• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Austrian Presidential Elections: First Results Show Right-wing Populist Triumph

Status
Not open for further replies.

derFeef

1) He will be crushed in the second round of voting.
2) The Austrian President is a useless "ceremonial" role.
3) The European republic system that essentially just replaces useless monarchs with useless presidents is stupid.

1. Not so sure
2. It's useless but eats a lot of money. It's also still staggering that basically the whole country voted for a right wing unknown guy.
3. Agree.

Pretty much.

Maybe it's time to stop the thinking that people vote for the radical right because they are disenchanted by the political establishment and because they are protesting against it.

I suspect the reason they are voting for the radical right is because they think that they best represent their views.

Much like you should admit to yourself that you are likely a homophobe when you begin a sentence with "I'm not a homophobe, but..." or a racist when you begin a sentence with "I'm not a racist, but...", you should also admit to yourself that your political views are likely far right nationalist if you vote for far right nationalists.

I feel that the line that the reason for voting for these parties is some sort of a protest against the establishment is self denial in those voting for them on the one side, and the denial of the unpalatable idea that the ceiling for those parties is much much higher than anyone cares to admit, on the other.

We will soon see that at the very least close to half of the Austrian electorate has no problem to vote for a racist (German) nationalist as their president. Very probably more than half of the electorate. And soon after we will very likely see a far right radical party become the largest political party in the country by some distance.

"But it's because the people are pissed off with the status quo..." is not the reason for that, imo.

Well said.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Even if Hofer doesn't win. It still remains the fact that over 36% (even more in the second round) of the present voting population have voted for a guy who's only remarkable feature is that he represents the extreme right party and he's the voice of the anti-immigrants feelings. Practically more than 1 in 3 people voting has chosen xenophobia at best and racism at worst.

I reaaaaally don't like the direction European nations are heading in. The right-wing turn and flight into the arms of far-right nationalist policies coupled with libertarian ideas of dismantling the welfare state are destroying the Left.

I am still uncertain if this is a similar case of White Flight like in the US with what Mumei mentioned in the Vox article thread - Because this is actually very similar to how a lot of (white) Europeans flee from Left/center parties the last two decades into the more overtly racist parties, which in turn forces the center/left parties to do a sort of arms-race of anti-immigration and racist laws in competition with the straight-up racist ideology of the European right-winged nationalist parties due to populism in politics:

Preface: I don't vote for, or support, right wing nationalists.

A very common sentiment in current left-wing politics and media is that everything that goes wrong in immigration related matters happens because we (the whites) are too racist and intolerant. This kind of behaviour drives people away.

What people need to understand that the right-wing supporters are afraid. Their methods to solve this fear are horrible and I don't agree with them, but the feeling of fear is still very real. Throwing insults and accusations at these people will only put them on defensive and make them dig deeper into their positions. What is needed is that politicians and media address these fears by talking about real solutions (current and working solutions, or solutions that are planned). Talk about substance, how things are being handled and why things are going to be fine.

What I'm currently seeing is that everyone just blames the other side and it helps no-one. All it leads to is a divided Europe. Talk about solutions, people (and media and politicians).

Dingens

Yes, and I storngly believe their issues and problems at the core of their hearts is too many non white people.

It was probably tolerable before the refugee influx but the crisis is the perfect excuse for a lot of "civil, open and liberal" europeans to show their true colors.

You dont vote for bigots, xenophobes and racists just because they have the solution for one agenda but simultaneously introduce a whole new package of problems. Its naive and stupid.

I still have a hard time believing in a brown-white rhetoric in an European context. It still strikes me as a rather American discourse. After all, right-wing voters seem to love tanning salon for some reason, and some of their leaders do as well.
but who knows? Unlike the US, even IF it was about skin colour, people would never admit it openly. They'd rather talk about cultural perversion and cover-up stories like that.

Even if Hofer doesn't win. It still remains the fact that over 36% (even more in the second round) of the present voting population have voted for a guy who's only remarkable feature is that he represents the extreme right party and he's the voice of the anti-immigrants feelings. Practically more than 1 in 3 people voting has chosen xenophobia at best and racism at worst.

to be fair, voter turnup was 59%, therefore "only" 21% of eligible voters voted for him.
postal ballot hasn't been counted yet, and as usual, he'll probably loose another 1% due to that. It's rather unlikely that he's going to win the 2nd round. I'm quite confident that everyone who wanted to vote blue already did so in the 1st round - after all, VdB was the favourite and they had to make sure that their own candidate reaches the 2nd round.

Now it's up to the established non-nazi parties to get their shit together and provide confident answers to relevant problems without resorting to right-wing rhetorics (which they won't do, but one can still hope...)

What's happening in Europe makes me hate human beings (yes, including myself) and our inherent vile nature, especially our fucking tribalism. That goes for both sides of the political spectrum.

patapuf

Preface: I don't vote for, or support, right wing nationalists.

A very common sentiment in current left-wing politics and media is that everything that goes wrong in immigration related matters happens because we (the whites) are too racist and intolerant. This kind of behaviour drives people away.

What people need to understand that the right-wing supporters are afraid. Their methods to solve this fear are horrible and I don't agree with them, but the feeling of fear is still very real. Throwing insults and accusations at these people will only put them on defensive and make them dig deeper into their positions. What is needed is that politicians and media address these fears by talking about real solutions (current and working solutions, or solutions that are planned). Talk about substance, how things are being handled and why things are going to be fine.

What I'm currently seeing is that everyone just blames the other side and it helps no-one. All it leads to is a divided Europe. Talk about solutions, people (and media and politicians).

Jep, this is what annoys me most as well.

If you show people solutions, that usually helps against irrational fears ect.

Thing is, many problems with segregated foreign populations ect. have been ignored for so long that there's no easy and quick fix anymore. For the foreseeable future, regardless of whatever happens with asylum seekers ect, they are here to stay, policies to "fix" them will take many years to bear fruit.

Refugees are also not an easy matter to solve. Things like refugees having their legal status in limbo for years until someone has made a decision are just silly. Because of that that, these people (usually) aren't allowed to work, and while they get food and shelter, after a few years of sitting around that looses its appeal... and the new arrivals learn from people that have been here a while. No wonder criminals thrive in such an environment.

It's not exactly surprising that voter don't trust their governments to deal with a sudden surge in refugees, they've not exactly been brilliant in handling things so far. Though to be fair, populists have done a brilliant job of fanning the flames.

Not to completely absolve voters from the state of things, voting patterns haven't exactly helped the solving of problems and arguing in hindsight is always easier. And in my country, Switzerland where we somehow managed to avoid some of the above, people are still flocking to the far right. So maybe i'm a bit naive in thinking that better policy in the past would have helped. Though i'm hopeful that people are starting to wake up a bit. It's strange seeing the SVP being scarred of pushing their own referendum against the new refugee law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom