• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At the box office: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Avengers vs TDKR arguments really have to be put on hold this weekend, TDKR took a big hit this weekend due to the tragic events that took place, and to rub the fact that Avengers made more money in people's faces is just inappropriate.

sharbhund

What utter, utter nonsense. If that was even remotely true these things should be in black or white. Did project 'A' make a profit to warrant a sequel/continuation? If the answer is yes then that is where the conversation should start and stop.

It's a numbers game for some people. Cheering on a film's box office performance like it's a football score and it's getting worse.

Was someone else posting from your account on Friday?

Current midnight total for TDKR is now being reported at $30.64m which makes it the second best midnight opening ever after Harry Potter 7.5 and ahead of Twilight.., whatever the fuck it was.

I knew that it would do better than $25m.

Some super early predictions have TDKR coming in at $85m for Friday which would include the midnight screening numbers.

That would make it the second highest single day at the box office behind Harry Potter 7.5 and ahead of The Avengers' $80m.

If you knew what you were talking about, which you clearly don't, that figure at least puts it at the same level as The Avengers was at this point in it's opening.

If early numbers are to be believed then TDKR is actually ever so slightly ahead of The Avengers.

Of course that's assuming that you know what you're talking about. And you don't. Not even a little.

Hero

I personally thought Avengers was a 1.5/5 film, just stupid summer fun, instantly forgettable.

If you thought Avengers was a 1.5 out of 5 then it's pretty obvious you haven't seen many movies and as such, no one should be taking into account your opinion in a serious manner.

If you thought Avengers was a 1.5 out of 5 then it's pretty obvious you haven't seen many movies and as such, no one should be taking into account your opinion in a serious manner.

It's not a 1.5/5 certainly, but from my perspective it was a solid super hero movie, perhaps not as good as First Class, Bat Begins or even Iron. But good nonetheless. It's quite the task to make an ensemble cast like that workable. And hell, these are superhero movies. It's hard to make them good in the first place. It's a sensitive task making guys in rubber suits work on screen.

I cheered when Tim Burtons latest shit sandwich flopped. I made a camp-fire and danced around it like wild indians

LOL
I'm sorry, (even if I get banned) but what loser! I'm sure that made your entire week (which is even sadder).

People seemingly being invested in more than when Bin Laden was killed or when 9/11 happened.
Absolutely pathetic how people are so vested in how much a film makes, like there entire life is depended on if a movie exceeds expectations by a few percentages or goes slightly below it.

LOL
I'm sorry, (even if I get banned) but what loser! I'm sure that made your entire week (which is even sadder).

People seemingly being invested in more than when Bin Laden was killed or when 9/11 happened.
Absolutely pathetic how people are so vested in how much a film makes, like there entire life is depended on if a movie exceeds expectations by a few percentages or goes slightly below it.

I mean... you came into a thread about box office numbers. Did you expect to come across people who are disinterested in box office numbers?

DarkFlow

Banned
The Avengers vs TDKR arguments really have to be put on hold this weekend, TDKR took a big hit this weekend due to the tragic events that took place, and to rub the fact that Avengers made more money in people's faces is just inappropriate.
So salty. People have already called you on your shit in the BO thread, keep pushing that agenda.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Yeah the Avengers blu-ray is going to be just as big an event for me as the theatrical release itself. I'm pretty hyped!

LOL

So since you're the expert would you mind telling us how invested he or anyone else in this thread was in those events for you to make such a stupid claim? Does making a few posts on a forum (which by the looks were for shits and giggles) really make someone all that invested in the subject?

I'm not really a fan of fanboys or the stuff i post but i find your post to be dumber/more annoying than even the worst fanboy drivel i have read.

KillGore

Is this what people will be using for an excuse?

I guess we'll forget that The Dark Knight earned that amount because of Ledger's death and Rises will be a big box-office hit because so many people watched TDK thanks to Ledger's death. If he wouldn't have died, then the extra people who went to watch it wouldn't even be interested in watching Rises because they didn't see TDK. I can do it too!

midonnay

Is this what people will be using for an excuse?

I guess we'll forget that The Dark Knight earned that amount because of Ledger's death and Rises will be a big box-office hit because so many people watched TDK thanks to Ledger's death. If he wouldn't have died, then the extra people who went to watch it wouldn't even be interested in watching Rises because they didn't see TDK. I can do it too!

heath ledger's death didn't make people scared to go to the movies.

As to the TDKR vs Avengers debate, I think Avengers better accomplishes what it sets out to do, but what it sets out to do isn't very compelling for me. It's a big, dumb action film with the faintest hint of any depth at all. It doesn't explore any themes, has no character arcs, and the character motivations are wafer thin, and completely rely on the previous films.

TDKR is, for me, the better film. It's more ambitious, attemps to explore interesting themes, and the characters have arcs that are built and created within the events of the movie.

Angry Fork

As to the TDKR vs Avengers debate, I think Avengers better accomplishes what it sets out to do, but what it sets out to do isn't very compelling for me. It's a big, dumb action film with the faintest hint of any depth at all. It doesn't explore any themes, has no character arcs, and the character motivations are wafer thin, and completely rely on the previous films.

TDKR is, for me, the better film. It's more ambitious, attemps to explore interesting themes, and the characters have arcs that are built and created within the events of the movie.

this

I really didn't care for Avengers, Hulk was great and Iron Man was alright but other than that I don't get the appeal. People who shit on Transformers but love Avengers make no sense to me, they're both the same thing but with Avengers having a couple decent characters to make it watchable.

I really didn't care for Avengers, Hulk was great and Iron Man was alright but other than that I don't get the appeal. People who shit on Transformers but love Avengers make no sense to me

jesus christ seriously? people now act like making a incredible fun movie while handling so many characters is easy. it's not.it got people laughing so loud in the cinema like i've never heard before and just moments later it was pretty epic and this is no easy achievement. comparing avengers to transformers is just an insult for everyone involved in making that movie.

TDKR tries to be more than just a fun movie and fails.

jesus christ seriously? people now act like making a incredible fun movie while handling so many characters is easy. it's not. comparing avengers to transformers is just an insult for everyone involved in making that movie.

TDKR tries to be more than just a fun movie and fails.

For you, but you already weren't that big of a fan of the series going in anyways.

Leonsito

i'm not saying it's a bad movie. but it's clearly the worst of the three nolan batmans.

And still better than any of the Marvel films by far, only Iron Man is near the Batman trilogy.

For me, the more time it passes, the more forgettable Avengers was, and the more interesting I find TDKR.

In the end I will buy both in Blu-ray, of course.

Quackula

People seem to forget that Whedon has made TWO films. One of which was a monster smash hit and the other was a bit of a disaster at the box office.

So at this point he's 1 for 1.

Man Serenity was a bit of a let down.

I wanted so much more from it.

Log4Girlz

this

I really didn't care for Avengers, Hulk was great and Iron Man was alright but other than that I don't get the appeal. People who shit on Transformers but love Avengers make no sense to me, they're both the same thing but with Avengers having a couple decent characters to make it watchable.

New Hope is just like Phantom Menace.

Some movies don't need to have depth to be great movies.

Avengers probably won't be one of those timeless works. It's CG will age. But the way the fights are framed, the way the camera flows fluidly from set piece to set piece, it screams of quality. It's not a deep story, the characters have limited development. But it doesn't hinder the experience. Because a deep story was not the point.

The point was capturing the formation of a superpowerful superhero team. That's going to need well choreographed destruction. Their focus was the right call.

Avengers probably won't be one of those timeless works. It's CG will age. But the way the fights are framed, the way the camera flows fluidly from set piece to set piece, it screams of quality. It's not a deep story, the characters have limited development. But it doesn't hinder the experience. Because a deep story was not the point.

The point was capturing the formation of a superpowerful superhero team. That's going to need well choreographed destruction. Their focus was the right call.

Finally, somebody gets it.

No one's asking for a deep story, just give us a little bit of emotional resonance, please.

Leonsito

Yeah, I think most people agree, but this is like gymnastics, you can choose to do an "easy" exercise and get a perfect score, or try to go for a more complicated one and not get a 10, or even a 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom