• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frawdder

The launch of Google Play means a heap of cheap Android stuff. I also didn't know they had a different app and book for 25c every day, today is a pretty cool one called Where's My Water?

49c apps! Includes Pocket League Story, Business Calender (Google synced), Endmondo PRO, some cool camera apps, plus more!

As a new android owner this is great timing for me.

To any android users of AusGAF, what are some essential maps I should look at?

Also, as this is my first smartphone of any sort I must say that being able to read gaf as well as the rest of the internet from anywhere I am located is pretty amazing (yes, I am very lttp). Secondapps site great!

As a new android owner this is great timing for me.

To any android users of AusGAF, what are some essential maps I should look at?

Also, as this is my first smartphone of any sort I must say that being able to read gaf as well as the rest of the internet from anywhere I am located is pretty amazing (yes, I am very lttp). Secondapps site great!

Best part is it's going to be the official mobileGAF soon. m.neogaf.net|com baby.

For essential apps, there are none. If you hate the default keyboard (like me) get Swype for a free one (beta) or SwiftKey X (on sale currently for .50c). If you dislike whatever launcher you have (the main bit with all the apps on), I can't recommend launcherpro enough. you can get the lite/free edition and it works perfectly, just can't do some minor things. i bought it last year when it was cheap.

Quick Settings is an app I really like. It allows quick access to settings like brightness, making your phone sound but not vibrate (love that one), turn off features (bluetooth, wifi, mobile data, gps).. all from one screen. free.

Different SMS app (I think the default is rather garbage) so there's a few to try, it all depends on you. all mentioned are free: Go SMS Pro, ChompSMS, Pansi SMS, Handcent.

If you browse Reddit theres a few: Reddit News, Baconreader and a few more I forget.

All I can remember/be bothered checking my phone for right now. Expect more after lunch. :p

Stuff that's invaluable/daily use for me on Android is:
Chrome Beta, Chrome to Phone, Plume, Flickr, XBMC Remote, Listen, Untappd, Location Alert, SoundHound*, IMDb, Wake on LAN, Google Reader, Maps, Navigation, GTasks, Authenticator, Aussie Weather, ConnectBot, Remote RDP, Sleep Bot, Gentle Alarm*, Barcode Scanner, ConvertDroid, Flashlight, Goggles, gStrings, Light Flow**, Steam, Groupie, Mobile Potato.

Boy, that's a fair bit of stuff.

I have Age of Zombies, Flight Control, Fruit Ninja, Game Dev Story, Toki Tori, Zenonia, Tetris, Words with Friends, Anomaly HD, Osmos HD, World of Goo, EDGE, as far as game are concerned. Only Words with Friends is free.

* Either for-pay or have trial versions.
** Only useful if your phone has a multi-coloured LED like the Galaxy Nexus.

Carlsberg and Kroenenberg are 30 bucks from GetWines. Should I consume either of these?

My favourite thing about Carlsberg is there motto. "Probably the best beer in the world". It's just so uncommitted. Not like Budweiser's "King of Beers", it's more like "look we've never tried any other beers, but I'm just assuming this is the best"

It's alright though. I've definitely had worse beers at much more than $30 a carton

My favourite thing about Carlsberg is there motto. "Probably the best beer in the world". It's just so uncommitted. Not like Budweiser's "King of Beers", it's more like "look we've never tried any other beers, but I'm just assuming this is the best"

It's alright though. I've definitely had worse beers at much more than $30 a carton
Hmmmm just realised it is a local brew, bad reviews for it. Kroenenberg at least is the import, will grab for next weekend. As long as the local has some REALLY in stock

markot

Banned
hm windows 7 is surprisingly good on tablets >.< just waiting to install win 8 though.

Whats a good stylus though? windpad didnt come with one!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
awwww yeeeeeaaaaah sim city gimme gimme

Jezabel

I prefer Kronenbourg to Carlsberg. Neither are your top quality beers, but I have had a few Kronenbourg in my time when it's cheap. For 30 bucks can't go wrong.

Very true, both beers are my "fuck i've got 20 bucks to get pissed" beers.

Geelong EB are throwing a Midnight launch for ME3, tempting, very tempting

Choc

Banned
Dear Bookies

How are Australia favourites to win tommorow

Signed

Anyone who saw Australia decimated yesterday

Shaneus

Before. Then we can have beers and be merry. If you are already holding a beer to pass to me when I arrive then the punch cannot be fullfilled and will be null and void. Beer removes all painful memories.

Also Die Antwoord DURING the set? Fuck that would have been awesome!
Yeah, was. I'd never heard of them until only a few days ago but they're very powerful, if a little "out there" and left-of-centre. Gave the show a bit more personality.

Fascinating nerd tip: At their core, majority of his visuals were powered by Kinect. I shit you not. Scenes where cameras panned over the crowd, then replacing their faces with evil pictures of Richard James himself all of a sudden made sense when I realised what was behind it.
I noticed when there was a live image being tweaked onscreen (of AP) that actually had depth to it (small grey balls in the distance, were bigger as they were closer). Then saw those other effects (other's faces appearing on other pop-culture images onscreen, lines joining where points highlighted by the Kinect were picked up on people) and finally, a silhouette of one of the cameras against the main screen.
I'm rambling a bit, but it was a somewhat excitable nerd revelation when I picked up on it. Google "aphex twin" kinect :)

Your mum because she totally told me it was an awesome deal.

Worst case scenario: sell it on to some sucker for profit.
Mine's still "ready for dispatch" which I hope is just a case of the status not being updated and it not having actually left the mail centre.

Already spent $5 woo! New calender is fuckawesome. Works visually a lot better than the standard one and still syncs with Google Calender perfectly. Also the camera apps are FANTASTIC. Will get a lot of use out of them.
Almost makes me want to look into whether the pending ICS release on my Windpad could somehow be dual-booted with Windows 7/8. Given that they're both running on the same platform, I'd guess not?

I wish there was a f.lux app for android
You know there's one for iOS, yeah?

nononono, for taking notes and crap.
www.dealextreme.com
+1 Apple

Frawdder

Thanks for the app suggestions, I'll take a look at them when I get home.

And of course in my previous post I meant to type 'apps' not 'maps', typing on a touch screen is going to take some getting used to.

Almost makes me want to look into whether the pending ICS release on my Windpad could somehow be dual-booted with Windows 7/8. Given that they're both running on the same platform, I'd guess not?
I have both WebOS and ICS running on my HP TouchPad, so I don't see why you couldn't with an appropriate bootloader. How easy is another matter entirely.

Fredescu

There's a human shaped thing in one of the photos, but I think it's actually a new spider hunting mechanism whereby they gather together to look like a human, and then pounce when you're not expecting.

Shaneus

There's a human shaped thing in one of the photos, but I think it's actually a new spider hunting mechanism whereby they gather together to look like a human, and then pounce when you're not expecting.
You know how if you want to portray a cow onscreen you have to tape a bunch of cats together? Same principle.

Axiom

JB rang today to inform me that they didn't get enough stock of the ME3 collectors editions, but not to worry as they are getting a spare one from Frankston sent over. That was very polite of them and all, I'm sure I can *twitch* wait an extra day.

I'm fine really, I'm still getting it I just have to wait another day or an entire weekend. I just wish I could stop shaking so I could drink my coffee.

On a more AusGAF note, the gorgeous redhead in the graphic design course I just started catches exactly the same train as me from exactly the same station and I only realised it was the same gal when we headed into exactly the same class.

Jintor

JB rang today to inform me that they didn't get enough stock of the ME3 collectors editions, but not to worry as they are getting a spare one from Frankston sent over. That was very polite of them and all, I'm sure I can *twitch* wait an extra day.

I'm fine really, I'm still getting it I just have to wait another day or an entire weekend. I just wish I could stop shaking so I could drink my coffee.

On a more AusGAF note, the gorgeous redhead in the graphic design course I just started catches exactly the same train as me from exactly the same station and I only realised it was the same gal when we headed into exactly the same class.
All new train girl!

Today's society meeting was way cooler than yesterday's. I won a plush toy!

All this talk of ME3 has got me feeling like I should play it. But I only mildly liked 1 and I've only just started Deus Ex HR, somehow I forgot about it when it came out, and I bought MGS HD. Crap. I have a lot to play don't I?

hamchan

First impressions of ME3: Everything feels more janky and ugly than ME2. Shooting and movement feels weird, guns don't feel as satisfying and the UI seems uglier to me. Maybe I just have to get used to the changes. Also the ME2 opening is better.

Ive driven through Tenderloin twice in the last few days. Not ever setting foot there.
Been to new york, london, Boston, LA and drove through Compton. More than anywhere else ive been, Tenderloin looks like The Wire. Oh it its only a few blocks from our hotel in union square.

Got on an open-top hop on/ hop off tour bus the ther day when we drove through Tenderloin the second time. The tour guide telling us through the loudspeaker about what a shithole it is. These commentaries are pretty audible when you're on the street. Funny how the bus doesnt stop there.

Had a fancy treat dinner with my wife at Mortons (for close to the cost of a vita) were we surrounded by gaming execs having meals on expenses. It was literally the best steak i have ever eaten and will probably never top. Also, some of those MBA's are utter cocks when they're liquored up.

SF lives up to its rep and is an incredibly gay place. I dont mean that in a bad way, just being accurate. Ive never heard so many camp voices in one place so concentrated. Even on oxford st in sydney.

So stuffed from dinner. Gonna have to walk up Lombard st after GDC to walk it off.

I do appreciate the ME3 spoiler tags guys, its another two weeks before i can play it.

Also Gaz, you've been on more junkets to the states than all but two people i know. The world's smallest violin is shipping according to fedex. BTW, Molyneux's cancelled his talk so your cab is safe.

Kritz

Banned
Woo, finally got assigned to my group for Game Production. I like this group. They're not as fucking crazy as me about, um, Eastern Europe or internet humour, or living and breathing game references. But they seem into making something cool and at last half of us seem like good programmers.

The group also contains the only female in the entire class of about 40-50 people. She has a boyfriend. Also I am not the type to try to hit on someone who is in a field where she gets to pick between 49 other males. Internet stalking, maybe. But outright flattery, never.

Oh, right, the group. We can all program, one guy dabbles in sound, the girl does art as a major, another guy is pretty purely focused on programming though has done a bit of level design. I guess my role is 2D art generation, programming and being a crazy person with terrible ideas. And adding in internet memes to the dialog.

So far we've decided on making a magicka-styled game, but with melee combat, but still about being bad wizards. I got to name the game. The game will be called,

"The Shitty Wizard".

Our professor said it was the second worst game title he had ever heard. That was a huge morale booster for the group, I think.

I may be too excited for this class. I can't really contain my enthusiasm. I can't wait until week 7 where I am a shell of my former self and hate the gaming industry before even being a part of it. Not that I will ever be a part of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom