• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Ydahs

Map loader complete!

Multiple tilesets, multiple layers, scrolling and per-tile attributes :D

... but it's incredibly inefficient. Rendering 950 tiles and one sprite brings it down to ~50 fps. That's probably because I'm blitting every tile per frame...

Shaneus said:
PS. Sonic Generations on Steam in AU? $50. US store? $30.

If we were going to point out every time this happened, we'd need a whole new thread dedicated just to it.

I always make sure to check the US price before buying shit on Steam. Plenty of publishers don't stop being arseholes just because they're in a digital space, and more are catching on to the fact that they've got somewhere else to virtually bend us over every day.

Ydahs

3chopl0x said:
As someone who dislikes Kotaku this is horrible news

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=450058
Which led to this: New NeoGaf TOS
C. By registering an account at NeoGAF.com and participating (including but not limited to submitting replies or private messages), you hereby grant NeoGAF LLC and our licensees, distributors, agents, representatives and other authorized users, a perpetual, non-exclusive, irrevocable, fully-paid, royalty-free, sub-licensable and transferable (in whole or part) worldwide license under all copyrights, trademarks, patents, trade secrets, privacy and publicity rights and other intellectual property rights you own or control to use, reproduce, transmit, display, exhibit, distribute, index, comment on, modify, create derivative works based upon, perform and otherwise exploit such submissions, in whole or in part, in all media formats and channels now known or hereafter devised, for any and all purposes including entertainment, news, advertising, promotional, marketing, publicity, trade or commercial purposes, all without further notice to you, with or without attribution, and without the requirement of any permission from or payment to you or to any other person or entity.

Which is explained to mean this:
EviLore said:
It's a non-exclusive license. You still retain ownership/rights to your work. This is a "cover our asses" clause and a "when some site asks me politely if they can highlight some NeoGAF post they think is cool there isn't some huge controversy, even though they could just NOT ask me and republish anyway without anyone giving a damn, like Destructoid just did a few days ago and other sites have done hundreds of times."

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I need monday off, too much shit to play.

New chuck today as well. Fringe ( next week) and chuck on Saturdays, this is so strange!

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
GAF sells out ? :(
Yeah, I... not sure what to think, TBH. It's more fun when a site steals from GAF then get called out from it.

I don't get it though. Serrels & co are able to provide bucketloads of content without having to steal from forums... what makes Kotaku US so different?

reptilescorpio said:
GAF sells out ? :(
I think it means that NeoGAF owns your posts... sort of. If you create something entirely new on GAF (say you post a legendary photo you took), you have the sole right to make money off it, but it also means that GAF can too in the context of a thread bringing in advertising revenue and noteriety for the site. Also, other sites can refer to your work under fair use legislation. I think.

Jintor

I don't think it'd stand up in court, but you might have to go to equity for that.

I wonder what jurisdiction the TOS falls under, and whether they can just grant them a worldwide licence or not.

/edit it's essentially the same as posting something up to YouTube or Flickr - you still own the content, they can just republish it or do whatever they want with it.

In fact, technically speaking, the licence is transferred to not just GAF proper and its licensors, distributors, agents and representatives, but to "all authorised users" - so all of us technically hold the licence to all content (I think, I'm not sure what the definition of 'authorised user' actually is, though a reasonable reading would go like that I'd say).

However, it does allow others to profit from anything you post here without contacting you or paying you. It just doesn't grant them ownership rights.

/edit as Hito has pointed out, this TOS only applies to 'the messages' and the 'private communications' that are posted on GAF, so not to images, since they are technically links to external content. I guess they might have your Avatar though.

//edit Apparently 'this is the way it has always been', but I don't remember giving away a licence to profit off my messages. I'm more worried about how broad and far-reaching these terms are.

///edit I still have no idea if under the terms this applies retroactively or not.

Kritz

Banned
Gaz may have gotten on Kotaku, but EatChildren made it to Reddit.

Sjf7u.png

Rezbit

This is just completely random and out of the blue, but I was reading that article on the Hun online about that mother who has abandoned 8 kids, and it got me thinking - why are bogans so fertile? Or is it just that they have unprotected sex way more?

Kerrby

Banned
Rezbit said:
This is just completely random and out of the blue, but I was reading that article on the Hun online about that mother who has abandoned 8 kids, and it got me thinking - why are bogans so fertile? Or is it just that they have unprotected sex way more?

It's just that they have sex many times with many different people. Sometimes for money.

Shaneus

Rezbit said:
PvEn9.jpg

legend166

guidop said:
Can someone explain to me how dawww came into being? because from where i'm sitting it was always awww. I see people type dawww all the time on gaf, unless it is a silent d which confuses me even more

bought a logitech g400 did't like it at all, I have a g5 and even though they are the same shape and size the build quality was alot poorer the LMB & RMB had no wieght at all, very thin plastic and no texture like the g5.

I have a huge irrational hate of 'dawwwww'. It just makes me angry reading it.

IT'S 'AWWWWWWW' PEOPLE. NO ONE HAS EVER PUT A D IN FRONT OF THAT

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Aww is the sound you make when you experience something unfortunate. "daaaw" is when you experience something cute, duh.

You guys have never heard anyone say "daaaaaw"?

Shaneus

Planet_JASE said:
I assume that when you call me antireptilescorpio that means that you see me as a very manly, hetrosexual, intelligent, top bloke that you respect highly... that you don't fancy and wouldn't try to take advantage of the next time you have drinks together.

I approve of this compliment.

I hate you too and toodles till next time.
Eh, I just meant that whenever he's around, you're not and vice versa. Nothing more ;)

legend166

Rez said:
Aww is the sound you make when you experience something unfortunate. "daaaw" is when you experience something cute, duh.

You guys have never heard anyone say "daaaaaw"?

Never with a d sound.

The difference between 'awwwwww' at something cute, and 'awwwww' at being disappointed is entirely tonal.

NO D

legend166 said:
Never with a d sound.

The difference between 'awwwwww' at something cute, and 'awwwww' at being disappointed is entirely tonal.

NO D

bad aww goes up at the end - like a question.

good aww goes on for a while. If a really cute animal is involved, the awwww from some women can last several weeks.

Kerrby

Banned
Anyone know the story with Costanza and Rock Band on this forum? I've seen it mentioned twice today but can't find the posts.

midonnay

the great purge or something....

Rockband fanboys angry at their megathread being fiddled with?

protested by spamming the forum with rockband threads?

ladidahdidah..... mass bans and Community forum created?

ps: Majak Dawwwwwwwwwwww

Salazar

Kerrby said:
Anyone know the story with Costanza and Rock Band on this forum? I've seen it mentioned twice today but can't find the posts.

From very vague memory: the Rock Band OT was being used as a sort of chat room. People who got pissed when mods cracked down on this co-ordinated some kind of spam. EviLore wasn't putting up with it.

Kerrby

Banned
Salazar said:
From very vague memory: the Rock Band OT was being used as a sort of chat room. People who got pissed when mods cracked down on this co-ordinated some kind of spam. EviLore wasn't putting up with it.

I just found another of his threads about ECA and scamming people or something. Wow.

Salazar

Kerrby said:
I just found another of his threads about ECA and scamming people or something. Wow.

Knobhead, from what I can gather.

Watching Perth versus Canberra women's football on tv. God damn, they play at a curious pace.

Jintor

Costanza was also involved in some kind of weird cyber-stalking campaign against the creator/cast members of Community (the show), from what I remember.

I went to go check out GameMQ today. Good stuff. ABC Good Game's Spawn Point had a presentation for the kiddies. Heartwarming to see all the little guys and girls (I'd say it was about a 50/50 split to be honest). There must be some paradigm that hits between the ages of 12 and 18 that forces all the girls out of the interest or tells them that it's crap to be interested in games, and I hope that goes away soon.

Kritz

Banned

The AusGAF Battlefield 3 Group

-

I broke down and bought Battlefield. If anyone plays it and isn't in the group, sign the fuck up.

Still not sure on the emblem. Could go back to the eagle thing, or could make something else. Hard to do more complicated stuff when you're limited to 20 shapes on the emblem at a time.

Top Bottom