• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed 2 - Spoiler Thread (Discuss all plot and story here)

bridegur

The climbing in this game is so inconsistent. You can climb and run up all kinds of buildings, but a two-foot rise in the grass out in the fields can't be scaled.

JCtheMC

I've been doing some Googling, and although i couldn't find the Auditore family, i did find a wiki article on a Palazzo that was built by the Mozzi family, which Maria supposedly is part of. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palazzo_Mozzi
Also, in her database entry it is mentioned her diary is on display at a gallery in Florence, and that gallery actually exists. I've looked at their site briefly, but couldn't find any mention of the diary, but to be honest, i didn't look very hard. At that point my mind was so thoroughly blown already i didn't feel the need to keep digging.

I wish there was some sort of directors commentary for this game, pointing out where fact meets fiction.

squicken said:
That's lame. I guess you get the cape, but tracking down all those feathers isn't something I want to do.

Found a youtube of scene with Ezio's Mother. Such a lame payoff. I thought you would get to see whatever the little brother was working on or something. Or is the cape made of feathers?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YRQ-lRkCsg

The cape is the darkest black that matches the Altair armor, so it's safe to assume that all the black feathers were used to make it.

I don't mind too much. It would have been awesome of 100 feathers got you a mini-flying machine so you can glide whenever you wanted, though.

ethelred

I finished the game today, and the story... oh my god. :lol

There aren't enough :lol faces in the world. Dan Brown can rest easy tonight.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wow, I just finished the game and thought I fell into a Star Trek episode.

This was what they had in mind back in 2007? I mean, really?

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
ethelred said:
I finished the game today, and the story... oh my god. :lol

There aren't enough :lol faces in the world. Dan Brown can rest easy tonight.

No offense, Ethel, but Dan Brown is a damned hack.

I don't know if any of you have ever heard of a radio program called Coast to Coast AM. It's a radio show that air at midnight cst. It covers all sort of things. It's main focus has been on UFOs, and secret government conspiracies. A lot of what the game story talks about is stuff you'd here on this show. In fact, they've spoken in depth about Tesla's theory of transporting electricity wirelessly, and how big corporate entities conspired against him. There have been other shows about lost civilations, far advanced than we are now. I don't know if it's really all that factual, but it's pretty entertaining.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Beat it tonight. Really enjoyed the gameplay. Not sure about the story. I like things about it. But, there are so many questions. I haven't read through this thread yet. I'm expecting there still to be a lot of questions and it'll make waiting for the third game hard.

ethelred

Vilix said:

He sure is. But he looks like a fucking master of his craft when held against the insane stupidity of the Assassin's Creed storyline. I meant he's probably resting a bit easier knowing people are actually discussing the intricacies of this drivel, because it means there'll be a market for his dreck for a long time to come.

And to think that some of the people in this thread make fun of the stories in Japanese RPGs. :lol

ethelred said:
He sure is. But he looks like a fucking master of his craft when held against the insane stupidity of the Assassin's Creed storyline. I meant he's probably resting a bit easier knowing people are actually discussing the intricacies of this drivel, because it means there'll be a market for his dreck for a long time to come.

And to think that some of the people in this thread make fun of the stories in Japanese RPGs. :lol

Japanese RPGs don't have stories.

duckroll

ethelred said:

I dunno, I personally enjoy what AC does way more than Dan Brown's writing. The problem with a conspiracy novel or movie is that you're basically subjected to the mercy of the pacing and narrative of the author's insane mechanisms. So even though I might feel it's interesting or cool for "Lol Jesus was actually using alien technology" or "what if the entire history of the world was a war between good and evil", I might not particularly like a story which is built around discovering those elements as the focus.

The reason why I enjoy the Xeno games and AC games so much is because the main storyline and narrative style/setting of the games and the conspiracy mindfuck crap are sort of complementary of each other. They both co-exist and support each other without the conspiracy stuff being a focus. With Xeno it's mostly about scifi, aliens, giant robots, etc. In AC it's about period action with an assassin. There's political intrigue, historical references, lots of stabbing people in faces, etc. These all make the games really enjoyable and at the same time on the SIDE I can go "lol wow this game sez Jesus was some dude with special powers" or "ROFL Tesla and Edison WHAT and WUT!" and so on.

So I think in a way, I can say that I enjoy stuff like this in a more casual and popcorn way, littered around as parts of the background story and little references, but I would not enjoy it as a focus of the narrative and as the main selling point of the game because then it would sort of not interest me as much because there's nothing else which supports it and makes it cool enough for me to bother.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
ethelred said:

You misunderstood, chief. When I said he's a hack I meant he's a plagiarizer IMHO. But, I don't wanna derail the thread. I was just making an observation based on my experience with this writings.

jett

D-Member
duckroll said:
I dunno, I personally enjoy what AC does way more than Dan Brown's writing. The problem with a conspiracy novel or movie is that you're basically subjected to the mercy of the pacing and narrative of the author's insane mechanisms. So even though I might feel it's interesting or cool for "Lol Jesus was actually using alien technology" or "what if the entire history of the world was a war between good and evil", I might not particularly like a story which is built around discovering those elements as the focus.

The reason why I enjoy the Xeno games and AC games so much is because the main storyline and narrative style/setting of the games and the conspiracy mindfuck crap are sort of complementary of each other. They both co-exist and support each other without the conspiracy stuff being a focus. With Xeno it's mostly about scifi, aliens, giant robots, etc. In AC it's about period action with an assassin. There's political intrigue, historical references, lots of stabbing people in faces, etc. These all make the games really enjoyable and at the same time on the SIDE I can go "lol wow this game sez Jesus was some dude with special powers" or "ROFL Tesla and Edison WHAT and WUT!" and so on.

So I think in a way, I can say that I enjoy stuff like this in a more casual and popcorn way, littered around as parts of the background story and little references, but I would not enjoy it as a focus of the narrative and as the main selling point of the game because then it would sort of not interest me as much because there's nothing else which supports it and makes it cool enough for me to bother.

This, and also if you have played both games you really should've seen something like this coming. :p

Ridley327

Yeah, AC1 definitely hints at the Pieces of Eden being of an unusual origin, so it's not like it should have been that much of a shock when Minerva starts talking about how things are going down. The fourth-wall breaking was really awesome, though. :lol

Ridley327 said:
Yeah, AC1 definitely hints at the Pieces of Eden being of an unusual origin, so it's not like it should have been that much of a shock when Minerva starts talking about how things are going down. The fourth-wall breaking was really awesome, though. :lol
Well it didn't really break the fourth wall, just took a couple of swings at it with a sledge hammer.
Vilix said:
I don't know if any of you have ever heard of a radio program called Coast to Coast AM.
If you listened to this show none of the wacky conspiracy stuff in the game would be new to you.

Ridley327

As soon as Minerva started staring into the screen, I just about fell out of my chair. I absolutely love it when games pull off fourth-wall breaking that doesn't get too self-congratulatory.

Ridley327 said:
As soon as Minerva started staring into the screen, I just about fell out of my chair. I absolutely love it when games pull off fourth-wall breaking like that.
To actually break the 4th wall Minerva would have to start talking to the player instead of Desmond. Unless you mean she broke the 4th wall for Desmond in the game without actually breaking the 4th wall in reality. But instead makeing it hella meta.

kaskade

I thought that them talking to Desmond through Ezio was really awesome. Being able to kick some ass with the hidden blade as Desmond was fucking awesome too. I knew it was coming but doing so was so cool. I'm curious how they are going to work the next one. Maybe half past half present.

Ridley327

Lostconfused said:
To actually break the 4th wall Minerva would have to start talking to the player instead of Desmond. Unless you mean she broke the 4th wall for Desmond in the game without actually breaking the 4th wall in reality. But instead makeing it hella meta.

I think that's what it was going for and is actually pretty similar to how MGS2 handled it. Well, besides the drastic reduction of dialogue needed to get there. :D

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Lostconfused said:
If you listened to this show none of the wacky conspiracy stuff in the game would be new to you.

No, it doesn't seem new to me at all. Some of the things Subject 16 was saying in the glyphs sounded quite familiar. This is going to sound bizarre, but I wouldn't be surprised if Ubisoft had used some source material, or expert, for their story that Premiere Radio Network (Coast to Coast AM) had once used for one of its stories.

JWong

Banned
The only part that was very clear to me.

"What the fuck?"

This is like a Stargate thing going on. Perhaps they were Goa'uld.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
In the future, a descendant of Desmond will use Animus 3.0 to look back at their great ancestor who apparently saved the world from Templars and 2012, but just find a man laying on a bed for 20 hours and then sitting in a chair for another 30.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Here's how I would end AC3:

Desmond and Co. discover all the details, defeat Abstergo, use the tech to stop the sunflare. They form the new assassin group to safeguard the pieces of Eden, etc. Credits start to roll, happy ending, the world lives on without the power of the pieces of Eden influencing it, and all is well with singing birds, etc.

Then after the credits are done rolling, everything evaporates into a nifty special effect, and you are in first person view. You are seeing through the eyes of someone who is meditating in the middle of an utterly devastated landscape with a few people standing around you looking like disciples. You stand up, the screen fades away.

You were reliving the memories of Desmond, who was reliving the memories of his ancestor, so you could find the pieces of Eden in a ravaged world where humanity failed to stop the "next" solar flare thousands of years after Desmond's time, so the world could be rebuilt.

Fin:D

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Linkified said:
So we've had Crusades, Renaissance, they can't go futher back than the Crusades becuase Altair effectivly started the knowledge being fed back to Desmond.

So we have:-

• Guy Fawkes England(1570 - 1606) time
  • French Revolution(1789 - 1799) time
  • American Wild West in general(19th Century)time
  • American Civil War(1861 - 1865)time.
  • World War 2(1939 - 1945)time.

I think they could do great games based on those time periods. Japan/China/East would be interested but if they did that then your either going to be setting it before the Crusades then your going to be removing the hidden gun.

Just my take on it.
You failed history, didn't you?

Minamu

I must've been tired, I didn't notice the 4th wall breaking AT ALL :lol Cool stuff though. I want a shit ton more Desmond story next time. I absolutely love duckroll's AC3 idea a few pages back. Desmond's present day seems like the most logical choice for a locale, without turning into Crackdown, matrix jumping between scyscrapers. Though I wouldn't mind that either :D

Wanna bet that Desmond's future looks similar to Mirror's Edge? :lol

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Nah present would be stupid. It's good only if you have Desmond and co. looking for vaults in the present and making them like the PoP-style environments of AC2. The rest should be in the past.

Also, I would allow the player to disconnect from the Animus willingly, for bonus content and whatever, so that people who like that part of the game can also go through it for extra content when they want, more character development, etc.

I want Greece, Rome, or Atlantis (you can still have flying machines, hidden gun, etc., in Atlantis)!:D

Also, any of the gadgets in AC2 are actually based on old secrets, so it would be fine if they existed even in the past before AC1.

Minamu said:
I must've been tired, I didn't notice the 4th wall breaking AT ALL :lol Cool stuff though. I want a shit ton more Desmond story next time. I absolutely love duckroll's AC3 idea a few pages back. Desmond's present day seems like the most logical choice for a locale, without turning into Crackdown, matrix jumping between scyscrapers. Though I wouldn't mind that either :D

Wanna bet that Desmond's future looks similar to Mirror's Edge? :lol

I don't think so. You can see outside the windows and it looks like Rome. Actually, Desmond and co. are definitly in Italy (all signs in Abstergo in the parking-lot are in Italian, and the buildings outside the hideout are like in Ezio's Italy).

Ether_Snake said:

Desmond and Co. discover all the details, defeat Abstergo, use the tech to stop the sunflare. They form the new assassin group to safeguard the pieces of Eden, etc. Credits start to roll, happy ending, the world lives on without the power of the pieces of Eden influencing it, and all is well with singing birds, etc.

Then after the credits are done rolling, everything evaporates into a nifty special effect, and you are in first person view. You are seeing through the eyes of someone who is meditating in the middle of an utterly devastated landscape with a few people standing around you looking like disciples. You stand up, the screen fades away.

You were reliving the memories of Desmond, who was reliving the memories of his ancestor, so you could find the pieces of Eden in a ravaged world where humanity failed to stop the "next" solar flare thousands of years after Desmond's time, so the world could be rebuilt.

Sign me up for this mindfuck Day 1.

Minamu

Ether_Snake said:
I don't think so. You can see outside the windows and it looks like Rome. Actually, Desmond and co. are definitly in Italy (all signs in Abstergo in the parking-lot are in Italian, and the buildings outside the hideout are like in Ezio's Italy).
True, 2012 isn't that far into the future really :) However, we don't really know what's going on in their reality (or exacty where they are).

kaskade

I just read that the year desmond was captured was 2012 and now there's this whole solar flare stuff. I didn't think it would be going in that direction.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
man, this really makes ac3 anticipated. it's pretty a cliffhanger.

i wonder how much gameplay will be in modern times next game.

Ether_Snake said:

You were reliving the memories of Desmond, who was reliving the memories of his ancestor, so you could find the pieces of Eden in a ravaged world where humanity failed to stop the "next" solar flare thousands of years after Desmond's time, so the world could be rebuilt. so many directions to go with the story.

this really does sound awesome. the game has so much potential.

JCtheMC

Ether_Snake said:

Awesome Mindfuck

SPOILARZ!

I agree, that would be quite awesome. I wonder how much of the story they will wrap up, and how much is left open when AC3 is done. Is Desmond's storyline confirmed to be a trilogy?

Irish

I wonder if they will allow themselves room to move on to a different subject from a different line of Assassin's. (Desmonds family is in what I like to call the "Eagle" line.)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Well it seems like a certainty that Desmond and co. will have to get the piece of eden and such to stop the flare, while the templars (who might not be aware of the catastrophe, a bit of a parrallel with how TWCB were not paying attention when it happened in their time) are just trying to take over mankind's future. We can imagine the templars will be defeated and the solar flare stopped.

They could destroy any of the pieces of eden or some such too, or it will be a "we avoided the solar flare, but must now prevent others from using the pieces of eden". I don't see how the story could continue really. That would be a bit lame, the story would get too complex by then and end in an MGS-clusterfuck. I say after AC3, reboot the series. Start from a clean slate. Same overall theme, but a whole new story.

Korey

I'm not sure I like where I *think* they're going with the story. I mean, the first two games are all about your assassin clan taking down the Templars, a secret organization that have run the governments of the world throughout history, including the ancient locales you visit as Altair and Ezio.

And then at the end of AC2, Lucy's all: "the Templars aren't our our biggest threat, not by a longshot. Our biggest threat is the sun. The earth's magnetic field is weakening. A strong flare could flip the poles and cause a geomagnetic reversal."

Err. kind of a disconnect, you know? And also it seems like you just trivialized the accomplishments of the first two games. To add to this, I couldn't care less if this fictional version of earth gets cooked by the sun. What I am invested in (after playing the first two games) is taking down the templars once and for all, and i hope the third game focuses on that instead of the impending geomagnetic pole reversal.

Also, expand on The Truth. It's a shame that Minerva started going into solar flares instead of expanding more on the origin of humans and what subject 16 was trying to tell us. The third game could focus on exposing the lie. What would happen if the truth was revealed to all of humankind...what would the effects be? Would there be a huge revolt? What would happen to religion, etc.

That's just my opinion. Although really, I have no idea what the third game is going to be like or where it will take place.

It definitely was a bit of a disconnect, insofar as that it`s something there isn`t even really a hint to. But there are plenty of big gaping story issues to help figure that out later though; the origin and purpose of the Templars, for instance.

As for the name thing; I dunno; it seems pretty trivial to me that the first civilization could have coded such a message to speak to the target in wildcard terms; that way they wouldn`t need to know the persons name at all. It`s literally a case of hit the place in memory where your name is. How they could have forecasted the message is a more troubling thought.

duckroll said:
You're making the scene sound far less awesome than it it. Let's try again.

You beat up the Pope with your bare hands, in an ancient technological chamber hidden under the Vatican, while he denounces his own religion and takes about taking power from God himself.

The absurdity of the scenario reminded me of the final battle againtst Solidus in MGS2...

Good idea. Poorly executed.

The rushed ending kinda ruined the ending for me... ("Corrupted data"? Bullshit. )

It's epic when you realise that you're next target is now the most important man in the face or earth... And having Rome as a complete city would have been glorious.

By the way, just to clarify... The Truth video seemed to belong to the Subject 12, not 16 as someone said before...

Besides, there's something I've been wondering...

Lucy kept saying that 16 got obsessed with the Renaissance,

She knew that Desmond had an ancestor in that period...

When we first enter the old animus in the game, there seems to be ADN coincidences between Subjects 16 and 17....

So...

¿Maybe 16 ancestor appears in the game? Leonardo? Borgia?

Also, WTF at Maquiavelo's liitle relevance to the plot.

jett

D-Member
It's subject 16's.

And Machiavelli is the main evidence that a fuckbunch of content has been cut to make the launch date. I remember Patrice Desilets making a big deal about how you would be helped by DaVinci and Machiavelli throughout the course of the game...and well the guy doesn't help you ever. :p

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Korey said:
I'm not sure I like where I *think* they're going with the story. I mean, the first two games are all about your assassin clan taking down the Templars, a secret organization that have run the governments of the world throughout history, including the ancient locales you visit as Altair and Ezio.

And then at the end of AC2, Lucy's all: "the Templars aren't our our biggest threat, not by a longshot. Our biggest threat is the sun. The earth's magnetic field is weakening. A strong flare could flip the poles and cause a geomagnetic reversal."

Err. kind of a disconnect, you know? And also it seems like you just trivialized the accomplishments of the first two games. To add to this, I couldn't care less if this fictional version of earth gets cooked by the sun. What I am invested in (after playing the first two games) is taking down the templars once and for all, and i hope the third game focuses on that instead of the impending geomagnetic pole reversal.

Also, expand on The Truth. It's a shame that Minerva started going into solar flares instead of expanding more on the origin of humans and what subject 16 was trying to tell us. The third game could focus on exposing the lie. What would happen if the truth was revealed to all of humankind...what would the effects be? Would there be a huge revolt? What would happen to religion, etc.

That's just my opinion. Although really, I have no idea what the third game is going to be like or where it will take place.

Minerva couldn't have elaborated on the The Truth, because the game does not require you to uncover the truth before your endgame.

Vilix said:

I don't know if any of you have ever heard of a radio program called Coast to Coast AM. It's a radio show that air at midnight cst. It covers all sort of things. It's main focus has been on UFOs, and secret government conspiracies. A lot of what the game story talks about is stuff you'd here on this show. In fact, they've spoken in depth about Tesla's theory of transporting electricity wirelessly, and how big corporate entities conspired against him. There have been other shows about lost civilations, far advanced than we are now. I don't know if it's really all that factual, but it's pretty entertaining.

Listen to this show almost every night. Great show and never ceases to lose my interest. I personally see nothing wrong with stories like this and I think, sometimes, it's just too far-fetched/unbelievable for people. I can see how someone who doesn't think about these out-there concepts would find the story laughable.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Young Nobleman Of Sadness said:
The rushed ending kinda ruined the ending for me... ("Corrupted data"? Bullshit. )

Replace "Corrupted Data" with "Upcoming DLC". I'm sure Segments 12 and 13 are where we'll see more of Machiavelli as well.

BioNut

Banned
Maybe 'the ones that came before" were Lumerians/Atlantians?

The lore goes that over a few million years ago Lumeria was a continent somewhere in the Pacific and Atlantis was its island counter part in the Atlantic. These continents were special in that they sat atop a large pocket of some special type of gas. This gas allowed the two cultures to become highly advanced very quickly. The rest of world lacked this gas so most of these Lumerians/atlantians never ventured to "mainlands".

Humanity was living on the mainland though. There have been toys found in Egyptian crypts that depict flying machines like modern day fighter craft. There are also descriptions of similar occurrences in ancient Sumerian and Indian writings. In fact, one of the oldest written records in India describes something eerily similar to an atomic bomb blast.

Anyways, as the story goes Lumeria used too much of the gas too quickly and the huge cavity in the earth collapsed the the continent into the sea. The only thing left behind were are few islands in the pacific (Phillipeans).

Atlanteans fearful they would fall to the same fate halted their wanton use of the gas. Due to this their civilization lasted much longer but eventually they too succumbed to the sea.

I probably got some of the legend wrong but that's the gist of it I think.

mr afghan jones

Neo Member
Dotn think they would go full on Desmond for 3, he is such a faceless goon, you need someone with the flair of Ezio to really carry the story along. Without that personal story of " Hello, my name is Ezio Auditore, you killa my father, prepare to die." it just loses something. Desmonds struggle is just much less affecting.

If they were gonna go full on Desmond for AC3 I would have had him get it together with Lucy and then have her die either quite early in AC3 or at the end of AC2. Give it all that more personal edge.

duckroll

ScrabbleBanshee said:
I think we've had enough of the swordplay formula, I don't know where they can go from here that isn't more of the same.

It's easy. AC -> AC2 went from hidden blade to dual hidden blades. AC3 should finally allow actual dual wielding. :D

Rad Agast

jett said:
It cannot be the Roman Empire, it cannot be anything from before Altair. In the Assassin Guild of Al Mualan having children was prohibited, Altair's parents couldn't have been assassins. Desmond's Assassin lineage starts with Altair.

Ether_Snake said:
But Al Mualan's guild was not the first assassin "guild". We don't know who was the father of Altair either. We don't know his back story nor that of the guild. They can go back in time if they wanted to. It's easy to retcon.

I know this is nit picking but it's Al Mualim (The Teacher/Instructor in Arabic). I don't remember that codex page well but if I'm not mistaken, he was against having the parents be with the children and showing them love/care since that would soften them or some thing to that effect.

Top Bottom