• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 - Gameplay Debut [Update 2: First Direct Feed Screenshot In OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Foliorum Viridum said:
I had the same issue with Medal of Honour.
The single-player and multi-player components of Medal of Honor were designed by two different studios using different engines... I don't think they even shared the same control scheme (not sure, haven't played either). But in other words, an opinion of MoH's single-player isn't really applicable to the multplayer and vice versa.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
mclaren777 said:
I'm super thrilled for Johan Andersson's GDC presentation!

Frostbite is my favorite engine of this console cycle and I'm excited to see what's new in 2.0.
One notable thing is that the lighting you see there is entirely realtime, whereas it was partially pre-baked in BFBC2.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
best looking game ever
bf3trailerv9ck.jpg

bf3trailer3gbze.jpg
bf3trailer6tyjc.jpg

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Izayoi said:
There is no on-disc DLC. You download it day-one. It's an incentive to buy the game new, that's it.
Are we sure this is the case? I thought it was a future expansion that if you purchase the first limited print run, ie buy day 1 or near about, you will get access to the expansion free when it is released.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I think my heart just quivered a little. The real modern combat game has stood up. Thank you DICE.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
mclaren777 said:
I really hope Mirror's Edge 2 uses this engine instead of UE3 again. The lighting alone would blow my mind.
Apparently Frostbite 2.0 is being used for a lot of things.

DICE said:
The Frostbite team at the DICE studio is an independent unit with 30 dedicated developers. We provide state of the art technology to game teams from various genres such as shooting, racing and action. Our team is currently working on the next generation of Frostbite, which will make its debut with Battlefield 3. By collaboration - between disciplines, genres and studios - the Frostbite team is pushing boundaries for what game developers can achieve. With a strong focus on efficient workflows and fast iteration times our innovation–driving outcomes enable game developers to create cutting edge games.
Source: http://www.dice.se/ (You have to manually navigate to their jobs page)

So far we know it's being used for MoH2's multiplayer and either an action game and/or the next Need For Speed at Black Box.

poppabk said:
Are we sure this is the case? I thought it was a future expansion that if you purchase the first limited print run, ie buy day 1 or near about, you will get access to the expansion free when it is released.

That's how I interpreted it as well. If the expansion has substantial content, surely they wouldn't want to fracture the player base that badly so early. Map rotations some buyers couldn't access etc.

Jtrizzy

Foliorum Viridum said:
I have a 360, they just happened to send out the PS3 version as I had no preference.

But anyway, I didn't mean to derail this thread so much. Like I said, this trailer looks good, and the details I've read so far have got me interested now Infinity Ward are all but dead, so I promise that even if the SP is shit in BF3 I'll hop on a few servers and give MP a go! :p
Call of Duty has been shit since COD4, and even then it was just popular because it was a new concept to console gamers. BC2 is the far superior game, and playing the single player first is just ridiculous. I didn't touch the single player for 6 months after launch.

derFeef

I don´t know if I like the thought of a new MoH game using the new engine and almost look like BF3. I hope big ass battles with jets and tanks stay exclusive to Battlefield. Also - still secretly want a WW2 setting :/

Izayoi

Banned
daxter01 said:
best looking game ever
http://www.abload.de/img/bf3trailerv9ck.jpg[IMG]
[/QUOTE]
Dat water. Just noticed it.

[QUOTE=poppabk]Are we sure this is the case? I thought it was a future expansion that if you purchase the first limited print run, ie buy day 1 or near about, you will get access to the expansion free when it is released.[/QUOTE]
No. It's a map pack that you get for free if you buy the game new.

It's exactly the same as the VIP codes used in BC2.

[QUOTE=DeadRockstar]That's how I interpreted it as well. If the expansion has substantial content, surely they wouldn't want to fracture the player base that badly so early. Map rotations some buyers couldn't access etc.[/QUOTE]
See above. They're not fracturing the base because everyone is getting the game new on day one.

J-Rzez

mclaren777 said:
I'm the same way. If BF3 doesn't have a good SP campaign, I won't even bother renting it.

It's just what you want from a game. When it comes to the majority of shooters I play, I only care about the MP. I gamefly'd Blops, went right into MP, and never-ever touched the SP because MP is vastly more important to me, going by the trailers and past CoDs it'd be ridiculous, and people confirmed that in some posts.

I buy these games for their MP, and this series was really MP-only, thus I hoped for 100% focus on it. The resources could've went towards more weapons, maps, or modes thus it slightly disappoints me.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
derFeef said:
I don´t know if I like the thought of a new MoH game using the new engine and almost look like BF3. I hope big ass battles with jets and tanks stay exclusive to Battlefield. Also - still secretly want a WW2 setting :/
Actually, MoH's multiplayer used Frostbite 1.X, so this would be a logical progression.

They have stated that their goal is to make them play different, though I feel MoH's multiplayer still needs a ton of work.

However, that's probably a discussion best left for another thread lol.

wwm0nkey

DeadRockstar said:
That's how I interpreted it as well. If the expansion has substantial content, surely they wouldn't want to fracture the player base that badly so early. Map rotations some buyers couldn't access etc.
The expansion is more like Vietnam so it will probably get its own sub menu too just like Vietnam, also the DLC will come out a month after the game so I assume the Limited Edition will be any copy that is out in the first month.

Oh also nice BECK avatar!

Izayoi said:
See above. They're not fracturing the base because everyone is getting the game new on day one.

Yeah it's the pre-order wording in the video that threw me. I thought it would work similar to Bioware's pre-order thing with DA2 that actually ended before the game released. Like you say though, the Battlefield thing is the entire first print run rather than a pre-order incentive.

wwm0nkey said:
Oh also nice BECK avatar!

Ha! Thanks man. Surprised anyone recognised that. Only ever known one other guy that watched it besides myself.

Xater

mclaren777 said:
How great would another RalliSport Challenge be?

It would be fucking awesome. I loved RSC 1 and 2. Amazing titles and nothing can beat ice rally multiplayer in these games.

mclaren777

J-Rzez said:
It's just what you want from a game. When it comes to the majority of shooters I play, I only care about the MP. I gamefly'd Blops, went right into MP, and never-ever touched the SP because MP is vastly more important to me, going by the trailers and past CoDs it'd be ridiculous, and people confirmed that in some posts.
I haven't even played the last three COD games (apart from the demos) and I only played COD3/COD4 because people bought them for me as Christmas presents (I didn't ask for them). My favorite FPS games of this generation have been Mirror's Edge, Resistance: Fall of Man, Borderlands, and the original Bad Company.

So I guess it's just a case of different strokes for different folks. I appreciate what DICE does, but MP doesn't rank very highly on my list of must-haves.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Izayoi said:
No. It's a map pack that you get for free if you buy the game new.

It's exactly the same as the VIP codes used in BC2.
I'm not convinced. It says
"Preorder the Limited Edition to get "Back to Karkand" Expansion pack at no extra charge."

That implies that the expansion pack will not be free to all purchasers of the game, only those who get the limited edition version, same as early access to BF3 beta was only for those who bought the limited edition of Medal of Honor. I think it is to reward day one purchases and is separate from VIP/online pass which rewards people who buy new with access to maps/online.

Izayoi

Banned
poppabk said:
I'm not convinced. It says
"Preorder the Limited Edition to get "Back to Karkand" Expansion pack at no extra charge."

That implies that the expansion pack will not be free to all purchasers of the game, only those who get the limited edition version, same as early access to BF3 beta was only for those who bought the limited edition of Medal of Honor. I think it is to reward day one purchases and is separate from VIP/online pass which rewards people who buy new with access to maps/online.
Like I said, it's exactly like the BC2 VIP stuff.

You buy the game new, you get the DLC for free.

If you buy a used copy you will have to pay.

Game looks good obviously.

As a marketer though, I'm super impressed with whatever internal group or agency has been behind EA's shooter department.

Say what you will about the game, Medal of Honor had one of the most focused, and well realized 'visions' of any game in recent memory. That dusty key art sold the tone and core ideas of the game immediately.

Likewise with the pulsing sound-wave and distorted video here. It feels modern, chaotic, and intense.

Me likey.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Spl1nter said:
the juniors in this thread are so bad...

Did anyone actually only play SP and no MP for BF1942 through BF2142?
Almost everyone was a junior when joined GAF.
Lets try to be more kind to them. Theyre the new blood.
... Maybe among them is Fersis 2.0 who will hype KOF and SNKP once im gone. ;_;

wwm0nkey

DeadRockstar said:
Yeah it's the pre-order wording in the video that threw me. I thought it would work similar to Bioware's pre-order thing with DA2 that actually ended before the game released. Like you say though, the Battlefield thing is the entire first print run rather than a pre-order incentive.

Ha! Thanks man. Surprised anyone recognised that. Only ever known one other guy that watched it besides myself.
Yeah they really should have worded it better.

I love BECK. Actually got to meet the American voice actor for Koyuki. I want another season of that show :(

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Looks amazing!

GG really was ahead of the pack with deferred rendering with Killzone 2. This obviously looks a lot better than Killzone2/3 from what I can tell but deferred rendering has really made such an improvement to lighting in the engines that now use it. Including Frostbite 2 (and Cryengine 3).

derFeef

Menelaus said:
ME talk is all over demize's twitter today. I think something very special is happening here =)
Yup. Great he mentioned and appreciated it. Seems like it got a special place in their heart as well.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Nirolak said:
One notable thing is that the lighting you see there is entirely realtime, whereas it was partially pre-baked in BFBC2.

It's not entirely real-time. A large portion of it is, but some of it is baked. According to the dev in the Game Informer article.

WOW, that 30 second teaser just left a chill down my spine.
Sony needs to lock this game for some exclusive shit so that they can combat Microsofts COD exclusive deal.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Thunderbear said:
It's not entirely real-time. A large portion of it is, but some of it is baked. According to the dev in the Game Informer article.
Huh, it must have changed since their original goals.

Thanks for the info.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Wow, the motion blur looks really, really natural in the screen caps on this page. I hope other devs start going for the more natural look with strong animation. Seems way more impressive than just having better graphics.

Thunderbear said:
Looks amazing!

GG really was ahead of the pack with deferred rendering with Killzone 2. This obviously looks a lot better than Killzone2/3 from what I can tell but deferred rendering has really made such an improvement to lighting in the engines that now use it. Including Frostbite 2 (and Cryengine 3).

S.t.a.l.k.e.r.?

Roche

Jtrizzy said:
I can't be the only one here who finds FPS single player campaigns a complete waste of time, especially military shooters KZ3 is worth it for the graphics, og Halo, Half life series of course, but for the most part I skip them. I might pick it up if my internet was down or something.

I know you've since edited your post but I do agree with you on this for the most part, first person shooter campaigns never have enough subsentence to keep me going and justify spending full price on but they do excel in multiplayer aspects.

An example would be any Call of Duty game and the later part of the Halo series, both of these can usually be finished in two or three days if going slowly, and they're the two most popular games in the genre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom