• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August 2016 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes September 8th

Opt1kon_

I'm really curious to see how the S is doing everywhere else for stores, because we haven't sold out of them anywhere. We had our burst of preorders, and then some initial interest beyond that, but it really hasn't been all that explosive. The reduced price models have helped more interest, but again, neither bundle has come close to selling out in any store within 200 miles of my home store without any replenishing shipments so far.

They've still had enough new hardware interest to most likely win out over the ps4 for the month in our stores.

Though there hasn't been any dip in ps4 momentum due to comments on the slim or anything. That's basically a non factor. Ps4 keeps trucking along. Just a matter of price saturation I think. New model at a lower price and the premium model will be interesting to see.

Was waiting for this before posting my predictions

[XB1] 195K
[PS4] 190K
[3DS] 166K
[WIU] 12K

donny2112

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but NPD has acquired EEDAR. EEDAR was doing most of the heavy lifting with the digital result stuff, so it makes sense for them to bring that in-house.

Vena

The 3DS (all models) has been sold out on Amazon for pretty much the entirety of the month at this point.

Pretty convinced at this point the the Xbox S has preached to the choir but hasn't had the same impact that the original 360 slim made.

You don't shave 10% of a product that is selling well after its first week of release.

Welfare

Pretty convinced at this point the the Xbox S has preached to the choir but hasn't had the same impact that the original 360 slim made.

You don't shave 10% of a product that is selling well after its first week of release.

That was Target's own sale day, Target Run Day. Everything was 10% off and Amazon price matched them.

That was Target's own sale day, Target Run Day. Everything was 10% off and Amazon price matched them.

Makes no difference. Why discount such a recently released product?

Not to mention that with basically a whole month of sales, the one S has barely scraped into the yearly top sellers at Amazon.

I feel that the Xbox S will comfortably win this month, but it's not going to be significantly larger than any other August.

Welfare

Not to mention that with basically a whole month of sales, the one S has barely scraped into the yearly top sellers at Amazon.

I feel that the Xbox S will comfortably win this month, but it's not going to be significantly larger than any other August.

Why would Target exclude something? EVERYTHING was 10% off. That makes no sense.

And the limited edition model only just made it into the top 100 on Amazon compared to the full 8 months everything else had. That is so bad.

donny2112

Makes no difference.

Amazon choosing to price match a competitor exactly makes the difference. They didn't discount it because it was an anchor on their stock. They discounted to match what a competitor was doing. Target discounted it 10%, because pretty much everything was discounted 10%. Amazon raised the price back as soon as the Target sale was complete. If they had dropped it for sales purposes, they wouldn't have raised it back when Target's sale was over.

Vena

Same reason they discounted the store-exclusive (with Walmart) N3DS Mario bundle that just came out? It was a store wide discount for a day, no item would be excluded because that makes zero sense for a promotional day.

This isn't a Bed, Bath & Beyond Coupon.

ps3ud0

Amazon choosing to price match a competitor exactly makes the difference. They didn't discount it because it was an anchor on their stock. They discounted to match what a competitor was doing. Target discounted it 10%, because pretty much everything was discounted 10%. Amazon raised the price back as soon as the Target sale was complete. If they had dropped it for sales purposes, they wouldn't have raised it back when Target's sale was over.
Out of curiosity do we know if Amazon price matched Target across their whole sale or just the XOS?

I wonder what triggers Amazon to price match if it wasnt an ubiquitous price match - I presume customers contact them regards competitor pricing...

ps3ud0 8)

Welfare

Out of curiosity do we know if Amazon price matched Target across their whole sale or just the XOS?

I wonder what triggers Amazon to price match if it wasnt an ubiquitous price match - I presume customers contact them regards competitor pricing...

ps3ud0 8)
PS4 was also price matched.

[XB1] 359K
[3DS] 185K
[PS4] 171K
[WIU] 22k

I'm expecting a blowout in favor of the XB1, for several reasons. Last month indicates to me, that despite the firesale, sales for the XB1 were subdued due to the Slim. I expect those sales to carry over into August. Just looking at the XB1S itself, I don't expect it to have as much of an increase compared to the 360S, simply due to market factors (notably, it's the second place console). However, the combination of sales being pushed into August, a small natural uptick in July to August sales for the XB1 and the launch of the Slim, I think the XB1 will have a fairly explosive month sales wise.

On the other hand, while I initially thought that NMS would help the PS4 considerably, the WoM for the title makes me think it won't do much aside from a short burst early on it's launch life (due to explosive sales). I'm thinking the PS4 will be up over July for that reason, but only marginally, given the likely otherwise July to August decline.

As for the 3DS, I expect it to be slightly down from last month since it only has had the new price for about 2 days of tracking, which I don't think will propel it past last month's numbers.

Like Nintendo with their third-party relationships, I put absolutely no effort behind my Wii U prediction.

donny2112

It should. If it wasn't for the absolute zero need for another 3DS in the household, at the moment, I might've picked one up on Sunday. If there's a good deal on one for Christmas, may still pick one up, anyways. This is the advantage of being at/near impulse buy territory with your price, Nintendo! :lol

Vena

It should. If it wasn't for the absolute zero need for another 3DS in the household, at the moment, I might've picked one up on Sunday. If there's a good deal on one for Christmas, may still pick one up, anyways. This is the advantage of being at/near impulse buy territory with your price, Nintendo! :lol

I expect the direct tomorrow to include that rumored price drop, it seems like the perfect time for it, and they are already or have already dropped(ing) the price on the 2DS and the regular N3DS. Also synergizes well with some bigger releases coming down the road and in Japan. MH:Stories would get a great boon from a price drop near/before its release, and we know how close-knit Nintendo and Capcom are on that brand at this point. If Nintendo is intent on supporting this platform into 2018, the price will have to come down anyway.

The N3DS bundle was an absolutely excellent price point, though, with an excellent game as incentive and its seemingly all but gone as far as I can tell from online and local store availability. Most stores seemed to have gotten pretty healthy shipments of it too with the thread on the sale reporting 5-8 per store.

Seems both MS and Nintendo have done some excellent pricing schemes for their hardware recently with the utility of the X1S (and, of course, all the Halo) at 299$ was/is absolutely killer imo (but of course, only for NA). I still think that the proposition that Microsoft put forth with the S caught Sony off-guard with the Slim, and I think we will see that show up with how the Holidays get marketed unless the Slim is like 199$.

You get the 2DS with game nearly for the price of two games. That's penetration.

allan-bh

MS said that Xbox One S 2TB was nearly sold out in U.S, so I expect a good increase in sales. unless the shipment was really low.

I expect the direct tomorrow to include that rumored price drop, it seems like the perfect time for it, and they are already or have already dropped(ing) the price on the 2DS and the regular N3DS. Also synergizes well with some bigger releases coming down the road and in Japan. MH:Stories would get a great boon from a price drop near/before its release, and we know how close-knit Nintendo and Capcom are on that brand at this point. If Nintendo is intent on supporting this platform into 2018, the price will have to come down anyway.

The N3DS bundle was an absolutely excellent price point, though, with an excellent game as incentive and its seemingly all but gone as far as I can tell from online and local store availability. Most stores seemed to have gotten pretty healthy shipments of it too with the thread on the sale reporting 5-8 per store.

Seems both MS and Nintendo have done some excellent pricing schemes for their hardware recently with the utility of the X1S (and, of course, all the Halo) at 299$ was/is absolutely killer imo (but of course, only for NA). I still think that the proposition that Microsoft put forth with the S caught Sony off-guard with the Slim, and I think we will see that show up with how the Holidays get marketed unless the Slim is like 199$.

I don't think it caught Sony off guard (it might have, hard to tell at this point, but I personally don't think so). However, I still think it was an absolutely brilliant move by MS to include 4k and UHD.

They pretty much bet that Sony isn't going to lower the price of the PS4 Slim past $299 or by a significant amount that they can't match due to Sony's advantage this gen.

So in the most likely scenario this fall when they have price parity, they get a couple extra features to market.

I just find it really hard to imagine any sort of scenario in which the PS4S is cheaper then the XB1S this holiday, even if the former might be cheaper to manufacture at this point.

allan-bh

I just find it really hard to imagine any sort of scenario in which the PS4S is cheaper then the XB1S this holiday, even if the former might be cheaper to manufacture at this point.

Considering how conservative Sony is being this gen with the confortable lead, probably PS4 Slim will remain at the same price ($299) in holidays, so I agree, MS will sell Xbox One S for $299 or drop the price to $279 (even lower if they want to be super agressive).

If Sony drop the price is guaranteed that MS will match, unless Sony make a crazy move ($199), what is highly unlikely.

Welfare

I don't think it caught Sony off guard (it might have, hard to tell at this point, but I personally don't think so). However, I still think it was an absolutely brilliant move by MS to include 4k and UHD.

They pretty much bet that Sony isn't going to lower the price of the PS4 Slim past $299 or by a significant amount that they can't match due to Sony's advantage this gen.

So in the most likely scenario this fall when they have price parity, they get a couple extra features to market.

Sony would absolutely want the PS4S to be cheaper come Black Friday/Christmas. At most MS will bundle in games and gift cards, I don't see a BF price cut unless the PS4S outsells the XB1S by a lot.

Sony want 20 million PS4's shipped this fiscal year, they will want everyone buying the S and the best way to do that in the holidays is to be cheaper than the competition.

allan-bh

Sony would absolutely want the PS4S to be cheaper come Black Friday/Christmas. At most MS will bundle in games and gift cards, I don't see a BF price cut unless the PS4S outsells the XB1S by a lot.

Sony want 20 million PS4's shipped this fiscal year, they will want everyone buying the S and the best way to do that in the holidays is to be cheaper than the competition.

Microsoft will not allow. PS4 is naturally more strong in the market, so they need at least price parity, even offering 4K and UHD Blu-Ray.

Vena

While true, I think the price disparity would have to be a lot larger in at least North America than just something like 50$, and I don't think Sony's going to go that aggressive considering how much they seem to love making money from this part of their business to help support the others. I say this because the X1S is the cheapest 4KBR player on the market and the Slim has no such offerings at all. When those TV deals kick in this holiday or "goes best with your TV" its going to be the X1S that's going to get leveraged, and I expect that to get leveraged hard.

The other side of the coin is that I don't think Sony can completely divorce the pricing schemes of the Neo from the Slim. If the gap is too small, no one wants to buy a Slim -> buy Neo insead, if the gap is too big, no one will want to buy a Slim -> too cheap, makes you think its cheap (also as noted they want money, and there's a limit on how low they can go and still be turning a profit on hardware). They'll want to price it in such a way as to make it appear appealing as a price alternative but also keep it from feeling "too cheap" while also making the Neo feel "premium".

/shrug

Microsoft will not allow. PS4 is naturally more strong in the market, so they need at least price parity, even offering 4K and UHD Blu-Ray.

Yea and that's what I really like about this move by MS. Worst case scenario for MS, Sony drops the price to $249 during BF but it's more likely it'll be $279 or $299, which MS can easily match.

They get UHD and 4k in their Slim without having to really worry that they're going to be undercut by Sony (as that's not what they've done this gen).

If you had an agenda you could say that the movie 4k is just a return of TVTVTV.
It will be interesting to see if added media functionality works out or if it's still just about the games and brand.
In a nutshell we have MS doing same price, better hardware vs Sony same hardware, better price (at least to expect).

Vena

Pokemon has marched right back up Amazon (after the direct, must be that Snorlax incentive), and the Amiibo have re-risen. Flee!

Also poochy is sold out, and I wanted poochy. ;_;

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Pokemon has marched right back up Amazon (after the direct, must be that Snorlax incentive), and the Amiibo have re-risen. Flee!

Also poochy is sold out, and I wanted poochy. ;_;

Actually, several Nintendo items have risen compared to before the Direct. I think this isn't the first time it happens, actually.

Seems likely that the gaf aggregate for xbox1 will be below 300k. That's surprising.

Also: would be interesting to knowif yokai watch also gets a push from pokémon hype.

allan-bh

Seems likely that the gaf aggregate for xbox1 will be below 300k. That's surprising.

Also: would be interesting to knowif yokai watch also gets a push from pokémon hype.

I didn't think about my prediction yet, but less than 300k sounds possible considering the sales pattern of Xbox One.

While true, I think the price disparity would have to be a lot larger in at least North America than just something like 50$, and I don't think Sony's going to go that aggressive considering how much they seem to love making money from this part of their business to help support the others. I say this because the X1S is the cheapest 4KBR player on the market and the Slim has no such offerings at all. When those TV deals kick in this holiday or "goes best with your TV" its going to be the X1S that's going to get leveraged, and I expect that to get leveraged hard.

The other side of the coin is that I don't think Sony can completely divorce the pricing schemes of the Neo from the Slim. If the gap is too small, no one wants to buy a Slim -> buy Neo insead, if the gap is too big, no one will want to buy a Slim -> too cheap, makes you think its cheap (also as noted they want money, and there's a limit on how low they can go and still be turning a profit on hardware). They'll want to price it in such a way as to make it appear appealing as a price alternative but also keep it from feeling "too cheap" while also making the Neo feel "premium".

/shrug

Last christmas PS4 was $299 with bundled game(Battlefront) pretty much for whole holidays. That sounds pretty aggressive pricing to me considering how normal price was $349.

Welfare

I would think the launch of the XB1S would give this month's prediction thread some more activity, but it just feels dead.

Top Bottom