• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 Xbox 360 alpha screens leak (many don't have textures, broken geometry)

Milchjon

77239RNh.jpg

They've made a huge mistake!

FGMPR

Banned
I simply won't buy the game with those shitty unlocks. BF is such a random mess with way too many vehicles; it makes playing as an infantryman feel like some blown up game of 'Frogger', except in BF's case the traffic is heavily armed. The unlocks in the last game only made it worse for anyone who didn't want to spend hundreds of hours (or bend over and take it up the arse via a typical paid EA unlock). Punishing new players for being new is such a backwards way to design a game. Ugghh.

KaiserBecks

*sigh*
Looks like Battlefield 3.5
And still only 4 classes :/

BUT, this gives me so much hope!
Commander mode hints :D

I don't know if we need any more classes, but they need to change the way people
pick them. I think the class system in Red Orchestra works much better: you can pick a class, but the number of slots are limited. That way, you don't end up having 20 Snipers and 20 Machine Gunners in your team and weapons like LMGs and sniper rifles actually hurt people. Damage needs to be based on caliber, otherwise they shouldn't bother having heavier rifles at all.

Ah yes, didn't even see that, had the image on a small monitor and the top part was cut off. Scorpion it is.

Can't wait, Scorpion is an awesome looking weapon.

It's also in Arma 2 (Army of Czech Republic DLC). It looks nice, but it's just a 9mm sub machine gun.

FGMPR

Banned
I don't know if we need any more classes, but they need to change the way people
pick them. I think the class system in Red Orchestra works much better: you can pick a class, but the number of slots are limited. That way, you don't end up having 20 Snipers and 20 Machine Gunners in your team and weapons like LMGs and sniper rifles actually hurt people. Damage needs to be based on caliber, otherwise they shouldn't bother having heavier rifles at all.

BF could learn so much from Red Orchestra. Limit the vehicles. Make them a separate class on their own. Make them scary, but limit them ffs. Another thing they should learn is that placing two specific points on the map that act as goals leads to a meatgrinder for those who want to do right by the team, and rewards those who don't. They get to sit back and buff up their K/D ratio whilst us poor team players are forced to expose ourselves over and over again. Expand the rush points to the size of conquest capture points at least. That way people who enjoy camping can still camp and do something useful and team players don't get punished for doing the right thing. It would also create a minor 'front-line' effect that would give the game some real structure and promote team-work because all of a sudden, flanking would become a key to victory.

Unfortunately, it seems EA/Dice aren't interested in making BF feel like an actual battle, though at least they are bringing commander back.

Skidd

Dice can't be foolish enough to make the packs the only method to unlock new stuff.

It all must still be XP/rank based system like in BF3, but if you want to, you can try unlocking that one good gun early instead of reaching rank 40. Plus, I'd imagine they contain random customization items like skins, rare mods or xp boosts.

This COULD be a cool thing to have once you've reached max rank.

Odahviing

Banned
Dice can't be foolish enough to make the packs the only method to unlock new stuff.

It all must still be XP/rank based system like in BF3, but if you want to, you can try unlocking that one good gun early instead of reaching rank 40. Plus, I'd imagine they contain random customization items like skins, rare mods or xp boosts.

This COULD be a cool thing to have once you've reached max rank.

NeoGAF damaged my brain so much already that I misread "COULD" as "CLOUD"

:/

test_account

XP-39C²
As far as sequel vs. expansion goes that is just a semantics game in today's industry. I wouldn't call it a sequel or an expansion, I'd call it a refresh. Might as well call it BF3 2013.
A refresh or BF3 2013 would indicate that it is BF3 with additional content, at least that is how i would understand it. This is not what BF4 is. BF4 will be a new game, and most of what we saw in BF3 will not be in BF4 (primarily the single player campaign and the multiplayer maps). While there could be some semantics as you mention indeed, i think the general distinction between an expansion and a sequel is the amount of new content that is included.

Vasili2K38

I've always said that Battlefield 3 (even with its flaws) its my favorite MP game of all time, but I hate with all my soul the Pachinko mechanic of the "EA packs", even more in a competitive online game which is not F2P. If the packs only featured cosmetic items, I wouldn't mind, but this is EA, and from we can see from the leaked screenshots the packs also unlock accesories, and we have categories of items, so I'm 99% sure that the standard unlocking will be very hard to get, so you will have to buy the damn packs. And you have the 50€ game, Battlefield Premium, etc..

So it the end, fuck you EA and it was nice knowing you Battlefield :´(

Lakitu

st5fu
I've always said that Battlefield 3 (even with its flaws) its my favorite MP game of all time, but I hate with all my soul the Pachinko mechanic of the "EA packs", even more in a competitive online game which is not F2P. If the packs only featured cosmetic items, I wouldn't mind, but this is EA, and from we can see from the leaked screenshots the packs also unlock accesories, and we have categories of items, so I'm 99% sure that the standard unlocking will be very hard to get, so you will have to buy the damn packs. And you have the 50€ game, Battlefield Premium, etc..

So it the end, fuck you EA and it was nice knowing you Battlefield :´(

The system seems to be similar to Battlefield 3, which wasn't hard at all. Yeah, sure you had to do a few assignments to unlock DLC weapons but again, they were very easy.

lazydom

I'm torn as to whether or not its a good idea, a plus point is that for those late to the party it's almost impossible to unlock anything in a jet or helicopter because you start without countermeasures, a loot system may fix this.

Vasili2K38

The system seems to be similar to Battlefield 3, which wasn't hard at all. Yeah, sure you had to do a few assignments to unlock DLC weapons but again, they were very easy.

Even if some of the "assignments" were retarded, I didn't mind it, but how this is the same thing? I'm sure you will unlock some "packs" (and you can see in the leaked screenshots) in the natural progression, and if you're Premium you will have some free packs every month (ala Season Ticket from Fifa for example), but then you will have to pay for it. Microtransactions in a full price game? Its a despicable practice..

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Hmmm, where have I seen a modern combat game set in NYC recently?

[edit]Oh, whoops, it's Shanghai. My bad.

oh fuck off dice... what is this shit.

EA nickel and fucking diming :(

I simply won't buy the game with those shitty unlocks. BF is such a random mess with way too many vehicles; it makes playing as an infantryman feel like some blown up game of 'Frogger', except in BF's case the traffic is heavily armed. The unlocks in the last game only made it worse for anyone who didn't want to spend hundreds of hours (or bend over and take it up the arse via a typical paid EA unlock). Punishing new players for being new is such a backwards way to design a game. Ugghh.

I love Battlefield. But Im not so sure about this.
Bad Company 2 was the last great BF game. BF3 turned into a joke.

Lakitu

st5fu
Even if some of the "assignments" were retarded, I didn't mind it, but how this is the same thing? I'm sure you will unlock some "packs" (and you can see in the leaked screenshots) in the natural progression, and if you're Premium you will have some free packs every month (ala Season Ticket from Fifa for example), but then you will have to pay for it. Microtransactions in a full price game? Its a despicable practice..

Oh you're right, I agree. Microtransactions are wank and a horrible business practice, but just saying all the mugs who fall for it won't really have an advantage over the good players in the game who will unlock the stuff the normal way. Like the shortcut packs in BF 3's store.

SpyGuy239

Wow city combat! I'm gonna love this.

But damn the Battlepacks BS really ruins it for me. Why the hell do we need shit like that?

Vasili2K38

Oh you're right, I agree. Microtransactions are wank and a horrible business practice, but just saying all the mugs who fall for it won't really have an advantage over the good players in the game who will unlock the stuff the normal way. Like the shortcut packs in BF 3's store.

Yeah, I didn't remember that. Now I see your point, but as I said in my first post, my biggest fear (and this is EA, remember) is that they will make the normal unlocking hard and grinding like hell in order to get the people buy the packs. I don't know, I will wait to see more details and the expected multiplayer reveal in E3, but I'm very skeptical :/ .

Nokterian

Assignments are the worst. Want a camo for your weapon? Fuck you just do 200 of this 400 of this and 150 with that. Same thing for a new weapons. I do not have the time for that and those carrot on a stick things are such annoying.

Really on the fence for this.

For BF3 there was no competition in my mind, PC all the way. But I'm actually eyeing the PS4 for this one. Only if it has dedicated servers and 64 players like on PC.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Really on the fence for this.

For BF3 there was no competition in my mind, PC all the way. But I'm actually eyeing the PS4 for this one. Only if it has dedicated servers and 64 players like on PC.

All the BF games have had dedicated servers on consoles so that's one down. I think 64 players is almost guaranteed.

sam27368

Banned
Assignments are the worst. Want a camo for your weapon? Fuck you just do 200 of this 400 of this and 150 with that. Same thing for a new weapons. I do not have the time for that and those carrot on a stick things are such annoying.
Isn't this what battle packs are for? So if you don't have the time you can get one and catch up with the crowd instead of being left behind? As long as the normal levelling up stays the same I don't see the issue?

These battle packs sound like the prize boxes you acquire in Gears Judgement from just playing the game. Or am I just misunderstanding and these are packs you have to pay money for?

NIN90

XP boosts aren't cosmetic stuff, dude. Nor are Weapon attachments.

I still fail to see what the big deal is. Weapon attachments are so insignificant (and are bound to be earned in traditional ways aswell) and XP boosts are so... I dunno... meh? Not really an incentive to waste real money.
Then again... this is EA so they are bound to fuck it up.

EDIT: And you get these boxes by purely playing the game, too.

watchdog

Looks like we are still stuck with small maps

NIa8hFVh.jpg

Oh, come on. It's one picture from the 360 alpha. If you look at the server browser picture it looks like the games might be limited to 24 players. I suspect that the maps will be much larger in the final build.

Top Bottom