• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome games with bad boxart.

Addnan

I want to say the reason this game did not sell as well is because of the stupid cover of all the early prints.

I0Wl1Jf.png

Piscus

Yep. Japan got this:
tumblr_inline_n8pmt3dLcg1rmjx4g.jpg

...while everywhere else gets this:
monster_hunter_4_ultimate_us_box_art.jpg

Disgusting. It's like they WANT the series to fail everywhere else.

Fractal

Banned
This thread only reminded me how long was it from the last time I even had a chance to look at a boxart. Haven't purchased a retail game in years now...

I actually really like Snake Eater's boxart. In fact, I have a poster of it. Probably the only non-Shinkawa one I like. Except for MGS, but that was going for a minimalist style, which is cool.

Suikoden%20Cover.jpg

Awful and inconsistent with the game's aesthetic.
Hello, young Dan Aykroyd on the middle left and Kyle MacLachlan on the upper right!

system_shock_pc_box_art.png

It's pretty bad from an aesthetic point of view, but what really sets it apart is that SHODAN's appearance is supposed to be a late-game plot twist.
And they didn't even bother to use her real face: did they haven't the money for the rights or else?

Converse

Banned
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate? Shadow of the Colossus? No More Heroes? These are great games with great box art. Ya'll crazy.

Yeah, that American Monster Hunter 4 box art is a joke, though.

TheMoon

Yep. Japan got this:

You seriously need to update your world map. North America does not make up "everywhere else."

61x-k5yzhBL.jpg

Get real.

Laieon

Yep. Japan got this:

I don't play the series, but I actually like the bottom box art more. The top looks really busy, it's kind of hard to tell what's going on. The bottom also gives me a better idea of what I could expect if I did play the game since it shows a bigger variety in weapons/character classes.

Jakoo

Pikmin_cover_art.jpg

I always thought the PIkmin 1 artwork was a bit muddled. The focus of the shot is on one of the games enemies looking kind of derpy, and it's just overall kind of difficult to understand what is going on.

Pikmin 3's cover does a much better job of framing who the titular Pikmin actually are:

Screen-Shot-2013-04-17-at-7.43.38-AM.png

TokiDoki

Thread is off to a bad start it seems.

Anyway, here's a shitty trend in a lot of great game's boxarts: Dude standing walking towards you (or away) to look like a badass.

Dark_Souls_Cover_Art.jpg

This . I dont even know if he's facing front or back and those blue thingy don't make sense on what they are .

MrBadger

There's nothing wrong with the art itself, but I never liked how Americans portrayed Sonic with a weird mohawk, and they always made Eggman look really mean and scary with soulless black eyes when in the games he's a goofy walrus looking guy who's called Eggman. I always preferred the covers Japan and the UK got.

Also, Gimmick

What even is that face

This . I dont even know if he's facing front or back and those blue thingy don't make sense on what they are .

It's clear the character is walking away, into the blue "thingy' (which is a fog gate). The people in the fog probably are meant to represent other players/stuff (aka potential) behind the gate. It could be argued that it isn't a fog gate, but a flame that has been enkindled, and the characters are past adventurers (like the ghosts in the game) looking down on the character.

Zia

Alien: Isolation has what is probably the most elegant box art of any recent retail release. Terrible example.

zoukka

There's nothing wrong with the art itself, but I never liked how Americans portrayed Sonic with a weird mohawk, and they always made Eggman look really mean and scary with soulless black eyes when in the games he's a goofy walrus looking guy who's called Eggman. I always preferred the covers Japan and the UK got.

Nah this time the Japanese cover was way worse.

I don't think its fair to call covers bad in comparison. the covers should be able to stand on their own regardless if they are other versions then say if they are or good or not.

This is probably some of the best game artwork I've ever seen. It's like John Alvin or Drew Struzan's 80s movie posters, which defined the adventure genre.

I would kill for more game artwork like this.

This is why I hate these threads. People reveal themselves as having really poor taste.

DMiz

That's... great. It's characterful and charming and exudes Drake's arrogance. I really like it.

Agreed. I realize Drake's expression is a bit comical, but I've always felt that it was intended to kind of emulate Harrison Ford's expression in some of the Indiana Jones movies (which is clearly the homage being made with the cover overall).

Top Bottom