the so-called grave of Petrus really is the Vault?

Plasma

Banned
Completed it last night, still trying to get my head around the ending.

Was appropriate that Desmond says "What the Fuck" right at the end because that is exactly how I felt.

JCtheMC

Finished it last night, i think it took me a good 30+ hours, but i have no idea where to check. Actually caught most of the collectibles ('cept for 75 of the feathers) while playing through the story - I'm amazed how well they tied in collecting to the main game, instead of it just being a bit of tacked on gameplay. I had a great time wandering around the historic buildings looking for glyphs and playing the tombs for Altair's Armor as soon as another one opened up. I was somewhat disappointed at the first part of Rome section, felt much too linear compared to the rest of the game. Also not actually killing Borgia makes me a miffed panda.

Plasma said:
Was appropriate that Desmond says "What the Fuck" right at the end because that is exactly how I felt.

This. I watched the video of The Truth right after, and i was even more confused. Reading this thread and the AC Wikia is helping me straighten things out, because the story is confusing as hell the way the game tells it. What Ubisoft is doing with this franchise and how they use world history to tell the story is amazing though. This is like The Da Vinci Code on seven kinds of drugs.

I really do hope that Ubi decides to make some kind of story synopsis in the form of a short film. When i go into AC3 i'd like to be more clear about what's going on, and not just because i've spent hours on the internet reading. To be honest, i just tried to add a little synopsis to this reply, and i'm already confused about what happened after Adam and Eve tried to leave "Eden". How Exactly did we go from Eden to the conflict between the Templars and the Assassins? And why would it be bad to end all world religion (which is basically one of the things the Templars are after).

Edit: Counter says 22 hours but i'm pretty sure that's way off.

Also, i've signed into Uplay and apparently there's a bunch of free stuff including a Monteriggioni tomb. Woot. Also i haven't played the Forli and Florence sections after Memory Sequence 11, so there's still a bunch of stuff left for my second playthrough. Plus some great DLC down the line, hopefully. Woot!

jett

D-Member
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I agree man. I'm just curious what insight you picked up from that bit of gameplay? If anyone else had any interesting thoughts/ideas, I think it's a very important clue as to the direction of the story.

EDIT: Also, I wanted to give anyone interested a heads up; I just caught this really cool documentary on History channel called "Ancient Aliens". Very interesting perspective of the Ancient world and possible ET influence. Though AC2 lore doesn't consider "Those Who Came Before" as Aliens, it's still very similar to what this documentary addresses.

Well one is that the genetic memory ends once conception of the next ancestor in line begins. Explains why we couldn't have seen the entire life of Ezio, and why we won't have any real conclusion to the ancestor-part storyline in any AC ever. :p

And two that Desmond's mind is beginning to learn how to access his genetic memories from outside the Animus. I'm sure this will definitely play a big part in the next one.

Elios83

Just finished the game, I think it's the best I've played this year along with Uncharted 2.
The story is quite fascinating and for once it seems it was all planned since the beginning of the series so they really have a whole story to tell, they're not just adding crap to continue on making games.

So basically from what I've understood, there was an ancient race of 'gods' on the earth before humanity existed. They created humans and they co-lived in peace for a certain period. Humans were created to obey to these 'gods', pieces of Eden are the tools which the 'gods' used to control humans (in the game there is this theory that humans have special neuro-cells which respond only to the fruits of Eden).
But Adam and Eve stole a fruit of Eden and freed humanity from the gods' control. A war started but while both 'gods' and humans' were busy fighting each other a natural catostrophe happened and a huge sun flare almost erased all life from earth.
But both gods and humans managed to survive and rebuild the world. The gods left a warning to future generations about a new incoming castrophe destined to happen 'in present day'. That message seems to be intentionally destined to Desmond, with Ezio one of his ancestors being a prophet/tool.
At this point it's clear that the main problem isn't about the templars and their will to control humans using the eden's artifacts (like it seemed it was the case at the end of the first game) but to prevent a new catostrophe. The game clearly hints that this catostrophe is related to the Mayan 12 21 2012 end of the world theory which might happen through the reversal of geomagnetic field.
Desmond must finds these temples built at the time of the first catastrophe to protect gods/humans from the fire to possibly save the world again.

Now of course the story has left me with a few questions. These 'gods' don't seem to be aliens at all (sorry UFO fans :D), they're clearly intended to be linked to the ancient roman/greek mythology type of god. It's not clear if these gods are now dead or if they have left the planet by present day (or if they have left the plaent in the sense they're dead). But more importantly if they can see the future, if they can see that Desmond will end up looking at his genetic memories and find about Ezio and the prophecy they left to him, it means that everything was predestined to happen even them leaving a prophecy, that they can very well see how everything's going to end, so in this sense, they're guiding Desmond to what is already destined to happen in the future too.
The usual doubts/inconsistencies related to time travel stories btw ;)

Btw I think that with the inevitable AC3 they should cover the french revolution and the following napoleonic empire era.

jett

D-Member
There obviously is more to the Animus/DNA memory than just reliving past experiences. I do not believe that was a recording from 500 years ago, I believe the Minerva AI linked/hacked directly into Desmond's Animus.

Then again I'm a fairly nonbeliever of predestination, fiction or not. :p

jett said:
I do not believe that was a recording from 500 years ago, I believe the Minerva AI linked/hacked directly into Desmond's Animus.
Well that is just baseless speculation. And Desmond already relived Altair's past without the use of the animus.

Edit: Unless you go with the concept that none of Desmond's experience can be trusted because the animus might have altered them and that his reality might not be real at all. But that would make things even worse.

jett

D-Member
Lostconfused said:
Well that is just baseless speculation. And Desmond already relived Altair's past without the use of the animus.

Edit: Unless you go with the concept that none of Desmond's experience can be trusted because the animus might have altered them and that his reality might not be real at all. But that would make things even worse.

It is baseless speculation I guess, but the mere idea that these uberhumans could predict any and all future events would utterly bury the franchise's plot for me. I want to believe the memory Desmond was experiencing was altered when Minerva's AI came into the picture. :p

jett said:
It is baseless speculation I guess, but the mere idea that these uberhumans could predict any and all future events would utterly bury the franchise's plot for me.
Why? Anyone capable of thinking can predict future events and prepare for them. Its pretty easy to come up with an explanation for the message that doesn't involve actually knowing the future. Clearly the ones that came before know how exactly how the human mind works. So they could potentially predict what would happen to the assassin blood line and encode a message in it that would play out to anyone that was observing it as if the message was meant directly for them.

Metiphis

In the next game you'll be scaling skyscrapers for viewpoints and diving into dumpsters instead of hay. Think about it.

Top Bottom