• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Austria repeated presidential election: Far-right's Hofer defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irminsul

Far-right candidate Norbert Hofer has been defeated in Austria's presidential election, projections suggest.

The Austrian presidency is largely ceremonial but the vote had been seen as a sign of how well populist candidates might do in upcoming elections in the European Union.

Former Green Party head Alexander Van der Bellen has a clear lead, according to early indications.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38202669

Even though it says "projections", those projections are clear well beyond the confidence interval, so the result is clear. The right-wing party already congratulated van der Bellen.

Note that this was a rerun of the original election in May, which was cancelled by the constitutional court due to formal irregularities. Also, the result is much more in favour of van der Bellen than last time.

2016 seems to want to get its act together. Bit late for that, though.

UrbanRats

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38202669

Even though it says "projections", those projections are clear well beyond the confidence interval, so the result is clear. The right-wing party already congratulated van der Bellen.

Note that this was a rerun of the original election in May, which was cancelled by the constitutional court due to formal irregularities. Also, the result is much more in favour of van der Bellen than last time.

2016 seems to want to get its act together. Bit late for that, though.

I bet Brexit and Trump would also get a different outcome with a re-vote.
It seems like populists are very quick in showing their cards soon after the election is over.

At last, some good news.

Now, to wait for the results of the constitutional referendum in Italy. I'm a lot more worried about that one, to be honest... :-/

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I really thought Hofer will win given the recent stupid things happening in the world and considering the opinion polls.

I'm glad that there is clear difference and the contesting the May elections and repeating them backfired on FPÖ.

There was need of a bit of hope in Europe these days.

Finally some good news.

Yup. A fairly clear result as well (53.6% in favor of VdB) at least compared to the first attempt.

It seems like populists are very quick in showing their cards soon after the election is over.

It's worth noting that this is the same outcome as the first election. First one was MUCH closer though.

Slime

Banned
Good riddance.

Hopefully the world is realizing what it's on the verge of doing and slowly coming to its senses.

Irminsul

Is it still just the cities going for van der Bellen and the other parts for Hofer?
We'll have to wait a bit to say something about this. But, e.g., the state of Salzburg looks to be on van der Bellen's side overall, just as Vienna, Tyrol and Vorarlberg were last time.

RangerX

Banned
Good. As a European I don't want to see Europe drift farther into the inward looking nationalist populism that is taking hold in so many places.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
10551444_web.jpg

BobLoblaw

Banned
This. Too bad people too lazy to vote have screwed everyone else for at least the next four years.

Seems like liberals finally realized they should turn out to vote. Finally some good news. I don't know why so many people followed Hofer in the first place, the government began strict refugee quotas and there aren't that many Muslims living in Austria for the far right to target and tar with the same brush with their hateful rhetoric anyway. And extremist Muslims there seem to be extremely few in number compared to France or something.

I hope there will be a pushback against populism next year. I hope their temporary victories will be short lived and we can get back on the right path.

Stupid is a strong feeling. It's not like the US didn't have glaring examples of what a far right government would be like both in history and across the sea in modern times. Glad to see people are wising up to the far right scam.

I so wish Brexit would get a revote so that we could see if this really is what the public want, or this nonsense could stop.

Does raise a problem if you can keep having votes until you get the result you want but... I wish they would!

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Thanks Trump ?

Thanks Brexit more, I think.

In the exit poll the fact that VDB will keep Austria in EU was one of the most important reasons for voting him (I saw the slide shortly, I think it was practically equal with him representing Austria well in the world ).

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I'm also impressed that voter turnout has increased. I wouldn't be surprised if some other elections this year are responsible for that. Thank god. Hofer is so far right, one could probably call him Nazi without being too far off.
now they have a far left president

Bollocks

This. Too bad people too lazy to vote have screwed everyone else for at least the next four years.

For us living in the UK this shit will last a lot more than just 4 years, if we even can reverse this Brexit shit at all. Hopefully people will turn against Brexit and force a single market membership deal with the 4 freedoms. 2017 suddenly looks a bit better.

Durante

Well, I did my part :p

hochrechnung.4725508.png

Anyway, I think this at least to some extent thanks to both Brexit and the Trump result. Brexit reminded most Austrians that they actually want to remain in the EU. Trump worked in two ways:
  • Getting people out there to vote. (I think "Wählen! Nicht wundern." was a great campaign)
  • The fact that the same people likely to vote for Hofer based on "issues" also make fun of the US for electing Trump (based on many of the same "issues") made at least some of them realize the complete and utter shambles that are their political ideas and their entire mindset.
(Admittedly, that last one is more of a hope than something which actually had an impact)

I wish!
VdB is a center-left politician.

bobohoro

Did my part, again, hopefully we can leave it at that now.

From what I can gather after skimming some data, it seems that the higher voter turnout is one of the main reasons for the bigger lead. Looking at my small home village, Hofer stayed at the same number of votes compared to May, while VdB and overall turnout increased.

Bollocks.

Lagamorph

The Brexit result would've been different if it had been run literally a day later. It'd be an even stronger remain win than that if it were run again now with all the fuckery going on. If anything just to bring Cameron back instead of May.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Did my part and feel really happy now.

Now, go Italy!

To be fair (and i'm going to vote in half an hour, and i'm voting Yes) - the Italy vote isn't going to put a populist in place.
It's a bicameral-to-single-chamber switch, which is pretty unconsequential in the grand scheme of things.
I don't quite see why so many non-italians see it as a tipping point of anything. There will be political fallout, but eh.

Bollocks

I wish!
VdB is a center-left politician.

Yeah to get votes he represented himself as center left, all the pivoting seemed to work if people feel relieved that he won when in reality both candidates leave much to be desired. But that was clear before the polls even started.

BigAl1992

I'll believe that result when the last vote has been counted after this undoubtedly crazy year, so out of curiosity, how much of the result has been counted, where has it been counted, and when on Monday will the official result be announced? (I'm busy with my own work right now, so that's why I'm asking).

SamVimes

To be fair (and i'm going to vote in half an hour, and i'm voting Yes) - the Italy vote isn't going to put a populist in place.
It's a bicameral-to-single-chamber switch, which is pretty unconsequential in the grand scheme of things.
I don't quite see why so many non-italians see it as a tipping point of anything. There will be political fallout, but eh.

They panic is way overblown, but we might be headed towards elections with Movimento 5 Stelle polling ahead of everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom