• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 isn't broken anymore

I hope. Is good that Planetside devs are taking their time, but didn't they say that release day for Planetside 2 ps4 version was early 2014?

It's been placeholder dates since announcement. It's clear the only reason it was announced so early was to fluff up Sony's lineup. It should have been announced this year. They're still adamant on a 2014 release date though, and a Beta is confirmed too, so I'm expecting the Beta within the next month or two. Best case scenario is Beta in July, Release in September.

Detox

Why does it take 5mins+ to load a map on PC? My hard drive is good for every other popular multiplayer game loading games in under 30 seconds.

Soulrak

Finally gave the game a shot (XB1 rental) after all the negativity surrounding the game. I kept hearing & reading how BF4 is much better. Well, I'm sending it back after a few days because I can't get through the campaign without the game dropping out & ruining progression. Last night was the final straw as it had the audacity to drop out deep into a few missions & brought me back like 2-3 missions before it. Done with it. Most absurd video game release ever. The game is simply unplayable.

McLovin

So I decided to give it another shot(PS4). Rubber banding is still there and my conquest match ended with a game crash. When I was playing before I could have sworn they fixed that. This game is absolute bullshit.

Twinduct

Just wanted to add in on the 'isn't broken anymore'. Most likely a repeat of some issues but just some experience I had in the last week

Had a bitch of a time getting the game to run on a fresh OS install. Battlelog would keep telling me there is an update or that I need to download the expansions to access the servers.

The fixes included having to do 4 repairs (each time downloading around 28mb of fixes) and having to edit in registry keys.

After that I could play. Game seems to be stable enough as I only bomb out the game every fourth or third map instead of the first.

Also found it weird as I remember BF4 loading maps quite quickly. The initial join would be slow but when staying on the server (and not getting CTD) it would be in seconds. Right now the initial join and map loading seems way longer.

Having said that the game is still really fun but it's a sad to see that BF3 is still pulling in more concurrent players on local servers even during a double XP weekend.

manhack

Alot of folks are saying they should of waited a year to release it. Well, almost 1 year after release and the bugs are still not all gone and this is with a live play environment and the new CTE. Not saying they shouldn't of waited, but they would of never found all these bugs without putting the game out.

Maybe all these issues are a because these games are more complicated to program and test than any other games made before them? State-of-the-art graphics, multiplayer, single-player and released on 5 platforms simultaneously.

Is there any other game released with the same scope that has no issues?

Gator86

Alot of folks are saying they should of waited a year to release it. Well, almost 1 year after release and the bugs are still not all gone and this is with a live play environment and the new CTE. Not saying they shouldn't of waited, but they would of never found all these bugs without putting the game out.

Maybe all these issues are a because these games are more complicated to program and test than any other games made before them? State-of-the-art graphics, multiplayer, single-player and released on 5 platforms simultaneously.

It's been almost an entire year. Very few games go that long messed up after release. Do you really think testers wouldn't notice the horrific rubberbanding that plagued the game for months? Would they not notice the fact that the game's much lauded "levolution" brings the game to 5fps or less on most of the maps? Could they not realize that running the servers at a tick rate far below all other FPS games might be an issue?

The game is a lot of fun but to pretend all of this couldn't be avoided is kind of insincere.

Rockyrock

Alot of folks are saying they should of waited a year to release it. Well, almost 1 year after release and the bugs are still not all gone and this is with a live play environment and the new CTE.

please list me all the games you've played with 0 bugs.

and go....

Bobby_Sullivan

Neo Member
I tried to play it and it was running at 0-1 FPS, it took me 20 minutes to load a map.

I checked my clock speeds on my CPU and GPU as well as my temperatures and everything was working fine.

Is anyone else having this issue?

geordiemp

It's been almost an entire year. Very few games go that long messed up after release. Do you really think testers wouldn't notice the horrific rubberbanding that plagued the game for months? Would they not notice the fact that the game's much lauded "levolution" brings the game to 5fps or less on most of the maps? Could they not realize that running the servers at a tick rate far below all other FPS games might be an issue?

The game is a lot of fun but to pretend all of this couldn't be avoided is kind of insincere.

Is the tick rate still really bad - its the main reason Ive never got into battlefield since bad company.

Gator86

Is the tick rate still really bad - its the main reason Ive never got into battlefield since bad company.

They implemented a fix that seemed to improve things a lot. There's way fewer times you'll run behind cover then die to the guy who was shooting you a second ago.

Congratulations to everyone at EA and DICE. It may have taken longer than they would have liked, but it's a big game on a lot of platforms with a lot of moving parts. I'm sure lessons learned with this game will be applied to Battlefield: Hardline due in the fall of this year, and that its launch will be smooth!

Holy whaaaat! And you are ok with that? That's insane!

"Hey, don't worry about it guys, I can drive. The seizures only last like 12 seconds"
Lol indeed.

I had that happen a few times in the Hardline beta as well, so it doesn't look like it's going anywhere.

xinek

After a session last night of getting killed behind concrete barriers, around corners, and one vehicle glitch after another, I finally sold my copy last night toward a Smash Bros pre-order. Good riddance. BF4 was a great game in some ways with a lot of potential, and I'll miss 64 player conquest on Operation Locker. But there are too many other games coming out for PS4 -- Destiny, TLOU and it's awesome multiplayer, PvZ. And that's just this year! 2015 is going to be krazy.

Sorry Battlefield series, it's been fun. But you have too much competition now for me to stay in this abusive relationship.

Honestly I bought the game at launch for the 360.. broken mess so never played it much. Got my PS4 in Feb. and sold/re-bought the game for the new gen. Had a lot of problems but more manageable.

Right now, at least for me, it's night and day. I'm having a lot more fun than before. There's still somethings that need to be fixed. I'm hoping with the new DLC incoming that they input some of the CTE fixes in with it. I found a little work around with the SP deleted save bug so I haven't really had a problem with that.

But overall it's still my go to shooter, it might get replaced with Destiny but still get played

GoaThief

It was broken for the first week on PS4. After that it was just people who didnt like EA
You know it's comments like the above that finally made me cave and buy the bloody thing. I think most realise there are far too many hyperbolic posts online about nearly every game out there which exaggerate it's flaws to a ridiculous extent. I expected bugs in Battlefield 4's case, and statements like the above quote certainly gave the impression that it would be a flawed but fun experience - it's not a sketchy indie game after all.

Gert fuckin' bollocks it was

Finally gave the game a shot (XB1 rental) after all the negativity surrounding the game. I kept hearing & reading how BF4 is much better. Well, I'm sending it back after a few days because I can't get through the campaign without the game dropping out & ruining progression. Last night was the final straw as it had the audacity to drop out deep into a few missions & brought me back like 2-3 missions before it. Done with it. Most absurd video game release ever. The game is simply unplayable.

Now this second quote is the actual truth. No hyperbole. Battlefield 4 is broken. The only game I've played in God knows how long (and I play a lot) which I'd honestly call outright broken, especially for a big name release. I am honestly not one to slate a rough game as enjoyment can usually be had but BF4 is really pushing it.

Cantthink278, I hope you reconsider making such posts in the future. It's not helpful in the least, if not downright disingenuous as quite a few have already pointed out albeit in less friendly tones.

*edit
Congratulations to everyone at EA and DICE. It may have taken longer than they would have liked, but it's a big game on a lot of platforms with a lot of moving parts. I'm sure lessons learned with this game will be applied to Battlefield: Hardline due in the fall of this year, and that its launch will be smooth!
(^_-)

Tain

I've been super-lucky with this game. Been playing it since like a month after launch on PC and never ran into any big issues.

My friends haven't been so lucky, so it's not like I doubt anybody having issues, but I've had a really good time with the game myself.

I haven't played it in at least a month, but I haven't deleted it yet.

It has improved, but there's no way I'm supporting Hardline. The next BF I buy will far after launch, if ever.

no the game is still broken. Im starting to bounce underneath the maps now in MP. Its fucking ridiculous!

Also i can never pick up the weapons that spawn on the maps such as the grenade launcher. Everytime i try, it just throws it back down on the ground.

EDIT: this is on PS4 OP

Can I play the SP campaign on PS4 safely yet? I've been waiting for that since release.

No, you can't. But if you just make regular backups to + or USB you should be fine. It's what I ended up doing after making it halfway through the campaign 4 times then losing it all.

Dysun

I've played BF4 more than any other game this year. Loved it, although the Second Assault and Naval Strike DLC's were weak

I've played BF4 more than any other game this year. Loved it, although the Second Assault and Naval Strike DLC's were weak
Did/do you play Naval Strike on Conquest mode? I think it is a big difference compared to team deathmatch. Agree with you on Second Assault.

Unless the single player game save deletion bug is fixed, then BF4 is still broken. They put a lot of money into SP, as well as MP unlocks, and then leave in a game breaking bug? How is that okay? Unless you willing to play through game in a single day, its pretty much unbeatable. (The the USB backup method didn't even work %100 for me)

I Still get instances where guns, textures, and sound don't load for about 10 seconds at the beginning of a match. I had the packet loss icon pop up over the weekend on the dam map during a conquest map

no the game is still broken. Im starting to bounce underneath the maps now in MP. Its fucking ridiculous!

Also i can never pick up the weapons that spawn on the maps such as the grenade launcher. Everytime i try, it just throws it back down on the ground.

EDIT: this is on PS4 OP

The Battle Pickups have been like that since launch and still have yet to be fixed (on all platforms). Sometimes it takes several tries to finally keep the pickup. And Dice had the nerve (in Gamespot's Dragons Teeth preview) to say that they found the majority of players weren't using the Battle Pickups. Well, gee, I wonder why people don't use them.

I don't see anyone really using the R.A.W.R. now either, people only used it for the Achievement/Trophy because it's a death trap trying to pick those damn things up.

Fonz72

New DLC maps on PS4 have just as much lag and rubber banding as the rest. At least when playing chainlink.

Game hasn't been broken for god knows how long, but you know internet.

Reputation sticks, regardless of any changes in circumstance.

Game hasn't been broken for god knows how long, but you know internet.

Reputation sticks, regardless of any changes in circumstance.

Yeah, bunch of liars all up in this thread! Everybody wanting to be all cool and hating on EA. You want a game with no bugs, play tic-tac-toe, n00bz!

I agree with OP, been playing a ton of BF4 on pc lately. I got up to the 40's in level on titanfall and then went back to BF as my main shooter, it's so good. Just waiting on a good sale to pick up premium.

PC.
I've been crashfree from probably January until this past week or so, during which it has crashed three times.

And for the second time in three days now, there's some fubar going on with Battlelog and/or Origin. Currently I can not log into Battlelog and consequently can't play Battlefield 4.
We are sorry, something went wrong during your login. Please try again.
Lol Battlelog is down completely today. Game is working perfectly ;)

Oh that's good/bad that it's not just me.

Battlefield fan appreciation month, everyone.

RP912

Banned
It's like 50/50 over here on the pc side. I can get in one day and have issues the next. Random lag and crashes. Holy balls this game is good when it works but a nightmare on a regular basis.

I've still got issues where I'm shooting at an invisible wall when I go prone on top of a building. Not sure if this is a feature to prevent you from camp on the top building

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I didn't have too many issues when I played recently, did have a bug when I got revived. I could still see people and spot them, couldn't do anything else and nobody could kill me, had to suicide to fix it.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

All games have bugs. The question is whether they ruin the play experience. That's always a matter of opinion. Some bugs even end up being features (such as strafe jumping) Other bugs are potential exploits and have to be patched quickly.

I think any narrative about a game being broken should include specific reasons. I have more issues with the balance in BF4 than the bugs. For example, sniping is stupid OP. Thanks for nerfing suppression DICE. And then they made LMGs more accurate so they can join the camping fun too. Yay, lets all shoot each other from a mile away and not play the objectives.

Top Bottom