• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August 2016 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes September 8th

psrock

Nice, I think Microsoft can use the S and UHD drive and create a bigger momentum out of it. They could win more than November if they have a killer marketing promo going on.

But Only one console will be able to do 4K GAMING.

cakely

Nice, I think Microsoft can use the S and UHD drive and create a bigger momentum out of it. They could win more than November if they have a killer marketing promo going on.

It's extremely unlikely Xbox One will sell more units than the PlayStation 4 during the same month the PlayStation 4 Pro launches.

Zedox

On purpose like that though, in MS PR style. Not everyone is just going to know that the other console does have 2 of those 3 things.

Why do you think that MS is the only company that does PR like this...everyone does this. It's PR.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Edit for new page:

I don't think the Pro will sell that well this year, especially when the Slim will probably drop $50 on Black Friday. 90% or probably even more of the shoppers will choose a $249 Slim over a $399 Pro. Especially since only the Slim is getting the Call of Duty bundle right?

Edit for new page:

I don't think the Pro will sell that well this year, especially when the Slim will probably drop $50 on Black Friday. 90% or probably even more of the shoppers will choose a $249 Slim over a $399 Pro. Especially since only the Slim is getting the Call of Duty bundle right?

If Pro does not get a custom bundle for CoD someone somewhere fucked up.

I'd reckon we simply haven't seen it announced yet.

C4Lukins

It's extremely unlikely Xbox One will sell more units than the PlayStation 4 during the same month the PlayStation 4 Pro launches.

I think November will come down to supply of the PS4pro. No telling how many will be out there at launch.

Boke1879

This is why the Pro is going to sell. Not because of 4k HDR.

It'll sell because it's at a great price and launching at a great time. November, Holiday shopping season, before Black Friday.

Sony will bill it as a console that offers higher visual fidelity, smoother framerates, and extra graphical effects for $100 more.

Slim will no doubt sell the most in the PS family as that bundle is an amazing deal, but people looking to spend money this Holiday could look at the Pro as a worthwhile purchase just considering the price point.

Again I'm interested in seeing how the Slim sells because if it explodes and overtakes the One S the rest of the year it'll show that no one is buying these thing based on 4k blu ray playback.

Boke1879

Man oh man does Microsoft love all that spinning right now.

They aren't spinning. What they are saying is factually true, but I think people are overstating the importance of those bullet points when it comes to people buying a console this year.

Biggest August for X HW since 2011, 3DS up <2x YA, seems like a good HW month. X>P>3, lol @ suggested gap above.

Madden>NMS>MC>GTAV>DE:MD

Rev flat

How would you define a "big success"?

Solid month for MSFT, largest for Xbox brand since 5 years back? X1 S released at a time before new Sony boxes & somewhat of a lull in software.

I don't anticipate NMS being in that position for long. Might even drop out of Top 10 in September, can't see the legs being there.

Chobel

Edit for new page:

Pro will sell >300K in November easy, that's enough to win November (assuming Sony matches the price of XB1S).

They aren't spinning. What they are saying is factually true, but I think people are overstating the importance of those bullet points when it comes to people buying a console this year.

It's genuinely hard to know what features are market movers, but it's also true Xbox has been trying to one up PS4 in its feature set marketing in the past 2 years and despite having their own set of slavo, it hasn't worked.

Example ,360 BC was a big deal MS tried to push last holiday as a differentiator vs PS4. Didn't work .

Boke1879

Oh, I figured they would've announced it today with the announcement of the Slim bundles.

Have no doubts we'll get Pro COD bundles in November.

Pro will sell >300K in November easy, that's enough to win November (assuming Sony matches the price of XB1S).

PS4 Slim will get the great deals and drive console sales the rest of the year, but yea I can see Pro selling quite well honestly. I can see Sony or retailers bundling games with Pro for $400.

Elios83

Edit for new page:

Mainstream will obviously go Slim and those will be bulk of the holiday season sales.
But core gamers and upgraders will go for the Pro. Microsoft has nothing to compete with the launch of a new platform like the Pro this year.
Do you really think that Sony won't be able to sell even ''just'' 400k Pros in November on top of the Slim?
Unless Microsoft starts doing crazy things like 199$ deals for the XB1S similarly to the 2014 deals, they'll lose by a big margin.
They can grasp to the UHD drive as a selling point but the interest in that thing is close to zero in the US and absolute zero in the rest of the world at this point.
Hironically they ended up swapping places with Sony even on the Blu Ray front :D

cakely

Edit for new page:

Sony will sell as many of the PS4P this holiday season as they can manufacture.

It's a 4.2TF gaming console for $400. It is, literally, more than twice as powerful as any other gaming console that has ever existed, and the price is right.

I think people here have somehow convinced themselves that the PS4P announcement was some sort of disappointment.

Boke1879

It's genuinely hard to know what features are market movers, but it's also true Xbox has been trying to one up PS4 in its feature set marketing in the past 2 years and despite having their own set of slavo, it hasn't worked.

Example ,360 BC was a big deal MS tried to push last holiday as a differentiator vs PS4. Didn't work .

And i'd argue 360 BC is more of a sales driver than 4k blu ray playback as consumers can readily take advantage of that.

With the 4k blu ray playback, you need to get a 4k Tv, and you still have to buy 4k content. It's great it's in a $300 machine, but there is still added cost to that.

I expect those bundles to be $450, so I would imagine Sony don't want to have that price tag be associated with Pro so quickly.

Eh we'll see. Sony seems to think and want the Slim to be the main driver of sales going forward. They may be ok with offering Pro bundles for a bit more in order to meet their margins. Either way I can see regular COD Pro bundles going for $400. LE models being $450

etta

my hard graphic balls
Hmmmm, so the Pro could do 300K alone?
Hmmmm I dunno, if Microsoft goes crazy with it and does the Xbox One S 500GB + a copy of Gears of War 4 + a 4K UHD movie + $50 store coupon OR any new game free at Microsoft Stores (I assume they will do this again for Call of Duty launch) on top of a crazy marketing blitz with the UHD drive and cheap 4K TVs this Black Friday... that thing will sell like crazy, probably even exceed their best November of 1.35 million (was that just for November 2014?).

Guymelef

Hmmmm I dunno, if Microsoft goes crazy with it and does the Xbox One S 500GB + a copy of Gears of War 4 + a 4K UHD movie + $50 store coupon OR any new game free at Microsoft Stores (I assume they will do this again for Call of Duty launch)... that thing will sell like crazy, probably even exceed their best November of 1.35 million (was that just for November 2014?).

Don't forget to add a PS4 Pro to that Xbox One S bundle.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Yeah sorry, didn't mean spinning. But boy are they gonna abuse the hell out of that bullet.

Hmmmm I dunno, if Microsoft goes crazy with it and does the Xbox One S 500GB + a copy of Gears of War 4 + a 4K UHD movie + $50 store coupon OR any new game free at Microsoft Stores (I assume they will do this again for Call of Duty launch) on top of a crazy marketing blitz with the UHD drive and cheap 4K TVs this Black Friday... that thing will sell like crazy, probably even exceed their best November of 1.35 million (was that just for November 2014?).

Pretty sure the deals last year were better than 2014. The impact was lessened simply because it was seen less as a bargain hail Mary.

It's at the point where consumers expect these kinds of crazy Xbox one deals.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Yeah sorry, didn't mean spinning. But boy are they gonna abuse the hell out of that bullet.
Yea this is what I'm saying, Greenberg has probably gone to the doctor for a priapism at least 5 times in the last 24 hours.
I bet he's got crazy ideas with how they can market the UHD drive and price this holiday.

ethomaz

Banned
I read the same last November with better deals o_O

blakep267

Ps4 will win from here on out, they will repeat what they did last year.
I think they lose October. MS will have a BF bundle and gears coming out. I don't see PSVR doing much to help push new console sales( I see it selling to the established base)

I know th UK is getting a COD bundle early in OCT but I wonder if that's US also

And how many of October sales are going to be deferred to November for the Pro

Boke1879

I think they lose October. MS will have a BF bundle and gears coming out. I don't see PSVR doing much to help push new console sales( I see it selling to the established base)

I know th UK is getting a COD bundle early in OCT but I wonder if that's US also

And how many of October sales are going to be deferred to November for the Pro

I give October to MS simply for Gears. I think BF1 sells better on PS4.

Sterok

Consumers really seem to be wising up to holiday deals being so good. The PS4 price drop last year also had a disappointing effect. Then the holidays came and of course both consoles sold incredibly well. So I expect the PS4 to disappoint many in September (though it'll still sell decently), but both will explode during the holidays again.

Boke1879

How is <300K bad?

People expected the bounce to be bigger, but I don't see why. Nothing released to give that impression. It was literally just Slim release that fueled some extra sales. Again it'll be interesting to see how the PS4 does this month in relation.

Top Bottom