• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

My friend told me that "Netflix picked up Little Witch Academia."

I went this whole day thinking that Netflix had found a way to make LWA into a running series. I was in an absurdly good mood, which was probably a good thing since I had two client meetings today, only to come home to be hit by a watermelon of disappointment.

god i would have wept with tears of joy

Quasar

I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I just finished Oreimo 2. I watched 1 a few years ago but cannot recall if I ever finished it. I honestly thought the incest was just an under(over)tone of the show and that he'd end up with Kuroneko. That "twist" with his sister was beyond awful. Am I just stupid for thinking their relationship was actually becoming more like normal siblings who love each other as family members?

I really thought it was a hilarious parody-like show. Instead the last two episodes ruined everything :[

The OVAs too?

I'm pretty sad where it went, especially given I could relate to some of the stuff in S1.

The best thing about Studio Trigger is that they don't make very many shows.

Oh, and they made Ninja Slayer.

Kagewani 11

I've been enjoying what's been mostly a series of episodic horror stories up to now, with some light continuity. But it was great to get the long hinted at backstory of the main character. In a weird way, this reminds me of Mushishi, only taken in a darker and more twisted, antagonistic direction. Tomoya Takashima has a command of tone and atmosphere similar to Hiroshi Nagahama, even with only 8-minute episodes and very low budget animation.

duckroll

I really can't understand this. Starting from Osamu Kobayashi's episode, where the characters behaved at odds with their established personalities, the whole thing steadily went downhill until any sense of caring about the characters and their relationships was lost in gross, vulgar spectacle. It's as if midway through the series Yuasa stopped caring about the themes of the story he was trying to tell and decided to build things up into some visually impressive setpiece, no matter how nonsensical it was. Kaiba only got that way at the very end, and even then it wasn't so bad to ruin the characters. Tatami never got that way, and had a very successful ending that satisfyingly brought this one chapter of the protagonist's life to a close.

Kemonozume is about the raw and instinctive nature of humanity. At our very base nature things like personalities and relationships matter less than the immediate need and desire fueled at an animal level. That's what the show felt like to me. When things went south, characters started to be less like them "selves" and more like the monsters they wanted to fight. It's funny because the irony is that all along the series also shows that many monsters also struggle to try and be more "human" just to fit into society.

It doesn't really matter that much anyway, because the important part is that in the end, love triumphs over all!

Droplet

I wasn't really into Kaiba, but loved Tatami and Ping Pong. I thought Kick-Heart was fun, and his episodes of Space Dandy and Adventure Time were also somewhere down that alley.

Will I enjoy Kemonozume? I've been trying to convince someone to watch it with me but nobody wants to. :(

duckroll

I wasn't really into Kaiba, but loved Tatami and Ping Pong. I thought Kick-Heart was fun, and his episodes of Space Dandy and Adventure Time were also somewhere down that alley.

Will I enjoy Kemonozume? I've been trying to convince someone to watch it with me but nobody wants to. :(

Do you like yakuza stories, Romeo and Juliet reimaginations, and tales of monsters hiding among us? If yes, it should be down your alley. Do you have any objection to graphic sex between consenting adult characters and stylized but graphic violence? If not then you're good to go!

Cornbread78

Do you like yakuza stories, Romeo and Juliet reimaginations, and tales of monsters hiding among us? If yes, it should be down your alley. Do you have any objection to graphic sex between consenting adult characters and stylized but graphic violence? If not then you're good to go!

Wait, just joined the page, what anime could you possibly be speaking of here.

Sorry, busy class mating and making star babies with me game waifus.

Droplet

Wait, this is the show that famous "kissing" scene is from right?

I guess I'm down!

Line_HTX

I saw a picture of a girl's arm that was even scarier than Kanbaru, and I freaked out. Might reconsider based on your questioning. Lol

Wait, just joined the page, what anime could you possibly be speaking of here.

Sorry, busy class mating and making star babies with me game waifus.

Kemonozume. Had heard about it and I've always been curious, but his explanation kinda sold me on it.

Also that game is the pure definition of the worst LN trash if it were an anime
Conception right?

Cornbread78

Kemonozume. Had heard about it and I've always been curious, but his explanation kinda sold me on it.

Also that game is the pure definition of the worst LN trash if it were an anime
Conception right?

Synopsis
A race of cannibal monsters called the Shokujinki exists and it is the job of the Kifuuken, an elite group of beast-hunters, to stop them. Toshihiko Momota, an expert swordsman and son of the Kifuuken organization's leader, unexpectedly falls in love at first sight with a beautiful girl named Yuka; however, the couple's relationship is much more complicated than it seems at first glance, for Yuka is a Shokujinki.

Interesting...

Yes, Conception2. I bought it from a PSN sale awhile ago for like $6, lol. It's, umm, interesting. .

Conception is that super cheesy lewd Atlus game, right?

It must be made by the same team that did Persona 4 because there are a lot of similarities in the way the dialog is done as well as the dungeons. Oh, and the music, lol..

Synopsis
A race of cannibal monsters called the Shokujinki exists and it is the job of the Kifuuken, an elite group of beast-hunters, to stop them. Toshihiko Momota, an expert swordsman and son of the Kifuuken organization's leader, unexpectedly falls in love at first sight with a beautiful girl named Yuka; however, the couple's relationship is much more complicated than it seems at first glance, for Yuka is a Shokujinki.

Interesting...

Yes, Conception2. I bought it from a PSN sale awhile ago for like $6, lol. It's, umm, interesting. .

It must be made by the same team that did Persona 4 because there are a lot of similarities in the way the dialog is done as well as the dungeons.

Not gonna spoil but I saw this very specific gif on google of a certain scene between the two characters that was interesting lol.

And that game is straight up trash, honestly man LOL. Saying that it plays itself would be an understatement. You are given so many tutorials and all you gotta do is straight up autobattle2win. The characters are okay at first, but the game gets worse, and worse. You may end up liking it, but that's my two cents.

And heck no, this was made by Spike-Chunsoft. They just stole all of the ideas and used them rather... poorly.

Cornbread78

Not gonna spoil but I saw this very specific gif on google of a certain scene between the two characters that was interesting lol.

And that game is straight up trash, honestly man LOL. Saying that it plays itself would be an understatement. You are given so many tutorials and all you gotta do is straight up autobattle2win. The characters are okay at first, but the game gets worse, and worse. You may end up liking it, but that's my two cents.

And heck no, this was made by Spike-Chunsoft. They just stole all of the ideas and used them rather... poorly.

Lol, great... Oh well, hopefully there's not a lot of grinding and I just just trophy who really it.

But yeah, a LOT of similarities to P4, but I don't think it will come close to the P4 characters and story.

Lol, great... Oh well, hopefully there's not a lot of grinding and I just just trophy who really it.

But yeah, a LOT of similarities to P4, but I don't think it will come close to the P4 characters and story.

At least you only spent $6 on it. I'm never gonna get my $39.99 back. There Trails of Cold Steel dropping on the Vita next week, you should have waited since that seems to be a legitimately good RPG. The sequel, which XSeed has already confirmed for 2016 as well is apparently even better.

Clov

I love all of Yuasa's work, though I definitely found Kemonozume and Mind Game to be weaker. Though I would like to add that I love Duckroll's perspective on Kemonozume; that's an angle that I hadn't thought of before, and it does make a lot of sense.

Anyway; Hosanna; watch Kick-Heart as soon as you have time. It's a fantastic little short film with a lot of style.

Kemonozume is about the raw and instinctive nature of humanity. At our very base nature things like personalities and relationships matter less than the immediate need and desire fueled at an animal level. That's what the show felt like to me. When things went south, characters started to be less like them "selves" and more like the monsters they wanted to fight. It's funny because the irony is that all along the series also shows that many monsters also struggle to try and be more "human" just to fit into society.

That's an interesting idea, but I don't believe that, and even if that is what Kemonozume intended to say, it could have done so in a much better manner.

It doesn't really matter that much anyway, because the important part is that in the end, love triumphs over all!

The love in Kaiba and Tatami Galaxy was conveyed more meaningfully.

I love all of Yuasa's work, though I definitely found Kemonozume and Mind Game to be weaker. Though I would like to add that I love Duckroll's perspective on Kemonozume; that's an angle that I hadn't thought of before, and it does make a lot of sense.

Anyway; Hosanna; watch Kick-Heart as soon as you have time. It's a fantastic little short film with a lot of style.

Yeah, I'll get to it one of these days.

Clov

I'm making people want to watch Kemonozume...? I'm not sure if I can handle this responsibility. Lol.

You should be happy that people are getting exposure to Yuasa's work! The more fans he gets the better.

Then once more people get into his work, surely Funimation will see the demand and give me that Tatami Galaxy Blu-Ray set I've been waiting for for five years. Surely.

Narag

Bad news everybody. Life's being done so I won't be able to finish Mazinger by the new year but I will endeavor to finish ZZ and the Ghiblis!

Cornbread78

I'm making people want to watch Kemonozume...? I'm not sure if I can handle this responsibility. Lol.

Well, your description was interesting. Plus, I have to travel to NYC Thursday for work, so it'll help pass time on the Acella. Not bad getting to go the city to have a happy hour with clients then a company holiday party, both at great sports bars right near MSG. Good times.

Which reminds me, are there any good anime shops in the city left? The Maid café closed,but I might have some free time later at night to chill and I'd rather not crash early in the hotel, lol. I'm hoping the Game stop in Harold Square has a copy of Hyperdimension Neptunia ReBirth for Vita, since I got 2 on PSN last week for $6 as well.

Kemonozume is amazing.

I don't think there's a single thing Yuasa has touched that I haven't thoroughly enjoyed. Kaiba, even with a somewhat weak ending, is one of my top 10 anime of all time. Tatami Galaxy is REALLY fucking close to that 10 spot too. Mind Game is a straight empowering trip and Ping Pong is fucking excellent.

He even did an episode of Adventure Time!

javac

Bad news everybody. Life's being done so I won't be able to finish Mazinger by the new year but I will endeavor to finish ZZ and the Ghiblis!

Don't worry about it, no need to meet an arbitrary goal and rush through everything. What did you think of Whisper of The Heart, why no five stars! :p Also, have you seen Only Yesterday yet?

Narag

Don't worry about it, no need to meet an arbitrary goal and rush through everything. What did you think of Whisper of The Heart, why no five stars! :p Also, have you seen Only Yesterday yet?

I think I need to rewatch whisper of the heart to make any meaningful judgement about it.

javac

I think I need to rewatch whisper of the heart to make any meaningful judgement about it.

That's fine. It was my first Ghibli film that I watched way back when so it holds a special place in my heart however I'd like to think that my love for it goes beyond sentimentality. Such a wonderful film, whenever I hear Country Road I just get a huge smile on my face and think of that film. Beautiful looking film too, tied with Only Yesterday as my favorite animated film of all time, Ghibli or otherwise but I obviously have a lot more to watch when it comes to anime films. Speaking of which, I should watch Jin-Roh at some point, its one of the seminal anime films (Patlabor, GITS, Akira) I haven't seen yet. It's not odd that I mentally group it with such films without even seeing it, right? They all seem cut from the same cloth.

Kemonozume is Yuasa's only good work.

Ping Pong.

Shokugeki no Soma 14

Alice's egg dish was something else. I want to know where I can eat it; it sounds delicious.

On the other hand, Soma's egg dish was probably the most attractive the food in this show has looked so far.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Shokugeki no Soma 14

Alice's egg dish was something else. I want to know where I can eat it; it sounds delicious.

On the other hand, Soma's egg dish was probably the most attractive the food in this show has looked so far.

some of the recent food in the manga is just mouthwatering ;__;

Alice's cooking is weird but cool since she isn't using a regional cuisine or a specific technique like almost everyone else but opts for gastronomy and science. I'm sure the stuff she makes is possible but I don't even know where you would get it.

And yeah, a few dishes that will be shown in S2 looked soooo good

isnt the cooking correspondent for soma able to make that stuff
shes rather well known isnt she?

Yes the cooking correspondent is a legit and acclaimed chef, but for Alice she uses stuff like (minor spoilers)
a hi tec blast freezer and a centrifuge
because she's a Nakiri and rich as fuck so I dunno.

javac

Changed my avatar and apparently there's like three others that have the same one now...why did I think that I could plant a flag on it? I'm such an idiot :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom