• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 - Gameplay Debut [Update 2: First Direct Feed Screenshot In OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Foliorum Viridum said:
I hated BC2. Felt so.. bland compared to MW and MW2, so I'm hoping this steps it up a notch.

I only played the SP, for the record, but that bored me so much I felt no desire to go online, which is enough for me.

Damn that really sucks for you man. The single player was campy but good. It was all about taking constant jabs at the COD franchise. It was ok for one playthrough, but the direction of the game really did make it a sort of bland experience. There have definitely been much worse single player games released this gen though. It wasnt exactly bad, it just wasnt anything special.

However the multi-player was the best multi-player game since Battlefield 2 and Counter-Strike Source came out. You really missed out. Didnt you even read around to find out about the multi?

Foliorum Viridum said:
I always do SP before MP, ever since the first COD. If a game doesn't impress me in SP I don't move on to MP, that's just the way I play.

So you havent played a COD multi-player game since the first Modern Warfare?

ZING!

RJT

Foliorum Viridum said:
I always do SP before MP, ever since the first COD. If a game doesn't impress me in SP I don't move on to MP, that's just the way I play.
Battlefield is a multiplayer game since ever. The first game didn't even had a proper single player mode (just bots added to MP maps).

Nabs

Foliorum Viridum said:
I hated BC2. Felt so.. bland compared to MW and MW2, so I'm hoping this steps it up a notch.

I only played the SP, for the record, but that bored me so much I felt no desire to go online, which is enough for me.

What.

I know BF is a multiplayer focused game, but the only other game in the series I'd played was 1943 (which I really liked) so I didn't know what the "realistic" installments of the series played like.

I figured it was best to play SP first to get the feel for it, since if I hopped online I'd no doubt get destroyed, despite being semi-Godly at CoD, but the gameplay in those however many hours the campaign lasted didn't feel good to me so I wasn't compelled to take it online. I'm not so much talking about how good the SP campaign was designed or anything, but how much I enjoyed the gameplay over those hours. It wasn't satisfying to shoot people in the game, first and foremost, so I don't think that would change by going online.

I had the same issue with Medal of Honour.

Always-honest said:
it could be very close to a console version looking at the screens.

No way: the textures quality,models, lightning....everything was so far away of any console game did until now, it's just not possible unless DICE found an extra CPU and GPU on the xbox 360 and PS3.

Not that matters anyway, since I will end probably playing it on console, so if it looks half good of that I will be pleased.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Foliorum Viridum said:

I heard there is Counter Strike SP game and it's shit!

see what I did!

Foliorum Viridum said:
I know BF is a multiplayer focused game, but the only other game in the series I'd played was 1943 (which I really liked) so I didn't know what the "realistic" installments of the series played like.

I figured it was best to play SP first to get the feel for it, since if I hopped online I'd no doubt get destroyed, despite being semi-Godly at CoD, but the gameplay in those however many hours the campaign lasted didn't feel good to me so I wasn't compelled to take it online. I'm not so much talking about how good the SP campaign was designed or anything, but how much I enjoyed the gameplay over those hours. It wasn't satisfying to shoot people in the game, first and foremost, so I don't think that would change by going online.

You honestly need to jump into bc2's multi sometime, you will be pleasantly surprised by the sheer size and destruction when compared to mw's small run and gun game style. Trust me, I also got bored by the single player, so I have been rocking multi pretty much from the get go. Just takes some practice like any other game :)

Foliorum Viridum said:

Wasn't satisfying to shoot people compared to what? Call of Duty with their lack of recoil, and pea shooter sound effects? BC2, and Killzone 2/3 have some of the most satisfying gunplay in recent memory, and it sounds like you just have an issue with the "heavier" feeling of BF compared to the super quick feeling of CoD. Not even taking the time to get used to it, and test out multi was a big mistake.

I really do hope this is 'actual gameplay footage'. Something about the lighting and what not reminds me of that old killzone ps3 promo footage.

Hopefully my rig can handle this. Upgraded to a quadcore just for bc2 a year ago =)

subversus

Foliorum Viridum said:
Not even CZ can steal my love for CS!

that's why you should try BFBC2 online. But people are hardcore there now. Still if you haven't tried you should.

Net_Wrecker said:
Wasn't satisfying to shoot people compared to what? Call of Duty with their lack of recoil, and pea shooter sound effects? BC2, and Killzone 2/3 have some of the most satisfying gunplay in recent memory. Sounds like you just have an issue with the "heavier" feeling of BF compared to the super quick feeling of CoD. Not even taking the time to get used to it, and test out multi was a big mistake.
I don't think it was the "heavy" feeling, because I like that in games like Killzone (if you take out the horrendous input lag). It just wasn't... I don't know. I can't describe the feeling.

Maybe I would've liked MP if I gave it a chance, but I doubt it. If there weren't so many good FPS coming out between now and BF3 I might be tempted to give it another go, but at this point I'll just wait. :)

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Foliorum Viridum said:

Hahahaha @ someone hating a BF game having only played the single player.

Foliorum Viridum said:

The basic feel of 1943 is in BC2, c'mon there's even some of the 1943 weapons on BC2!!

If you liked 1943, you'll loved BC2, because even with the setting change, the base of the gameplay is the same, yeah, 1943 maps were more "open" and all other differencies, but the core gameplay is basically the same.

So yeah, you should try BC2 multiplayer.

PD: Medal of Honor multi was shit, so that game was already rotten from the inside...

chickdigger802 said:
I really do hope this is 'actual gameplay footage'. Something about the lighting and what not reminds me of that old killzone ps3 promo footage.

Hopefully my rig can handle this. Upgraded to a quadcore just for bc2 a year ago =)
Haha, same man, I said, eh bc2 runs fine on my dual core, and before I knew it, I had snagged a quad, lol. I am ready to rock whatever bf3 has to throw at my machine haha

PatzCU

Foliorum Viridum said:

This is like saying, "I didn't like driving the Ferrari around the dealership parking lot, so I didn't feel compelled to take it onto the streets". You are really missing out here.

Mr Jared

I'm really not a fan of military shooters (they give me the creeps) but I'm super hyped for Battlefield 3. It looks gorgeous, super intense and I really love the marketing for it so far. Everything about it seems so heavy. Can't wait to see more.

Foliorum Viridum said:
I don't think it was the "heavy" feeling, because I like that in games like Killzone (if you take out the horrendous input lag). It just wasn't... I don't know. I can't describe the feeling.

Maybe I would've liked MP if I gave it a chance, but I doubt it. If there weren't so many good FPS coming out between now and BF3 I might be tempted to give it another go, but at this point I'll just wait. :)
Honestly, just rent it again, and find a few friends who have it, and give it a whirl. With a full squad and communication, it is soo damn much fun. Its the first game in a long time where things happen, and you are just like "HOLY SHIT WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT? DID A BLACKHAWK JUST RUN ME OVER!? lol What system you rent it for anyhow?

subversus

Mr Nightman said:
Honestly, just rent it again, and find a few friends who have it, and give it a whirl. With a full squad and communication, it is soo damn much fun. What system you rent it for anyhow?

he'll bump into "premium" content wall probably.

J-Rzez

I'm all about this, and it looks fantastic visually as expected (the reason to own a gaming PC), but let me know when there's a trailer that actually shows me chunks of MP footage. I'm disappointed enough that they spent time/resources on a SP.

DLC on a disc sucks, but even EA can't totally redeem themselves, though they've come a long way since their old ways.

Foliorum Viridum said:
PS3.

Because the gunplay in the SP didn't feel good to me. That fundamental part of the game is surely the same in MP.
Oh damn, was going to show you the ropes on the 360 if you had one

I felt the same way with bc1, was into cod and felt it played really slow for my liking. Its just something you have to get used to, BC2 feels natural to me now, cod is like cracked out speed to me now lol

Izayoi

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
PS3.

Because the gunplay in the SP didn't feel good to me. That fundamental part of the game is surely the same in MP.
I don't even know what to think anymore.

I thought you didn't like the SP because it was "bland".

The gunplay is fantastic, even if you hated the stories or the locations you can't deny that.

Slow and deliberate >>>>>>> Fast and mindless

J-Rzez said:
DLC on a disc sucks, but even EA can't totally redeem themselves, though they've come a long way since their old ways.
There is no on-disc DLC. You download it day-one. It's an incentive to buy the game new, that's it.

I have a 360, they just happened to send out the PS3 version as I had no preference.

But anyway, I didn't mean to derail this thread so much. Like I said, this trailer looks good, and the details I've read so far have got me interested now Infinity Ward are all but dead, so I promise that even if the SP is shit in BF3 I'll hop on a few servers and give MP a go! :p

Foliorum Viridum said:
I have a 360, they just happened to send out the PS3 version as I had no preference.

But anyway, I didn't mean to derail this thread so much. Like I said, this trailer looks good, and the details I've read so far have got me interested now Infinity Ward are all but dead, so I promise that even if the SP is shit in BF3 I'll hop on a few servers and give MP a go! :p
well shit man go rent a 360 copy, and I shall show you the fundamentals of bc2, and the kickass and funny shit to do along the way. I can prep you for battlefield 3 lol. But yes to get back on track, if this game looks as good on pc as moh (which I know it will) I will be happy as ever

mclaren777

Foliorum Viridum said:
I'm the same way. If BF3 doesn't have a good SP campaign, I won't even bother renting it.

Barakov

From what was shown it looked really impressive. Good to hear PC is the lead SKU.

The single player delivering a good experience is far less important than DICE giving us multiplayer that shines.

mclaren777 said:
I'm the same way. If BF3 doesn't have a good SP campaign, I won't even bother renting it.

I couldn't watch the video, so my "trolling" or whatever may be unfounded, but I can't imagine BF3 having any campaign. BF1, 2, and 2142 were pretty much multiplayer-only games. There was a single player component, but it was really just CTF with bots.

Menelaus

Banned
NinjaMouse said:
I couldn't watch the video, so my "trolling" or whatever may be unfounded, but I can't imagine BF3 having any campaign. BF1, 2, and 2142 were pretty much multiplayer-only games. There was a single player component, but it was really just CTF with bots.
Oh, junior. Silly, ignorant junior...

mclaren777

I'm super thrilled for Johan Andersson's GDC presentation!

Frostbite is my favorite engine of this console cycle and I'm excited to see what's new in 2.0.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
This looks fucking ridiculous. RIDICULOUS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom