• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Austrian Presidential Elections: Right-wing Populist Hofer Admits Defeat In Run-off

Status
Not open for further replies.
The west is moving to the right. Although Austria got lucky, the overall trends are disconcerting.

Don't fuck with the middle class.

I don't think you can generalize Europe and NA as the west politically. Let alone because even the democrats are rather right by European standards and while the republicans are xenophobic and racist they aren't straight up Neo Nazis. Europe is definitely disconcerting with the continuing rise of far right parties and the totalitarianism in some countries.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I only see the ÖVP losing by a large margin.

Austria needs a pretty strong center-right party to pick the pieces of ÖVP and avoid those going to FPÖ. And generally needs parties with some balls who are able to talk about the hot topics (even when they think they hold an unpopular opinion) and not let FPÖ do all the talk.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I'm not a big fan of VdB but I'd rather burn in hell for eternity than vote for the FPÖ. The next elections are going to be bad though. It's hard to think off a less qualified Chancellor than our previous one but watch that rapping Idiot Strache bumble into the office and embarrass us in front of the world.

Austria needs a pretty strong center-right party to pick the pieces of ÖVP and avoid those going to FPÖ. And generally needs parties with some balls who are able to talk about the hot topics (even when they think they hold an unpopular opinion) and not let FPÖ do all the talk.

Austria needs strong centrist options in general.
Here's hoping that several center-aligned politicians sense the change in wind and use this opportunity. The election in 2 years is going to be the staging ground for Austria's new political landscape, since ÖVP and potentially SPÖ if their new cabinet doesn't work shit out, are going to die off.

There's a LOT of SPÖ, ÖVP and even FPÖ voters that a proper centrist party could attract. The FPÖ is only so strong because they're luring in all the centrists that don't want to vote for SPÖVP, and the only other options are Greens and Neos, decidedly left parties. Hell if I had the funds, I'd probably go and make a centrist party, myself. There is no better opportunity than now.

So glad. The domino effect of populist far-right governments in western Europe is a very real risk. So far it's remained isolated to more central / eastern Europe.

Alexander Van der Bellen said:
"I've experienced how Austria rose from the ruins of World War Two, caused by the madness of nationalism."

Lime

So glad. The domino effect of populist far-right governments in western Europe is a very real risk. So far it's remained isolated to more central / eastern Europe.

It's pretty dominant in Denmark, Holland, France, Norway, Sweden, so it's not an isolated phenomenon to central and eastern EU.

The fact that almost 50% of people voted for Hofer is a reminder that we Europeans have no right to mock America for possibly electing Donald Trump. Austria almost did elect a Trump-like figure. I still have little faith in human beings after this though.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The fact that almost 50% of people voted for Hofer is a reminder that we Europeans have no right to mock America for possibly electing Donald Trump. Austria almost did elect a Trump-like figure. I still have little faith in human beings after this though.

Without even having the qualifications (cartoon mob head) that Trump has.

Jay Sosa

He might be right winged but he is an actual politician and not just some clown.

Trumps equivalent in this election was Lugner and he got about 10 percent of the votes.

Dingens

Austria needs strong centrist options in general.
Here's hoping that several center-aligned politicians sense the change in wind and use this opportunity. The election in 2 years is going to be the staging ground for Austria's new political landscape, since ÖVP and potentially SPÖ if their new cabinet doesn't work shit out, are going to die off.

There's a LOT of SPÖ, ÖVP and even FPÖ voters that a proper centrist party could attract. The FPÖ is only so strong because they're luring in all the centrists that don't want to vote for SPÖVP, and the only other options are Greens and Neos, decidedly left parties. Hell if I had the funds, I'd probably go and make a centrist party, myself. There is no better opportunity than now.

I think it may be the other way around...
there are actually way to many center-right and right parties... The ÖVP, depending on the area the greens, and also the NEOS. They might be liberal, but they are not left at all. the are very much neo liberal. and then there are the other remaining rightwing parties like FPÖ and BZÖ (and than there was also some "Team-can't renember the name" Party)...
the only parties left are the SPÖ, which arguably isn't very left anyway, and the KPÖ which is irrelevant.
Seeing as the FPÖ actually attracts it's voters by posing as a left-leaning party makes it pretty clear that, if there is truly a party missing on the political spectrum, it's a trustworthy leftist one.

He might be right winged but he is an actual politician and not just some clown.

Trumps equivalent in this election was Lugner and he got about 10 percent of the votes.

20 years ago... this time he got 2,3%

Bollocks

lol are you serios? Trump is on another level.

Truth of the matter is that the president in Austria has jack shit powers.
With Hofer as president nothing would have changed. He would have crumbled, there was no way he could satisfy his voters as the president has way too little power. People would realize that this party is not the wunderkind they were hoping for and maybe would not return to this party come next election.

Now with VdB as president(a former communist) I would be hard pressed to find him not pushing his leftist agenda even with his little presidential powers.
So those people who voted for Hofer feel more compelled to vote that party next election, which is far more important in terms of political power.
Idk if that was such a smart move today, to cast the vote only to prevent 1 candidate.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
lol are you serios? Trump is on another level.

Truth of the matter is that the president in Austria has jack shit powers.
With Hofer as president nothing would have changed. He would have crumbled, there was no way he could satisfy his voters as the president has way too little power. People would realize that this party is not the wunderkind they were hoping for and maybe would not return to this party come next election.

Now with VdB as president(a former communist) I would be hard pressed to find him not pushing his leftist agenda even with his little presidential powers.
So those people who voted for Hofer feel more compelled to vote that party next election, which is far more important in terms of political power.
Idk if that was such a smart move today, to cast the vote only to prevent 1 candidate.

So with Hofer nothing would have changed (like he could have dissolved one chamber of Parliament and started new elections to capitalize on the presidential win), but VdB can push his leftist agenda? Lol. I guess the president powers are personalized.

Bollocks

So with Hofer nothing would have changed but VdB can push his leftist agenda? Lol. I guess the president powers are personalized.

Of course Hofer would push his agenda as well but he can't do much, just like VdB, but the people who voted for Hofer would see that he falls short on his promises and maybe would not return next time. Next time is far more important in terms of political power.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Of course Hofer would push his agenda as well but he can't do much, just like VdB, but the people who voted for Hofer would see that he falls short on his promises and maybe would not return next time. Next time is far more important in terms of political power.

I edited into my previous posts, but he could have forced the "next time" to capitalize on the win, couldn't he?

Hofer definitely could've and would've changed something.
He was the one who was threatening that "You'd be surprised what's possible", he was the one who said that he'd definitely consider dismissing the current government, and he also would've been the one who would have let an FPÖ minority government through.

This is the first time I heard van der Bellen used to be a communist. Can you please give me a source for that? Because the only thing I know was that his family fled the Soviet regime when Estonia was annexed.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
This is the first time I heard van der Bellen used to be a communist. Can you please give me a source for that? Because the only thing I know was that his family fled the Soviet regime when Estonia was annexed.

Also from Vienna to Tirol when the "liberating" Red Army was closing in.

Next time Fischer will take it with 80% again if there's even an adversary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom