• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman v. Superman RT Thread: like standing ovations in rain

Status
Not open for further replies.
You cant be surprised, you just cant, I feel genuinely sorry for Batman and Superman fans that these are the films they get.

Honestly. Everything these reviews are saying was heavily hinted at in the trailers and marketing. There was always a possibility it ended up better than that, but how can you be totally surprised at these reactions?

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Those review quotes are so ambiguous and contradictory

So, the superhero escapism genre is in dire need of a break, but audiences should reject this for being more of a philosophical drama?

Also, Marvel, the sole culprits of superhero exhaustion (if that's even a thing), can rest easy because they'll be the ones to finish driving the genre into the ground?

I'm going to see this anyway. Fuck the critics lol

A-atleast SS will be good guys right??

If they cant salvage this with the bo, than I think its a wrap for the dccu. Hopefully suicide squad does well, it would be a shame for us to lose our wonder woman movie and flash because of zack snyders failings.

If I'm not mistaken WW already finished filming.

santi_yo

YTuEbgz.jpg

Damn. So sad :(

inm8num2

It's very early, but after so many positive reactions (yes, yes I know screening reactions are usually positive) I would have expected it to get better marks out of the gate.

Still some 200 reviews to go!

hal9001

Banned
If there’s any justice, dawning or otherwise, at the multiplex, audiences will reject Zack Snyder’s lumbering, dead-on-arrival superhero mélange, a $250 million tombstone for a genre in dire need of a break. It’s supposed to be the glorious ramp-up to a new crime-fighting franchise, DC Comics’ Justice League, but you’ll wish this strenuously empty movie had boned up on a few lessons beforehand: There’s zero humor or self-deprecation, as there was in Joss Whedon’s pitch-perfect The Avengers; no performance of unlikely depth, like the one Heath Ledger pulled off in The Dark Knight; and no animating spirit of decency, a trait Christopher Reeve’s Superman had in spades.

Seems like critics dislike this film for not being the film they want it to be rather than what it is. Again. Why complain that it has no humour or is not Donner version you grew up with ffs.

I'll be honest, I really don't care to much regards the reviews going into this film as I quite enjoyed Man of Steel a lot so I sort of have an idea what I'm getting into, that the sort of depressing more grim dark MOS tone gets transferred over to Batman v Superman where it seems more fitting.

HowZatOZ

Banned
How? How does this even happen? I'm seeing it at the midnight release and I'm still super keen but just how does a movie like this review so badly? Even Age of Ultron did alright and that wasn't the greatest movie.

jaekeem

Seems like critics dislike this film for not being the film they want it to be rather than what it is. Again. Why complain that it has no humour or is not Donner version you grew up with ffs.

because if a film takes itself super seriously, but isn't actually good, then it just becomes an awful exercise in pretension

Nakazato

ZS is a hack 300 hundred wasn't even good. Hell the Dawn of the Dead remake is only service able. I saw sucker punch cause my wife wanted to it was a horrible fucking movie. ZS is done if the reviews keep coming like this

Ashodin

Funny thing is, Suicide Squad will end up being the best superhero movie of the year. So they will simultaneously put out the worst and the best.

It'll probably be enjoyable-ish at worst.

Still I don't understand. If it has the same problems as man of steel then why why why did they still have Snyder on the project? Surely DC's people aren't dumb enough to have the same thing happen twice right? I'd hope at least with the money being thrown around.

How could you mess up Batman vs. Superman? How?

Ugh, fuck it. At least i'll be going into the theater tomorrow night with lowered expectations. It can't possibly be worse than I am fearing.

Those review quotes are so ambiguous and contradictory

So, the superhero escapism genre is in dire need of a break, but audiences should reject this for being more of a philosophical drama?

Also, Marvel, the sole culprits of superhero exhaustion (if that's even a thing), can rest easy because they'll be the ones to finish driving the genre into the ground?

I'm going to see this anyway. Fuck the critics lol

Just because a movie is different doesn't make it good

Tabby

How? How does this even happen? I'm seeing it at the midnight release and I'm still super keen but just how does a movie like this review so badly? Even Age of Ultron did alright and that wasn't the greatest movie.

Because people were set on hating it before. I don't see why people would want to admit they were wrong.

RT scores fluctuate like crazy, especially this early.

Obviously at this point it isn't going to hit 90%+ but it likely won't stay this low either.

PR_rambo

Banned
I really want to be wrong about BvS, but if this is as mediocre as initially feared then get Snyder the hell out. What hope will the rest of the the DCEU have under his hand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom