• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 Xbox 360 alpha screens leak (many don't have textures, broken geometry)

sp3000

Player count on current consoles

It's got nothing to do with that. There has been one chopper per team since BF2 even on the 64 player maps. Just like how there are always two jets per team.

It's more to do with DICE's strange idea of what goes for balance.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
No, like, for free. Just skip all that leveling. Put an option in the menu that gets rid of my rank and my K-D so all there are are all the options and gameplay. None of that grinding that gives all of those idiots "a reason to play the game."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. For free? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

mr_nothin

Banned
It's got nothing to do with that. There has been one chopper per team since BF2 even on the 64 player maps. Just like how there are always two jets per team.

It's more to do with DICE's strange idea of what goes for balance.

But they had 2 blackhawks in BF2 right? I dont remember if they allow 2 in BF3 but I sure as hell dont think they do

Nicolas-Cage-Laugh.gif

yeah.... not so much for everyone. Runs fine for me and ran fine on my old card.

It's pushing some of the best lighting and motion blur and graphics I've ever seen and it runs fine for most people. Sometimes PhysX can cause problems, but that's PhysX being PhysX.

EDIT: also, playing with a structured platoon is the end game.

It's like if WoW Skipped all the crap and gave you only "End-game" content, people'd whine about no end-game.

Nicolas-Cage-Laugh.gif

Yeah, if PS2 ran like shit in big battles on a i7 + dual 580's, you think it's going to run better on a shitty PS4? I think you got your hopes up too high.

Grief.exe

Nicolas-Cage-Laugh.gif

Yeah, if PS2 ran like shit in big battles on a i7 + dual 580's, you think it's going to run better on a shitty PS4? I think you got your hopes up too high.

They are probably going to bother to optimize it for the PS4.

I can't believe people actually use PS2 in any arguments, it was well known that the game came out half baked with completely unoptimized code.

Theory here, maybe one of the reasons Sony hasn't put too much effort into optimizing PS2 is because it is coming to PS4. If it runs buttery smooth on their console, but still struggles on PCs people will take notice.

Nicolas-Cage-Laugh.gif

It's not optimized for multi-threading. It literally only runs on one or two cores on PC. Smedly said they have a separate team optimizing for PS4 and its 8 cores which should yield better performance on PC.

https://twitter.com/j_smedley/status/342359676014444545
https://twitter.com/j_smedley/status/342359277706547200

mr_nothin

Banned
Nicolas-Cage-Laugh.gif

They're multi-core support isnt that great right now. They now have a dedicated team working specifically on multi-core support for the PS4 and that will transfer into better performance for PCs. The devs have stated this.

They are probably going to bother to optimize it for the PS4.

I can't believe people actually use PS2 in any arguments, it was well known that the game came out half baked with completely unoptimized code.

Nah, most people know, or knew, this already but then again there are 2000 players fighting each other and sometimes 300+ just in 1 base/hex.
We all know it was just a beta for the PS4 version :D but hey, it's free so cant complain too much.

Spazznid

Nicolas-Cage-Laugh.gif

My stock i5 and single 580 runs it fine. 60 fps out of battle at max with PhysX on, and around 35-40 in battles.

Turning PhysX off fixes a lot of stuff too.

please read my comment that you quoted, again, I said the opposite of what it seems like you think I said.

Edit: AAAAHHHHH ALL THE GIFS ARE WITH US!!!

DTKT

PS2 always ran like garbage for me. I5-750 at 3.7 and a 670 and I would be lucky to hit 30-35 in really big fights. Since that's what PS2 can be reduced to, it made for a pretty unfun experience. That's not to mention the lack of long-term goals, the boring gunplay or the awful base fights.

mr_nothin

Banned
PS2 always ran like garbage for me. I5-750 at 3.7 and a 670 and I would be lucky to hit 30-35 in really big fights. Since that's what PS2 can be reduced to, it made for a pretty unfun experience. That's not to mention the lack of long-term goals, the boring gunplay or the awful base fights.

i7 3770k @ 4.4ghz & 670 here and I can run PS2 at absolute max settings (ini tweaks) and get about 70-120fps outside of battles and 50-80fps in BIG battles now.

My stock i5 and single 580 runs it fine. 60 fps out of battle at max with PhysX on, and around 35-40 in battles.

Turning PhysX off fixes a lot of stuff too.

please read my comment that you quoted, again, I said the opposite of what it seems like you think I said.

Edit: AAAAHHHHH ALL THE GIFS ARE WITH US!!!

Ummm, 35-40 fps isn't considered good performance.

Irregardless, I was a big fan of PS1. PS 2 really failed to capture that magic. A year from now it's going to end up being one of those 'what went wrong? All the magic was in place' stories that ends up being a post-mortem.

mr_nothin

Banned

Irregardless, I was a big fan of PS1. PS 2 really failed to capture that magic. A year from now it's going to end up being one of those 'what went wrong? All the magic was in place' stories that ends up being a post-mortem.

Well they just added the lattice back in and they're working on more PS1 mechanics to bring over too...just updated for PS2. In a year from now, it'll be....omg wow, it's improved so much!
Hell, it already has improved immensely since it's release. You should look at episode 34 of FNO to see what they have for base updates on Esamir :p

Spazznid

I'm sorry, but really, if either of these games provides long term goals, it's PS2.

BF has the goal of winning a match, whereas PS2 long-term goals would be gaining control of a continent, which could take an entire night if the opposition is strong, and alerts which result in some of the finest battles I've seen in my life.

Riding with a competent Platoon (of which there are many on most servers I've played on) and taking bases whilst the enemy is always at your neck. Learning the names of the men and women who you are facing, as well as those who you fight along side. Changing the tide of battle by coming to the aid of another 128-man platoon, to defend a high priority piece of land. And finishing the night off with the entire map bathed in your colors.

I love BF, I am that eagle thing with a 4 rank, after you get past rank 100 or whatever. Played well over 250 hours in it and still play today. It's a great game that could be better. I don't want to argue, but some of the hate in here just seems unwarranted. For both sides.

Roland1979

I see there are "booster" packs one can buy with in game currency for random items? *sigh*

Exactly! I thought about Team Fortress 2 right away, it's random drops, and then... fp2.
Not that this is going to be f2p but it has micro-transactions/heavy dlc vibe. Hope I'm wrong.

Well they just added the lattice back in and they're working on more PS1 mechanics to bring over too...just updated for PS2. In a year from now, it'll be....omg wow, it's improved so much!

Hell, it already has improved immensely since it's release.

Yeah but man, at that point it'll be too late. It'll be way forgotten and pushed aside like many of these F2P games go.

It's really a shame, but the gaming landscape is totally different from what it was when PS1 was released. They should of waited and released it when it was fully optimized and could run at a great framerate. Instead, the BF series has been consistent since 1942 and I just see it getting better and better.

Meh. Wonder how much EA Spacebux the platinum loot chests are?

Bought BF3 on all 3 platforms and premium on my 360. Sunk in 500+ hours in the multiplayer and i think im just done with the series for now.

Played a bit of PS2 on my pc but it was not the ideal machine for it. Looking forward the PS4 port. It seems SOE accutally listens to there customers and is at least open to listening to feedback.

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of PS1 but I still enjoy PS2. I actually still play PS1 now that it's free to play but I still enjoy PS2's gameplay more. They just need to take more elements from PS1 that made it great and add them to PS2. Things like implants, continent locking, global lattice, sanctuaries, etc. Some of these things are already in the roadmap and we've already gotten a continental lattice system so I am confident sometime in the future PS2 will be considered an objectively better game than PS1 is every aspect.

mr_nothin

Banned
Yeah but man, at that point it'll be too late. It'll be way forgotten and pushed aside like many of these F2P games go.

It's really a shame, but the gaming landscape is totally different from what it was when PS1 was released. They should of waited and released it when it was fully optimized and could run at a great framerate. Instead, the BF series has been consistent since 1942 and I just see it getting better and better.

I agree. Things are improving rapidly though. Things are coming, keep the hope up!
BF3 was fun but it wasnt BF, they should have released it as BC3. If they release another BC game after turning the BF series into BC then I quit DICE forever.

Its because of your CPU.

A single thread of yours is significantly faster than his.

Yep,
:D

On Esamir, I get 70-80fps in huge battles. I was like :O when I 1st noticed.

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of PS1 but I still enjoy PS2. I actually still play PS1 now that it's free to play but I still enjoy PS2's gameplay more. They just need to take more elements from PS1 that made it great and add them to PS2. Things like implants, continent locking, global lattice, sanctuaries, etc. Some of these things are already in the roadmap and we've already gottena continental lattice system so I am confident sometime in the future PS2 will be considered an objectively better game than PS1 is every aspect.

Yeah, but at that point too bad no one will be playing it except for the die-hards. Expect a 'Red Orchestra' situation with this one.

Spazznid

I'd disagree on that. I thought it took a big step backwards with 3. Especially coming from 2, but even from BC2, it felt like it lacked a lot. Not counting more players, but BC2 sounded better to me, I know it's an opinion. But no commander mode, and Easy Button DLC, Battlelog, and the music.

I like battlelog, but updating it is always a nightmare... Chrome does it perfectly, but Firefox, Waterfox, Palemoon, all have issues...

I agree. Things are improving rapidly though. Things are coming, keep the hope up!
BF3 was fun but it wasnt BF, they should have released it as BC3. If they release another BC game after turning the BF series into BC then I quit DICE forever.

Yep,
:D

On Esamir, I get 70-80fps in huge battles. I was like :O when I 1st noticed.

Since we were Battlebro's, I'm going to respectfully disagree with you. BF3 was the best game of 'this generation', and in my mind has the best gun on gun action in MP since Quake. I can't wait for BF4.

sp3000

Since we were Battlebro's, I'm going to respectfully disagree with you. BF3 was the best game of 'this generation', and in my mind has the best gun on gun action in MP since Quake. I can't wait for BF4.

It's gunplay is good but it's hitdetection is probably the worst of the entire generation.

mr_nothin

Banned
It's gunplay is good but it's hitdetection is probably the worst of the entire generation.

Was just going to say that. Gun on gun WAS amazing but the hit detection made it completely frustrating. Another reason why the Alpha was a lot better. Hit detection was a lot better back then.
But yea battlebros for life SirButter :D

Gabe Newell said it best when he said that more CPU cores will bring more problems to PC gaming. It been like 6 years since quad cores CPUs and devs still haven't figure a way to utilize more than 2 cores in their games. It's absolutely ridiculous that even a 5 years old game like GTA IV cannot be maxed at 60 FPS because of the poor CPU optimization.

Gabe Newell said it best when he said that more CPU cores will bring more problems to PC gaming. It been like 6 years since quad cores CPUs and devs still haven't figure a way to utilize more than 2 cores in their games. It's absolutely ridiculous that even a 5 years old game like GTA IV cannot be maxed at 60 FPS because of the poor CPU optimization.

I think this will change with the off the shelf PC parts being used next generation. Previously, 360 has a proprietary IBM cpu while Sony obviously had cell. Next gen both will be using x64 architecture which means better ports for PC.

sp3000

It's insanely difficult to use more than 2 cores, much less 4 or 8. If anyone has tried to program a multithreaded application they will realize why.

I think a lot of developers are going to have a hard time getting perfomance out of 8 cores next generation.

Well, at least the objective meter is no longer in the center of the screen...

That, or he may be standing outside but near to the capture zone.

They need to make sure friends/parties aren't broken up when there are 8 or so people playing together.

That and allow for in-game chat on the PC version. It baffles me still today that Battlefield 3 PC doesn't support in-game chat.

DTKT

I think it's worth mentioning that there seems to be a "play" or "record" button near the top right corner.

Game recorder?

Damn you all with that logic. I really hope they include a Battle Recorder this time.

Top Bottom