• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Return to Arkham announced (AA AC Demaster), UE4, Virtuos (of FFX fame)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
seems really odd to me that they chose UE4 for remasters and not for Arkham Knight. was UE4 still just rough at that point?
In 2012, UE4 wasn't really ready for something like this to my understanding.

We're only seeing UE4 retail games hit consoles now.

th4tguy

seems really odd to me that they chose UE4 for remasters and not for Arkham Knight. was UE4 still just rough at that point?

AK was going to be cross platform so they had to go with UE3. Midway through development they decided they would have to compromise too much to get it working on both but had put too much work into it on UE3 to switch to UE4, so instead they pushed forward with it on UE3 (heavily modified if I remember correctly). This is probably part of the reason it was so tough getting the PC version running well as a different team was handling the port and having to wrap their head around all the modifications made.

KingBroly

Banned
In 2012, UE4 wasn't really ready for something like this to my understanding.

We're only seeing UE4 retail games hit consoles now.

I don't get why this is on UE4 when it doesn't need it.

Arkham Knight definitely needs it, though. But I doubt they'd put the work in to do it, especially for a PC version.

cr0w

Old Member
Great news. Really looking forward to Asylum, bummed about Origins. Asylum and Origins are my favorites in the series, hands down. I actively disliked AK and City disappointed me with its ridiculous story, though the gameplay was great.

Brizzo24

The game looks so damn good on the 360, which I still have hooked up to my TV, that there's really no need to buy this. That, and like many here I haven't played Origins, either. No go for me, but glad this is available to those with current-gen consoles that somehow missed out on these.

Karkador

Banned
Arkham Origins was surprisingly good, and fulfilled the promise of "open world" side content in a lot of ways that the other Arkham games never have.

Struct09

The games look great with PBR. Hopefully they perform well, I'd like to revisit both Asylum and City. I am also bummed they didn't include Origins, I thought it was pretty good.

If they included origins they would have to pay royalties to 2 companies
Hmm? WB flat out owns these games and do not have to pay royalties for remastering these. At least I don't think they would have to. WB are already paying WB Montreal and Rocksteady employees a salary, I don't see how this would cause them to owe them more.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Arkham Knight definitely needs it, though. But I doubt they'd put the work in to do it, especially for a PC version.

UE3 was never actually officially ported to PS4/XB1, so if you have to port everything anyway...

AK was going to be cross platform so they had to go with UE3. Midway through development they decided they would have to compromise too much to get it working on both but had put too much work into it on UE3 to switch to UE4, so instead they pushed forward with it on UE3 (heavily modified if I remember correctly). This is probably part of the reason it was so tough getting the PC version running well as a different team was handling the port and having to wrap their head around all the modifications made.

Was it confirmed that AK was intended to be cross-gen. Game never felt like it had that in its DNA to me.

Lima

I'm going to need a source on that.

Did rocksteady do AK pc or did they outsource? Because AK Ps4 ran like a champ

nvm, two comments above

JTripper

Origins is buried. It'll never be fixed and I heard it even had a decent Mr Freeze dlc.

Either that or if this sells well they'll plan an Origins remaster with that and Blackgate for current gen. They'd make bank on that considering all the salty souls like me who really really want that game to get some notice and to actually be fixed.

Never played any batman games so I'll wait until this is on sale on Live around Xmas and pick It up then.

I'd imagine they left out Origins for the inevitable remaster of Origins + Knight in a few years time.

So there's no PC version? Isn't this remaster going to look better visually? If this running on UE4...

TnQRX6v.gif

Sorry Rocksteady, it's not PC players fault that you botched Arham Knight so badly, that no one bought it.

RPGCrazied

Also, this would have been the perfect time to fix Origins bugs when porting it over to UE4.

I really hope they release a statement why they left it out.

pHand

Will double dip if the collection comes to PC. I 100%ed both and want an excuse to play through them again.

Still total crap Origins isn't in this

First post is correct. The still total crap game that is Origins is, in fact, not in this collection.

I could be tempted to play Arkham Asylum again but I never want to play City. Real disappointed by the lack of Origins as well, it's got it's problems but I enjoyed it more than City and Knight.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Wait, when did people suddenly start caring about Origins so much. Last I remember everyone was crapping all over it...
Yeah, the first page of this thread is like stepping into the Twilight Zone

I liked Origins, but last I checked GAF hated it. I can't keep up

Tsunamo

I would've bought if it had Origins, but i've already played through Asylum and i'm not that interested in replaying it anytime soon and I have City via PS+ but haven't played it yet, could have waited until this collection to play it but without Origins there's barely any incentitive for me to buy it.

Pretty neat that they bought them over to Unreal Engine 4 though.

So you think Rocksteady is to blame for a PC version they didn't make and an HD collection they didn't commission? Lol GAF.

According to Sefton Hill's twitter, after they took it down from Steam, they allocated developers from Rocksteady to try and fix it.

They still couldn't get it to work properly. So they gave up.

You don't expect me to believe that they didn't know about the issues. Of course they did. They chose to put it out anyway. Rocksteady is just as much to blame as WB or Iron Galaxy.

There is a vast, vast difference between making a game yourselves and being hired to fix up someone else's. Try working with someone else's code some time and you'll see exactly what I mean.

Saying they "gave up" when their work is literally mandated by a publisher who tells them when to start and stop is pretty ridiculous.

Top Bottom