• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 - Gameplay Debut [Update 2: First Direct Feed Screenshot In OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nekrono

Feindflug said:
Really curious to see what Dice can do with this beauty on the PS3 & 360, if they manage to get this engine running a steady frame-rate, at 720p with a decent AA solution on the consoles then I guess we will see the best looking console game in a few months.

They'll have to pull some magic if what they say is true about this being dx11 and dx10 only. Even if they make it look good on consoles the PC version will be FAR superior with all the effort they're putting into it.

Since 2008, DICE has released:

Battlefield: Bad Company (2008)
Battlefield Heroes (2009)
Battlefield 1943 (2009)
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (2010)
Battlefield: Bad Company 2: Vietnam (2010)
Battlefield 3 (2011)

And people have the nerve to complain about COD being overexposed.

Feindflug

Nekrono said:
They'll have to pull some magic if what they say is true about this being dx11 and dx10 only. Even if they make it look good on consoles the PC version will be FAR superior with all the effort they're putting into it.

Who said anything about the PC version? the PC version is a safe bet, it's gonna be amazing and by far the superior version, we all know it - I'm just curious to see how they will handle things on the consoles and how will BF3 compare (mainly because it's a game based on a multiplatform engine) to the best looking consoles games out there in terms of eye candy and of course tech.

Dat lighting and animation!

This doesn't look like a battlefield game to me though. If you told me it was mw3 or moh2 i would believe you. To me bf games had a slightly more comic/game look to it. This has a more gritty realistic look imo. I'm not saying that this is a bad thing either. I'm hyped!

Jin34

subversus said:
the engine is DX11 focused.

PC, man. We don't need next-gen, we can have it now.

What, you don't think I have a gaming PC ;)
My 4850 is going to get murdered

belvedere

Junior Butler
Jack Scofield said:

Battlefield 1943 (2009)
Battlefield 3 (2011)

Butt hurt COD fan?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Jack Scofield said:

And yet, unlike CoD, they take an engine and IMPROVE it instead of sitting on a 10 year old FPS arena engine and rehashing gameplay. :eek:!

Call me when CoD improves their destruction to have buildings collapse all over the map on the Q3A engine. OH WAIT, that's not possible on the Q3A engine. MY BAD!

Butt hurt COD fan?

Pretty much.

Izayoi

Banned
Jack Scofield said:

Battlefield 1943 (2009)
Battlefield 3 (2011)

You almost got me.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Jack Scofield said:

2142 ( 2006 )
Battlefield 1943 (2009)
Battlefield 3 (2011)

Only 2 full retail games the past 5 years or so. But it's ok, this series is infinitely better than CoD anyways :)

Blackface

Banned
Jack Scofield said:

Battlefield 1943 (2009)
Battlefield 3 (2011)

I know this is a troll post butttttttttttttt

COD releases a new game to take the other's place every single year. The games are virtually identical. The slight difference slowly add up, but it's a constant barrage of the same shit.

Battlefield is a brand, not just a single game. 1943, Heroes, Badcompany, and Battlefield 2/3/4 are all seperate games, that play differently.

Battlefield 3 is the sequel to Battlefield 2, which was released almost 6 years ago.

1943 is an Arcade game

Heroes is a F2P cartoon style browser based game for kids

Bad Company is their Arcade style, fast paced style of game.

They could all easily be named different things, as they are very different from eachother, with similarities being the typical shooter standard (ranks, unlocks etc..)

If you don't know, now you know

1bigb.jpg

holy mother of god

This is the best looking game I've ever seen. The real-time lighting and animation are otherworldly

Anyone who played BC2 on PC have an idea of how well a 5770 1gb + quad core + 4gb ram can run this? Think I could do high setting on 1650x1000 res?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
The attention to detail on weapons and uniforms is spot on, as are the environments from what I can tell (the middle eastern looking ones).

Sadly I think PC sales may be held back due to how these screens/videos look since it seems to be another "crysis" type game at launch. (gonna need a powerful rig)

I know many will upgrade/build a new PC for this game, but that's not what the majority of people will likely do, and this game at least at first glance appears to be demanding. I'm worried my PC wouldn't even run it at medium settings and my PC is still pretty good for today's standard.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
GeneralIroh said:
Dat lighting and animation!

This doesn't look like a battlefield game to me though. If you told me it was mw3 or moh2 i would believe you. To me bf games had a slightly more comic/game look to it. This has a more gritty realistic look imo. I'm not saying that this is a bad thing either. I'm hyped!
Yeah, you can see a really heavy influence from Medal of Honor's multiplayer art design. The lighting isn't THAT pretty, and the engine isn't as destruction heavy, but I look at MoH and I can't help but feel that the game was a testbed for getting certain things together like sound design, explosions (they seem pretty damned close down to the dark, warm tint of the screen), and weapon & character models for console. I'm going to keep my more-than-capable-of-at-least-medium 5670 around, but I might end up getting a new mobo, CPU, case and PSU for when this comes out since I'm sort of limited by my AM2+ CPU socket on my current mobo. I'll start setting money aside now...

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Heavy said:
holy mother of god

Anyone who played BC2 on PC have an idea of how well a 5770 1gb + quad core + 4gb ram can run this? Think I could do high setting on 1650x1000 res?

yes, you could.

30+ fps.

Menelaus

Banned
Heavy said:
I have a similar nvidia setup, and I can max BC2 out with AA at 1650x1080 no sweat.

BF3, however, is going to be a different story. DX11 + tessellation = CRUNCHTIME, sweetheart.

demolitio

Heavy said:
holy mother of god

This is the best looking game I've ever seen. The real-time lighting and animation are otherworldly

Yup, you should be able to. I have the same hardware and pull at least 30 with jumps to 60 depending on the map and how much destruction is going on.

Airan

Interesting - is that per-object motion blur I'm seeing when the player exits the transport? Specifically

e8c282d0.gif

Notice the scope. I didn't notice it in motion and it could simply be video encoding/gif capture oddities *shrug* At the same time I wouldn't be surprised if they were using some offset frame interleave trick (I believe Halo Reach and the Star Wars Unleashed games used this??), but the offset being really wide in this scene.

Basically I'm really eager to read up on what Digital Foundry will say about the engine, always fascinated by what visual tricks devs stick into their games :D

With Call of Duty going down in quality these days, and Infinity Ward barely being the same studio leaving me feeling less than optimistic about MW3, it might time for me to jump ship...

Relaxed Muscle said:
Wow, console version looks aweeeeesome, can't wait to see how godly is the PC version.

Finally a Killzone 3 contender.

[/sarcasm]
it could be very close to a console version looking at the screens.

Foliorum Viridum said:
With Call of Duty going down in quality these days, and Infinity Ward barely being the same studio leaving me feeling less than optimistic about MW3, it might time for me to jump ship...

BC2 is the best multiplayer FPS shooter right now, in consoles, probably is way better than COD in PC also, so might as well jump now....BC2 is awesome.

Relaxed Muscle said:
BC2 is the best multiplayer FPS shooter right now, in consoles, probably is way better than COD in PC also, so might as well jump now....BC2 is awesome.
I hated BC2. Felt so.. bland compared to MW and MW2, so I'm hoping this steps it up a notch.

I only played the SP, for the record, but that bored me so much I felt no desire to go online, which is enough for me.

Menelaus

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
I hated BC2. Felt so.. bland compared to MW and MW2, so I'm hoping this steps it up a notch.

I only played the SP, for the record, but that bored me so much I felt no desire to go online, which is enough for me.
The point of Battlefield games. You missed it.

Foliorum Viridum said:

BC2 SP campaign is the very definition of bland.Multiplayer is where the game shines.

Izayoi

Banned
I wouldn't be too concerned about the location.

They said you'll be visiting many different places around the world.

Foliorum Viridum said:

Not enough nukes?

Foliorum Viridum said:
I always do SP before MP, ever since the first COD. If a game doesn't impress me in SP I don't move on to MP, that's just the way I play.

wha wha wha wha

WAAAT?

Big, huge, ginormous mistake.

Izayoi

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
I always do SP before MP, ever since the first COD. If a game doesn't impress me in SP I don't move on to MP, that's just the way I play.
That is quite possibly the worst way to go about things ever. And I actually mean it.

Seriously, dude. Do you have ANY idea how many fantastic games you're missing out on?

Maybe but the gameplay in SP is usually representative of MP. In BC2 it didn't grab me, so eh.

That BF3 footage looks cool, though, so I hope to be impressed more this time.

Izayoi said:
That is quite possibly the worst way to go about things ever. And I actually mean it.

Seriously, dude. Do you have ANY idea how many fantastic games you're missing out on?

I play quite a lot of online games... so presumably not many!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom