• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 - Gameplay Debut [Update 2: First Direct Feed Screenshot In OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Kiriku said:
Love the sound!
But it sounds like he screams "Kristoffer!" in Swedish (ie with a Swedish accent) just before the end. Maybe I'm just imagining things. :p
I hear it too, it really sounds like "Kristoffer!"

Izayoi

Banned
wwm0nkey said:
exactly.

You are officially the coolest Junior Member now lol
Aw shucks.

Sn4ke_911 said:
Man you can clearly see how hard it must be to push this door open. Unbelievable.
Of all the things that stuck out at me in the trailer, it was the animation that was easily the most noticeable. Finally we have bodies going limp realistically instead of flopping around like a fish out of water. ANT is turning out incredibly well. I was skeptical when I first read about them re-purposing something originally used for sports games but I can see now that fear was completely baseless.

b.e.r.g

Izayoi said:
It's not an expansion pack. It comes with all new copies of the game.

Basically, it's EA's way of saying "buy the game new".
$60 at release, $15 map pack after 2 months. History repeating.

I don't know, I might be old and grumpy, but rather that than "OMFG TAKE MY MONEY" after 4 seconds of flashing graphics...

Stantron

Ramirez said:
Looks amazing, I wonder how bad the console versions will look compared to this, no way I'm buying a new PC anytime soon. :(
I'm not a PC gamer, but if the difference is big enough, I might have to become one. I plan on building a new rig this year anyway so that would work out well.

Izayoi

Banned
b.e.r.g said:
$60 at release, $15 map pack after 2 months. History repeating.

I don't know, I might be old and grumpy, but rather that than "OMFG TAKE MY MONEY" after 4 seconds of flashing graphics...
If BC2 is ANY indication, all map packs will be FREE. An actual expansion pack (containing tons of maps, weapons, and new factions - you know, like a real expansion pack) will be released for $15 sometime later. That's how it worked on the PC. I can't speak for console versions but I would imagine they would be similar, right?

Rickard

44a5a373.gif

Dat Prone...

Kibbles

Rickard said:
[IMG.]http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff144/derFeef/gifs/BF3/44a5a373.gif[/IMG]

Dat Prone...
I like how as he moves the M4 you can see through the holes on the rail. Just looks so real.

low-G

Stallion Free said:
BC2 liked CPU. I'd put money on Frostbite 2 still enjoying a quality quadcore or better.

Yea, I definitely noticed that.

I hope a.) Frostbite 1 just preferred CPU processor cycles / cores more because it was more of a console engine.

or b.) I can still manage 30fps with fairly maxed details with a high end GPU.

Izayoi

Banned
metareferential said:
Best graphics evah?

Soooooooooo good.
Arguably, yes.

Actually, it probably IS the most visually impressive game from a technical standpoint, especially the lighting engine.

wwm0nkey

Its going to be so good to see DICE take the title of Best Graphics :)

Wonder how many awards this game will get (we all know it will get awards)

eznark

Banned
PaddyOCanager said:
Wow there is no way my PC will be able to handle that! Still, looks awesome and I can't wait to see more.

Been waiting for this to come out to do a full rebuild. So excited!

b.e.r.g

Izayoi said:
If BC2 is ANY indication, all map packs will be FREE. An actual expansion pack (containing tons of maps, weapons, and new factions - you know, like a real expansion pack) will be released for $15 sometime later. That's how it worked on the PC. I can't speak for console versions but I would imagine they would be similar, right?
Hmm... well that is acceptable. I'll keep a small dose of hope then, but not holding my breath!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'll be interested to see comparisons of Frostbite 2.0, CryEngine 3, and idTech 5 as multiplatform engines. Good to see new engines that are utilizing PC and consoles well. Everyone wins then.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I don't know if this is because I'm a dry old cynical geezer, but I refuse to believe this is not altered even slightly.

There's been postprocessingdealies added to the gameplay sections of the teaser. I can tell by working with pixels etc.

JoeBoy101

January 2nd, 2011.

*speaking to self*

So Joeboy, I wonder, should I upgrade my PC. Its not THAT old and not sure how awesome SB chips will be. Hell, why not? You know you always wanted to build your own.

February 23rd, 2011.

you-chose-wisely.jpg

DSN2K

Im quite happy with my 3.1ghz X3 445 till 2012. Ive not even tried to unlock it or overclock yet so I have room for improvements, but I'll update my graphics card when this comes out for sure.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Corky said:
I don't know if this is because I'm a dry old cynical geezer, but I refuse to believe this is not altered even slightly.

There's been postprocessingdealies added to the gameplay sections of the teaser. I can tell by working with pixels etc.
I don't think it's bullshot. The lighting, color composition, and motion blur are just so well done that it looks like a film, and youtube's compression hides a lot of the imperfections. A "1080p" YouTube video isn't even as detailed as a 480p DVD.

Izayoi

Banned
Corky said:

I don't think DICE has ever been one to bullshit around with stuff that's not representative of the final product.

Have they ever released a pre-rendered trailer before?

Nekrono

Just saw some supposed in game screenshots which I assume are also from the same level shown in the trailer and I have to say they look good but I didn't get that WOW factor from the video, I hope DICE releases some more longer footage soon.

But yeah that video does look pretty awesome!

reKon

Banned
Looks great, day 1!!!!!

KZ3 and BC2 will be my two shooters until this one. Then I think that no other shooters will matter to me for the rest of the gen.

Fall '11 is going to be loaded from Mass Effect 3, Uncharted 3, Battlefield 3. And then I might fuck around around and start buying a ton of shit that I don't have time to play like Skyrim and other games, ARRRRGGHHH

There needs to be a buy two get one free sale every month for this year from the major video game retailers.

Also, was this PC footage because this looked really impressive..

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Diablohead said:
That dragging could just be some single player canned animation stuff.

No. It's been confirmed Frostbite 2 is gonna have better destruction, animations (using EA sports locomotion shit) and dragging friendlies into cover when they're shot and using cover as tripod/gun steadying.

That is, if GameInformer and DICE's hype-train is right.

Wonder how many awards this game will get (we all know it will get awards)

It better get the famous "NeoGAF Game of the Year, ALL YEARS" award, like Bad Company 2 should of gotten over intergalactic talkie-talkie sex-simulator 2last year. >:| :mad:

Izayoi

Banned
Nekrono said:
Just saw some supposed in game screenshots which I assume are also from the same level shown in the trailer and I have to say they look good but I didn't get that WOW factor from the video, I hope DICE releases some more longer footage soon.

But yeah that video does look pretty awesome!
What you probably saw were shots cropped from scans or photos, and maybe some low-res ones cut out of a PDF.

Those do not beat direct-feed HD footage as far as accurate representation of the game goes.

low-G

Izayoi said:
I don't think DICE has ever been one to bullshit around with stuff that's not representative of the final product.

Have they ever released a pre-rendered trailer before?

Their BFBC1 pre-release screenshots were usually a little bullshotty.

reKon said:
Also, was this PC footage because this looked really impressive..
of course it is, for videos like this they are going to use the most power they can, those clips were more then likely super sampled from a high res and image dumped as bmp's then worked on in a video editor.

Jin34

If you had told me those gifs came from a launch game for next gen systems (Wii 2, Xbox 3, PS4) I would have believed you.

Nekrono

Izayoi said:
What you probably saw was shots cropped from scans or photos, or maybe some low-res ones cropped from a PDF.

Those do not beat direct-feed HD footage as far as accurate representation of a final game goes.

True, and actually they had some pretty awful compression but they are new and actually they don't look "scanned" if you know what I mean, I just read it on the post and contained myself from posting them.

TheSeks

Izayoi said:

He's bitching about Project $10, which was the "VIP" code in BC2. Here, it's gonna be "You bought used? Pay $10-15 for Karkand."

heyf00L

Jin34 said:
If you had told me those gifs came from a launch game for next gen systems (Wii 2, Xbox 3, PS4) I would have believed you.
This is the time that the next gen systems should be launching, so it makes sense that current PCs can pull this kind of thing off.

The highly-detailed models and textures are nice, but what's really making it look spectacular is the real-time ambient occlusion and radiosity. Too bad I'll be running this on lowest settings for the time being.

Feindflug

OK I just saw the trailer and all I have to say is OMFG!....simply amazing visuals - maybe the most impressive and realistic game I've ever seen, the lighting is out of this world.

Really curious to see what Dice can do with this beauty on the PS3 & 360, if they manage to get this engine running a steady frame-rate, at 720p with a decent AA solution on the consoles then I guess we will see the best looking console game in a few months.

TheSeks

Feindflug said:
Really curious to see what Dice can do with this beauty on the PS3 & 360, if they manage to get this engine running a steady frame-rate, at 720p with a decent AA solution on the consoles then I guess we will see the best looking console game in a few months.

That's what I'm really looking toward. I want to see how well Frostbite 2 handles on PS3/360. That was pretty much their development goal (parity among all the platforms) with those leaked Frostbite 2 development con slides, IIRC.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Max said:
I hope my 4890 is up to this. Graphics look insane.

the engine is DX11 focused.

Jin34 said:
PC, man. We don't need next-gen, we can have it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom