• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome games with bad boxart.

vctor182

metroid-prime-2-echoes-20040914103554566-001.jpg

latest

Metroid Prime 3's box art is especially atrocious. Why must there be a floating head?

Never noticed it until now, wow

Toxi

Banned
latest

Metroid Prime 3's box art is especially atrocious. Why must there be a floating head?
Somehow the Japanese version is even worse.

mprime3box_jap.jpg

Man, the Metroid Prime series has a rough history with box-art. Outside Prime trilogy and the Japanese box art for Prime 2, all of them are bad.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
I want to like it.

Surely you can at least appreciate the Hitman trilogy's cover art as an hommage to famous posters like Star Wars and Indiana Jones, both of which look amazing. So at least you can't fault the trilogy's cover for being lazy. I mean look at that Castlevania bullshit where they just put the game's box into the cover. At least they didn't do that with Hitman.

This is the first time I've seen this and I honestly love it.
ZJnBqKv.png

2/3 fail right there in the OP (Alien and SotC).

I always thought Rage had a particularly weak box art which explains nothing about the kind of game it is.

rage-pc-boxart.jpg

That's okay. RAGE didn't know what kind of game it was supposed to be anyway...

And I thought this was a thread about "awesome games" with bad boxart? RAGE doesn't qualify.

Thread is off to a bad start it seems.

Anyway, here's a shitty trend in a lot of great game's boxarts: Dude standing walking towards you (or away) to look like a badass.

Dark_Souls_Cover_Art.jpg
Yeah, Dark souls is so bad it kept me from playing the game for years. It's like the most generic thing ever.

Wow, never saw that bonfire one. So much better :(

EhoaVash

All the Zelda.games in recent hears have been ruined with NOA's stupid tradition to keep Zelda box
.. Fuckong gold :/

wind-waker-box.jpg

Ugly

Shatter hand is an amazing game. The box art makes me want to punch a douche.
29966e96.jpg

And of course, never forget Golden Eye...
1215766-090622_007_unsee_it.jpg

And not bad because it's bad, but because some people like half assing their jobs...
okami_cover_wii.jpg

2/3 fail right there in the OP (Alien and SotC).

I always thought Rage had a particularly weak box art which explains nothing about the kind of game it is.

rage-pc-boxart.jpg

Wow. Talk about a difference of opinion. I think the cover for Rage is pretty great, actually. I like how it communicates the feeling of a desolate wasteland, with crumbled and ruined building in the background forming the logo text. Although it's arguably better at communicating what the game wants be, rather than what it actually is.

If by "bland" you mean "awesome", sure.

My pick:

system_shock_pc_box_art.png

It's pretty bad from an aesthetic point of view, but what really sets it apart is that SHODAN's appearance is supposed to be a late-game plot twist. Uh, spoiler alert. This isn't even getting into the [transmission interrupted] on the back.

Regiruler

I have to agree. They started using shitty ass copypasted renders of monsters and the hunters instead of the great art of the older games.

From this:

to this:

mh3urdbox_610.jpg

I think the 3Ultimate boxart has much more color. I prefer it over tri immensely.

Meanwhile 4 is a wreck.

sweenster

20121203_bioshock_infinite_cover.jpg

Totally made up for it with the reverse cover though

Also wouldn't call Infinite awesome, but that is just my opinion

Top Bottom