• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 Xbox 360 alpha screens leak (many don't have textures, broken geometry)

These battle packs sound like the prize boxes you acquire in Gears Judgement from just playing the game. Or am I just misunderstanding and these are packs you have to pay money for?

Or multiplayer packs in Mass Effect 3.

Its a grind to get things..
or pay to buy to get them, and even then its still a random gamble.

rvy

Banned
I still fail to see what the big deal is. Weapon attachments are so insignificant (and are bound to be earned in traditional ways aswell) and XP boosts are so... I dunno... meh? Not really an incentive to waste real money.
Then again... this is EA so they are bound to fuck it up.

EDIT: And you get these boxes by purely playing the game, too.

Watch them sell you XP boosts for money.

Lakitu

st5fu
Oh, come on. It's one picture from the 360 alpha. If you look at the server browser picture it looks like the games might be limited to 24 players. I suspect that the maps will be much larger in the final build.

Yep, it's a work on a progress but I bet it's going to be 3 or 4 flags with 24 players and then 5 or 6 flags with 64. From that map it seems to be the size of an Aftermath map which is fine by me.

Nokterian

Isn't this what battle packs are for? So if you don't have the time you can get one and catch up with the crowd instead of being left behind? As long as the normal levelling up stays the same I don't see the issue?

No assigments are in BF3. When you want a new weapon to unlock you need to 1000 things before you get it. Those battlepacks in BF4 are random stuff like weapons,skins,attachments etc. And that is no good for first person shooter. You have people who have better stuff then others and it is all random that makes it even worse.

The_Monk

I'm really curious to see Multiplayer gameplay of this on the PS4. Hope everything turns out great, I miss playing some BF matches.

Thanks for posting fellow GAFfer.

It is funny i didnt see people complain about super mario galaxy 2 looking like the first one. But hey it seems there is some unjustified double standard going on.

sam27368

Banned
It is funny i didnt see people conplain about super mario galaxy 2 looking like the first one.
What's funnier is people moaning over an untextured map and a UI. The UI looks like an improvement over the last and the new weapon models and hands look a hell of a lot better already, I can't wait to see the map! Map is called Shanghai, that is going to be super cool to see all under attack, smoky and atmospheric.

NIN90

No assigments are in BF3. When you want a new weapon to unlock you need to 1000 things before you get it. Those battlepacks in BF4 are random stuff like weapons,skins,attachments etc. And that is no good for first person shooter. You have people who have better stuff then others and it is all random that makes it even worse.

I would say the current model of "who poop-socks the most gets the best guns earlier" is just as bad if not worse.

Omni

I can't wait for this. Will be day 1 on next gen consoles. Won't even bother to buy on 360 though (like I did BF3). Can't see too much of a jump happening.

Christ this thread is a beacon of negativity. Talk about jumping to conclusions based upon Alpha shots.

itsgreen

Random, not approved, screenshots from unfinished parts of an unfinished game don't look great you say? I for one am SHOCKED.

You can't judge a games quality by looking at a game in a completely unfinished, texture-less state... there's no telling what the end result will look like, most of the stuff you see are placeholders.

This game is Battlefield 3.5 :O

lol now now, lets reach that conclusion if its like that by the Beta :p
Seriously though, had this been on pc/ps4/xbone I may have somewhat agreed, but seeing that its 360/PS3, Im inclined to believe they are straight up recycling BF3 assets. Its still EA.. and one look at Fifa 14 shows zero improvment over Fifa 13 graphically and it will stay that way until the eventual Fifa 17/18 360/PS3 releases too.

Omni

Random, not approved, screenshots from an unfinished parts of an unfinished game don't look great you say? I for one am SHOCKED.

Yeah. Doesn't make sense. I thought all games looked like Crysis 3 during all stages of development.

Weird.

There's a gun icon on the minimap in some shots. Dunno.

At a quick glance this "Siege" map seems not good. Linear with one obvious chokepoint. Looks like it's a smaller version of a larger map.

The idea of random "rewards" (which they will monetize) sounds god awful. Unless it's purely cosmetic nonsense.

Rocket launcher, repair tool, ammo bag, explosives are unlockables now? Don't you do it DICE.

Hopefully someone will tell them they need to make you able to set squad specialization priorities and work out a way of automatically swapping those out whenever needed. It's a small thing but it's goddamned annoying.

Tank has ammo?

rvy

Banned
You can't judge a games quality by looking at a game in a completely unfinished, texture-less state... there's no telling what the end result will look like, most of the stuff you see are placeholders.

At least the alpha version probably runs at a decent framerate on 360, lol.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Watch them sell you XP boosts for money.

Be fine with me. I don't stress about what other people do with their money.

The core---spend no extra money---experience will be worth buying the game or it won't. If it isn't, then I'll start griping.

Madness

lHTAq1vh.jpg

Is this what I think it is?
"buy battlepacks to win a chance at better accessories!"

I think it'll be like Mass Effect 3. You buy premium packs that come with better weapons, characters, outfits etc. More microtransactions courtesy of EA.

everybody knows that 360/Ps3 versions cant hold up to X1/PS4/PC quality anyway. People who wants to play the game it is intended to can buy the superior next-gen version of course.

Xater

The Battlepacks thing looks super shitty. If that's the only way to get new stuff I am not buying this game. I am not playing to be part of a lottery.

I still fail to see what the big deal is. Weapon attachments are so insignificant (and are bound to be earned in traditional ways aswell) and XP boosts are so... I dunno... meh? Not really an incentive to waste real money.
Then again... this is EA so they are bound to fuck it up.

EDIT: And you get these boxes by purely playing the game, too.

Weapon attachments are not insignificant at all. Extended mag doubles LMG ammo capacity from 100 to 200. The bipod effectively removes any recoil.

From a pure unlocking perspective, I don't know if this will end up being worse or better than BF3's linear progression path. BF3 is really, really bad.

You still aren't able to unlock the things you want to, which is stupid, but it may occur that you unlock what you want faster (or slower) due to pure dumb (un)luck.

Either way, it's stupid.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Mass Effect 3 did well.

Yes, but Battlefield doesn't need Bioware's shit in it.

Why do I have to grind "Battlepoints" or whatever they're going to call them to get a random chance of a 2XP drop in addition to getting the AKS-74U?

The same horrible shit as Mass Effect 3's drops (want your Krogan multiplayer person? LOL GOOD LUCK GETTING IT) is going to be here, I'm calling it now.

(And watch DICE quadruple the fucking level cap AGAIN to where instead of 800 hours played you now need 3,200 hours played to reach Colonel Level 100 or whatever they're going to call the max level.)

sp3000 said:
Looks like we are still stuck with small maps

And the same linear 3 flag babby mode that's been there since BC2 on consoles.

DIIIIIIIIIIICE. Y U NO 5 FLAG ALL FLAGS CAPPED 10 SECOND LOSS LIKE BC1?

Hope that battlepacks will only contain extra's like making your soldier prettier not really gameplay changes. Otherwise this will not end well.

Seanspeed

Banned
Why do I have to grind "Battlepoints" or whatever they're going to call them to get a random chance of a 2XP drop in addition to getting the AKS-74U?
I dont think you *have* to. You can if you want.

People are being extremely cynical, as usual.

Jawmuncher

Ok I just gotta ask but did BF3 look like crap to anyone else on 360.
I remember playing the campaign and everything just looked terrible. I recall installing the HD textures from the other disc so I don't know why it looked so bad. Perhaps it wasn't accessing that data for some reason? Just wanted to throw that out there.

Seanspeed

Banned
Come on, you think theyd turn down a perfect opportunity for microtransactions?
Perfect example of the insane cynicism.

I would bet a large amount of money this stuff will be optional.

I remember playing the campaign and everything just looked terrible. I recall installing the HD textures from the other disc so I don't know why it looked so bad. Perhaps it wasn't accessing that data for some reason? Just wanted to throw that out there.

I thought it looked damn good overall.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

With the HD textures it looked pretty good.

Roland1979

Perfect example of the insane cynicism.
I would bet a large amount of money this stuff will be optional.
Maybe it will not became pay to win. But if you have to do heavy grinding and it becomes that, would you not agree that it would have ruined BF4?

Morthas

Neo Member
Meh.

I played Battlefield 3 and it was the last of the franchise I was exited for. I remember that livestream where they promised first MP footage and only thing we got was an annoying host.

But to be honest, I can't get exited about Battlefield anymore. Battlefiel 4 looks like 3 and apparently, it plays as BF3 as well. It's just boring. It's the CODisation of Battlefield. But it's no surprise for me, as Dice was bought by EA a long time ago. Maybe that's why I think that BF1942 is the best of the franchise (followed by BF2).

I mean, they'll probably have one big feature - the return of the commander - and tell everyone how new and exciting this game is, where it's just BF 3.5 where you have to pay for everything you actually already have with BF3.

Also, as it's EA that publishes it, there will be tons of DLC, passes and all that stuff that I hate. They'll milk this into the ground.

Meh.

Roland1979

Meh.

I played Battlefield 3 and it was the last of the franchise I was exited for. I remember that livestream where they promised first MP footage and only thing we got was an annoying host.

But to be honest, I can't get exited about Battlefield anymore. Battlefiel 4 looks like 3 and apparently, it plays as BF3 as well. It's just boring. It's the CODisation of Battlefield. But it's no surprise for me, as Dice was bought by EA a long time ago. Maybe that's why I think that BF1942 is the best of the franchise (followed by BF2).

I mean, they'll probably have one big feature - the return of the commander - and tell everyone how new and exciting this game is, where it's just BF 3.5 where you have to pay for everything you actually already have with BF3.

Also, as it's EA that publishes it, there will be tons of DLC, passes and all that stuff that I hate. They'll milk this into the ground.

Meh.
qft
EDIT: it would be brave if they returned to a WW2 theme, or even better, try WW1.

Top Bottom