• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Backward Compatibility And The Double Edged Sword That It Is

mmorg

Neo Member
Another interesting point is, what happens to PS plus games that I got for my ps4. will they work on ps5 ?. which means I won't be buying any new games for a while cuz I will just play all those games rock solid 60 fps or 30 without stutter.

ph33rknot

Banned
Picture the scene: you just put down 500 hard-earned readies for the new and advanced Xbox Two Pro Scarlett. You unbox your shiny new toy and plug it into your 52-inch 4K HDR TV.

You think 'I know, I'm gonna load up that old gem Crackdown 3. It played like a 2007 game when it was released in 2019, and I'll enjoy it even more in 2020' .

Being serious, the point is this; on a next gen console there should be enough content to keep you busy for a long ass time. If you're considering old BC games right away it means content is lacking (that goes for PS5 too). Sure it's a handy feature. But not at the expense of boundary-pushing next gen AAAA titles.

I mean after 8 years PS5/XboxTwo will be unshackled from the constraints of a Jaguar netbook CPU with their first-party output. I want to be far too busy getting my mind blown in Horizon Zero Dawn 2 than thinking of loading up Sea of Thieves. If I want that I'll just plug in an Xbox One.
or maybe you play hzd2 and it's ass they just messed it up bad but you need to scratch that itch so you play the first one again and you don't even have to drag the ps4 out

nikolino840

Picture the scene: you just put down 500 hard-earned readies for the new and advanced Xbox Two Pro Scarlett. You unbox your shiny new toy and plug it into your 52-inch 4K HDR TV.

You think 'I know, I'm gonna load up that old gem Crackdown 3. It played like a 2007 game when it was released in 2019, and I'll enjoy it even more in 2020' .

Being serious, the point is this; on a next gen console there should be enough content to keep you busy for a long ass time. If you're considering old BC games right away it means content is lacking (that goes for PS5 too). Sure it's a handy feature. But not at the expense of boundary-pushing next gen AAAA titles.

I mean after 8 years PS5/XboxTwo will be unshackled from the constraints of a Jaguar netbook CPU with their first-party output. I want to be far too busy getting my mind blown in Horizon Zero Dawn 2 than thinking of loading up Sea of Thieves. If I want that I'll just plug in an Xbox One.
So...if Sony made a ps5 hzd remaster you are not interested to buy right?
How many PS3 remastered you have on your ps4?

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Isn’t that because it cost too much to put a ps2 cpu in every ps3? And then the PS3 has its issues with CELL so emulation is even harder there.
Hey tried some ways... full hardware, only CPU, and full emulation to the end remove it completely.

The best BC are the launch model with full PS2 CPU/GPU.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Another interesting point is, what happens to PS plus games that I got for my ps4. will they work on ps5 ?. which means I won't be buying any new games for a while cuz I will just play all those games rock solid 60 fps or 30 without stutter.
This is kind of what Microsoft is banking on: by offering backwards compatibility for their old catalogue along with not-insignificant upgrades to the games, they can compensate for an overall lack of new titles. Almost every new system suffers from this problem after it launches. To be able to use enhanced versions of your old games may not have been as important in the past because a big part of upgrading your system was to play drastically improved games. Nowadays, the payoff for graphical advancement is smaller and smaller.

The mid-gen upgrades like New 3DS, X1X, and PS4 Pro demonstrate that customers are willing to buy new hardware if it plays their older games better. If a brand-new next-gen PS5 can play my old games better than even a PS4 Pro, why not just get a PS5? I could have zero intention of buying new PS5 games yet that'd be a good value proposition to me.

Nowadays, a lot of people just wants a box that plays Minecraft, Fortnite, Rocket League, and a few other titles throughout the year. If future consoles can entice retro gamers with definitive hardware for playing their old games, they're more likely to buy your system and perhaps buy a few more new games as well. It's all about getting people tied into your ecosystem in today's market.

Last edited:

Dave3

Neo Member
The recent patent rumors suggest they may have figured out the PS3 issues.

Also sorry about the grammar error in my last post. I accidentally posted while I was still editing and it seems that my post count is too low to allow editing?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
The attach rate for PS4 owners is about 9.6 games. Since we know there are tons of PS4 gamers who own far more than 10 games, that means a lot of households only have three to five games (the Minecraft, Fortnite, and yearly Madden players I mentioned above).

The players who own more than the average are your "hardcore" customers who are already locked into your ecosystem. Getting them onboard is easy whether you have backwards compatibility or not. The people who own fewer than 10 games aren't interested in a new system with a ton of new, foreign games. They are typically your late adopters. However, maybe you can entice them with "this plays your whole library with a lot of extra enhancements, too".

BC hasn't made a huge difference so far, but maybe this time it'll be different.

Winter John

Gold Member
The attach rate for PS4 owners is about 9.6 games. Since we know there are tons of PS4 gamers who own far more than 10 games, that means a lot of households only have three to five games (the Minecraft, Fortnite, and yearly Madden players I mentioned above).

The players who own more than the average are your "hardcore" customers who are already locked into your ecosystem. Getting them onboard is easy whether you have backwards compatibility or not. The people who own fewer than 10 games aren't interested in a new system with a ton of new, foreign games. They are typically your late adopters. However, maybe you can entice them with "this plays your whole library with a lot of extra enhancements, too".

BC hasn't made a huge difference so far, but maybe this time it'll be different.

I have more than 10 games and getting me "onboard" won't be happening if the PS5 doesn't offer bc. The reason bc hasn't made a big difference so far on consoles is because digital game librarys weren't a big thing in previous console gens. Now they are and it's ridiculous to expect people, especially hardcore gamers to give them up and just move on. Try doing that with pc owners and there'd be riots

Dave3

Neo Member
I think BC will be a valuable tool for both Microsoft and Sony this upcoming generation to help ensure that your hardcore user base stays on board with you into the next gen instead of switching to the competition.

For example; you might be tempted to switch to XBOX knowing all the studios the Microsoft has recently bought. However the idea of holding on to your previous gen Sony libraries may be help entice you to stay on board with Sony as well.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I have more than 10 games and getting me "onboard" won't be happening if the PS5 doesn't offer bc. The reason bc hasn't made a big difference so far on consoles is because digital game librarys weren't a big thing in previous console gens. Now they are and it's ridiculous to expect people, especially hardcore gamers to give them up and just move on. Try doing that with pc owners and there'd be riots
So you're saying as a current owner of PS4 and as an above-average customer of their brand, you won't be sticking with this brand unless your existing games are supported?

RedVIper

Banned
As I consumer I really think consoles should have BC.

As a business I would think BC is a good idea because it keeps people locked in your ecosystem, if I have a bunch of games on my ps4 and they're supported on ps5, I'm much less likely to switch to the green team where I'd be unable to play those games.

DanielsM

Banned
As I consumer I really think consoles should have BC.

As a business I would think BC is a good idea because it keeps people locked in your ecosystem, if I have a bunch of games on my ps4 and they're supported on ps5, I'm much less likely to switch to the green team where I'd be unable to play those games.

It means more going forward because we are approaching the end of Moore's Law unless there is some significant new development in technology, they'll be releasing NEW PS4 games for quite some time, the PS5 could easily be around 12+ years and be relevant. The differences between gens is basically a resolution and framerate ability, although raytracking could be a slight difference maker, imo.

You're coming to the end of the road, the road know will be built in front of us while we drive 5mph.

Last edited:

vkbest

I genuinely do not understand the large contingent that thinks backwards compatibility is a killer app. History says it is not. I really don't understand.

Personally, I never wanted to play a PS3 game on my PS4.

1) History before of this generation says that first 2 months games sell 80% sales. But now with digital sales, people are buying games 3-5 years old. Current market is pretty different from older generations.
2) Remasters have been doing great this generation.
3) With current aggressive sales people are doing a huge backlogs digitally, do you think people will lose those games gladly?

Last edited:
BC is a good feature but by no means is a primary purchasing factor.

However, with the rise of MP, services, digital libraries and the like now it is worth it for every platform to be BC so that they may keep the user base more easily. it's convenient for the user and it translates into more sales for companies. Win-win to me.

On other note, I think we all know that BC, like crossplay, will stop being important as soon as Sony adopts it.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Gamers go back to play timeless classics, that’s the reason Backwards compatibility remains such a highly desirable feature.

I can only speak for myself, I have used BC a lot and now I can't imagine going into the next gen without keeping those OG Xbox, 360 and XBO games.

Winter John

Gold Member
So you're saying as a current owner of PS4 and as an above-average customer of their brand, you won't be sticking with this brand unless your existing games are supported?

Absolutely. I'll either move to pc or back to the XBox. I don't understand why people think bc on consoles is some kind of outlandish feature that no one would want. As I've already said it's a standard on pc. If people bought a new pc or IPad and discovered they couldn't play their Steam or IOS games there would be mass outrage. I don't see why it should be any different for consoles these days.

Komatsu

I would not have bought PS2 without PS1 BC and a Wii would have been a way less enticing prospect if I couldn't play my GC library in there as well. BC was a huge thing in the 2000s, which is why the original fat PS3 could play PS1 and PS2 games out of the box. In fact, the only home machine Sony has ever produced that does not play PS1 discs is precisely the PS4.

Many parents back then made their big, one-per-generation purchase of a console for their kids taking into consideration whether Jimmy or Sallie would be able to play the dozens of discs they already owned in the new machine.

Sure, the gaming landscape has changed a lot since then, but still most families would definitively take that into consideration.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I would be absolutely thrilled if I could play my PS3 and PS4 digital libraries on PS5. If that's a feature then I'm there day 1 with cash in hand. I have so many digital games on PS3. I keep one in my entertainment center so I have my Mass Effect collection with full DLC there when I want it.

A lot of people trot out the new console/new games speech, but good games don't stop being good because they're old. Some games deserve to live on forever.

Last edited:
I genuinely do not understand the large contingent that thinks backwards compatibility is a killer app. History says it is not. I really don't understand.

Personally, I never wanted to play a PS3 game on my PS4.

honestly. i just want to play older gen games at constant framerate. also. i dont want to have many consoles out

I dont want to go out and buy a used ps3 or an overpriced new PS3 when my old console dies eventually.

BC used to be a thing every generatiion upto the 6th console gen.

Top Bottom