• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Austria repeated presidential election: Far-right's Hofer defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irminsul

OK, so that makes sense on why it's been called already by people, barring a massive swing in the remaining votes which is more pipe dream than reality. Still, I'll be interested in the breakdown of the vote once it's all counted, so if anyone from AustriaGAF can do that once the result is in, I'd greatly appreciate it.

The final results are in and van der Bellen won with an even bigger margin than expected, due to postal votes ranging between 66-33 and 75-25 in his favour instead of the projected 61-39. Hofer's party openly talked about abolishing postal votes, so maybe that result was to be expected after all.

The final result:

Hofer: 46.21% (2,124,661 votes)
van der Bellen: 53.79 % (2,472,892 votes)
Turnout: 74.21%

van der Bellen got roughly 350k votes more than Hofer, in comparison to roughly 30k in the annulled election. Also, turnout rose by 1.56 p.p., meaning roughly 100k(!) people more than before.

There's now also a majority of states voting in favour of van der Bellen (completely irrelevant for the final result, but still nice to see), with Vorarlberg, Tyrol, Salzburg, Upper Austria, Lower Austria, and Vienna voting for van der Bellen as well as Styria, Carinthia, and Burgenland voting for Hofer:

austria53upt.png

There's still a big difference between cities and rural regions, with all state capitals voting in favour of van der Bellen (even in the blue states), with all of them approaching a two-thirds win for him except for Klagenfurt (Carinthia), St. Pölten (Lower Austria), and Eisenstadt (Burgenland). Graz, capital of Styria, went even beyond a two-thirds majority for van der Bellen.

Mivey

To me, he's more charismatic than most politicians. Maybe because I don't get the feeling that he's working on being charismatic in every action. I mean, I like the guy.
I think some people just don't like academic types. And even though he hasn't been teaching for decades now, he is totally a university professor stereotype.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom