• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bates Motel Season 2 |OT| Mondays 9/8pm Central

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izayoi

Banned
I loved all of the weed and sexual tension in the first season, especially with the hot teacher (seriously 10/10 would fuck daily, WTF was Norman thinking).

watch last night's episode here - http://aetv.us/1dXNJAK (region locked am cry?)

1981840_599013823509207_440005574_n.png

Mononoke

Banned
This show is just enjoyable to watch. You know it will never be great. But it always hits the right notes of being campy/mysterious. Love it.

Freddie Highmore's acting during the first two or three scenes had me questioning my own judgement for enjoying his work during the first season... but then he got better, almost as if he needed those scenes to get back into the role.

Overall the episode was pretty fun. I don't know if I'm onboard for another full season but I'll be there next week.

It's possible that as Norman's quirks become less subdued, Highmore is unable to keep up as an actor. Like I said above it wasn't bad the whole way through, but that funeral scene was... ugh.

I was pleasantly surprised when Bradley jumped off the bridge, then disappointed when she survived. I laughed at Norma at the community board meeting. There's A level shows that would include True Detective, Game of Thrones, and Mad Men, B level shows that would include Shameless, Hannibal and Justified, and C level shows would be The Walking Dead and Bates Motel. C level shows have just enough to make you keep watching, but you would forget about very quickly if they get canned. B level shows you'd get sad that they got canceled. A level shows you can't stop thinking about and would get really depressed if they weren't renewed.

Snake

I could be wrong but I took that funeral scene as intentionally making Norman whimper loudly and obnoxiously to the point where everyone noticed him and were embarrassed by the awkwardness. I didn't see it as a failure on Freddie Highmore's part.

I could be wrong but I took that funeral scene as intentionally making Norman whimper loudly and obnoxiously to the point where everyone noticed him and were embarrassed by the awkwardness. I didn't see it as a failure on Freddie Highmore's part.

Are you saying the character was fake crying? Because it looked like someone pretending to cry and failing miserably at it. So if that's what the script called for, then great job.

Snake

Are you saying the character was fake crying? Because it looked like someone pretending to cry and failing miserably at it. So if that's what the script called for, then great job.

No I mean that it was meant to be extremely awkward for all involved (like everything Norman does), so they had Highmore do some cringeworthy crying. That's the way I interpreted the scene at least.

No I mean that it was meant to be extremely awkward for all involved (like everything Norman does), so they had Highmore do some cringeworthy crying. That's the way I interpreted the scene at least.

That's the thing though, regardless of the cringe that was not crying to me. I understand your interpretation but that doesn't excuse the unconvincing acting. Crying on camera is the hardest thing an actor is called upon to do, and many (if not the majority of) professionally paid actors can't pull it off. For that reason I can't fault Highmore too much, but I guess the "over-the-top" nature of the crying as dictated by the scene accentuated the problem.

i hope dylan throws away that notepad. i know it could be any notepad but still.

looks like next week's episode we get some guy x norman romance going on.

Leeness

Norma singing her little heart out.

Also, so unexcited about that ending.
I could really do without Norma's incestuous rapist brother on the show. The story was enough.

Norma singing her little heart out.

Also, so unexcited about that ending.
I could really do without Norma's incestuous rapist brother on the show. The story was enough.

He's played by Lem from The Shield, so I assume
he is going to die in some horrific way.

zeemumu

I just started this series and I'm nearly done with season 1. Is anyone else slightly bothered by the way that Bradley always seems completely devoid of emotion?

it was only bad when they made her say ang and not aang

No, alot of the lines were pretty bad. Line delivery was so so horrible and the bad emotions on their faces didn't help at all.

It's a b-movie like most M. Night films.

On Topic:

I want to see the next episode so bad. I must. I need it in my veins.

zeemumu

No, alot of the lines were pretty bad. Line delivery was so so horrible and the bad emotions on their faces didn't help at all.

On Topic:

She seems to maintain the same tone of voice for everything. She did that in The Last Airbender too.

On Topic:

But... Bates Motel is a B-show.

I haven't seen The Last Airbender but from what I hear it's much worse than a B-movie. Sounds like it's an atrociously bad movie.

But... Bates Motel is a B-show.

I haven't seen The Last Airbender but from what I hear it's much worse than a B-movie. Sounds like it's an atrociously bad movie.

Bates Motel at least has her at least try to defy the boundaries of acting compared to her casting in Transformers or anything like Last Airbender. Bates Motel is like her only good role that she has had. She does better on TV than she does in film which is saying alot or she just can't seem to understand a bad script but she's young so maybe she'll try to go for some good movies in the future but she seems like she'll but stuck doing TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom