• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Batman: Arkham Asylum' (PS3/X360/PC) Officially Announced

Sascha23

Banned
Tedesco! said:
You forgot Aliens.

I would say Ridley Scott's original Alien was by far the best of the series. Had a very different concept than the others.

Also, Christopher Nolan is godlike.

Didn't mean to pull away from the topic.

Alien > Kiss Kiss Bang Bang > The Dark Knight > Aliens > Batman Begins.

I ordered The Joker graphic novel btw, since we've apparently run out of things to discuss regarding the game. Ordered it a week ago actually. Hope it didn't disappear along the way. The Joker gets his lovin on the run after all.

Zeliard

pixel monkey said:
It's interesting that the power and resonance of Nolan's Gotham can clearly be seen in Arkham Asylum as well, in Batman's more realistic, re-designed body armor-like suit and the Joker's make-up.

It'll be interesting to see just how big an influence The Dark Knight has had on this game, or if it'll even be possible to tell for certain since both the film and the game are likely using the same sources of inspiration (Frank Miller and Jeph Loeb's work, mainly).

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Pre-ordered after hearing the reviews. The Scarecrow map you get with the GameStop pre-order should be interesting.

No45

Do we have news of any UK (Or EU) related pre-order bonuses for this? I don't recall seeing anything yet, but I assume we'll be able to get that Scarecrow map somehow without paying?

EDIT: Oh, looks like it's a GAME pre-order bonus. And they have the game at £39.99 at the moment. :(

No45 said:
Do we have news of any UK (Or EU) related pre-order bonuses for this? I don't recall seeing anything yet, but I assume we'll be able to get that Scarecrow map somehow without paying?

EDIT: Oh, looks like it's a GAME pre-order bonus. And they have the game at £39.99 at the moment. :(

It's unfortunate not only that the whole of Europe continues to get raped on new release prices, but also that these pre-order bonuses are tied to specific retailers.

If Rocksteady and Eidos have this or that particular DLC, it really should be made available to any and everyone who was kind enough to purchase their software.

And that goes for all publishers and developers...this has become a disgusting trend in recent months.

No45

It'll probably work out cheaper to buy it from [insert shop name that will soon have the game available for pre-order at ~£30 or less] and buy the Scarecrow map when it gets its inevitable DLC release anyway.

EzLink

Banned
I played the demo

7 times

Oh
my
god

It was sort of like a preteen girl seeing a midnight showing of the newest Zac Efron movie, or like a vampire gorging himself on some particularly succulent AB+. But no, it was much better than that. What I felt like was a Batman fan finally feeling like I was fucking Batman. From the way all of the characters are presented, to the phenomenally nostalgic voicework, to the spot on music, to the fantastic art design and graphics, to the brutally magnificient combat, to the shadow stalking stealth segments to everything in between, here is FINALLY a game that does the character and his rich universe justice.

If the full game is as good as the demo indicated it will be, there is no doubt that this will be my GotY, and maybe my favorite action game of all time. I fucking couldn't get enough of it. It seems like it will have a RE4 effect on me, where I'll be able to replay the campaign again and again withoug tiring of it. Not to mention all of the Riddler trophies to find.

My favorite aspect of the game is probably head on combat. Batman just looks so fucking graceful and badass as he's beating the fuck out of Joker's goons.

11 days left! :D

Ephemeris

EzLink said:
I played the demo

7 times

Oh
my
god

It was sort of like a preteen girl seeing a midnight showing of the newest Zac Efron movie, or like a vampire gorging himself on some particularly succulent AB+. But no, it was much better than that. What I felt like was a Batman fan finally feeling like I was fucking Batman. From the way all of the characters are presented, to the phenomenally nostalgic voicework, to the spot on music, to the fantastic art design and graphics, to the brutally magnificient combat, to the shadow stalking stealth segments to everything in between, here is FINALLY a game that does the character and his rich universe justice.

If the full game is as good as the demo indicated it will be, there is no doubt that this will be my GotY, and maybe my favorite action game of all time. I fucking couldn't get enough of it. It seems like it will have a RE4 effect on me, where I'll be able to replay the campaign again and again withoug tiring of it. Not to mention all of the Riddler trophies to find.

My favorite aspect of the game is probably head on combat. Batman just looks so fucking graceful and badass as he's beating the fuck out of Joker's goons.

11 days left! :D

Awesome, isn't it? :D

And damn you 13x Combo. You continue to elude me. AGAIN.

Strike

Shake Appeal said:
Reviews update:

[English]
GamesMaster: 96%
Game Informer: 9.5 (Second Opinion: 9.5)
Xbox World 360: 95%
PlayStation Beyond: 9.0
The Official Playstation Magazine (UK): 9/10
Playstation: The Official Magazine (US): 9/10
Official Xbox Magazine (Australia): 9/10
Total Film: 5/5
Focus: 5/5

[German]
ConsolPLUS/Consol.AT: 91%
M! Games: 90%
360 Live: 90% (Reader Review: 88%)
Play³: 90%
GamesTM: 9/10
PS3M: 9/10

[French]
Jeux Vidéo Magazine: 19/20
PSM3: 19/20

[Scandinavian]
Pelaaja: 10/10
Gamereactor: 9/10

Looking good. Looking really good...

Strike said:

Those numbers put Arkham in Game of the Year contention. More and more, this title is reminding me of Bioshock a few years back. Not only due to the incredible atmosphere, but also how it came out of nowhere to be one of, if not the, best titles of the year.

Minamu said:
27th in Sweden according Gamestop (asked today while preordering AC2, U2 & BL).

Gamestop is in fucking Sweden, now? Christ. Are there any locally owned game shops? Doesn't IKEA sell videogames? They sell everyfuckingthingelse. :lol

EDIT: "everyfuckingthingelse" is a registered trademark of the IKEA corporation. Along with KLAPTA, FLEUGEN and any other fucked up names for furniture they can come up with.

Minamu said:
27th in Sweden according Gamestop (asked today while preordering AC2, U2 & BL).
Because of the trade-in offers I presume. Gonna trade in two old junk games for Uncharted 2 myself. Finally WWE 2009 will do some good. How does it work though, do you have to trade in PS3 games if you're pre-ordering a PS3 game?

Strike said:
Yes and no. A lot of those are official mags, and the rumours about Eidos vetting reviews that gave 9+ are still fresh in the memory. Pelaaja and Game Informer have decent reputations, but it'll be interesting to see what the rest of the press thinks on the 21st.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Shake Appeal said:
Yes and no. A lot of those are official mags, and the rumours about Eidos vetting reviews that gave 9+ are still fresh in the memory. Pelaaja and Game Informer have decent reputations, but it'll be interesting to see what the rest of the press thinks on the 21st.

The rest of the press failed already.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/101/1011318p1.html

''I'm not telling you that it's the Game of the Year or anything''

FAIL

Minamu

VibratingDonkey said:
Because of the trade-in offers I presume. Gonna trade in two old junk games for Uncharted 2 myself. Finally WWE 2009 will do some good. How does it work though, do you have to trade in PS3 games if you're pre-ordering a PS3 game?
Yep trade 2 ps3 titles & get the game for 1 SEK (10 cents or so). I bought 2 used games & traded them right there. Then I bought the same used games again. And again :lol I got 3 new games for little more than the price of 1. Didn't want to preorder Bayonetta yet, AA is already booked & MW2 didn't have this deal yet.

pixel monkey said:
Gamestop is in fucking Sweden, now? Christ. Are there any locally owned game shops? Doesn't IKEA sell videogames? They sell everyfuckingthingelse. :lol
Yeah, they were called EB Games up until 07/08 or so. GAME & Gamestop are the biggest stores. Local stores are pretty much non-existent if you don't count webstores, our equivalents to walmart/best buy & toy stores like toys'r'us. IKEA have no games afaik (I have one of those about 5 kilometers from my house :lol) but our bigger food chains have small electronics departments. Their prices suck though ;) I'm gonna buy Beatles: Rock Band at one of those though. I have some coupons which gives me about 120$ off any purchase :p

Edit: Oh, and that Gamereactor review mentioned earlier. It had AA on the cover & their second opinion gave it an 8/10. Their rep is worse than Acti's though. And the magazine is free, so... They need the money I guess :)

Yoboman

pixel monkey said:
Those numbers put Arkham in Game of the Year contention. More and more, this title is reminding me of Bioshock a few years back. Not only due to the incredible atmosphere, but also how it came out of nowhere to be one of, if not the, best titles of the year.
Bioshock came out of nowhere?

As far as I can remember, the early Bioshock reviews thread had plenty of people proclaiming that the game had "come out of nowhere", and plenty more fans of the title, including Levine-Irrational fanboys like me, rolling their eyes and laughing.

Shake Appeal said:

Thanks for that as I work for Pelaaja

From my experience, we had nothing like that and having talked to a lot of other editor in chief's, no one's had that sorta treatment from Eidos on this game, so I'm not sure where the rumour started. I know we all feel bad because Rocksteady doesn't deserve any shit from their publisher - the game's just really fucking good.

And btw, I'm really curious if you guys get stuck on the Spirit of Arkham, the last puzzle of that whole Riddler's challenge thing...its pretty awesome, but difficult to figure out.

pixel monkey said:

EDIT: "everyfuckingthingelse" is a registered trademark of the IKEA corporation. Along with KLAPTA, FLEUGEN and any other fucked up names for furniture they can come up with.

Offtopic, Gamespot is really killing the independets and smaller games stores out there. You know that with some publishers their marketing money is spent on these bring publisher X's game to us to get Publisher Z's game far, far cheaper...nasty.

Solo

To to derail, but speaking of Bioshock, while I was 110% thrilled with the 1950's/60's era underwater utopia they ended up going with, I must admit that I was rather saddened to see them abandon the look of the early concept art, which appeared to be much more sci-fi based and SS-esque.

No45 said:

Game = Scarecrow challenge map.

http://www.game.co.uk/lowdown.aspx?lid=11321&cm_sp=E3-_-pagelinks-_-batmanarkham

Play = Pre-Order with Play.com and receive a token to unlock the in-game Armoured Batsuit (see image below). Take on all the challenge maps in this powerful alternative costume. Codes and instructions will be sent week of release.

http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/6362921/Batman-Arkham-Asylum/Product.html

DrBo42

Working hard to get the official thread done folks. Will indeed go live today. Hope you guys like it, it's no Metal Gear Solid 4 epic, but it's okay. :lol

RiotPelaaja said:
From my experience, we had nothing like that and having talked to a lot of other editor in chief's, no one's had that sorta treatment from Eidos on this game, so I'm not sure where the rumour started. I know we all feel bad because Rocksteady doesn't deserve any shit from their publisher - the game's just really fucking good.
Good to hear.

Varth

RiotPelaaja said:
Thanks for that as I work for Pelaaja

And btw, I'm really curious if you guys get stuck on the Spirit of Arkham, the last puzzle of that whole Riddler's challenge thing...its pretty awesome, but difficult to figure out.

True. Maybe it's the best part of the game as a whole, being the less "guided" puzzle. I wish there were more like that, really. What if riddles weren't tied to a specific area? How cool it would have been to figure them out during the quest?

CiSTM

Banned
I was watching friend playing the game and I have to say it's fucking cool. It really feels and looks like Batman game and it's tied to the universe really well. Paul Dini did excellent job. And the voice actors are really great. I was big fan of the animated series (1992-1995) and it really warmed my heart to hear Mark Hamill (Joker) and Kevin Conroy (Batman) back in action :) The Investigation mode was new to me (haven't been following the game) and it really reminded me of Metroid Prime. It was cool add to the game.

Can't wait to play it myself.

luffeN

amazon.de has the limited pc version for 61 with the batterang. don't know if it's cheap, but it certainly does not appear to be expensive click

Nachkebia

Banned
Shake Appeal said:
Reviews update:

[English]
GamesMaster: 96%
Game Informer: 9.5 (Second Opinion: 9.5)
Xbox World 360: 95%
PlayStation Beyond: 9.0
The Official Playstation Magazine (UK): 9/10
Playstation: The Official Magazine (US): 9/10
Official Xbox Magazine (Australia): 9/10
Total Film: 5/5
Focus: 5/5

[German]
ConsolPLUS/Consol.AT: 91%
M! Games: 90%
360 Live: 90% (Reader Review: 88%)
Play³: 90%
GamesTM: 9/10
PS3M: 9/10

[French]
Jeux Vidéo Magazine: 19/20
PSM3: 19/20

[Scandinavian]
Pelaaja: 10/10
Gamereactor: 9/10

wow

Prine

Banned
Zeliard said:
It'll be interesting to see just how big an influence The Dark Knight has had on this game, or if it'll even be possible to tell for certain since both the film and the game are likely using the same sources of inspiration (Frank Miller and Jeph Loeb's work, mainly).

I enjoyed the game as much as i did is because of the nods it gave to Nolans Batman. The music, the emphasis on being a detective, the exaggeration has been toned down, taking place in the narrows and of course the inclusion of Lucious Fox (unknown to me until Begins). Everything new i learend from BB and TDK is there.

I dont read comic books, so the only exposure i've had is the cartoons and movies. Nolans universe being perfect and believable (hate Burtons movies).

Top Bottom