• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome games with bad boxart.

Forkball

A game I'm playing now comes to mind.

Metroid_Prime_Trilogy.jpg

For the longest time, I had no idea that Samus was on this cover firing her weapon. I thought the glowing circle was the morph ball or something.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
The Fuck?

Alien's Boxart is awesome, perfectly conveys what that game is all about.

TheMoon

How has a that called awesome game with bad box art gone this long without Mass Effect 2?
MassEffect2_cover.PNG

How has someone complaining about something crucial missing from the thread not actually read the thread they're complaining about?

For the longest time, I had no idea that Samus was on this cover firing her weapon. I thought the glowing circle was the morph ball or something.

This is the actual box art:

2550133-mptrilogy.jpg

The Wii banner is just a plastic/cardboard sleeve (depends on the region)

Pikmin_cover_art.jpg

I always thought the PIkmin 1 artwork was a bit muddled. The focus of the shot is on one of the games enemies looking kind of derpy, and it's just overall kind of difficult to understand what is going on.

Pikmin 3's cover does a much better job of framing who the titular Pikmin actually are:

Screen-Shot-2013-04-17-at-7.43.38-AM.png

Pikmin 3's cover is fucking awesome, yeah.

petran79

Banned
LBA1 had a much better cover

LBA2%20Box%20Front%20UK%202.jpg

Also I found this cover atrocious back then. Hardly capturing the game's atmosphere

1943_front.jpg

Also I was surprised that Ecstatica 2 had that bad cover

ecstatica2.jpg

I bought this version instead

Ecs2_eucover.jpg

Also this cover. Game was inferior to DK1, still it was decent. But DK1 had much better cover

1304_f1.jpg

Dice//

Banned
THE PS2 era was especially bad for using "PS2 era graphics" (which were kinda...yucky) as game covers. Worse was using iffy graphics instead of the beautiful artwork of the era.

The Breath of Fire V one shines here. They're not even in the same visual perspective.
320px-Breath_of_Fire_V_logo.JPG

Meanwhile, the JP cover shows EVERY RELEVANT CHARACTER in a dynamic assembly.
Breath_of_Fire_-_Dragon_Quarter_Coverart.png

The Tales series has FINALLY learned to use the key art MADE for promotional purposes, but the older titles used terrible Photoshopping to arrange character in whatever-the-fuck manner, slapping status art, Mystic Arte cut-ins (fighting artwork for certain attacks, in other words), a really shitty shot of the main hero, and the "cute mascot"'s official hand-drawn artwork (while the rest is digital art). It's a mess. Then the cherry on the cake is the Photoshop filter background.
Talesoftheabyss_us.jpg

Tales of Vesperia takes the cake. Not only does it put a supporting cast member in the very front, but adds some awful car flame-job weaving through it for NO good reason. Hideous. I have no idea what they were thinking with this.
20141027102457!Tales_of_Vesperia_Game_Cover.jpg

SmithnCo

Holy shit. I thought it was like, a view from inside her gun or something.

Ffixbox.jpg

Why is the American boxart so shit?
Because it subscribes to the same logic a lot of movie folk do by seemingly believing that you can make a suitable poster/cover art out of a photoshopped collage of separate characters over a screenshot of an event from the movie(or in this case, a still from the arrive of Lindblum).

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
THE PS2 era was especially bad for using "PS2 era graphics" (which were kinda...yucky) as game covers. Worse was using iffy graphics instead of the beautiful artwork of the era.

The Breath of Fire V one shines here. They're not even in the same visual perspective.
320px-Breath_of_Fire_V_logo.JPG

Meanwhile, the JP cover shows EVERY RELEVANT CHARACTER in a dynamic assembly.
Breath_of_Fire_-_Dragon_Quarter_Coverart.png

The Tales series has FINALLY learned to use the key art MADE for promotional purposes, but the older titles used terrible Photoshopping to arrange character in whatever-the-fuck manner, slapping status art, Mystic Arte cut-ins (fighting artwork for certain attacks, in other words), a really shitty shot of the main hero, and the "cute mascot"'s official hand-drawn artwork (while the rest is digital art). It's a mess. Then the cherry on the cake is the Photoshop filter background.
Talesoftheabyss_us.jpg

Tales of Vesperia takes the cake. Not only does it put a supporting cast member in the very front, but adds some awful car flame-job weaving through it for NO good reason. Hideous. I have no idea what they were thinking with this.
20141027102457!Tales_of_Vesperia_Game_Cover.jpg

I love all of these, that vesperia box art is beautiful :(

My picks are pretty much covered. Ico, MGS4, Yakuza 3, Dark Souls 1/2. I actually dislike any cover with CG-type assets used. I prefer the covers with art instead, and that they be a minimal. Less flashy, to me, is more attention grabbing than something like MGS4's Snake face.

kubus

Deadly_Creatures.jpg

Such a shame, I thought the game was pretty great. The logo and cover art just make it seem like a really cheap and bland shovelware game.

zma1013

I'm surprised to see so many not knowing what the Metroid Prime Trilogy boxart is. The very first time i saw it i instantly recognized it as her pointing the cannon directly at me.

epmode

There's nothing wrong with the art itself, but I never liked how Americans portrayed Sonic with a weird mohawk, and they always made Eggman look really mean and scary with soulless black eyes when in the games he's a goofy walrus looking guy who's called Eggman.

Robotnik.

His name is Dr. Robotnik.

Have you asked him if he ever played, or even just saw a screenshot of the game before drawing the cover?

He said he loved the game and only saw some pictures of it. It was a small commission (this is the most I remember from talking to him when I was a kid. He still lives in the same place. His kids are all huge geeks now too.

Umm if you are serious, EBAY THAT SHIT FOR MILLIONS.

I lost it so many years ago when I was young lol. I also lost the Weezer vinyl of their first album (Blue) that was signed by every member at their first concert ever. Yes, I don't know what was wrong with me as a kid/teen. I'm pretty sure I threw it out when I was organizing my room one day and trying to focus on school.

So, how old is that guy today? I would guess 30?

He's probably in his 50s haha.

nowarning

I thought Half-Life 2 collector's/tin/whatever the hell it is edition was rubbish, it's just a slimline DVD case with a black cover and the HL2 logo. Can't seem to find a picture anywhere.

I'm not sure why some people like it but i thought the alternative cover was just as bad as the original....Well maybe not as bad but its still pretty awful.

cover_close-upDESIGN04.jpg

I'm playing through Nier right now and it's pretty awesome, the box-art on the other hand is pretty bad.

Nier's cover is fine IMO. Father Nier is a hideous dude, but there's no fixing that aside from a paper bag over the face.
I think it makes him more relatable/humanized as a character. I play plenty of JRPGs and I've had my fill of bishonen protagonists.
The game itself is Best of the Generation for me.

I'm not sure Karnaaj Rally qualifies as an "awesome game." Ugly as shit cover tho.

Top Bottom